Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
GP as Instigator?

@CrimeDawg123
Seeing the actual videos from LEOs' body worn cameras could enlighten us but failing that, we have quotes from a reviewer who did watch them. And rewatched them over the course of months reviewing the case, and able to pause, rewind, fast-forward, take notes, resulting in a 102 page report.

From "Gabrielle Petito Statements to Law Enforcement" on page 5,* Gabby said to LEOs,
- she has a “mean attitude.”
- "to be honest, I definitely hit him first.”
- "she had slapped Brian a couple of times and Brian kept telling her to “shut up.”"
- “I guess but I hit him first.” (<- after LEO asked “did he hit you though?”)
- “I hit him.” (<- "when asked about the van hitting into the curb.")
- "was hitting Brian while he was driving but “not a lot but yeah.” "

IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL.

I highly recommend reading the report.
* An independent law enforcement agency completed a 102 page report of Moab LE's interactions w GP & BL, after reviewing the body-worn camera footage and interviewing Assistant Chief Palmer, Officer Pratt, and Officer Robbins. The interviews were recorded using an audio recording device.
I do not believe that Gabby was the instigator. I did read the report. I found the below quoted portion, which wasn't included in your post, very pivotal as it precluded the actual police encounter. I believe, had LE given proper weight to this initial report, they would have come to a different conclusion as to who instigated the violence. (It is also referenced in other portions of the report as well, but in my haste to post, I haven't located them yet. I will research further if there is any confusion.)

"Initial Call to Dispatch:
On August 12, 2021, at 16:39:16, the Grand County Dispatch Center received a call from <Redacted> who was calling to report what he described as a “domestic dispute.” <Redacted> reports he was driving and saw a “gentleman slapping the girl.” <Redacted> stated he stopped driving and the male and female “ran up and down the sidewalk” where “he proceeded to hit her.” <Redacted> stated they hopped in the van and drove off. <Redacted> said he took a picture of the license plate and describes the vehicle and the license plate information. <Redacted> further describes the make, model, and other characteristics of the van."

But you are correct, al66pine, that Gabby did state that she had hit Brian first. The other witness report, which I'm searching for now, puts her admission in a bit of a different light. I will continue searching and post it to see if you might agree that perhaps Gabby might have been martyring a bit (maybe to prevent charges against Brian?)

Edited by me to add last paragraph.

Last edited:
“Mutual abuse“ does not exist; an abusive relationship is between the person being abused and the person being abusive. Defending yourself against your abuser is not being abusive. I am saying this as someone trained as an advocate for survivors of DV and SA.

Brian Laundrie was the abusive one. Gabby “hitting him” is self-defense. We don’t need to have been there to prove that because one person was viciously murdered by being bludgeoned and strangled, and the other went on the run after calling his parents for help getting a lawyer.

Edit: I have included a source. I am not going to be debating this because in my experience, if a person that is not formally educated on a subject is determined to believe whatever status quo they have already been raised with, then not all the academic sources and training in the world will convince them otherwise. However, perhaps someone will read the source I included can learn and it will help them or someone else in the future.

Last edited:
Two young people are dead. Both were involved in their incredibly destructive, abusive relationship and IMO the evidence says both contributed to the abuse and outcome.
Snipped by me.
I have no doubt that both were immature and dysfunctional. But only one put their hands on the other's throat and choked the life out of them.

I do not believe that Gabby was the instigator. I did read the report. I found the below quoted portion, which wasn't included in your post, very pivotal as it precluded the actual police encounter. I believe, had LE given proper weight to this initial report, they would have come to a different conclusion as to who instigated the violence. (It is also referenced in other portions of the report as well, but in my haste to post, I haven't located them yet. I will research further if there is any confusion.)

"Initial Call to Dispatch:
On August 12, 2021, at 16:39:16, the Grand County Dispatch Center received a call from <Redacted> who was calling to report what he described as a “domestic dispute.” <Redacted> reports he was driving and saw a “gentleman slapping the girl.” <Redacted> stated he stopped driving and the male and female “ran up and down the sidewalk” where “he proceeded to hit her.” <Redacted> stated they hopped in the van and drove off. <Redacted> said he took a picture of the license plate and describes the vehicle and the license plate information. <Redacted> further describes the make, model, and other characteristics of the van."

But you are correct, al66pine, that Gabby did state that she had hit Brian first. The other witness report, which I'm searching for now, puts her admission in a bit of a different light. I will continue searching and post it to see if you might agree that perhaps Gabby might have been martyring a bit (maybe to prevent charges against Brian?)

