Found Deceased WV - Wyatt Ray Eaves-Nibert, 10, with great grandfather hunting, became separated, Two Mile Salt Creek, Point Pleasant, 9 Sep 2023

I feel bad for wondering if the grandfather/great-grandfather shot him accidentally.

Yes, or perhaps there was another hunter in the bush. I expect the grandfather would know that if the child was not right at his side or in a known location, then he would not take any shots at all. Isn't that a basic safety rule?

"Miller says when they arrived at the scene, first responders learned a 10-year-old had been “separated from the accident victim” approximately an hour before they were called to the area."

Does it seem like the accident victim is distancing himself from when the young boy was shot? Maybe I'm overthinking it. idk

The verbiage used in the reports leads to confusion. At first it sounded like the boy was involved in an ATV accident with his father and then became “separated “

Then we learned that he became “separated” an hour before his grandfather was in an ATV accident.

What does “separated” mean anyway? Did he get lost, run away, become injured, accidentally shot?

JMO

Emergency crews were initially dispatched to the area for an ATV accident involving the grandfather. He relayed to first responders he had been searching for the boy who went missing an hour earlier. The boy was hunting and had a .22 rifle with him.

Emergency crews were initially dispatched to the area for an ATV accident involving the grandfather. He relayed to first responders he had been searching for the boy who went missing an hour earlier. The boy was hunting and had a .22 rifle with him.
Thanks @imstilla.grandma The video at your link was good. The reporter asked the sheriff if he could give any information about the ATV crash victim, how they were separated from the boy or if anyone could face charges. In summary, the sheriff is waiting for a report from the medical examiner before he makes a statement.

The verbiage used in the reports leads to confusion. At first it sounded like the boy was involved in an ATV accident with his father and then became “separated “

Then we learned that he became “separated” an hour before his grandfather was in an ATV accident.

What does “separated” mean anyway? Did he get lost, run away, become injured, accidentally shot?

JMO
I think the purpose of the verbiage is to avoid saying specifically what happened, and what exactly was said or not said at different times. IMO, they need to hold back since it's not yet determined what is the manner/time, etc of death and therefore will someone be charged.

JMO

Sincere condolences to his loved-ones.

Did they go out hunting on foot, and his grandfather left to get an ATV to go back to him? Or did they go with the ATVs in the first place, and his grandfather left the scene on an ATV in order to to seek help? Amd how did rescuers learn of the grandfather's ATV accident?

The Investigation continues...

“He loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing, trapping, he loved it all,” Nibert said. “If you’ve seen him, you’ve seen his grandpa. They were best friends.”

She says she and her family were searching for him all Saturday night < >. Investigators say Wyatt appeared to have died from a gunshot wound after he became separated from his grandfather.

Mom Speaks

Nibert said her son was always respectful of others. Wyatt loved the outdoors and was best friends with his grandfather. The two were on a hunting trip as this past weekend was the opening of squirrel season.

"They were eating lunch together, he told grandpa he was going to walk around the road a little bit the path to see if he could see any squirrels," Nibert said.

After cleaning up from lunch, Nibert said grandpa yelled for Wyatt but could not find him. Wyatt was later found dead from a gunshot, which may be the puzzling aspect of the situation since she said Wyatt knew how to handle a gun.

"Wyatt was very trained on gun safety. He knew not to walk around without the safety off and he knew to carry the gun on his back with it pointed in the air. He had very good trigger discipline," Nibert said.

Video at link

Heart breaking case. Little lad died doing what he loved best: Huntin' with Grandpa.

In the video, the little boy's mother explains how well trained her son is in gun safety. I'd never heard this phrase before but I like it.

[Wyatt Ray Eaves-Nibert] He had good trigger discipline.

So the first question is going to be what caliber of gun shot? I do not get the vibe from this case that the family killed him. It sounds like a horrible accident. I hope there isn’t a deer hunter or something in the area that was negligent and shot at something moving not realizing it was a human.

Heart breaking case. Little lad died doing what he loved best: Huntin' with Grandpa.

In the video, the little boy's mother explains how well trained her son is in gun safety. I'd never heard this phrase before but I like it.

[Wyatt Ray Eaves-Nibert] He had good trigger discipline.
Sorry - gun safety and hunter safety are two different animals. The child was not wearing hunter orange was he?

So the first question is going to be what caliber of gun shot? I do not get the vibe from this case that the family killed him. It sounds like a horrible accident. I hope there isn’t a deer hunter or something in the area that was negligent and shot at something moving not realizing it was a human.
Unless they were hunting illegally, it’s too early for deer season. I think if it is someone else It will be another squirrel hunter. imo

It was opening day for squirrels according to the link. I can’t speak for West Virginia but I would bet it’s similar to Louisiana in hunting traditions. People in areas of the country still hunt to put food on the table. I know 10 seems young but it is relatively common in my area and hunter education courses are available for young hunters. Opening days are usually big days for hunters and it’s a tradition for father-son hunts. I’ll add that squirrel hunts are relatively easy hunts for kids and it’s the way most kids start. imo

The boy was hunting and had a .22 rifle with him.

Sorry - gun safety and hunter safety are two different animals. The child was not wearing hunter orange was he?
If you are asking me if the child wore hunter's orange, I don't know. Do you have a link, possibly?

I understand wearing orange while hunting is a precaution but is it a requirement? Checks law. Yes, in WV wearing blaze orange is required when hunting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back