GUILTY WV - Jeffrey Sadler, 25, fatally shot by GF's mom, Huntington, 4 Feb 2008

It is real easy to say. I used to say the same thing until my daughter ended up in a marriage like that. There is so much involved in Domestic Violence and unless you have been there it is easy to be judgmental. I learned a big lesson and now I really try to understand. You can go into a relationship with lots of self worth, etc and have it gradually beaten out of you along with all of the terrible things that are said to you. I couldn't explain everything involved if I tried because it would take to many pages and time. It just isn't simple like we think it is. Like someone said..."There But For The Grace Of God Go I."

I agree. DV is a combination of manipulation, emotional, physical and often sexual abuse. And it wears you down, to the point that you know you should get out- but you feel you can't. And to top it off, the most dangerous time for an abused woman is if she is trying to leave. That is the time the abuser is more likely to purposefully kill. They know that and they are scared.

Think of Kathleen Savio who told her family that if she died accidently, that it was probably DrewP. Or Stacy who made her sister promise to look for her if she went missing. Many women are told what will happen if they leave.

Like Bobbi's Angel said, unless you have been there or been close it is really hard to understand.

Another point I would like to bring up is that frequently there are children involved and DV does not end the abuser's right to see the children and to participate in their upbringing. Children are frequently the hook used by the abuser to keep the relationship going on some level, even when it may be legally over....is the grandmother still being held in this case? Hard to believe they are going to find a prosecutor who is willing to stick their necks out that far to keep her behind bars...

I don't know about other states but in Florida if the mother could reasonably prove that her daughters life was in danger at that moment then she could legally use deadly force to protect her.
She does not have to be on her own property either.

You're right - most states allow deadly force to protect yourself or others. However, the other person has to be in imminent danger of great bodily harm. This will depend on the facts of the case - if mom went and shot the boyfriend while he was beating the daughter - very good case. If mom shot boyfriend while he was arguing with daughter - tough case.

Defense attorney Charlie Hatcher said the city should be held responsible for Sadler's death, not his client. He played four 911 recordings Wednesday. The first was Baker reporting the domestic disturbance. She told 911 she learned about the ongoing disturbance when she heard screaming and one of her daughter's children said the couple was fighting. She said she had been told "he had been threatening her with a knife, saying he was going to gut her."

The dispatcher responded by saying "We're going to get (police) right there," but she waited for nearly an hour and police never arrived.

Forensic detectives found a couple of stab marks in the wall. Grieco told police that Sadler had stabbed the wall with a dining room knife during their preceding argument, according to testimony provided by Huntington Police Det. Chris Sperry.

snip....Sperry testified Baker never told the dispatcher that she had a gun. He believed that information would have enhanced the initial call's priority.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x189536112

A link to the 911 call here:
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/15587287.html

Thanks Mysteriew. I wonder if a person who has a license to own a firearm is supposed to tell 911 you have one? I mean the lady needed help as her daughter was having her life threatened. What ya supposed to just automatically say ya got a gun? That IMO shows it was not premedatated anyway.

Darned if you do and darned if you don't... I will never judge anyone for staying in an abusive relationship I have a friend who is in one and tell her if I ever win the lottery I promise I will give her half to get out of there! With children and no real education and no way to obtain one her hands are tied. It all boils down to money... she has tried to leave but had nowhere to go and her full time minimum wage job barely covered her daycare let alone her rent and other living expenses. Not to mention so many years of being told she is a 'worthless piece of ' has dropped her self esteem down to zero. Believe me it is enough to make you cry and to hear her say things like ''I will deal with the abuse just to make sure my kids have food and shelter''.. breaks your heart. I have letters that she wrote in case anything happens to her I am supposed to turn them over to LE.

This all could have been avoided if Allison would have shown some respect for herself and cut ties with him when he abused her the first time.
I have a saying for people who make ignorant comments such as this.

"It's easy to get out of a relationship you're not in."

As for Teresa Baker, if she and hubby owns the house next door (where the daughter was staying), then she may be able to use that in her defense.

That being said, while I am against vigilantism, the outcome of this tragic case is not really surprising. Recall the murdered 17-year-old who kept calling for help and LE told her to stop calling. Also, this comment by Jeffrey Sadler's grandfather (Judge Black) is very telling, in that it gives some context wrt that particular social strata's attitude:

"I just can't believe it," he said. "It normally would just work out. One would go one way, and one would go the other way."

