Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ K_Z: Thanks for all the additional information on the renovations. I remember reading that JS was in some sort of conflict for a period of years over changes he wanted to make to the mansion. Very telling that suddenly after the deaths, he was free to reno his little heart out, but didn't follow through on the original changes he wanted to make to the mansion.

I agree with you that JS's influence will reassert itself as the case moves forward. But what I'm really curious about is, what form of "settlement" could Adam or either of the two women offer that would satisfy the Zahaus? Settling = financial payment to make it all go away, doesn't it?

I just can't imagine the Zahaus will agree to be paid off to go away without knowing what happened to Rebecca, and by whose hand.

What am I missing?

It's difficult to speculate what agreement the Zahaus might settle for. They do seem primarily interested in getting some answers. Perhaps any settlement on Adam's behalf could include him telling the family what happened that night. IIRC, most of these settlements are confidential. Adam could still walk away as it seems doubtful SDSO would be interested in reopening the case. The only pressure brought to bear on SDSO will be from the public, and they don't have much power these days when it comes to malfunctioning government. Kamala Harris is running for the US Senate, so she's not going to rock the boat. (I say this as a lifelong Democrat, I don't like her. I don't like the way she has failed to manage this case and that speaks to her overall character.)

I'm guessing Jonah's highly paid team have come up with a plan, one that gives the family the information they're seeking while protecting Adam and keeping all the details out of public view. Just one scenario, just speculating.

K-Z

I just wanted to thank you for all of the info on the mansion. I find it fascinating as a testament to the wealth and power of Jonas. Thanks for all your digging.

Adam will never settle this lawsuit, neither will Jonah.

Why? Because Adam is only guilty of trying to save Rebecca Zahau's life - when all he reallly wanted that morning was a cup of coffee.

Instead he opened the door of the guesthouse to a nightmare - one the Zahaus have tried to make $$$ from for almost 5 years. Even the discussion that they want to settle (which their court documents confirm) proves that the Zahaus only want money - and are "excited" by the possibility - as their sleazy lawyer said in a recent article.

Adam Shacknai is not autistic. I find it odd that the Zahau supporters want everyone involved to be autistic...Adam, Guy Jr, Max...that is just bizarre to me, why do you want so many autiistic people in one family? Makes no sense.

Adam is the Captain of a Tugboat that navigates the Mighty Mississippi, and he is the boss of a crew. He is not autistic. No, Adam is extremely intelligent, just like his brother. He just had the bad luck to have found Rebecca Zahau after her messed-up nude suicide. Looking at that would make anyone blurt out crazy things.

Nope, he is not autistic and will never settle this case.

It's difficult to speculate what agreement the Zahaus might settle for. They do seem primarily interested in getting some answers. Perhaps any settlement on Adam's behalf could include him telling the family what happened that night. IIRC, most of these settlements are confidential. Adam could still walk away as it seems doubtful SDSO would be interested in reopening the case. The only pressure brought to bear on SDSO will be from the public, and they don't have much power these days when it comes to malfunctioning government. Kamala Harris is running for the US Senate, so she's not going to rock the boat. (I say this as a lifelong Democrat, I don't like her. I don't like the way she has failed to manage this case and that speaks to her overall character.)

I'm guessing Jonah's highly paid team have come up with a plan, one that gives the family the information they're seeking while protecting Adam and keeping all the details out of public view. Just one scenario, just speculating.

BBM. Good analysis by you and I so agree. And, BTW, not only the details of Rebecca's death will IMO be kept out of view but the details of Max's death (and I don't mean that Rebecca or her sister were responsible) as well. There's a whole lot of buried information IMO and it is very doubtful there will eventually be clarity unless some impartial LE investigative entity decides to delve in deep.

Another poster said the Zahau's attorney commented in a recent article they were excited by the "possibility" of a settlement. Just to clarify, this is not what Atty Greer said.

