Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm going to be cursed for this. I see this as anger that went to far. We don't know what happened to these two kids. Yes he killed her why? We don't have the answer. But I don't think it was intentional. I see it as he got angry and went to far. That's why he killed himself. We don't know if it's because he was being a coward or not wanting to face what he did. But no matter what his debt is paid. He was judged tried and ready for execution before anyone knew the truth. Those kids loved each other and we only saw the video of them being pulled over and the phone call a guy made about him hitting her. I believe they we're both guilty of putting their hands on the other. Is that right? No definitely toxic. But this couldn't have been the first time. I see young people like this quite often but they continue to love each other. Immaturity. No he didn't handle it the way we all think he should have. But we are also not them. Let these two kids rest. Obviously they thought they loved each other.
I disagree. Violence isn't love, and even if he didn't premeditate it, it's still manslaughter at minimum. He had no right to take her life.

I’m personally satisfied with the case being concluded. I’m obviously not satisfied with the outcome or steps taken along the way, but I think the investigation seems pretty conclusive. BL admitted responsibility for her death, they looked into the text messages, a gun was found near BL, no other people seem to be involved, etc. Its still horrible but I’m glad GP’s family can receive this much information about what happened to their daughter. I hope many people can learn from this in the future and someone’s life may be saved.

ETA: I’m not sure I agree that Gabby is who should have been detained. I think LE is missing subtleties of DV but separating them and forcing someone to pick Gabby up, while embarrassing, could have been life saving so I understand.

Why? He's just doing his job - surely you can understand that. If he had issued a statement not mentioning Gabby, then I guess that would have been wrong also?
He keeps equating the two as equal victims, which comes off as tone-deaf, and also just incorrect. Not mentioning her at all would be ill-advised. JMO.

He keeps equating the two as equal victims, which comes off as tone-deaf, and also just incorrect. Not mentioning her at all would be ill-advised. JMO.
IMO you're overthinking it. The way it is written, IMO indicates that the L's issued this through their attorney.

I am glad the investigation is over, I hope both families find peace.

I know I'm going to be cursed for this. I see this as anger that went to far. We don't know what happened to these two kids. Yes he killed her why? We don't have the answer. But I don't think it was intentional. I see it as he got angry and went to far. That's why he killed himself. We don't know if it's because he was being a coward or not wanting to face what he did. But no matter what his debt is paid. He was judged tried and ready for execution before anyone knew the truth. Those kids loved each other and we only saw the video of them being pulled over and the phone call a guy made about him hitting her. I believe they we're both guilty of putting their hands on the other. Is that right? No definitely toxic. But this couldn't have been the first time. I see young people like this quite often but they continue to love each other. Immaturity. No he didn't handle it the way we all think he should have. But we are also not them. Let these two kids rest. Obviously they thought they loved each other.
no. It 100% was intentional, as we've gone over and over in these threads, Manual strangulation is 1st degree intentional homicide, because it takes a long time and the person can decide to stop. Also

A coroner concluded that Petito, 22, died of "blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation."

That is a violent murder. Brian violently murdered Gabby, then tried to cover it up. I give him no grace. Her defending herself from him is not her abusing him. She was murdered, and Brian murdered her.

I’m personally satisfied with the case being concluded. I’m obviously not satisfied with the outcome or steps taken along the way, but I think the investigation seems pretty conclusive. BL admitted responsibility for her death, they looked into the text messages, a gun was found near BL, no other people seem to be involved, etc. Its still horrible but I’m glad GP’s family can receive this much information about what happened to their daughter. I hope many people can learn from this in the future and someone’s life may be saved.

ETA: I’m not sure I agree that Gabby is who should have been detained. I think LE is missing subtleties of DV but separating them and forcing someone to pick Gabby up, while embarrassing, could have been life saving so I understand.

BBM - Yes, I agree. Didn't LE think Gabby was on the phone to her mother? Perhaps LE made assumptions as to this call and other issues also.

Brian Entin @BrianEntin 11m
Statement from Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino regarding FBI closing the case:

This statement, imo, was written more for the families of GP and BL. While GP was the ultimate victim, BL died, as well, so the families are the ones left to deal with this pain. How so many here can dismiss the L family because of what their son did is very discouraging to me. At this point in time, the Ls are not charged with anything, they might not have even known what occurred, and while they maybe didn't handle things appropriately from our perspective, their lives were destroyed, as well. If the P families want to pursue civil charges against the Ls, it will likely be based on much more information than what we have, so until then, I'm not going to perpetuate the hate towards the Ls. Brian is responsible for this tragedy. Nobody else.

I am glad the investigation is complete and I hope Gabby's family can find some closure. I had been of the mind to give the benefit of the doubt until all the evidence we were going to see was in - perhaps it was accidental or unintentional, he panicked afterwards, etc. The fact that Brian had the presence of mind to fake text messages in order to throw off the police proves to me that that was not the case. I am glad he at least admitted that he killed her in the end.

I am glad the investigation is complete and I hope Gabby's family can find some closure. I had been of the mind to give the benefit of the doubt until all the evidence we were going to see was in - perhaps it was accidental or unintentional, he panicked afterwards, etc. The fact that Brian had the presence of mind to fake text messages in order to throw off the police proves to me that that was not the case. I am glad he at least admitted that he killed her in the end.
Yes, and I noted that in the FBI's timeline, the fake texting part is listed second, after the Aug 30-Sept 1 drive back. While that doesn't discount that BL was texting during the trip, the fact that it is listed second tells me it carried on after Sept. 1. But I also wonder if being listed second means no fake texting occurred before Aug. 30. Jmo.

Last edited:
BBM - but it was, was it not, or am I musunderstanding your post?
I dropped out for several threads in part because of the continued support that I saw for Brian/ his parents in this case. To me it was clear right away that he was abusing her, and that it was going to turn out to be murder-suicide, not "some other hiker killed her while Brian was away from the campsite" type theories that were proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MamaGillPickle