Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never watched the Sopranos and know no one who did watch it. How many years has it been off the air?

Do you have proof the Laundrie parents watched the program?

JMO
I was more making a joke rather than a literal implication that the Laundries liked the Sopranos. Seems I have something in common with like Roberta- I love making jokes!

I'm trying to understand your point of view.

You're certain that the Laundries knew BL killed Gabby before he killed himself and left the note. You're not certain that the Lanudries knew BL was suicidal.

Is this correct?

I don't know how to say it more clearly but I'll try:

I did not say I was certain. It's my opinion that one or both parents knew BL killed Gabby.

As for whether or not they believed or knew BL might or would hurt himself, I haven't yet formed an opinion one way or the other.

[....]

God bless all of them, the Petitos and Laundries, and my heart goes out to all of them.
(Snipped by me.)

My heart goes out to Gabby's parents, who were living a nightmare, and in abject fear for their missing child, continuously called, texted, begged, and pleaded for the Laundries to contact them, to say something, say anything, acknowledge, tell us what you know, etc. as the Laundries stayed silent. Makes me feel ill.

IMO

Last edited:
IMO Just because his parents already knew doesn't mean he wouldn't write it in his journal. I don't get why that would have anything to do with it.

IMO It's obvious by now that his parents knew.

And yes of course there are countless parents who do nothing when their children are suicidal. There are neglected children, estranged children, abused children, and even children killed by the parents themselves.

So IMO it's not much of a leap, especially knowing what we know about BL's parents.
I wo
I don't have an opinion on whether or not Brian's parents knew he was going to harm himself. (Beyond thinking it might be a possibility.)

I was responding to someone's post that said in part, "I will never believe any parent "accepts" that their child is suicidal and does nothing."

I showed their quote in my response and I even bolded to show what I was responding to.

IMO, they knew Brian killed Gabby. But whether they knew he was going to hurt himself, I don't know.
They knew, and let him go imo. I 100% believe they accepted he was suicidal and left him to it.

This is how I see it.

And, although a jury can do anything (and often does), I don't see that the Laundries did anything different from what any other parents would do.

I think both families have suffered immensely, but I don't think the Laundries are liable for behaving in a way that might or might not have made the Petitos feel better. They had to do what was right for their family and their situation at the time.

Sharing their thoughts that Gabby *might* be dead would have been perceived as cruel to my way of thinking. Unless I knew for sure someone was dead, I would not suggest that to their loved ones.

The Laundries were probably trying to give their son the benefit of the doubt--he was likely very upset and they seemed to sense he might commit suicide, so why would they exacerbate his angst? I see Brian as being a person who was high-strung, and his parents were probably used to trying to calm him down. Just all MOO, of course, but the last thing a parent would do would be to suggest to the other set of parents that their child might be dead.

None of us can say for sure what we would have done in the Laundrie's position, but I think I would have held out hope that Gabby was alive, maybe she had run off and was mad, maybe they had a fight and he hit her, maybe many things. But the last thing I'd do is run to her parents and tell them I thought she might be dead when I didn't know for sure.

I don't think Brian confessed to them. I think he left them hanging and that's why he wrote the suicide note he did.

There would be no reason to write that note if he had confessed to his parents. They were the only ones left he cared about and he wanted to soften the blow. He made up an odd tale, but I think he did it to ease the pain his actions would cause for his parents.

All MOO.
BBM

IMO I think most parents wouldn't have behaved as the Laundries did, thank God.

Gabby's parents were suffering from lack of ANY knowledge or information, begging the Laundries to just tell what they knew, if anything.

The Laundries staying silent and refusing to answer or acknowledge Gabby's parents was shockingly cruel, Imo

BBM

I don't think the issue is whether Gabby's family suffered. I think we all know they did and still are. No one doubts that. Many of us also think the Laundries suffered and are still suffering. (And it amazes me when people deny that or somehow claim they "deserve it.")

But the lawsuit isn't about whether GP's family suffered. The issue is whether the Laundries should have contacted GP's family. Would they have suffered significantly less had the Laundries called to say "We don't know what happened, we don't know what our son meant by "Gabby's gone" but have you considered your daughter could be dead?" I don't think that would have lessened their suffering myself.
MOO
BBM

IMO Yes, they would've suffered less. Of course they would have. They were suffering because they knew absolutely nothing, and the Laundries refused to acknowledge them. Gabby's parents spent a lot of time begging the Laundries to say something and wondering why they weren't.

I highly doubt anyone here thinks the Laundries should've said, "...have you considered your daughter could be dead?"

I'm seeing a few comments about how it wouldn't have made much difference if the Laundries had spoken up sooner, and that everyone involved can now move on, or should move on, etc.

None of this would've gone on as long as did if the Laundries had responded to the desperate pleas of Gabby's parents IMO.

Gabby's parents very much wanted to move forward back then.

I know more than a few people think what the Laundries did was perfectly normal and understandable.