From the snip below, attorney Greer's MSM comments from last week. The Zahau family and their attorney were excited over the "big moment" when the judge ruled the case was sufficient to proceed to trial. Attorney Greer also adds he believes he will be able to prove the allegations are true.

Snip-

After hearing arguments from attorneys on both sides of the case, San Diego Superior Court Judge Katherine Bacal concluded that the information contained in the plaintiffs’ complaint was sufficient for the case to proceed. She scheduled a jury trial for March 2017.

“We are very, very excited,” said Keith Greer, the plaintiffs’ attorney. “The family is very excited. This is a big moment.

“This lawsuit has come under so much scrutiny because it’s a complex case with very, very serious allegations,” he continued, adding that he believes he will be able to prove the allegations are true.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/11/judge-coronado-mansion-death-ruling/

^ Yes, they are excited about the thought of making some big cash.

^ Yes, they are excited about the thought of making some big cash.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I have to say this seems particularly mean spirited. It is one thing to believe, as you apparently do, that Rebecca committed suicide, but if that were true, could you not find it in your heart to extend a little sympathy for a family that has suffered an unexpected, tragic loss?

Do you know the family personally? Can you share what prompts such vehemence?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I have to say this seems particularly mean spirited. It is one thing to believe, as you apparently do, that Rebecca committed suicide, but if that were true, could you not find it in your heart to extend a little sympathy for a family that has suffered an unexpected, tragic loss?

Better words were never spoken. No kidding.

I had all the sympathy in the world for the Zahaus after the news broke. It was a terrible death.

I lost all of that sympathy when Mary Zahau-Loehner began her media campaign just 8 days after Rebecca's death on July 19, 2011, when the investigation had barely begun, and it was still being looked at as both a murder and a suicide by LE. Mary said then, "I will NEVER believe it was suicide".

Then, with the help of Anne Bremner, the celebrity attorney (funny, she has not mentioned this case since she left it, she must know it was suicide), Mary got her name into every news story she could stating she would never believe it was suicide and it must be murder.

Talk about a Rush To Judgement!!!

Mary and her family have tortured and tormented the Shacknai and Romano families for 4 1/2 years - when it is clear by the evidence that her sister killed herself.

I also think Mary knows much more about what actually happened to Max, why XZ was sent home so quickly without the knowledge of the detectives working on Max's case, and what really prompted Rebecca to hang herself.

Mary is angry she lost out on the Shacknai fortune when Rebecca killed herself, and I think she is greedy enough to try and frame innocent people - even if it was her sister that was responsible for their child's/nephew's death.

I find the Zahau family's actions absolutely disgusting. Trying to frame innocent people for $ - for a murder that never happened - is as low as killing cute little puppies for fun, in my opinion.

Dina Shacknai, Nina Romano, and Adam Shacknai also suffered a sudden, tragic loss, then had the horror of having to deal with Rebecca Zahau commmitting suicide, but I don't see any sympathy for them from the Zahau's or their supporters. KWIM?

I had all the sympathy in the world for the Zahaus after the news broke. It was a terrible death.

I lost all of that sympathy when Mary Zahau-Loehner began her media campaign just 8 days after Rebecca's death on July 19, 2011, when the investigation had barely begun, and it was still being looked at as both a murder and a suicide by LE. Mary said then, "I will NEVER believe it was suicide"...

Talk about a Rush To Judgement!!!

Mary and her family have tortured and tormented the Shacknai and Romano families for 4 1/2 years - when it is clear by the evidence that her sister killed herself.

I also think Mary knows much more about what actually happened to Max, why XZ was sent home so quickly without the knowledge of the detectives working on Max's case, and what really prompted Rebecca to hang herself.

Mary is angry she lost out on the Shacknai fortune when Rebecca killed herself, and I think she is greedy enough to try and frame innocent people - even if it was her sister that was responsible for their child's/nephew's death...

