Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not assuming his phone was insured (did someone else say that?) or that he got a new number. Just new phone =/= new account.

I remember people theorizing he may not have had full service, but I didn't see that confirmed (maybe it was and I missed it). Maybe if he upgraded they considered it a new account?

I know we had GP's carrier confirmed at some point, but did we ever find out BL's?

I didn't mean you said he had insurance. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But yes, several posts have said with AT&T insurance he could have had a phone mailed to him so why didn't he do that? I'm not sure he would have had insurance.

Some posts have questioned why he would get a new number. But when it really comes down to it, we know very little about the phone situation. We don't know what service he had before (did he have a number?), who paid for his service if it was a paid service vs an app and public WiFi, what happened to his old phone, when he got a new phone (4th or 14th?), or whether (as you hypothesize) "he got a new account" meant a new plan etc. So it's all iffy.

JMO

Where are all Gabby’s belongings. She lived in that house for 2 years, and where are all the things she would have had in the van.

Surely the FBI has asked his parents this.

Oh, that’s right ... the parents don’t speak to anyone.

You know what I find odd? No other social media accounts for Gabby or Brian other than the the two IG accounts, Gabby's fb and the Depop. Kids today are all about their social media and yet we see nothing about them from high school, or before they were together. I've looked and looked and found nothing. There's got to be some other social media out there.

It could be that they wipped their social media presence prior to starting their "influencer" venture. I know I'd do that (or at least try my best) before starting a career in social media.

“For instance, while working a case searching for a gun used in a homicide, I found just the barrel in the mud. But that was enough for the crime lab, which confirmed through ballistics that it came from the gun used in the shooting.”

Says Lundborg, “You never know what you’re going to find under the water. About 20 years ago, before my time, one of our divers found a bucket full of concrete which he thought was an anchor—but there was a head inside.”
What Lies Beneath: How to Set Up a Police Dive Unit

All criminal investigations and crime scene investigations work on the premise of Locard’s Theory: (Oversimplified), “. This can be summarized as, “An exchange takes place between the person and the object or environment when they come into contact with one another.”

For example, when a person stands on the shore and throws an object into the water, the person’s fingerprints, sweat, skin and even minute fragments of fabric, from their clothing may be found on the item. Additionally, the soil, water, and microscopic materials in the environment may attach the subject’s shoes, pant legs, clothing, and skin. As such, every item has the potential to contain smaller minute items of forensic interest. This can include items such as:
  • Fingerprints
  • Trace evidence
  • Tool marks
Evidence Recovery: What You Need to Know Solve the Crime - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

A gun isn’t sitting there on the sand for you to see it. It’s below the silt layers, and we have to get down there and search by feel. A lot of our waterways are contaminated and we have to wear special drysuits and full face masks. The idea is to not let the water touch you and definitely not to ingest it.

Evidence is always going to be hiding in the water. It surrounds us and it’s an easy dumping ground. You don’t have to dig a hole—you just flick your wrist. The people who put these items in the water never think that there are divers trained to go down there and find them. I’ve had murderers tell me, “You’ll never find it.” And then we do.

It’s about helping other people. I get to use my love for diving to solve someone’s problem—it could be an investigator looking for a murder weapon that was thrown off a bridge, or it could be a family that lost a loved one and won’t have closure until the body’s recovered.

The strangest thing I ever found was a wooden box duct-taped to a brick. In the box was a tiny bag with some candles and a male voodoo doll with a needle right in its groin. You don’t find that every day. I pulled out the needle and told everyone on the boat that somewhere a man was thanking me.
Coastal Job: Underwater Criminal Investigator | Hakai Magazine

Underwater evidence is difficult to see because most canal and lake bottoms in Broward County are a foot deep in soft, mud-brown silt. Even a careful diver inching along the muddy bottom stirs up clouds of swirling silt as he kicks his fins, making limited visibility even worse.

"That silt will hide a gun," said George Ferguson, a dive team instructor in charge of training.

"It's a matter of getting down into the mud and sweeping with your hands," said Sgt. Larry Whitford, the marine unit's chief diver. "It's a matter of feeling the bottom."
HIDDEN CLUES SHERIFF'S DIVERS FACE UNDERWATER MYSTERIES.

The phone isn't my issue. It's the NEW account. You don't have to open a new account to replace a lost phone.

