WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 #14 *Guilty*

This is Vickie Bowen, I am still here. I kept my promise to my sister Jo Ann, Aliayah's deceased grandmother. I was there every day of the trial and sentencing hearings. It was hard, but by the grace of God, Aliayah got the justice she deserved and hopefully her hero sisters will have some closure knowing LL will never hurt them ever again. They are my heros. I thank God everyday that they are in a loving, nurturing home and are thriving after all they have been through. I am especially happy that 6 of the siblings are together, including 1 that RL fathered with another woman. The other 3 siblings have been adopted into good families and seem to be doing great. Trenton is with his paternal grand parents. Neco has been adopted to a family in WV and the last one, a girl that LL birthed in Florida, I am not sure where she is, but I pray she is loved and cherished as all children are supposed to be. I do know that the family that has the 6 siblings tried to get the last daughter but failed for some reason concerning Florida law I believe. Thank you all for caring so much about a little sad eyed girl that is now in heaven where she is getting more love than any of us can imagine. I would love to say Aliayah's body has been properly put to rest, and that would mean a lot to me, but I am content in knowing that in heaven, our earthly bodies are not important. I know her soul will forever be loved and happy with Jesus. I will continue to try to find Aliayah's remains and will update if and when we find her. May God bless each and every one of you.
Hi Vicky, thank you for the update. I think about little Aliayah often & stop in here sporadically to see if anything has changed. I'm glad Aliayah had someone like you and her sisters to stand up for her. I can't imagine how terrified they were.
God Bless you too.

Thursday, January 9th:
*Petition Conference Hearing (@ ET) - WV - Aliayah Lunsford (3) (Sept. 24, 2011, not found) - *Lena Marie (Lunsford) Conaway (34), "mom" indicted (3/6/16) with four counts: Murder of a child by parent by failure to provide necessities, which carries a life sentence; death of a child by parent by child abuse, which carries up to 40 years in prison; child abuse resulting in injury, which carries 1-5 years; and concealment of a dead body, which also carries 1-5 years. Plead not guilty.
April, 2018 - Found guilty & was sentenced to life without parole.
Court hearings & verdict from 4/23/18 thru 1/17/19 reference post #367 here:
GUILTY - WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 #14 *APPEAL*
2/22/19 Update: Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson recently filed a motion for extension of time to file the state’s response brief from Thursday. The state Supreme Court granted the motion, extending the deadline by about a month, to March 22.
3/22/19 Update: State wants a memorandum opinion. Defense wants to set arguments. Not sure what Supreme Court will do but there are days set aside in April-May of the current term. The state is being represented by Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson in its response to Lunsford's January appeal by her attorney Jeremy Cooper. In Johnson's response filed last week, he rebutted each of Cooper's nine reasons why he believes Lunsford's conviction should be overturned.
11/27/19 Update: The state Supreme Court is scheduled to hold a petition conference Jan. 9 in the appeal Lunsford's sentencing. At the conference, held in limine, the justices likely will decide whether the appeal of Lunsford Conaway merits oral arguments & an opinion, or whether it can be addressed through a memorandum decision. Oral Arguments likely would be scheduled some time during the January-June term of the Supreme Court. If the case is decided by a memorandum decision, it likely would be released during that same time period.

I searched the site and found a few pages of results on the arrest & trial, but nothing relating to the link you posted above.

Strange - I went back into my trash - and here's the google alert I received:

W.Va. Supreme Court to hear arguments in Lunsford-Conaway appeal during current term
WBOY.com
On Thursday, justices with the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals met in order to discuss whether or not an appeal of Lena Lunsford-Conaway's ...

and when I click on the link - https://www.wboy.com/news/crime/w-v...-lunsford-conaway-appeal-during-current-term/

it says:
Our European visitors are important to us.
This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

Oh well - maybe there will be another article on what happened at the hearing....

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — On Thursday, justices with the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals met in order to discuss whether or not an appeal of Lena Lunsford-Conaway’s conviction would be set for argument.

According to the state supreme court’s public relations officer, Jennifer Bundy, justices met to discuss the appeal process and decided to set the case for argument in the current court term.

An official date for the argument has yet to be determined by the high court’s clerk, but will be released in the near future.

Before this decision, Lunsford-Conaway’s defense attorney Jeremy Cooper filed the appeal Jan. 7, 2019, for his client who was convicted by a Lewis County jury in April of murder and abuse in the death of her daughter, Aliayah Lunsford.

WV Supreme Court to hear arguments in Lunsford-Conaway appeal during current term

@Niner

Anyone have any updates for a court date?? TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back