Edited by me to add last paragraph.
Gabby seems to have been groomed by Brian to take all the blame, everytime. Brian even groomed his own mother, probably his sister, I don't know about Laundrie Dad, he 's so beaten down I've never heard a word from him, Brian had Gabby working for him, spending money on him, obeying him, every now and then she jacked up but was drawn back into the vortex. Groomers work at their craft day and night, and often have a few balls juggling in the air at any one time, it's a well defined trait.

In Moab, Gabby was frantic to take the blame, Brian had already beaten her around in the main street, tried to take off in her own car without her, leaving her stranded in a strange town, Gabby knew what was coming up and there are witnesses that saw what in fact did occur, Brian making a complete drongo of himself, a real attention seeking tantrum in a restaurant, ,to discombobulate Gabby just before Rose arrived. .... classic groomer action.

I suspect the imminent visit by Rose had a lot to do with the timing of Gabby's death, Rose being a bit of a critic of Brian's treatment of Gabby.

Is there a thread on gabby here that is just main stream media posts without all of the discussion?

MEDIA, MAPS *NO DISCUSSION*​

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*​

Last edited:

MEDIA, MAPS *NO DISCUSSION*​

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*​

You are a lovely person!!! Thank you so much!

One was murdered.
The murderer committed suicide DAYS later.
Hardly Romeo & Juliet
BL chose to end GP’s life.
He murdered her.
She was the victim.
He was not a victim.

All MOO
IMO, they were both victims of each other. <modsnip: personalizing> They were two kids who destroyed each other, as I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what reality would parents receive a frantic call from their child informing them that their longstanding partner was "gone," and feel the need to spend big thousands of dollars on lawyers - without asking what "gone" means?

Anyone?

Color Me Confused.
Two young people are dead. In my opinion, they were in an extremely toxic and abusive relationship that went both ways.
Why is it ok that all the money was in Gabby's name? IIRC, at the beginning it was revealed they had both worked 18 months to two years to save toward her dream. One of them worked two jobs. I was thinking it was BL.
Their relationship was certainly not a partnership. All the money was hers. The camper was hers. The dream was hers; the blog was hers.
Now, IIRC she did sell her car to buy the van, but where did the rest of the money come from? Or did BL and his dad build and work and paint to get it into shape? I have only vague recollections of the details. It was established she could not drive it, so why was it in her name only?
Don't you think that if this were turned around and a man took money a woman had worked a couple of years to help him accumulate for a common goal, then had put the money in only his name and could make the dismissive, denigrating remark "She's not good with money" that Gabby said with a bit of a smirk about BL, it would be recognized immediately as abuse.
Since she couldn't drive the van, but it was totally in her name was he along because she needed a chauffeur, someone for the heavy lifting and to appear in a photo whenever she needed him to? Not a partner, but a lackey?

Two years working and planning, but she did not even know how to put her photos into her blog. She had not bothered to learn her software. So, while BL returned to Florida, she stayed in a hotel and, over the phone, worked with her dad to figure out how to get her pictures up.
Seriously? But she was qualified to be in charge of all the money and van ownership?
As posted, LE in Moab did say, had they made an arrest at that time, GP was the one they would have had to arrest. They seemed to think she was also being abused. But on that particular day, he was driving erratically because she was beating on him as he drove. Because of her actions, it is possible both of them could have died that day. Or perhaps an innocent person. It's a good thing LE did stop them. But the level their relationship had reached by that point, the terrible endings were probably inevitable at that point.

Two young people are dead. Both were involved in their incredibly destructive, abusive relationship and IMO the evidence says both contributed to the abuse and outcome.
Both families have lost a child. Everyone in this sad story is a victim and "blame" (if you must blame) has to go both ways.

As for the Laundries shutting down communication with the Pepito family, probably they did know them really well and what any involvement with them would have led to. Sometimes, for your own survival, you must separate yourself from certain people. All these lawsuits and no amount of money will bring either child back. It only fans the nightmare.
@CuriousCricket
If ^ post is actually asking me to respond w my "thoughts," I'll pass commenting about GP's & BL's long term relationship and any financial arrangements they may or may not have reached.

My post focussed on information gleaned from report of the approx. 75 minutes the LEOs spent at the scene of the incident that day and in particular, GP' stmts to LE, that she hit and slapped BL (physical exchanges for my lack of better term).

Not concluding GP was the instigator, my post said in part:
"IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL."

Two young people are dead. In my opinion, they were in an extremely toxic and abusive relationship that went both ways.
I'm actually glad that this was posted, so we can highlight all of the general misconceptions of what happened and what domestic violence is:

Brian murdered Gabby and then himself. Brian is the reason they are both dead.

Brian's abuse caused Gabby to defend herself. The police report notes that Gabby smacked Brian because he would not let her back into her own vehicle (locked her out), and a witness said Brian was trying to drive away (abandoning her without her computer and all belongings).