Unfortunately, Judge Black's cavalier attitude wrt domestic violence tends to be the rule and not the exception. Which is also unsurprising considering that we (as in the American public) did not even begin to recognize such things as child abuse until the mid-1970s (at which point CAPTA was enacted). Prior to that, "a man's home was his castle and his wife and children were his property." In fact, prior to the 1960s (when "the tender years doctrine" came of age), men were automatically granted custody in divorce cases.

Things have changed quite a bit since that period, yet much as far as attitudes remain (as is reflected in Black's comment). I suspect it will take at least a couple more generations to wash the more negative attitudes down the drain, so to speak.

lew that is such an unfair comment. None of us have walked a mile in her shoes and to say she did not respect herself is wrong. Alot of people can say what they would of, could of, should of done but unless you are in her exact position you have no way of knowing... I usually go out of my way to avoid confrontation so I hope I am not coming off as rude to you because that is not my intention here. I just wanted to get my point across .

This all could have been avoided if Allison would have shown some respect for herself and cut ties with him when he abused her the first time. If any man ever hit me - he certainly wouldn't be welcome in my home. And God forbide he was the father of my children - he would never have visitation alone! The only positive about this is that the children will not grow up with an abuser as a role model.

I am confused about Allison and Jeff's relationship - one paper says boyfriend but there is a comment from "Jeff's fiance" posted at the one link?

I wonder what can be done to help this woman. Would letters to the editor of the newspaper help? Would getting the email address for the Prosecutors office in her town and sending emails help? I need to look and see where this took place and see if I can find an email address and see if I can find out what big name attornies are from that area.

I guess I really relate to this case because I wish I had done what she did then my daughter would still be alive. I never even though to killing him until it was to late. I guess it just wasn't a reality that he would go that far. I don't know. The darn cops aren't any help and I really hope that those 911 calls make a difference. Why should the mother have to had told the cops that she had a gun? Would they have come to the house faster or taken more time to get there? Shouldn't matter if you have a gun or not.

I'd like to know what that guy was doing when the mom walked into the house. I remember she asked him "what are you doing?" Anyone heard?

It concerns me that the guys grandfather is a judge. Even though he won't be able to precide over the case one of his buddys will. That is just as bad. A good defense attorney will ask that the case be moved out of that county.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much that will help, Bobbisangel. Even if the defense council asks for a change of venue. If reports are accurate, her daughter's statement to LE indicates that she will likely testify against her mother. Also, Baker shot the guy in front of her grandchildren. At best, and imho, she might be able to put forth an insanity defense (i.e., she was "crazed" due to his past history of having abused her daughter) or plea down from murder one to manslaughter.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much that will help, Bobbisangel. Even if the defense council asks for a change of venue. If reports are accurate, her daughter's statement to LE indicates that she will likely testify against her mother. Also, Baker shot the guy in front of her grandchildren. At best, and imho, she might be able to put forth an insanity defense (i.e., she was "crazed" due to his past history of having abused her daughter) or plea down from murder one to manslaughter.

You are probably right. I would really like to know the whole story say over the last year. In the one news link there is a place that you can leave a comment and there is a girl on there that said her and Jeff were getting married in June or July! All of his friends are saying what a great guy he was and so nice, etc, etc. Maybe he was a good friend to his friends but it doesn't sound to me like he was a good person within a relationship! An abuser isn't a nice person in my book.

I hope that Teresa's attorney can get more info out of Alison such as previous abuse over time. What the mother saw...bruises, etc. Wonder how old the kids are?

You are probably right. I would really like to know the whole story say over the last year. In the one news link there is a place that you can leave a comment and there is a girl on there that said her and Jeff were getting married in June or July! All of his friends are saying what a great guy he was and so nice, etc, etc. Maybe he was a good friend to his friends but it doesn't sound to me like he was a good person within a relationship! An abuser isn't a nice person in my book.

