Found Deceased TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

[modsnip] Some people (myself included) are in constant physical pain, and just cannot cope with it any longer, when there seems to be no relief. Mental pain is equally horrible, if it never lets you alone. We have no idea what was in Leann's mind, but she must have been in great pain.

Jumping off your post, if we as a society are ever to take mental illness seriously, we cannot act like it is supposed to make sense or not offend. We can't act as if it is a logical and selfish decision. (And we must stop with the mocking of celebs when they go through it.)

Sorry to ramble right here! I'm still ruffled by Trino's use of the word 'elderly' *lol* and I'm angry with LB for doing this and I'm sad for her family and tormented at the thought of Josh forever wishing he'd gone after her.

We don't know what she was thinking or feeling and I think that was very intentional...that we weren't allowed to know. I'm so sad she is not on this earth. I wish I'd never heard of her because they went on to Denver and lived a lovely life.

I'm so sad. I'm so so sad.

[modsnip]

Having suffered from bouts of both situational depression and clinical (non-situational depression) in my lifetime, I can tell you that unless you've experienced clinical depression (for which there's no "reason" for you to be depressed....which actually can make you more depressed because you feel ashamed about it), you probably would not be able to understand the level of despair and irrational thinking--the emphasis being on the irrational thinking. I've never attempted suicide, but I've been depressed enough to absolutely understand how people could get there.

Having suffered from bouts of both situational depression and clinical (non-situational depression) in my lifetime, I can tell you that unless you've experienced clinical depression (for which there's no "reason" for you to be depressed....which actually can make you more depressed because you feel ashamed about it), you probably would not be able to understand the level of despair and irrational thinking--the emphasis being on the irrational thinking. I've never attempted suicide, but I've been depressed enough to absolutely understand how people could get there.

You said it all.

[modsnip] Some people (myself included) are in constant physical pain, and just cannot cope with it any longer, when there seems to be no relief. Mental pain is equally horrible, if it never lets you alone. We have no idea what was in Leann's mind, but she must have been in great pain.

I have said, out loud, so many times that I don't know how people with chronic pain deal with it. I can't even imagine the day in and day out :(. I'm sorry for what you go through. I complain about having to take Advil every other day for shoulder pain....shame on me.

This family has had the extra burden of having put all their privates lives online and taking all kinds of hits about their love and intentions for Leanne just to be slammed in the end in trying to reach out to her. I hope the family knows they have set the bar for trying to find/help a missing loved one.
This family is going to go through all stages of grief-we need to keep them in our prayers.

Thank you for sharing your Leanne with us-she has enriched our lives.

I mean no disrespect and do not know where you live, but my oldest daughters live in a house in Converse and the temps given were the actual readings on those days in San Antonio proper. Texas has this weird way of going below 40 and within an hour being over 60 (Not forecasts but recorded temps). In ATX it was 28 one morning and 70 that afternoon. We wore coats i the morning and shorts that afternoon to ride bikes. They closed the schools due to fear of freezing rain only to give the kids a 70 degree holiday. There is a saying that in Tx, if you don't like the weather, wait a few hours and it will change.

I live in Houston, 2.5 hours east of GR. The weather here was really weird and not the "normal" winter we usually get.

I believe the day after or the following we had a cold snap that was below freezing and did not get above freezing for days. We had roads and highways shut down (a bit dramatic for what we actually had, but regardless). The temp was under 50 for a long time with only a day or 2 with a bit of a warm up.

Converse is closer to GR than I am for sure, but those few weeks after she went missing were bitterly cold, with only a warm up there and here.

I can see her not being found sooner seeing as tho the owners are an elderly couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only theory that made sense to me from early on was a mental hiccup. Suicide was not what I pictured.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/14/us/texas-missing-woman/

"Authorities closed the case Friday on Leanne Hecht Bearden, the once intrepid world traveler who was found dead a day earlier, after having apparently killed herself, according to police."

"According to Garden Ridge, Texas, Police Chief Donna O'Conner, "Preliminary autopsy results indicate asphyxiation by hanging."

:seeya: Thank You for posting this link and statement.

BBM: So this statement by the Police Chief states "asphyxiation by hanging" -- but it does NOT state "suicide."

Is there a link with an official statement from the Chief or the Medical Examiner that states the Manner of Death is "suicide" ?

Maybe I missed the article on this ?

Thanks !

ETA: I find this and should have read further ... sorry, watching the Olympics !

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/14/us/texas-missing-woman/

The apparent manner of death is suicide, she added, though a final ruling won't be released until toxicology results are in.

The word "apparent" sticks out IMO -- and -- they are doing toxicology tests ... so as it states, it is not yet final.

:twocents:

I really hope she left a note for her husband, parents, and the rest of her family and friends to help them at least try to make some sense of this tragedy. And that NONE of them place any blame on themselves.

