Found Deceased WV - Wyatt Ray Eaves-Nibert, 10, with great grandfather hunting, became separated, Two Mile Salt Creek, Point Pleasant, 9 Sep 2023

This article with said his obit said that he was preceded in death by his grandfather—unclear if it was the grandfather he had just gone hunting with.

This article with said his obit said that he was preceded in death by his grandfather—unclear if it was the grandfather he had just gone hunting with.

Probably not the same grandfather, because predeceased means that the grandfather died before the boy, and that wasn't the case in here.

If he felt his grandfather was his best friend, that's really beautiful. I don't know that very many preteens feel that way about an adult, and it's just really something. And really tragic that whatever happened, happened, because it was definitely an accident of some kind. And his grandfather now must be devastated. IMO.

If he felt his grandfather was his best friend, that's really beautiful. I don't know that very many preteens feel that way about an adult, and it's just really something. And really tragic that whatever happened, happened, because it was definitely an accident of some kind. And his grandfather now must be devastated. IMO.
I’d sure like to know if he was killed by his own gun or someone else’s and when it happened. I haven’t read about anyone hearing the gunshot which I found out because I thought they were all close together. <modsnip: Discussing social media 'comments' is not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:
"He would always tell me, 'Mom, when I turn 18, I’m going to be a Marine.' Everybody at school loved him. He was so respectful. He put everybody else first," Nibert shared.

“If you’ve seen him, you’ve seen his grandpa. They were best friends," Nibert told the local media outlet.

Eaves' burial is expected to take place on Monday, Sept. 18.

I’d sure like to know if he was killed by his own gun or someone else’s and when it happened. I haven’t read about anyone hearing the gunshot which I found out because I thought they were all close together. <modsnip: Discussing social media 'comments' is not allowed>

Someone may have heard a gunshot and the police just haven't discussed it. I'm guessing that the sound of gunshot is rather significant evidence which wouldn't be shared at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunters can stake out from far away, and shoot at any signs of movement that may be an animal. It's happened before, especially when the victim is wearing camouflage.
My one hang-up, though...this little boy would have been lost, right? He would have likely been walking around, or yelling, or trying other ways to get grandpa's attention. If this shooting was before he was officially 'lost', grandpa (or great grandpa?) would have heard the gunshot. So... how likely is it that someone's mistakes him for an animal when he's making noise or waving his arms around?

If he told Grandpa he was going to try and find squirrels, and they were out there to hunt, then Grandpa probably wouldn't find hearing a gunshot that out of place, Wyatt could have been hit by another hunter who accidentally mistook his movement for game, or by a stray bullet and by the time Grandpa went to catch up to him it was already too late.
It seems strange that he was found much later and seemingly much further away in brush though.

All just guessing and MOO.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

If he told Grandpa he was going to try and find squirrels, and they were out there to hunt, then Grandpa probably wouldn't find hearing a gunshot that out of place, Wyatt could have been hit by another hunter who accidentally mistook his movement for game, or by a stray bullet and by the time Grandpa went to catch up to him it was already too late.
It seems strange that he was found much later and seemingly much further away in brush though.

All just guessing and MOO.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
It's possible but I feel if this was part of the narrative than this would have made it to MSM by now, unless statements by Grandpa are currently staying close to the vest while the investigation is on going.

No one should wear khaki in the bush. Wearing hunter orange could save a life. I'm not saying that is the cause of this gun accident, but it could be, and it certainly is the cause of too many missing hunters and hunting accidents. Squirrels don't care if the hunter was dressed in a khaki or a clown suit.

I don't know what happened, but I agree, dress for safety. I have a bright yellow coat with silver stripes. My husband thinks that I look like a school bus in it...fine, but when I go out hunting, biking, or walking, I want people to see me.

Condolences to the family. Sounds like a double tragedy here.

From the below news story:

"While it was not reported what happened to the boy's grandfather, Wyatt's obituary said that he was preceded in death by his grandfather, Delmar Cook."

So both the boy and his grandfather were both killed on this hunting trip? Because I an not seeing that fact being widely publicized. Perhaps they mean the boy's other grandfather?

It seems very strange there is nothing forthcoming from the police/sheriff. Is there a chance this is something more than a tragic hunting accident?

Last edited:

"While it was not reported what happened to the boy's grandfather, Wyatt's obituary said that he was preceded in death by his grandfather, Delmar Cook."

So both the boy and his grandfather were both killed on this hunting trip? Because I an not seeing that fact being widely publicized. Perhaps they mean the boy's other grandfather?

It seems very strange there is nothing forthcoming from the police/sheriff. Is there a chance this is something more than a tragic hunting accident?

Probably a different grandfather.

The obit mentions a grandfather and great-grandfather as survivors.

It's been mentioned in the thread that 'grandpa' has been referred to as his mothers grandpa, so his great-grandpa.

POINT PLEASANT, WV (WOWK) – A community gathered Monday afternoon to said goodbye today to a young boy gone too soon.

Funeral services for 10-year-old Wyatt Ray Eaves took place in Point Pleasant Monday, Sept. 18.

I wonder why the coroner's report is taking so long? When will the sheriff hold a news conference to address Wyatt's death? It seam's to me that if this was a hunting accident an announcement would have already been made. Could Wyatt's death possibly be foul play?

I wonder why the coroner's report is taking so long? When will the sheriff hold a news conference to address Wyatt's death? It seam's to me that if this was a hunting accident an announcement would have already been made. Could Wyatt's death possibly be foul play?

A different perspective, maybe not foul play, but have we considered self inflicted?. We have no idea if Wyatt was happy, if he was struggling, being bullied etc. If he was an older teen, or an adult we would consider that he had left his grandfather so he could be alone to finish it.

I'm not suggesting this is what happened at all. Just a different angle to consider.

A different perspective, maybe not foul play, but have we considered self inflicted?. We have no idea if Wyatt was happy, if he was struggling, being bullied etc. If he was an older teen, or an adult we would consider that he had left his grandfather so he could be alone to finish it.

I'm not suggesting this is what happened at all. Just a different angle to consider.

There is no evidence to suggest this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back