Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give me a link. Sorry, beginning where ...

ETA don't really get the obfuscation. Can you just explain what the Laundries gained by keeping shtum? That's really all I'm trying to understand.
I don't understand the problem. Go to the post that MyBelle made that you then quoted and said "that she was gone."

When Gabby's family lost contact with her, I seriously doubt that the last thing in their list of 'What's Happened to Gabby' was that she was "gone" in any sense. There are many, many other possibilities. So many that I shouldn't have to list them. Lost/broken phone, accident and hospitalized, lost, psychotic break, held hostage in any sense, etc, etc, etc.

But "gone" - whatever that means - and they were being blocked from all the people who could have given them more information.

If Brian's family didn't think he was responsible for any misdeeds against Gabby, then why on earth would they not be willing to share what their son had revealed? And who wouldn't ask, "What do you mean by gone?"

MOO
Maybe BL didn't reveal anything to his parents. Or very little in the way of details. JMO.

When Gabby's family lost contact with her, I seriously doubt that the last thing in their list of 'What's Happened to Gabby' was that she was "gone" in any sense. There are many, many other possibilities. So many that I shouldn't have to list them. Lost/broken phone, accident and hospitalized, lost, psychotic break, held hostage in any sense, etc, etc, etc.

But "gone" - whatever that means - and they were being blocked from all the people who could have given them more information.

If Brian's family didn't think he was responsible for any misdeeds against Gabby, then why on earth would they not be willing to share what their son had revealed? And who wouldn't ask, "What do you mean by gone?"

MOO
Her family knew of the August 12 incident of Gabby hitting Brian and Brian hitting her and that police were present. Why on earth didn't they immediately contact the FBI so that Gabby's phone could be tracked?

There is no proof Brian provided his parents with an explanation beyond, "gone." I don't believe he provided them with any information and that's why he left a long suicide note confessing what happened.

JMO

Maybe BL didn't reveal anything to his parents. Or very little in the way of details. JMO.
I don't believe BL revealed anything to his parents beyond that Gabby was "gone" which could be interpreted as they broke up. I'm not sure they even knew about the Moab incident.

JMO

If Moab LE had Made Arrest(s)?
.... GP's mother.... knew her daughter had a physical altercation with Brian on August 12 and police were called. The family now claims they thought police would take care of the situation. Police have no control over what happens two weeks later in another state and neither did Brian's parents. JMO
snipped for focus @MyBelle
Yes, ^ good points.

The TIME LAPSE between Gabby & Brian's Aug 12 interaction w Moab LE* and last known sighting of GP or call from GP's phone (other than by BL). Which was what --- ~ Aug 25, 26, 27? Anyone? So about two weeks.

The DISTANCE from Moab UT. LE encounter to place where GP's remains were found in WY. Using Teton County a destination, a driving distance app** shows ~ 540 miles (~870 km) w ~ 9 hr. drive time.

If Moab LE had arrested GP, BL, or both on Aug 12, what would (likely) have happened?
Overnight detention?
Release the next day?
Post-arrest, continuing w "Vanlife" journey?

Would it have been in perfect harmony or would tragic outcome have been the same?

IDK, but doubt that Moab LE's actions in failing "to recognize or otherwise identify the obvious signs clearly indicating that Gabby was the victim of domestic abuse" ¶ 5 of petition led to or caused BL to commit homicide.
ETA: Was she a DV victim? Yes, maybe but she admitted to LE she had hit BL first & had "slapped him a couple times too."page 6.
SHE HIT & SLAPPED him, so seems she was also a DV abuser/inflicter.

Imo, parents' claim at ¶8 "Gabby’s death constituted a wrongful death resulting from Defendants’ negligence" ~ two weeks earlier is too remote from interaction w Moab LE [ETA] for liability to attach for GP's death.
But I wont be on the jury.

Last edited:
If Moab LE had Made Arrest(s)?
snipped for focus @MyBelle
Yes, ^ good points.

The TIME LAPSE between Gabby & Brian's Aug 12 interaction w Moab LE* and last known sighting of GP or call from GP's phone (other than by BL). Which was what --- ~ Aug 25, 26, 27? Anyone? So about two weeks.

The DISTANCE from Moab UT. LE encounter to place where GP's remains were found in WY. Using Teton County a destination, a driving distance app** shows ~ 540 miles (~870 km) w ~ 9 hr. drive time.

If Moab LE had arrested GP, BL, or both on Aug 12, what would (likely) have happened?
Overnight detention?
Release the next day?
Post-arrest, continuing w "Vanlife" journey?

Would it have been in perfect harmony or would tragic outcome have been the same?

IDK, but doubt that Moab LE's actions in failing "to recognize or otherwise identify the obvious signs clearly indicating that Gabby was the victim of domestic abuse" ¶ 5 of petition led to or caused BL to commit homicide.

Imo, parents' claim at ¶8 "Gabby’s death constituted a wrongful death resulting from Defendants’ negligence" ~ two weeks earlier is too remote from interaction w Moab LE [ETA] for liability to attach for GP's death.
But I wont be on the jury.

JMO

Her family knew of the August 12 incident of Gabby hitting Brian and Brian hitting her and that police were present. Why on earth didn't they immediately contact the FBI so that Gabby's phone could be tracked?

There is no proof Brian provided his parents with an explanation beyond, "gone." I don't believe he provided them with any information and that's why he left a long suicide note confessing what happened.

JMO
So Gabby was the instigator?

JMO
Or some utter bullsh!t about what happened you mean.

Jeez, the family is not only blaming the Laundrie parents, they also filed a $40 million lawsuit against the Moab police department. This lawsuit claims that Gabby told her family about Brian hitting her and they immediately made plans to fly her home and have the van shipped back but then she said police had been called so the parents "stepped back." The Moab stop was on August 12. Her mother didn't report her missing until September 11.

If that is the case, then why are they blaming Laundrie's parents for not returning calls? Why did Gabby's mother wait so long to report her missing to the FBI?

JMO

It alleges the Moab City Police Department's "negligent hiring and failure to properly train and the individual officers' negligence caused Gabby's tragic and untimely death," specifically naming Chief Bret Edge, Assistant Chief Braydon Palmer, and officers Eric Pratt and Daniel Robbins, as well as 10 unnamed individuals, as defendants.
I feel it is unfair to vilify the victim's family (Gabby's family) by continuously claiming the following:

-their lawsuits are without legal basis
-their sole interest is being awarded money from the court

But it is absolutely vile to insinuate that Gabby's mother didn't file a missing persons report soon enough, when Gabby's killer was sending messages from her phone to make it appear she was still alive.

IMHO

It isn't proof the Laundries knew Gabby was dead or that they knew their son had killed her. In fact, the Petito's attorney sent a letter to Mr. & Mrs. Laundrie two days AFTER Brian disappeared from their home. How callous is that? It took a month to find their son's body. They hired an attorney because their son illegally used Gabby's debit card.

The lawsuit also claims Brian sent Gabby's mother a text message about no cell phone service in Yosemite Park, which is in California. Gabby's body was found in Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming. Their attorney is a real piece of work suing the parents of a dead child and claiming they knew their son had killed Gabby. The FBI never called Brian a suspect.

Facts do matter.

JMO

He refused to speak to investigators and disappeared on Sept. 14.
He was never charged in his girlfriend's death but was being sought for illegally using her debit card to withdraw money after she had died.
Quote:
In fact, the Petito's attorney sent a letter to Mr. & Mrs. Laundrie two days AFTER Brian disappeared from their home. How callous is that?

How callous? I don't know what the letter said .....

Quote:
Why did Gabby's mother wait so long to report her missing to the FBI?

Why didn't Brian's mother report Gabby missing when her son told her, at the end of August, that Gabby was missing? Why not at least let the Petito's know their daughter is missing and could be lost and/or in danger? If Brian had told Gabby's mom that Gabby was missng then Gabby's mom would know that and could report her missing.

Gone at least means missing and the Laundries, instead of helping find Gabby, went on a fun camping excursion....2 Cents

Last edited:
Hiring an Atty?
Why then hire a lawyer?
@CrimeDawg123
IIRC BL was alleged to have unlawfully used GP's credit or debit card(s), and an arrest warrant was issued.
Either guilty or not guilty, a person engaging legal counsel for that would not be suspicious in itself imo.
A young man asking parents for $$$ for atty for that is not necessarily suspicious either.

I'm fuzzy on the dates but IIRC the arrest warrant was issued mid/late Sept, so that ^ is not a likely reason for hiring an atty in late Aug/early Sept.

And when facing a crim count re $ 1000 or $ 2000 unauthorized bank charges, paying a $25,000 retainer fee seems a bit steep. Actually waaay steep. jmo

Hiring an Atty?
@CrimeDawg123
IIRC BL was alleged to have unlawfully used GP's credit or debit card(s), and an arrest warrant was issued.
Either guilty or not guilty, a person engaging legal counsel for that would not be suspicious in itself imo.
A young man asking parents for $$$ for atty for that is not necessarily suspicious either.

I'm fuzzy on the dates but IIRC the arrest warrant was issued mid/late Sept, so that ^ is not a likely reason for hiring an atty in late Aug/early Sept.

And when facing a crim count re $ 1000 or $ 2000 unauthorized bank charges, paying a $25,000 retainer fee seems a bit steep. Actually waaay steep. jmo
I think the attorneys may have been retained to also represent the Laundrie parents. iirc, a federal grand jury indicted BL for the debit card fraud and his parents may have had to testify.

JMO

Honestly, I never thought morality was that difficult to understand. End of.
Me either. Fundamental stuff, how on earth can any other position on the matter be held, yet.. here we are.

What seems to be lost is the magnitude of the loss suffered by the P's. the degree of sheer brazen negligence of the L's in the matter of Gabby's death. And both these things, the magnitude of the loss, and the dreadful deliberate negligence of the L's in respect of Gabby's death, and subsequent callous discarding of her body, by their son will meet in a court room.

There is no equation in any sense of the word between the death of Gabby, and the death of Brian and utterly no equality between the effect of the death of Gabby on her parents, and the effect of Brian's death on his parents. These two totally different and totally disparate events in no way come anywhere near being classified as 'both parents suffering the death of a child'.. not in any sane world on this earth.

Brian did murder Gabby. No one with a grip on reality believes Brians meandering story of the 'accident', and no one can understand why he left her body out there, to rot in the sunshine, and rain, subject to animal curiosity, He didn't call anyone for help, He then bumbled around trying to create an alibi. He then, in defiance of all known social contracts, and law, Brian had no business declaring Gabby dead, that's a coroners job, she may have been able, with medical interjection , be alive, but no. He w.a.t.c.h.e.d. h.e.r. d.i.e.

Roberta's letter to Bri is not about love, it doesn't encompass love, it is narrowed down to idolatory. She idolises him, She needed to give him some tough love, but she smoothed him down with peanut butter love.

Roberta's 'love' for Brian in no way could be considered permission to inflict such prolonged cruelty on the P's.

This is what this civil matter is about. It's about what is owed, in the social contract, in the matter of the murder of one's daughter, by someone else's son, and the lengths to which either parent can go in assisting the bereaved parent, find their missing daughter, or assisting the murdering son. It is about how much agony one set of parents can inflict on another set of parents at a time of ultimate parental grief and get away with it. How far can one go?

I will be very surprised, ( but I recall Casey Anthony with a shudder) if the judge does not find that the L's owed the P
s more on the social contract than what they delivered.