I wonder if she might've taken Mefloquine during her trip. Apparently it can cause depression, suicidal ideations and other psychiatric problems. It's used for the treatment and prevention of malaria.

"Psychiatric side effects can include anxiety, feelings of mistrust towards others (paranoia), seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations), depression, restlessness, confusion, and behavior that is unusual. These psychiatric problems may last for years after the patient stops taking the drug."

Just a thought.

I wonder if she might've taken Mefloquine during her trip. Apparently it can cause depression, suicidal ideations and other psychiatric problems. It's used for the treatment and prevention of malaria.

"Psychiatric side effects can include anxiety, feelings of mistrust towards others (paranoia), seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations), depression, restlessness, confusion, and behavior that is unusual. These psychiatric problems may last for years after the patient stops taking the drug."

Just a thought.

This has been widely discussed and comment on in other news articles. I'd say definitely worth looking into, especially if there was no history before the trip.

I didn't mean to offend. I understand chronic physical debilitating pain since I live with that everyday and it has greatly altered my life. Some days are better than others, but every day is challenging. After going through severe depression I would rather find the simple enjoyments in everyday life that I can do, rather than dwelling on what I no longer can do. Life is ever changing and ever challenging, but I will take it as it comes. There are many people that have so much less or have terminal diseases and will never see the things that I can or do what I can. That is a blessing and a gift I don't take for granted.

I think we need to remember that when someone ends their own life, they often feel that their loved ones will be better off without them. They don't think there will be an end to their pain and don't want to be a burden to others. In that sense, they see suicide as relieving their loved ones of a burden.

I totally get that. I'm not suicidal by any means. But I'm 68, have chronic pain and struggle with depression, even though my health is good. My husband is 69 and much more active than I am or want to be. And by the way, neither one of us is "elderly"! Humph! Sometimes I feel like I'm holding him back (that's in my own head), and that he could have a better life if he didn't have to deal with my limitations. But we have been married 47 years and he constantly reassures me that he loves me just the way I am and couldn't live without me. I tell him the same thing. :)

But some couples aren't there yet. I know we weren't when we were younger. It takes time to build that kind of relationship. IF Leanne was deeply depressed, I can imagine her perfectionist self feeling that Josh wouldn't be able to handle it and that she was ruining their lives. I'm sure he would have done his best to reassure her and help her if he'd known. But his best might not have been enough. It's really hard for a spouse to discern the right thing to do.

This is all speculation, just to help people understand Leanne's possible state of mind. Someone wise once said "Empathy is feeling your pain in my heart." We can all have empathy for Leanne and Josh and their families.

JMO, MOO, etc

The only theory that made sense to me from early on was a mental hiccup. Suicide was not what I pictured.

:seeya:

BBM: Me either ... that possibility was not on my "radar" ...

Leanne looked so happy in all her photos and the photos from the travel blog ... and she was talented, outgoing and intelligent !

It's just incomprehensible, IMO.

:rose: May she RIP :rose:

:twocents:

Just a thought.

Several people have mentioned this and it certainly makes sense. More sense than what we currently know at least. They are doing a toxicology report which when it is completed,I hope we will be privy to the results.

I didn't mean to offend. I understand chronic physical debilitating pain since I live with that everyday and it has greatly altered my life. Some days are better than others, but every day is challenging. After going through severe depression I would rather find the simple enjoyments in everyday life that I can do, rather than dwelling on what I no longer can do. Life is ever changing and ever challenging, but I will take it as it comes. There are many people that have so much less or have terminal diseases and will never see the things that I can or do what I can. That is a blessing and a gift I don't take for granted.

BBM....people in really severe depression just don't have the capability to do this :(. When I went through clinical depression, it was absolutely worse than when I went through situation depression (which was, by the way, for very understandable reasons). I remember standing at my bedroom window, overlooking the beautiful neighborhood in which my husband I had just built a brand new home, and crying for literally six hours straight, and not understanding why at all, since I had everything I'd ever wanted. That only made me feel worse, ungrateful, confused, angry at myself. It's a really awful feeling :(. Especially the self loathing at your "ungratefulness" when your brain knows how many blessings you actually have.

Depression from pain is very real, don't get me wrong, and I can see how that can ALSO push someone to do unimaginable things. I'm just saying there is a difference since at least a "reason" can be assigned to it. The times I've dealt with depression from situations (i.e. infidelity, divorce, sudden death of a family member) has just been a lot "easier" to deal with since the guilt factor is not there. It is easier to understand.

Just my opinion!!

Just a thought.

Several people have mentioned this and it certainly makes sense. More sense than what we currently know at least. They are doing a toxicology report which when it is completed ,I hope we will be privy to the results. If this could have been a factor, it would be very important for the family to share and make the public aware of the dangers.

Just a thought.

I hope this gets looked at. But I wonder if she wouldn't already have started experiencing these symptoms earlier on their trip. How could she have kept up that pace and published their blog while feeling depressed, etc?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back