I hope that Teresa's attorney can get more info out of Alison such as precious abuse over time. What the mother saw...bruises, etc. Wonder how old the kids are?
This is a long shot, but... if someone could get MSM interested, CNN, Nancy Grace, CourtTV (truTV)... though, since she would not be considered "eye candy" getting them to cover it will be tough. You might check with Oprah, though (as she is very interested in domestic violence issues). Also, send them a link to the prelim hearing. And, even if they do agree to cover it, contact Mary Beth Buchanan, who is the director of the domestic violence division of the office of violence against women.

spacer.gif
Office on Violence Against Women (OVW)
800 K Street, N.W., Suite 920
Washington, D.C. 20530
Phone: 202-307-6026
Fax: 202-305-2589
TTY: 202-307-2277

Imho, this could be a poster child case for demonstrating the issues of domestic violence. Esp since this is domestic violence awareness month. Your tragic situation highlights the issues that this woman was faced with when Sadler told her he was going to "gut her daughter." That there were knife marks in the wall presents a compelling argument wrt to the self (or family) defense, angle. Esp since she had already called 911 and they failed to respond (i.e., send LE to the residence). Also, to the astute (and detail oriented), this case has all the ingredients of old system boys not only condoning but encouraging violence against women.

Actually I would like to respectfully disagree with SW on one point. Most of what she has said I agree with. But Bobbisangel I do believe it might help for letters to go to editor of the paper. The jury pool will be chosen from those readers. And your viewpoint esp. would be helpful, though I would probably stop just short of saying you wished you had killed your DD's killer. Maybe more along the line that you wish you had been aware of your daughter's danger that day so that you could have stopped him.

Someone should also point out that the DD and her children counted on the mother's assistance, the grandchild went to the mother to tell her what was happening so she could call police. She did. But when police failed to respond, Baker most likely felt it was she alone who had the responsibility to stop him. Knowing he was violent, of course she went armed.

One thing I am noticing in the media coverage, is that no one is asking the DV agency in that area what their thoughts are.

Abusers are often charming and likeable to everyone except the object of their abuse. My dad was like that. He beat the hell out of my mother but everyone else thought he walked on water. I would almost gag when people told me what a great guy my dad was. :sick:

If the daughter ends up testifying against her mother, it makes me wish mom had stayed out of it and let the boyfriend "gut" dd as he threatened to.

Abusers are often charming and likeable to everyone except the object of their abuse. My dad was like that. He beat the hell out of my mother but everyone else thought he walked on water. I would almost gag when people told me what a great guy my dad was. :sick:

If the daughter ends up testifying against her mother, it makes me wish mom had stayed out of it and let the boyfriend "gut" dd as he threatened to.

DD doesn't have a choice about testifying. Right after it happened, she most likely talked out of shock. And now that her story is on record, she will have to testify. Once the shock wears off, it is very possible that she will show more concern and support for the mother.

I hope so mysteriew. This is so wrong on so many levels.

Huntington, WV is my hometown. I moved away 9 years ago. Most of my family is still in the area.

In my opinion, the police didn't respond to the 911 calls because of who he was related to. It's sad, but I feel Teresa Baker knew she would receive no real help from Huntington LE.

As for domestic violence calls, the area has a history of believing it's a "family matter" and don't like to get involved. This is from my personal history of dealing with the Sheriff's department.

Huntington, WV is my hometown. I moved away 9 years ago. Most of my family is still in the area.

In my opinion, the police didn't respond to the 911 calls because of who he was related to. It's sad, but I feel Teresa Baker knew she would receive no real help from Huntington LE.

As for domestic violence calls, the area has a history of believing it's a "family matter" and don't like to get involved. This is from my personal history of dealing with the Sheriff's department.

Believe it or not, it is not just your town. Small towns and even some large towns. And not just the police, it is sometimes prosecutors and judges also. The system is changing, but it is happening very slowly in some areas.

Believe it or not, it is not just your town. Small towns and even some large towns. And not just the police, it is sometimes prosecutors and judges also. The system is changing, but it is happening very slowly in some areas.

This is so true. I also think that an awful lot of officers have negative attitudes towards battered women. I know in the police department here the officers have had next to no training in domestic violence or battered women.
They proudly admit it and when training is offered by Battered Women and Rape Relief in the next town the officers from here don't show! I also agree that the Pros and Judges are no better. It's not a wonder that people are taking matters into their own hands.

If my little granddaughter had called me and said that he dad was yelling at her mom and he said that he was going to gutt her I would have been at their house as fast as I could get there and God help him if I lived next door and owned a gun! I hope Alison thinks about what that man was putting her children through everytime he threatened her or knocked her around. Obviously the kids watched and heard everything.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back