Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it would create an even bigger media circus and distract the searchers? Maybe?
I can see that, but I also agree with @TheGardener in that how they’re acting (sitting at home and just casually checking their mail) does NOT at all speak towards the mindset of the parents of a missing person who may be in danger. I used to volunteer with families of the missing-none of them were this casual. Not even those who had family members suspected of being involved in crimes. They wanted to know their loved one was safe and didn’t care what/who was in the way or what judgment came with it. This family is nothing but red flags. IMO it says they don’t really believe he’s in danger at all.

Backcountry permits( I found infomation and not sure if its been shared)

Backcountry Permits - Grand Teton National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

A permit is required for all overnight stays in the Grand Teton backcountry. Permits can be purchased online in advance, or in park the day before.

Permits are available at the Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor Center, Colter Bay Visitor Center, and the Jenny Lake Ranger Station.

Bear Country
Grand Teton is bear country! Grand Teton National Park requires the use of Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee approved canisters for food storage in the backcountry. All permit holders may check out a canister, free of charge.

I slowed the speed play down. It looks like there is something on the windshield of the vehicle they are driving that is casting a shadow in the video. I didn’t see what I felt to be doors open and later close. Just my perspective however..
I know on the dash is GPs hat I saw still images on tiktok from this video and it looks like her hat if that's what you're referring to!

Totally agree. He wasn't a big guy. She was tiny though. But hey that's what tarps are for...to drag things on if too heavy. That and other things.

I am picturing the regular, plastic tarp that people use under their tents (I think we can see it in Gabby's tent video). Not the old school canvas, padded tarps that were in Army surplus stores after WW2.

If that's all Brian had in his backpack when he got into that couple's car, that's very strange.

I'm not seeing how people go "camping with just a tarp" in that region (cold at night, other reasons - such as predators). I guess one could fold it and use it like a bivvy (roll up in it). I've never seen anyone do that. 2 tarps (one strung over a string between trees and another to lie on), I've seen as part of beach camping.

There are enough trees to sling it up (if he had cord) on the route between Spread Creek and Colter Bay. Then he'd have to just lie on the ground under it. Presumably the van was back at Spread Creek.

Why would he do this?

One theory is that Gabby is dead (possibly in the van?) and he can't handle driving the van or disposing of her body at that point, so starts off to Colter Bay, sleeping some along the way. Gets a shower there, but what was he thinking he would do then? Obviously, he eventually goes back to where ever the van was.

I think it had to take him at least 5 hours to walk.

In another scenario, he didn't walk from Spread Creek at all - he hid her and took the van to Colter Bay and then pretended he needed a ride. (someone else suggested this upthread) so that he could create an alibi. Maybe he contacted/sought rides with several people, hoping that some of them would remember him.

Not sure how that would have helped him much, but there's something off with his thinking at that point, perhaps for quite a while.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Pretty generic pistol case. It could hold almost any handgun. The accessories item (in plastic, being handled by the officer) might indicate that the case was manufacturer supplied with the purchase of a handgun. I do not see any brand markings.

Last edited by a moderator:
That appears to be a small suitcase with cloths , possibly clothing
No, definitely, DEFINITELY a gun case. My husband has one just like that. The padding is exactly the same. It appears that there is some other material in there, rags, a towel, or something, but it's for sure a case for a gun.

Mother Gabby Petito confirms sighting of Gabby's van in Grand Teton days after she was last seen | Daily Mail Online

However…
Gabby’s mother told MailOnline that she is 'not entertaining' a TikTok video that’s been widely circulated in which a young woman describes picking up a man she believed to be Brian on the 29th.

'The timeline seems way off. Maybe she thought it was him, but I just know the timeline is off. The van left there the night of the 27th or early on the 28th. The van was in Florida on the first. It’s not possible for it to have been there on the 29th.'

Interior width of a transit is about 6 feet +/-. Their bed looks to be, say, two-thirds(?) of that... so, maybe just shy of 4 feet +/-. Cozy, I suppose.
Other buildouts of the same vehicle say 6 feet of cargo floor behind the seats. I agree 4 feet would be not enough!

Are we sure that's not LE's property they are going through? I would be surprised if they are handling evidence without gloves in front of 50 cameras. They could have done it back in the house out of the view of the media cameras?

They absolutely did this in front of the house on live and we’re not wearing gloves. There are dozens of comments about it in the thread from that night.

I disagree. The smart thing is to do what every decent person on planet earth does in the situation.

You tell a desperate, grieving family where you last saw your girlfriend.

If there is an innocent explanation for this, a life hangs in the balance. You don't just let someone die because you are worried about yourself.

It's either hideously selfish, or it makes complete sense for another reason...
Obviously just IMO but from the police video the guy does not seem very clever. Not saying he's stupid but he just seems quite anxious (understandable in the circumstances) and easily manipulated. So what if they had big fight, became separated, he eventually goes back home thinking <modsnip>, she's not worth the heartache etc and that's why G's parents are kept out of the loop. But as days wear on and she doesn't show up it begins to dawn on him (or his parents) how bad it looks (who would believe a story like that, right; "I swear she was alive and left on her own accord") and they panic and maybe have bad advice given to them and just keep digging a bigger and bigger hole.
Unlikely? Absolutely. But possible? With the information available, it can't be discounted that G going missing had no active involvement from him. Hopefully time will tell.

No, definitely, DEFINITELY a gun case. My husband has one just like that. The padding is exactly the same. It appears that there is some other material in there, rags, a towel, or something, but it's for sure a case for a gun.
There's a longer clip, in which I'm searching for, that they actually remove what looks like a rectangle item from beneath the papers.
I can't speculate what was inside, but if I find the clip, I'll post.

Last night someone posted up a link to a update from LE that said BL's scent was in the reserve.
I missed this-thank you, this is something I was thinking about today. They’d have to know he was there to go back, right? But how long does the scent stay? Could he have been there before Tuesday to set this up?

It is possible it is a gun case in the video, however it is rather deep. It is also very possible it holds camera equipment, testing equipment or any other variety of electronics as Pelican style cases are very weather and shock resistant. Whatever it is, I hope it is not evidence as it is being handled without gloves which just would not make any sense.

Welcome to web sleuths! The weirdest part for me is the family is using a real estate attorney; it's a family friend of theirs but dang, like hire a criminal defense attorney. I don't think anyone has seen or spoken to BL outside of his parents & even then, I don't believe anything the parents say so it's really hard to tell.

That seems significant - Like if you were guilty of a heinous crime would you retain a real estate attorney? It almost seems like BL or his parents went to the family friend for legal advice, not necessarily because a heinous crime had been committed… although again, why retain an attorney in the first place? Such a strange case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB