Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not critcizing Gabby's parents, but was wondering what caused them to feel they didn't feel the need to file a missing person's report for such a long time? Was it common for these kids to not communicate for such a long time? I know they are loving parents, but just wondered what held them back. I would have been hysterical by the time the "Stan" text came.

To semi-quote Gabby, "Wasnt_Me never goes outside!" I have never slept in a tent. NEVER slept outside of walls, and I never want to. I can't remember if I ever slept in a car overnight. I don't think so.
If I ever slept in a car overnight it was when someone was driving straight through on a road trip. This whole van life nomad type experience isn’t for me at all. My anxiety is way too high for that! It’s essentially homelessness and I’ve been homeless.

Sorry but you're mistaking the timeline.

The FBI was assisting on the case. It wasn't until this Tuesday (2 days after the body presumed to be Gabby Petito was found on US Forest Service property) that a local police spokesman first used the term "FBI-led criminal investigation."

Gabby Petito Case: New Brian Laundrie Search Yields Nothing; Hard Drive May Have Clues

Edit: I miss read so this is just a repeat of what you just said

The FBI has been assisting this case from the beginning. They began leading the investigation after her body was discovered.

https://twitter.com/fbidenver/status/1438614950382026755?s=21

If your passport is stamped, it is also recorded. They would already know where he crossed the border and have video of him doing so. There is a database where you can look at your history of crossing borders using your us passport. You need a permit to enter Mexico. In Canada, I believe you need a passport, or nexus card and proof of citizenship from your county of origin.
Can you look at other people’s info too? Or just your own?

If BL or his attorney wasn't directly notified by LE to stay in Florida before the FBI warrant he could have legally obtained or updated a passport in FL and left on an international flight legally.
Correct?
I am under the impression Florida never shut down or closed like other states so he could have made an appt and walked in and applied for a passport or an emergency around Sept 1st when he returned to Florida.
However, the FBI should have access to this info.
I have to assume they would have this info.

Yes. If he left the country using ID issued in his name, the FBI would know and wouldn't be spending massive amounts of money destroying the nature reserve.

I also don't think there are different rules for getting a US passport depending on the state. Passports are federally issued after all. So NY and FL don't have different rules from NC. From Passport Services | Office of Global Engagement | NC State University

"The entire country is experiencing a massive surge in urgent passport demand.

No need to keep calling local offices – all local passport offices across the country, including every single office in North Carolina, offer the EXACT SAME processing times, including for Expedited processing.

Right now the fastest you could receive your passport through any local passport office is up to 6 weeks PLUS 4 business days. (That’s paying extra for Expedited processing plus Express Mail both ways.)

If 6 weeks plus 4 business days is not fast enough for your travel plans, the only faster option is to get an appointment to go in person to a regional Passport Agency. (The closest agencies to us are in Washington, DC or Atlanta.) To pursue that option, including for life or death emergencies, please see the Department of State’s official webpage: travel.state.gov"

In my experience you need an account to use library internet, which requires you to get a library card, which requires ID and proof of address. Just my experience in using library internet, but it was definitely traceable.
Most of the libraries I’ve been to you can easily access the computers by just asking for a code at the front desk. To rent books, movies, games, etc you will need a library card which of course to get one you need proof of address and ID.

Most public libraries allow access to computers by non card holders. They will give you a temporary passcode, usually with a time limit on use. I have accessed the internet at public libraries where I don't have a card because I live elsewhere.

If evidence was found, the challenge would be linking the code to a specific user since the library will have no personally identifying info on record due to privacy laws. Library use records can be obtained by LE. However, once again due to privacy laws and a commitment to upholding them as promulgated by the American Library Association (backed by the U.S. Constitution), it is very unusual but not unprecedented to release any user information without a legal document demanding it.

Having obtained a master's in library science and work experience in county library systems, I am familiar with the usual privacy protections they have in place.
IMO
Thanks for this info! I have traveled and used library internet a ton, so my assumptions were based on this. I've always had to provide ID, but I've never tried to say I can't. I'm glad to learn something new every day :) Especially when it might come in handy on cases like this.

Yes. If he left the country using ID issued in his name, the FBI would know and wouldn't be spending massive amounts of money destroying the nature reserve.

I also don't think there are different rules for getting a US passport depending on the state. Passports are federally issued after all. So NY and FL don't have different rules from NC. From Passport Services | Office of Global Engagement | NC State University

"The entire country is experiencing a massive surge in urgent passport demand.

No need to keep calling local offices – all local passport offices across the country, including every single office in North Carolina, offer the EXACT SAME processing times, including for Expedited processing.

Right now the fastest you could receive your passport through any local passport office is up to 6 weeks PLUS 4 business days. (That’s paying extra for Expedited processing plus Express Mail both ways.)

If 6 weeks plus 4 business days is not fast enough for your travel plans, the only faster option is to get an appointment to go in person to a regional Passport Agency. (The closest agencies to us are in Washington, DC or Atlanta.) To pursue that option, including for life or death emergencies, please see the Department of State’s official webpage: travel.state.gov"

Yes, I agree with you.
I assume the FBI should know this info. But sometimes things aren't as logical as they should be.
The search in the Preserve may be for evidence NOT BL. But otherwise, I agree with you. The FBI should have access to that info.
I don't believe this is what he did he either already had one or crossed the border illegally.

Our public library doesn’t require you to sign on or anything. No library card or ID needed, you just pick an empty seat at the computer stations. I’m sure they aren’t all like that though. We actually used to have a sign in requirement but not anymore. The rational behind removing those requirements is that we have a large population of people who are unhoused, and this gives them access to a computer to apply for various resources and apply for jobs.

Mine has those public stations, too. No requirements at all.

To sign in with my laptop, though, I need to use my number

Question here: how did FBI get involved, why was this a federal case as soon as the Laundries filed the missing persons report? Gabby’s body was not yet found. No charges were filed against him. Or am I mistaking the timeline here?
Probably because the last time Gabby contacted her parents she was out west in the National Park system, camping on federal land. And BL drove her van all the way back to Florida crossing All those state lines. When you cross state lines, the FBI gets involved. That is why they get involved in kidnappings.

Also another point - last night before the thread closed someone was questioning whether Gabby and BL were camping in Teton National Park or just outside it, saying maybe she didn"t die on federal land after all. But my daughter thinks the place where they camped was BLM land - Bureau of Land Management. Still Federally-owned land, only less restricted than a National Park. Cattle can graze there, for instance.

Anyway, I think it's obvious the FBI believes she was killed on Federal Land, so there will be more Federal Charges, and not just from the states of Wyoming or Florida.

This is both wonderful and scary to hear.

Agreed on both feelings on the issue. I suspect they do have IT monitoring usage during open hours, and lots of stuff is blocked. Like no social media access is one part. But I think it’s been really helpful to remove barriers to access for our unhoused residents and also for immigrants just trying to land on their feet.

If your passport is stamped, it is also recorded. They would already know where he crossed the border and have video of him doing so. There is a database where you can look at your history of crossing borders using your us passport. You need a permit to enter Mexico. In Canada, I believe you need a passport, or nexus card and proof of citizenship from your county of origin.

I assume the FBI already checked this. That should have been one of the first things they looked at.
The reason I say should and assume, following other cases sometimes logical steps aren't taken in a timely fashion.

TikTok #gabbypetito now has 1B views

As TikTok is predominantly a platform for young people, it's incredible to see how many are following this case, and I hope learning about abusive relationships.
Amen! I hope that Gabby’s death is not in vain and that this horrific event can champion the message that “love should never hurt,” for a whole new generation of people. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member