IMO.

Last edited:
GP as Instigator?
So Gabby was the instigator?
@CrimeDawg123
Seeing the actual videos from LEOs' body worn cameras could enlighten us but failing that, we have quotes from a reviewer who did watch them. And rewatched them over the course of months reviewing the case, and able to pause, rewind, fast-forward, take notes, resulting in a 102 page report.

From "Gabrielle Petito Statements to Law Enforcement" on page 5,* Gabby said to LEOs,
- she has a “mean attitude.”
- "to be honest, I definitely hit him first.”
- "she had slapped Brian a couple of times and Brian kept telling her to “shut up.”"
- “I guess but I hit him first.” (<- after LEO asked “did he hit you though?”)
- “I hit him.” (<- "when asked about the van hitting into the curb.")
- "was hitting Brian while he was driving but “not a lot but yeah.” "

IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL.

I highly recommend reading the report.
* An independent law enforcement agency completed a 102 page report of Moab LE's interactions w GP & BL, after reviewing the body-worn camera footage and interviewing Assistant Chief Palmer, Officer Pratt, and Officer Robbins. The interviews were recorded using an audio recording device.

Last edited:
...I'm worried what public testimony from either side--about either child would do to the respective parents.

This is really too much for any parent to bear.
RSBM
I'm not worried about the Petito's finally getting the whole truth about how and when their daughter was murdered.

Why would the truth hurt the L's?

There are galaxy's smaller than the gap between the circumstance of Gabby' s parents realising Gabby was missing, and Brian's parent's claiming Brian was missing. The distance between the cause and effect of these two totally different, even opposing events cannot be measured with even atomic science.

There is no need to lay out the differences , as a mere glance at it would bring home the utter discordance between one circumstance of a child missing and the other circumstance. It really does not bear comparison, one would have to reach into the bucket of cruelty to measure it.

Which I am not about to do, but I am pretty sure that a civil court judge will do that, and with gravitas and a firm grip on jurisprudence, qualities I don't have.

GP as Instigator?

@CrimeDawg123
Seeing the actual videos from LEOs' body worn cameras could enlighten us but failing that, we have quotes from a reviewer who did watch them. And rewatched them over the course of months reviewing the case, and able to pause, rewind, fast-forward, take notes, resulting in a 102 page report.

From "Gabrielle Petito Statements to Law Enforcement" on page 5,* Gabby said to LEOs,
- she has a “mean attitude.”
- "to be honest, I definitely hit him first.”
- "she had slapped Brian a couple of times and Brian kept telling her to “shut up.”"
- “I guess but I hit him first.” (<- after LEO asked “did he hit you though?”)
- “I hit him.” (<- "when asked about the van hitting into the curb.")
- "was hitting Brian while he was driving but “not a lot but yeah.” "

IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL.

I highly recommend reading the report.
* An independent law enforcement agency completed a 102 page report of Moab LE's interactions w GP & BL, after reviewing the body-worn camera footage and interviewing Assistant Chief Palmer, Officer Pratt, and Officer Robbins. The interviews were recorded using an audio recording device.
Two young people are dead. In my opinion, they were in an extremely toxic and abusive relationship that went both ways.

Why is it ok that all the money was in Gabby's name? IIRC, at the beginning it was revealed they had both worked 18 months to two years to save toward her dream. One of them worked two jobs. I was thinking it was BL.

Their relationship was certainly not a partnership. All the money was hers. The camper was hers. The dream was hers; the blog was hers.

Now, IIRC she did sell her car to buy the van, but where did the rest of the money come from? Or did BL and his dad build and work and paint to get it into shape? I have only vague recollections of the details. It was established she could not drive it, so why was it in her name only?

Don't you think that if this were turned around and a man took money a woman had worked a couple of years to help him accumulate for a common goal, then had put the money in only his name and could make the dismissive, denigrating remark "She's not good with money" that Gabby said with a bit of a smirk about BL, it would be recognized immediately as abuse.