Dina Shacknai, Nina Romano, and Adam Shacknai also suffered a sudden, tragic loss, then had the horror of having to deal with Rebecca Zahau commmitting suicide, but I don't see any sympathy for them from the Zahau's or their supporters. KWIM?

I had to look up KWIM <know what I mean?> but I truly am not sure I do.

1) I think it is a common reaction among families of suicide victims to initially reject suicide as the cause of death of their loved one, so MZ-L's comment doesn't surprise me in the least. Furthermore, given just the barest facts - her sister was found naked, hanging from a balcony, with her hands tied behind her back and her feet tied together, I think her reaction was absolutely natural. Also, IIRC didn't Mary speak to Rebecca by phone earlier in the evening - and there was no hint of desperation or depression? I can certainly see how she would not be accepting of a suicide claim. I would certainly not call this a "Rush to Judgement" by any stretch.

2) How exactly have Mary and her family "tortured and tormented" the Shacknai and Romano families. I was under the impression - perhaps erroneously - that contact between the parties was limited. I also remember reading, though it may have been inaccurate, that JS said at Rebecca's funeral that he didn't believe Rebecca had killed herself.

3) I would disagree, as do most of the others who have followed the case and reviewed the evidence, that the "evidence is clear" that Rebecca committed suicide - I believe the EVIDENCE supports just the opposite. The jury (so to speak) is still out on this one.

4) I do agree that it is quite possible that Mary knows more about Max's accident. I would expect XZ to have told her sister details about that day that have never been made public - like who exactly was in the house at the time, what the timeline of the day was, when it was decided that she and the other kids would leave. There are many questions which I still have about the incident and in my own mind it is not clear how it happened or who was responsible. I do think the two deaths are linked. But I will ask this - if M thought Rebecca or XZ were responsible do you really think she and her family would be so insistent that the entire case be re-examined?

5) Are there any letters or public comments that state that Mary ever expected to benefit from the Shacknai fortune? I am not aware of any such statements but apparently you are so please share how you know this.

6) How exactly is the Zahau family trying to "frame" anyone? Surely, an accusation is not the same as framing anyone. Are you suggested that the Zahau's tampered with the evidence somehow? Or that some one tampered with the evidence or the scene on the Zahah's behalf. I guess I don't know what you mean by this comment.

7) Lastly, I agree with you that the loss of Max was a "sudden, tragic loss". However, that occurred AFTER Rebecca's death, not before. When Rebecca died Max was still alive, albeit gravely ill. If you don't feel that those who support the Zahau's cause have sympathy for the loss of that child then you clearly have not read the posts very carefully and on this point I can assure you that you are unequivocally wrong.

Please understand I am not trying to be argumentative but I am trying to understand your position and the passion you have for it. I am ready to listen to any evidence you can share.

K-Z

I just wanted to thank you for all of the info on the mansion. I find it fascinating as a testament to the wealth and power of Jonas. Thanks for all your digging.

Thanks, Cricketfern. Admittedly, there appears to be a rather vast societal chasm between “native” Coronado Islanders, and “new arrivals”/ tourists/ vacation property owners, if you spend a little time reading. “Natives” are passionate about preserving the aura, or mystique, or ambiance/ exclusivity of the island. That is in direct conflict with the need for an influx of “new money”, to fund the preservation of the heritage of the island, and keep the historic properties from crumbling. The “natives” strive mightily to remain in control of the “new invaders”, IMO.