I personally don't see making people suffer in that way as anything less than cruel and cold.

IMO

I don't know what case you are following but this one doesn't involve BL's parents delaying anything.
It isn't their fault the local cops mistook RL for BL.

JMO
BBM

I think perhaps you don't know the whole story about the beginnings of the case, especially regarding the Laundries silence.

It is well-established they were not saying anything at the beginning.

I'm seeing a few comments about how it wouldn't have made much difference if the Laundries had spoken up sooner, and that everyone involved can now move on, or should move on, etc.

None of this would've gone on as long as did if the Laundries had responded to the desperate pleas of Gabby's parents IMO.

Gabby's parents very much wanted to move forward back then.

I know more than a few people think what the Laundries did was perfectly normal and understandable.

I personally don't see making people suffer in that way as anything less than cruel and cold.

IMO

There's nothing "perfectly normal" about parents finding themselves in the midst of this kind of situation. The Laundries did their best under the cirumstances with advice from their attorney as they tried to deal with a situation that very few parents would ever find themselves in.

It's okay to disagree with the posts that have feelings for both families. At this point, with the civl case over, many of us wish for peace and healing as both families move forward with their lives. The Petitos will likely do good things to raise awareness of domestic violence, and hopefully the Laundries will find peace, over time, in their own way as well.

I highly doubt anyone here thinks the Laundries should've said, "...have you considered your daughter could be dead?"

<snipped>

I don't know what anyone here thinks, only what they write. And if you go back and read the posts, you'll see that several people did essentially write just that. That even if BL never told his parents GP was dead (& it seems to me he did not) since it did occur to the Laundries per their depositions that she might be dead, they had a responsibility to share that thought with the Petitos.
MOO

There's nothing "perfectly normal" about parents finding themselves in the midst of this kind of situation. The Laundries did their best under the cirumstances with advice from their attorney as they tried to deal with a situation that very few parents would ever find themselves in.

It's okay to disagree with the posts that have feelings for both families. At this point, with the civl case over, many of us wish for peace and healing as both families move forward with their lives. The Petitos will likely do good things to raise awareness of domestic violence, and hopefully the Laundries will find peace, over time, in their own way as well.
BBM

That's not what I said. I didn't say it was "perfectly normal" for parents to find themselves in this situation.

I said there's a few people who think what the Laundries did by staying silent would be perfectly normal and understandable in that situation. IMO you then state a similar sentiment by saying "The Laundries did their best under the circumstances ...[...]"

As I've made clear, I highly disagree. And I also can't say I agree with your wish for peace for the Laundries.

<snipped>

I don't know what anyone here thinks, only what they write. And if you go back and read the posts, you'll see that several people did essentially write just that. That even if BL never told his parents GP was dead (& it seems to me he did not) since it did occur to the Laundries per their depositions that she might be dead, they had a responsibility to share that thought with the Petitos.
MOO

I don't pretend to know for sure what people think. I said "highly doubt." I haven't seen that sentiment, but OK, I will say it's possible. But I think you're skipping over my point. Maybe you missed the part in the same post where I said "IMO Yes, they would've suffered less....... They were suffering because they knew absolutely nothing, and the Laundries refused to acknowledge them."
The problem most people have with the Laundries, according to my understanding and what I've seen, is that they didn't say anything. They didn't tell what they knew, no matter how little.

Last edited:

I sure do hope that both families move towards healing from these tragic events.

JMO.

I don't pretend to know for sure what people think. I said "highly doubt." I haven't seen that sentiment, but OK, I will say it's possible. But I think you're missing the point. The problem most people have with the Laundries, according to my understanding and what I've seen, is that they didn't say anything. They didn't tell what they knew, no matter how little.
Their legal counsel would have advised them against this, as any legal counsel would in this kind of situation.

I don't pretend to know for sure what people think. I said "highly doubt." I haven't seen that sentiment, but OK, I will say it's possible. But I think you're missing the point. The problem most people have with the Laundries, according to my understanding and what I've seen, is that they didn't say anything. They didn't tell what they knew, no matter how little.
I have no problem with the Laundries following the advice given to them by their lawyer. I also feel that they knew so little that it would not have made any difference to how Gabby's family were feeling. JMO.

I have no problem with the Laundries following the advice given to them by their lawyer. I also feel that they knew so little that it would not have made any difference to how Gabby's family were feeling. JMO.
BBM

You may have missed the beginnings of the case when her anguished parents were begging the Laundries to say anything. Before and after Gabby was reported missing.

Well yes, such as in some cases where criminal defense attorneys know their client is guilty, and the client knows they themselves are guilty.
Competent attorneys routinely tell clients not to talk to anyone about the case. That's often the first advice they give and it is hardly limited to cases where the attorney believes a client is guilty. Unfortunately too many innocent people find themselves in trouble because they naively believed as long as they'd done nothing wrong, they couldn't be hurt by talking. Nothing could be further from the truth.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member