Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets say the Laundries asked BL what happened to Gabby.

Did he answer their questions or refuse to talk about it? If he did answer those questions did he answer them truthfully? Or did he lie and make up a story that absolved him from harming her.

I watch a lot of police body cam videos. It's common for LE to pull illicit drugs out of suspects pockets and they say it's not theirs. Or saying their not resisting while kicking and throwing punches at the cops. Their caught on tape and still lie.

So maybe BL did tell his parents some kind of strange unbelievable tale about what happened to Gabby and relaying that BS to the Petito family would not be of any kind of help to them or to their son.

So they stayed silent.

JMO.
BBM. All of our children were in relationships that they didn't want to discuss after breakups. I don't find that to be unusual or alarming.

JMO

This country has invested so much into domestic violence hotlines, court programs, advocacy. This case doesn't seem to be about domestic violence. I find the Petito lawsuit against the Moab officers to be bizarre. Those cops were kind and trying to help.

Gabby made a point of telling the officers BL was kind to her and wanted them both to "take a breather." Her response to him was anger and hitting him. She demanded water. She was definitely the instigator but why?

I noticed that MOAB LE offered Gabby a Gatorade and she declined but did accept water. I'm wondering if she was suffering from high altitude sickness, was seriously dehydrated and didn't realize it. The Grand Tetons where her body was found is an even higher altitude.

When I was Gabby's age, I fell hiking in the mountains of a National Park, badly broke my ankle. It was excruciating pain. Fortunately, it was near the park entrance and a hospital was close by. The doctor said I was dehydrated, and I got IV fluids and oxygen. I think BL's suicide letter is likely true. <modsnip>

JMO
There seems to be lots of articles discussing the frustration of living together in the cramped quarters of "van life". To the Moab police, Gabby mentioned how frustrating it was to try to develop the following she had hoped to find. Perhaps they were fine before they left Florida and tried living in such close quarters. Add that to attempting to do something they hadn't prepared themselves for, didn't know how and that took time to accomplish . . .

In addition to the mental strain was the difference in their physical landscape and not having anyone around for support. The Tetons are incredibly beautiful and the hiking great. As you mentioned, elevation does affect our bodies in strange ways and travel adds stress. I don't know what happened, and yes, his suicide note could have been real about her being in an accident and begging him to stop the pain. Afterward, of course, his actions were extremely stupid. Again, they really were kids and appear to have been somewhat pampered kids. But outrageous actions in a time of crisis are not limited to just kids. Mature people often make catastrophic mistakes in a crisis, as well. BL doesn't get a pass for his actions, but facts being completely ignored just to vilify him. Well, that shouldn't get a pass either, in my opinion.

As an outsider to this case, myself included, I am not able to speculate on who might have said what, when, or to whom.

It will be good if and when the GP family civil suit against BL family proceeds, and the involved parties can be deposed under oath. And once and if that happens, maybe what might (or might not) have happened will become evident. MOO
Chris and Roberta Laundrie were deposed last October. It's where the "gone" statement came from. Not sure if further depositions will reveal more evidence.

There may be things in the Laundries deposition that we don't know about which could help the Petitos at trial.

During depositions for the upcoming civil trial between the two families, Chris and Roberta Laundrie said in a “frantic” phone call on Aug. 29, 2021, two days after Petito was believed to have been murdered, that their son informed them that Petito was “gone” and that he needed a lawyer, according to Petito attorney Pat Reilly.

Reilly said Chris and Roberta Laundrie did not admit to knowing Petito had been killed, only that they were told by Brian Laundrie that she was “gone.”

There seems to be lots of articles discussing the frustration of living together in the cramped quarters of "van life". To the Moab police, Gabby mentioned how frustrating it was to try to develop the following she had hoped to find. Perhaps they were fine before they left Florida and tried living in such close quarters. Add that to attempting to do something they hadn't prepared themselves for, didn't know how and that took time to accomplish . . .

In addition to the mental strain was the difference in their physical landscape and not having anyone around for support. The Tetons are incredibly beautiful and the hiking great. As you mentioned, elevation does affect our bodies in strange ways and travel adds stress. I don't know what happened, and yes, his suicide note could have been real about her being in an accident and begging him to stop the pain. Afterward, of course, his actions were extremely stupid. Again, they really were kids and appear to have been somewhat pampered kids. But outrageous actions in a time of crisis are not limited to just kids. Mature people often make catastrophic mistakes in a crisis, as well. BL doesn't get a pass for his actions, but facts being completely ignored just to vilify him. Well, that shouldn't get a pass either, in my opinion.
Mind stating what facts have been completely ignored just to vilify Brian?

BBM. All very good points. I also think the timing of their trip had a lot to do with their anxiety and stress. Gas prices were sky high and National Parks were packed with people trying to escape Covid.

That said, my biggest issue is facts are being ignored to vilify Moab police and BL's parents.

JMO

Nor are those the actions of a woman who is afraid of the man. Wouldn't a woman being badly abused be afraid of the consequences of hitting him and calling him names?
<modsnip>

Gabby didn't know Brian's abuse would get worse over time. Every victim hopes it will get better, or happen less frequently. Nobody expects to be murdered when breaking up with someone, obviously. I won't blame the victim for not predicting their abuser's actions. I won't blame the victim by insinuating she should have walked on eggshells to avoid her abuser's wrath.

It's true that an abuse victim will take calculated risks to escape, such as purposefully grabbing the wheel to hit the curb when you know the cops are right behind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Moab police are not being vilified.
Dr. Laura Richards and the July 2022 Domestic Violence Report have detailed information regarding how the Moab police did not assess the situation correctly, and both agree that the Moab police did not even properly apply Utah's Physical Aggressor law correctly. I am not a lawyer, but found the above links helpful in understanding the reason for the lawsuit.