As an example, there appears to be a very strident battle occurring over the painting of bicycle lanes on roadways on Coronado Island. “Paint stripe pollution”, lol! From the laughable histrionics of the natives, one would think that something like tourists on horseback, with the horses dropping dung everywhere, were cantering all over the driveways and front yards of native property owners, lowering their property values.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/23/coronado-bike-lanes/

Jonah, of course, along with his ex-wife Dina, is categorized as “new money”, definitely not native, and in need of tight control as far as property rights. Jonah is expected to work and play well with the natives. His money is welcome, as long as he cooperates with the locals. Dina is largely irrelevant, as she is neither a property owner, nor committed to the community—that’s part of why, IMO, when she flew into town for her attempt at 3 minutes of “public comments” to the city council fell on somewhat sympathetic, but markedly uncomfortable, deaf ears, IMO. Plus, the council had really no power to do anything at all in the situation (except maybe fire the police chief, which wasn't going to happen), so pretty much everyone saw Dina’s comments (well, criticism, really) in that inappropriate venue as kind of pitiful, and uncomfortably bringing even more unwanted negative publicity and scrutiny to their tony enclave. I think Dina knew the council couldn’t do a thing, either. They also knew she wasn’t a Coronado homeowner, nor a “scientist”, as she claimed.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ncil-for-Review-of-Sons-Death--170257296.html

Anyway, the take home conclusion is that neither Jonah, nor Dina are part of the native “elite” of Coronado, IMO—and so they have limited influence. And Rebecca certainly wasn’t, either. So, the rather conceited natives are, IMO, kind of quietly annoyed (and clutching their pearls) that these “outsiders” brought such ongoing controversy to their placid, wealthy enclave. JMO.

BBM. Yup. I completely agree. I think this will end (as far as Adam's involvement) with an abrupt case notice that his participation has been settled-- and no further information about Adam's part.

I think Dina and Nina's involvement will proceed to trial. JMO. The 3 defendants, IMO, don't appear to be at all on the same page as far as defending the case, or defending their involvement. I think Adam will strike a deal to settle his part. And that may involve, as you said, telling what he knows. That may end up being more valuable to the Zahaus than any monetary settlement, IMO.

BBM. Yup. I completely agree. I think this will end (as far as Adam's involvement) with an abrupt case notice that his participation has been settled-- and no further information about Adam's part.

I think Dina and Nina's involvement will proceed to trial. JMO. The 3 defendants, IMO, don't appear to be at all on the same page as far as defending the case, or defending their involvement. I think Adam will strike a deal to settle his part. And that may involve, as you said, telling what he knows. That may end up being more valuable to the Zahaus than any monetary settlement, IMO.

I agree, Adam's defense is wholly separate and distinct from Dina and Nina's. When push comes to shove, Jonah (Adam's) defense team will settle the case to obtain Adam's immunity from possible criminal prosecution and Dina and Nina will be left to hold the bloody bag -- which is most fair and reasonable as it is clear that Dina was the ringleader in Rebecca's heinous torture and murder.

All of the previous posts prove my point that the Zahaus are only after $$$$$$$$. So much speculation that Adam will settle (he won't) and that the Zahaus will take Jonah's money.

The Zahaus falsely alledge Adam is the one that killed Rebecca - they state he strangled her to death.

The fact they would even consider settling just proves that they know it was not a murder and are, and have been, only after a big payout.

Disgusting.

Interesting. Valeant, the company JS sold his company to, has been rocked by scandals recently. It's currently being investigated by Congress and the Securities and Exchange Comission.

I know this is a bit off topic but I couldn't tell where to post it. The Hiffington Post online has a piece about it.

All of the previous posts prove my point that the Zahaus are only after $$$$$$$$. So much speculation that Adam will settle (he won't) and that the Zahaus will take Jonah's money.

The Zahaus falsely alledge Adam is the one that killed Rebecca - they state he strangled her to death.

The fact they would even consider settling just proves that they know it was not a murder and are, and have been, only after a big payout.

Disgusting.

There are many legal nuances in Adam's case, IMO, that we will never know. Perhaps you missed the post that conjectured that he would tell the entire truth of what happened that night.

The fact that there is no alibi for Dina Shacknai proves that this was murder, not suicide.

^ Adam has already told the truth of what happened that night - he said goodnight to Rebecca when they arrived back at the mansion about 8 pm. He went to the guest house, she went to the main house. He saw her hanging when he walked out of the guest house at 6:40 ish.