What is the point of the new account? Especially if he just left the phone home?

He could have been on someone elses account and did not have the access number. Also not authorized or a different provider... Many reasons he may have opened a new account... new card better deals for a phone...

So does he know where BL has been like he stated previously? Or is he just searching random islands to find Monster cans? I wonder if those dogs know BL's scent.
Brain Entin just posted a call he had with Dog this morning and Dog basically said that 'these dogs don't need a scent from clothing to find a starting place they smell for humans and adrenaline' (paraphrasing here), and he said they had located one person who isn't BL. So I don't think so.

If the monster energy can that DTBH recently found on the island did indeed belong to BL, my how the mighty have fallen.
BL previously posted (according to previous threads) about the "infestation" of people in the parks and now he's a littering person of interest in the homicide of his girlfriend.
Can't stand people like that. We have National Parks to visit, you don't need to pass a worthiness test to go. They're more popular now because it's an outdoor experience in the era of covid. We've camped and RV'd with our kids for years, but never have I been upset to see more people at State or National Parks, it's a trend we should welcome. Of course, he shuns shoes and gets hydrated by eating melons so I don't put much stock in his opinions anyway.

My theory about his trip home:
“I had to leave her Mom, she went crazy just like she did that day the cops almost charged her. Smashed my phone, hit/scratched me (he may have had injuries if she had tried to defend herself) I don’t want anything to do with her or her crazy *advertiser censored* family, if they call ignore them, I’m done”
And then of course Mom and Dad would help him get a new phone, a new number, so she can’t keep calling him

the lawyer? I’m not sure, spur of the moment decision to hand the card over when they were put on the spot, not fully understanding the situation? Or could he have told them she was threatening to “take everything” ie the van, equipment etc and they thought it was about that?
I believe something darker came out later and they enabled him further, but I’ve seen this happen before, the abuser blames the victim, starts a smear campaign, usually blaming them for the things they themselves had done.
Maybe the parents were angry at GP thinking she had hurt their baby and they didn’t want anything else to do with “those people”

MOO

Seems plausible about his trip home except wasn't the van GP's?
How would he explain that GP 'went crazy' and that he doesn't want anything to do with her or her crazy family but that she was nice enough to let him return to Florida in her van?

I have been thinking about this too, and I'm guessing that the FBI probably has collected this info as they gather evidence - and as you say, have asked that it not be shared with MSM. It probably has followed the use of the ATM card, painting a by-the-hour picture of BL's journey back to FL. JMO.

Although, I swear that I read (on one of these threads) something about confirmation of the card's use at a particular gas station, but of course I can't remember the thread #, and can't find it via MSM, so MOO to the max.

As far as I can remember it was a convenience store at a gas station in Benton*, IL. Don't quote me on that. Saddly, I can't remember the thread #s either.

Edited to include the correct name for the city. Link to MSM is on page 7* of this thread.

True, but someone who has desires to be an "influencer" would probably already have sm is my thought. JMO

Good point. My DS is a senior in high school, he doesn't use the main stream SM like insta or FB, but he uses snapchat a lot and looks at TikTok. BUT, he was an aspiring "influencer" in middle school (rubiks cubes, football, and gaming) and when I google him I get plenty of old artifacts from that time period. Maybe it is because he's lazy and doesn't clean up after himself digitally, just like in real life, LOL. But how many people would go back and try to remove all of that old stuff rather than let it just die off?

And kind of related, aside from the no SM in earlier life, there's not a lot in general online. Again, I google my kid and I get sports stuff, scouts stuff, a mention in my grandfather's obit, class plays, just junk like that. Now it is nearly impossible to google BL without getting all of the current stuff, but I googled him right away when this hit the news and I just didn't see any of the usual life junk that most of us have out in internet-land.

MOO

It is the neighbor. I w I work from home as a programmer and that bullhorn guy would drive me insane. I'd be pretty darn angry. Does not affect the environment I raise my child in and mean I am a bad influence. Just means I cannot work with constant noise. This is not bullhorn guy's first go around, he is an obnoxious nuisance IMO.

Gen Z only uses snapchat and instagram as my daughter informed me. FB is dead to most of that generation I suppose

Don't forget TikTok that one is wildly popular right now too.
True, but someone who has desires to be an "influencer" would probably already have sm is my thought. JMO

In order to exist as an Influencer you'd need at least ONE sm account: YouTube, Twitter, TikTok at least...most have all of them.

If someone felt they were getting "harassed" by all the phone calls from GPs parents, could that be some of the 911 calls?

My theory about his trip home:
“I had to leave her Mom, she went crazy just like she did that day the cops almost charged her. Smashed my phone, hit/scratched me (he may have had injuries if she had tried to defend herself) I don’t want anything to do with her or her crazy *advertiser censored* family, if they call ignore them, I’m done”
And then of course Mom and Dad would help him get a new phone, a new number, so she can’t keep calling him

the lawyer? I’m not sure, spur of the moment decision to hand the card over when they were put on the spot, not fully understanding the situation? Or could he have told them she was threatening to “take everything” ie the van, equipment etc and they thought it was about that?
I believe something darker came out later and they enabled him further, but I’ve seen this happen before, the abuser blames the victim, starts a smear campaign, usually blaming them for the things they themselves had done.
Maybe the parents were angry at GP thinking she had hurt their baby and they didn’t want anything else to do with “those people”

MOO

“For instance, while working a case searching for a gun used in a homicide, I found just the barrel in the mud. But that was enough for the crime lab, which confirmed through ballistics that it came from the gun used in the shooting.”

Says Lundborg, “You never know what you’re going to find under the water. About 20 years ago, before my time, one of our divers found a bucket full of concrete which he thought was an anchor—but there was a head inside.”
What Lies Beneath: How to Set Up a Police Dive Unit

All criminal investigations and crime scene investigations work on the premise of Locard’s Theory: (Oversimplified), “. This can be summarized as, “An exchange takes place between the person and the object or environment when they come into contact with one another.”

For example, when a person stands on the shore and throws an object into the water, the person’s fingerprints, sweat, skin and even minute fragments of fabric, from their clothing may be found on the item. Additionally, the soil, water, and microscopic materials in the environment may attach the subject’s shoes, pant legs, clothing, and skin. As such, every item has the potential to contain smaller minute items of forensic interest. This can include items such as:
  • Fingerprints
  • Trace evidence
  • Tool marks
Evidence Recovery: What You Need to Know Solve the Crime - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

A gun isn’t sitting there on the sand for you to see it. It’s below the silt layers, and we have to get down there and search by feel. A lot of our waterways are contaminated and we have to wear special drysuits and full face masks. The idea is to not let the water touch you and definitely not to ingest it.

Evidence is always going to be hiding in the water. It surrounds us and it’s an easy dumping ground. You don’t have to dig a hole—you just flick your wrist. The people who put these items in the water never think that there are divers trained to go down there and find them. I’ve had murderers tell me, “You’ll never find it.” And then we do.

It’s about helping other people. I get to use my love for diving to solve someone’s problem—it could be an investigator looking for a murder weapon that was thrown off a bridge, or it could be a family that lost a loved one and won’t have closure until the body’s recovered.

The strangest thing I ever found was a wooden box duct-taped to a brick. In the box was a tiny bag with some candles and a male voodoo doll with a needle right in its groin. You don’t find that every day. I pulled out the needle and told everyone on the boat that somewhere a man was thanking me.
Coastal Job: Underwater Criminal Investigator | Hakai Magazine

Underwater evidence is difficult to see because most canal and lake bottoms in Broward County are a foot deep in soft, mud-brown silt. Even a careful diver inching along the muddy bottom stirs up clouds of swirling silt as he kicks his fins, making limited visibility even worse.

"That silt will hide a gun," said George Ferguson, a dive team instructor in charge of training.

"It's a matter of getting down into the mud and sweeping with your hands," said Sgt. Larry Whitford, the marine unit's chief diver. "It's a matter of feeling the bottom."
HIDDEN CLUES SHERIFF'S DIVERS FACE UNDERWATER MYSTERIES.

Looks like there are metal detectors that work under water: Underwater Metal Detectors – Reviewing the Best Options | MetalDetector.com

You know what I find odd? No other social media accounts for Gabby or Brian other than the the two IG accounts, Gabby's fb and the Depop. Kids today are all about their social media and yet we see nothing about them from high school, or before they were together. I've looked and looked and found nothing. There's got to be some other social media out there.
My Gen-Z daughter has informed me that FB and Twitter are "for Boomers and Gen X. Gen-Z use Snapchat and TikTok." Okay then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member