Mind stating what facts have been completely ignored just to vilify Brian?
I am not sure that Brian, and the L's in general are not being vilified enough. All three entered into a criminal conspiracy to evade police investigation of Gabby's whereabouts, and her condition, and her situation in general. That is part of why the L"s are being sued. That will be quite the legal vilifying, enough to last a lifetime. Any 'vilifying' on Brian on WS is chickeny stuff,, in comparison.

Brian, just for one example , took upon himself, illegally, and criminally, the judgement of Gabby's life, and death, He was judge, jury and executioner of her, diagnosing her supposed ailments, ( no qualifications for doing that , at all ) murdering her, pronouncing her dead, in his capacity as part time average driver of a small van, not really qualified for that job, and then, in a most uncivilised and repulsive manner , left her body to rot in the elements while he tootled off in her car back to mummy.

In any sane society, that cannot go unvilified. You cannot sit for days in a van , driving clear across the USA, using someone elses credit cards, and not know that you are doing wrong, must report this death of your partner. If Brian was able to manipulate his parents into obeying his dictat of silence to the P's , then they attracted vilification, you can't let your adult son run your life into a criminal conspiracy, unless you are bone deep stupid. They must have known it was the wrong thing to do. Known it wasn't the right thing to do, as well. That is, they knew right from wrong, M'naughten.

If you accept this behavior as normal, as acceptable, as presentable as reasonable, then take another good look, really hard. You cannot expect a society to survive if this is accepted.

I am not sure that Brian, and the L's in general are not being vilified enough. All three entered into a criminal conspiracy to evade police investigation of Gabby's whereabouts, and her condition, and her situation in general. That is part of why the L"s are being sued. That will be quite the legal vilifying, enough to last a lifetime. Any 'vilifying' on Brian on WS is chickeny stuff,, in comparison.

Brian, just for one example , took upon himself, illegally, and criminally, the judgement of Gabby's life, and death, He was judge, jury and executioner of her, diagnosing her supposed ailments, ( no qualifications for doing that , at all ) murdering her, pronouncing her dead, in his capacity as part time average driver of a small van, not really qualified for that job, and then, in a most uncivilised and repulsive manner , left her body to rot in the elements while he tootled off in her car back to mummy.

In any sane society, that cannot go unvilified. You cannot sit for days in a van , driving clear across the USA, using someone elses credit cards, and not know that you are doing wrong, must report this death of your partner. If Brian was able to manipulate his parents into obeying his dictat of silence to the P's , then they attracted vilification, you can't let your adult son run your life into a criminal conspiracy, unless you are bone deep stupid. They must have known it was the wrong thing to do. Known it wasn't the right thing to do, as well. That is, they knew right from wrong, M'naughten.

If you accept this behavior as normal, as acceptable, as presentable as reasonable, then take another good look, really hard. You cannot expect a society to survive if this is accepted.

Do you have a link that says that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were involved in some kind of criminal conspiracy? This is the first I've heard. They were never charged for any crime. This is a civil suit they are facing, which has nothing to do with criminality.

They are victims of BL's actions and there is no need to vilify them.

Do you have a link that says that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were involved in some kind of criminal conspiracy? This is the first I've heard. They were never charged for any crime. This is a civil suit they are facing, which has nothing to do with criminality.

They are the recipients of civil suite, and that qualifies, No need to vilify Gabby , either, but she is dead, and cannot refure the vilifying.

<modsnip>

Gabby didn't know Brian's abuse would get worse over time. Every victim hopes it will get better, or happen less frequently. Nobody expects to be murdered when breaking up with someone, obviously. I won't blame the victim for not predicting their abuser's actions. I won't blame the victim by insinuating she should have walked on eggshells to avoid her abuser's wrath.

It's true that an abuse victim will take calculated risks to escape, such as purposefully grabbing the wheel to hit the curb when you know the cops are right behind you.
You are an absolute gem housewife xo

<modsnip>

100%.

However, some questions still remain as to why Brian’s parents Chris and Roberta Laundrie weren’t charged for helping their son after he returned to Southwest Florida.

“Because they did not actively participate in the crime nor did they actively hide him from the police,” said Pamella Seay, a law professor at Florida Gulf Coast University.
“It would be very difficult to embroil her into an accessory-after-the-fact type of crime when she hasn’t taken any substantial step towards the commission of that crime,” CNN legal analyst Joey Jackson said of Laundrie’s mother. “So I would be on the side of no criminal exposure whatsoever.”

CNN analysis. <modsnip: rude> the P's disagree with this conclusion, and have, as matter of their legal right, their constitutional right, I might add, chosen to test this vague opinion in a court of law. Which is why you are posting stuff, and why I am posting stuff. Because the P's hold the opinion that that conclusion is erroneous.

Let's reverse it. If the P's had not instigated this civil suit, would you be posting anything at all about Gabby Petito"? Would I ? no.

CNN analysis. Obviously, and I should not have to point this out, <modsnip> the P's disagree with this conclusion, and have, as matter of their legal right, their constitutional right, I might add, chosen to test this vague opinion in a court of law. Which is why you are posting stuff, and why I am posting stuff. Because the P's hold the opinion that that conclusion is erroneous.

The Petito's are suing the Laudrie's in civil court. Nothing to do with criminal charges. In the U.S., we iron out civil disagreements in civil court.

See statement above.

That's the post I was replying to.
Motives of civil lawsuits can be many, but the civil courts in the U.S. are not adjudicating a case based on the filers' motives, but on American civil law. An important distinction.

The Laundries are not and have never been charged with anything criminal. Regardless of what a plaintiff believes in a civil trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74