Since she couldn't drive the van, but it was totally in her name was he along because she needed a chauffeur, someone for the heavy lifting and to appear in a photo whenever she needed him to? Not a partner, but a lackey?

Two years working and planning, but she did not even know how to put her photos into her blog. She had not bothered to learn her software. So, while BL returned to Florida, she stayed in a hotel and, over the phone, worked with her dad to figure out how to get her pictures up.

Seriously? But she was qualified to be in charge of all the money and van ownership?

As posted, LE in Moab did say, had they made an arrest at that time, GP was the one they would have had to arrest. They seemed to think she was also being abused. But on that particular day, he was driving erratically because she was beating on him as he drove. Because of her actions, it is possible both of them could have died that day. Or perhaps an innocent person. It's a good thing LE did stop them. But the level their relationship had reached by that point, the terrible endings were probably inevitable at that point.

Two young people are dead. Both were involved in their incredibly destructive, abusive relationship and IMO the evidence says both contributed to the abuse and outcome.

Both families have lost a child. Everyone in this sad story is a victim and "blame" (if you must blame) has to go both ways.

As for the Laundries shutting down communication with the Pepito family, probably they did know them really well and what any involvement with them would have led to. Sometimes, for your own survival, you must separate yourself from certain people. All these lawsuits and no amount of money will bring either child back. It only fans the nightmare.

Two young people are dead. In my opinion, they were in an extremely toxic and abusive relationship that went both ways.

Why is it ok that all the money was in Gabby's name? IIRC, at the beginning it was revealed they had both worked 18 months to two years to save toward her dream. One of them worked two jobs. I was thinking it was BL.

Their relationship was certainly not a partnership. All the money was hers. The camper was hers. The dream was hers; the blog was hers.

Now, IIRC she did sell her car to buy the van, but where did the rest of the money come from? Or did BL and his dad build and work and paint to get it into shape? I have only vague recollections of the details. It was established she could not drive it, so why was it in her name only?

Don't you think that if this were turned around and a man took money a woman had worked a couple of years to help him accumulate for a common goal, then had put the money in only his name and could make the dismissive, denigrating remark "She's not good with money" that Gabby said with a bit of a smirk about BL, it would be recognized immediately as abuse.

Since she couldn't drive the van, but it was totally in her name was he along because she needed a chauffeur, someone for the heavy lifting and to appear in a photo whenever she needed him to? Not a partner, but a lackey?

Two years working and planning, but she did not even know how to put her photos into her blog. She had not bothered to learn her software. So, while BL returned to Florida, she stayed in a hotel and, over the phone, worked with her dad to figure out how to get her pictures up.

Seriously? But she was qualified to be in charge of all the money and van ownership?

As posted, LE in Moab did say, had they made an arrest at that time, GP was the one they would have had to arrest. They seemed to think she was also being abused. But on that particular day, he was driving erratically because she was beating on him as he drove. Because of her actions, it is possible both of them could have died that day. Or perhaps an innocent person. It's a good thing LE did stop them. But the level their relationship had reached by that point, the terrible endings were probably inevitable at that point.

Two young people are dead. Both were involved in their incredibly destructive, abusive relationship and IMO the evidence says both contributed to the abuse and outcome.

Both families have lost a child. Everyone in this sad story is a victim and "blame" (if you must blame) has to go both ways.

As for the Laundries shutting down communication with the Pepito family, probably they did know them really well and what any involvement with them would have led to. Sometimes, for your own survival, you must separate yourself from certain people. All these lawsuits and no amount of money will bring either child back. It only fans the nightmare.
One was murdered.
The murderer committed suicide DAYS later.
Hardly Romeo & Juliet
BL chose to end GP’s life.
He murdered her.
She was the victim.
He was not a victim.

All MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online