Brian was lying to the police about how much money he had. His parents later filed a claim to get $20,000 out of his BoA account after his death. Brian likely never told Gabby how much he actually had.

He also lied to the police about not having a cell phone (which he then produced in front of them).

Gabby sold her car and bought the van, which was renovated for camping by herself, Brian, and Brian's dad. The pink slip is in Gabby's name because she is the one who bought it.

Gabby could drive the van, actually, but did not feel confident in driving because of Brian's criticisms. Brian decided he would be the only driver so he would be in control.

Interesting how the pink slip was in Gabby's name but Brian convinced her that he should control where, when, and how they would go anywhere.

It's important to note that Gabby may have stayed in a hotel room because Brian took the keys with him when he went back to Florida for a week of storage emergency.

Gabby's murder was NOT "inevitable".
Domestic violence is murder in slow motion without intervention. The police intervention in Moab was not carried out correctly.

Gabby did NOT "contribute" to her own abuse and death. Talk about blaming the victim!!!

Sometimes it’s necessary to step away from discussing an emotionally charged case like this one. That is okay!

There’s nothing productive about exchanging nasty comments with fellow posters who share differing opinions.

Parents Glossing Over "Gone?"
In what reality would parents receive a frantic call from their child informing them that their longstanding partner was "gone," and feel the need to spend big thousands of dollars on lawyers - without asking what "gone" means?
Anyone?
@ExpectingUnicorns
No reality that I personally know of.

Other Angles?
I do not believe that Gabby was the instigator. I did read the report. I found the below quoted portion, which wasn't included in your post, very pivotal as it precluded the actual police encounter. I believe, had LE given proper weight to this initial report, they would have come to a different conclusion as to who instigated the violence.
(...sbm...)
But you are correct, al66pine, that Gabby did state that she had hit Brian first.
(...sbm...)
to see if you might agree that perhaps Gabby might have been martyring a bit (maybe to prevent charges against Brian?)
(...sbm...)
snipped for focus. @ExpectingUnicorns

Certainly, LEOs responding to the call may have reached a different conclusion if they had been provided w more info.

Also will agree that GP may have been self "martyring" a bit, as you phrased it ;) in trying reach a no-arrest resolution, but that is speculation

As a point of clarification, I did not conclude that GP was the "instigator" (not that your post stated that I did), which was a term another poster used.

From my post:
""IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL."

Thanks for your post, for your careful read of the looooong report, and using info from it to encourage viewing the situation from various angles. :)

Last edited:
Other Angles?

snipped for focus. @ExpectingUnicorns

Certainly, LEO's responding to the call may have reached a different conclusion if they had been provided w more info.

Also will agree that GP may have been self "martyring" a bit, as you phrased it ;) in trying reach a no-arrest resolution, but that is speculation

As a point of clarification, I did not conclude that GP was the "instigator" (not that your post stated that I did), which was a term another poster used.

From my post:
""IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL."

Thanks for your post, for your careful read of the looooong report, and using info from it n
to encourage viewing the situation from various angles. :)
And I appreciate your perspectives and sharing too, al66pine.

One was murdered.
The murderer committed suicide DAYS later.
Hardly Romeo & Juliet
BL chose to end GP’s life.
He murdered her.
She was the victim.
He was not a victim.

All MOO
I totally agree! This was not a he said, she said equivalent relationship. He was the murderer and abuser. Period!

Gabby seems to have been groomed by Brian to take all the blame, everytime. Brian even groomed his own mother, probably his sister, I don't know about Laundrie Dad, he 's so beaten down I've never heard a word from him, Brian had Gabby working for him, spending money on him, obeying him, every now and then she jacked up but was drawn back into the vortex. Groomers work at their craft day and night, and often have a few balls juggling in the air at any one time, it's a well defined trait.

In Moab, Gabby was frantic to take the blame, Brian had already beaten her around in the main street, tried to take off in her own car without her, leaving her stranded in a strange town, Gabby knew what was coming up and there are witnesses that saw what in fact did occur, Brian making a complete drongo of himself, a real attention seeking tantrum in a restaurant, ,to discombobulate Gabby just before Rose arrived. .... classic groomer action.

I suspect the imminent visit by Rose had a lot to do with the timing of Gabby's death, Rose being a bit of a critic of Brian's treatment of Gabby.
Exactly, and he took her phone, which is what provoked her to attack him. Then he calmly tells LE how hysterical she is.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

In any jurisdiction, across the world, crossing language and cultural and economic and geographical boundaries, normal taxpayng, ordinary citizens, man or woman, black brown or brindle, would look at the both bodies, Brian, and Gabby, and see utter, monumental , colossal, eternal irredeemable absolutes.

One was murdered, and one murdered himself.

Two entirely forever-unchangeable events, not all the sophistry and word magic can ever change that concrete, immovable fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member