That information certainly is not worth a dime, much less $10 million.

Dina has ironclad witnesses that were with her at Rady's. The Zahaus are going to look like the greedy liars they are when it all comes out.

Interesting. Valeant, the company JS sold his company to, has been rocked by scandals recently. It's currently being investigated by Congress and the Securities and Exchange Comission.

I know this is a bit off topic but I couldn't tell where to post it. The Hiffington Post online has a piece about it.

Thanks, Gilgamesh. It's actually not very far off topic, as you'll see. It's about $$$$$$$.......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/valeant-collapse-history_us_56f2a451e4b0c3ef52174d15

I suspect Jonah Shacknai is very glad to be out of the media spotlight on the current Valeant issues. Jonah did very well for himself in the Medicis buy out by Valeant:

Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. has completed its $2.6 billion merger with Montreal-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International today, according to an 8-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

As part of the deal closing, Medicis founder and CEO Jonah Shacknai is no longer a director of Medicis.

According to Medicis’ proxy statement issued in April, if there is a change in control of Medicis and Shacknai does not stay with the new controlling company, he will receive salary and bonus totaling $6.7 million, as well as health benefits for the rest of his life, administrative support and other equity awards totaling $30.7 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/12/11/valeant-medicis-complete-26b.html

$$$$$. Maybe that's why Dina was suing him again-- to try to extort even more of his money, as per the divorce appeal document's explanation. Remember the recent AZ WDS over Max's accidental death that Dina filed as plaintiff, that was dismissed with prejudice? The same one where she was chastised and given penalties numerous times by the court? Jonah had a windfall of cash in the merger, and the divorce appeal makes clear that Dina felt entitled to a slice of it.

http://law.justia.com/cases/arizona...ion-one-unpublished/2015/1-ca-cv-13-0555.html

And that divorce appeal didn't work out so well for her, so she sued Jonah for Max's wrongful death--still looking for a bigger slice of Jonah's wealth to extort from him, IMO.

Kind of disgusting, IMO, that she would sue Jonah for money over the "proven" tragic accidental death of their only child, eh? Was she only after more of Jonah's Medicis/ Valeant merger $$$$$$$$$$$$....? I think so.

Exploitation of a child's death for MONEY is, IMO, disgusting-- and this isn't the only example of Dina doing just exactly that. The whole entire Maxie's House fraud/ debacle was just another example of her exploitation of Max's accidental death, using/ exploiting REAL murdered children who were *actually* kidnapped, tortured, and sexually abused before their horrific deaths, and trying to pretend and persuade the public (and a sitting AZ Senator!) that the same sort of thing happened to Max. Sickeningly exploitative, IMO.

All that Maxie's House fanfare, to have 3 fundraisers, including a wine party, and make MONEY for Dina. I think her contacts in her AZ social circles finally wised up to her fraudulent nonprofit, which has been essentially "dying" for 2+ years now, according to GuideStar. But hey, it was a good scam, good $$, while it lasted, right?! Perhaps even a good sympathetic *cover story* to distract from the accusations of murder surrounding Dina, right? JMO-- yours may vary.

The argument over plaintiffs seeking money cuts both ways in this tragic set of deaths, eh? One can spin it whichever way suits their opinion of the case/s.

^^^^ K_Z.............your analysis, as always, fruitful and eye opening I am sure to many that haven't been following this case. Thanks for taking the time to put the $$$$ spin on it appropriately. Thanks just wasn't good enough.

BTW, do you think Dina will ever get that license she was after and get a job working in her field?

Medicis was also investigated and JS managed to skirt charges IIRC. I believe the essence of the case was Medicis showed sales on the books of samples given away to doctors and then booked those samples as revenue. Something to that effect. Dishonesty and cooking the books seems to be not uncommon for these large pharma companies.

Let's not forget Jonah's work in DC, I believe he was a lobbyist for pharma or something to that effect. Influence peddling and all that less than savory work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500