Found Deceased TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

The Urge to End It All
“There is but one truly serious philosophical problem,” Albert Camus wrote, “and that is suicide.” How to explain why, among the only species capable of pondering its own demise, whose desperate attempts to forestall mortality have spawned both armies and branches of medicine in a perpetual search for the Fountain of Youth, there are those who, by their own hand, would choose death over life?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/magazine/06suicide-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I really hope she left a note for her husband, parents, and the rest of her family and friends to help them at least try to make some sense of this tragedy. And that NONE of them place any blame on themselves.

I hope she did too, however I don't think it would be easier to understand unless there were clear signs leading up to it.

If I were ever to go this route...(hoping not), it would probably be because my body had gotten to the point where I would start needing help with everything. That would be very difficult for me to imagine, as I am in my forties...as it is, I am limited in everything, butI can dress and shower, etc. Thirty or so more years sometimes seems unbearable as it is. I would probably convince myself I was kind of doing everyone a favor

Anyway...everyone has a "private" self that no one knows...no matter how well they think they know a person. Not your children, your spouse, your best friend, can you really know. I am sure Leanne's husband are feeling every horrible emotion possible now...but IMO, there is just no way to predict suicide, in most cases.

Still wondering about her family stating she was "extremely vulnerable" early on.

I hope this gets looked at. But I wonder if she wouldn't already have started experiencing these symptoms earlier on their trip. How could she have kept up that pace and published their blog while feeling depressed, etc?

But if this had nothing to do with it (and I have no idea, since I don't know where they traveled or anything about their health precautions), perhaps traveling was her "drug" to help deal with depression?

I admit, I don't know a lot about their trip....how were they paying for all of this? Was it something they saved for years for? I just can't imagine being able to pay for two full years of traveling, but then I'm a pretty average person :). What did they do before they traveled? Did she hate the 9-5 grind and was more of a free spirit who struggled with being kept to a schedule?

If I were ever to go this route...(hoping not), it would probably be because my body had gotten to the point where I would start needing help with everything. That would be very difficult for me to imagine, as I am in my forties...as it is, I am limited in everything, butI can dress and shower, etc. Thirty or so more years sometimes seems unbearable as it is. I would probably convince myself I was kind of doing everyone a favor

Anyway...everyone has a "private" self that no one knows...no matter how well they think they know a person. Not your children, your spouse, your best friend, can you really know. I am sure Leanne's husband are feeling every horrible emotion possible now...but IMO, there is just no way to predict suicide, in most cases.

Still wondering about her family stating she was "extremely vulnerable" early on.

I thought they kinda explained that way by saying how little she was (she was pretty tiny, about the size of my 7th grader!), but perhaps that was a way of being vague about what they really meant??

Also, I do not think we know for sure that her family is disputing the manner of death. I doubt LE had to announce it so soon-no one really expected to hear today-so maybe the family was consulted and they preferred to get the announcement over with. I believe they (LE) could have held off, if the family requested. JMO

I keep seeing the photo (at the above link) of a LE / person in the front yard. It appears he's looking at something on the ground at his feet or he's digging up something. It could be anything... a tarp, etc.

It even looks like it could be a body, however I'm sure they immediately covered her and put her on a stretcher at the sight, after removing her from the tree.

Does anyone else see this and what is your opinion of what it is?

TIA

I thought they kinda explained that way by saying how little she was (she was pretty tiny, about the size of my 7th grader!), but perhaps that was a way of being vague about what they really meant??

In the same statement, they said they were uncertain about her physical or mental health. So it did sound like maybe they felt something was wrong.

Also, I do not think we know for sure that her family is disputing the manner of death. I doubt LE had to announce it so soon-no one really expected to hear today-so maybe the family was consulted and they preferred to get the announcement over with. I believe they (LE) could have held off, if the family requested. JMO

I agree. I don't think Leanne's family is disputing her manner of death. If they are, we will hear soon enough, but they don't appear to be disputing it or disagreeing with the Chief's statements.

I think fingerprints can be taken from a rope. Seems like they be taken from most anything now. But JMO.

But will they? Seems that some minds were made up. JMO And I wonder how that will affect the investigation.

I thought only one person ever said this.
I am new to this forum, so I want to be careful and not hurt anyone. But I, like many others, have been following this closely and am heartbroken. Perhaps it is denial, or maybe poor reporting by media, but there just seemed to be so many strange inconsistencies with this story. Enough that I am having a hard time believing suicide.

Is that crazy? Does anyone else feel this way?

Is there any way someone could have killed her and made it look like a suicide/

In the same statement, they said they were uncertain about her physical or mental health. So it did sound like maybe they felt something was wrong.

“There is but one truly serious philosophical problem,” Albert Camus wrote, “and that is suicide.” How to explain why, among the only species capable of pondering its own demise, whose desperate attempts to forestall mortality have spawned both armies and branches of medicine in a perpetual search for the Fountain of Youth, there are those who, by their own hand, would choose death over life?
Ah, Camus's take on to be or not to be, published in his 'The Myth of Sisyphus,' the tale of a man whose work daily forever required rolling a stone up a steep hill, only at the end of the day to see it crash back down. The story is a myth in one sense -- it is mythic -- and Camus made it a myth in another: this was not a tale of punishment by the gods -- it was a description of what we, daily, do in our lives: to strive to make the stone stay there, yet for each of us, and everyday, it rolls away. Camus saw that not as a punishment but as life itself.

One adjusts, or one doesn't. To be or not to be.

Thank you for this great article. One particular point jumped out at me that may apply to Leanne. It seems possible that this was a very impulsive act in the midst of great pain. Sigh. Wow this hurts. :(

BBM

This tendency toward impulsivity is especially common among young people — and not only with gun suicides. In a 2001 University of Houston study of 153 survivors of nearly lethal attempts between the ages of 13 and 34, only 13 percent reported having contemplated their act for eight hours or longer. To the contrary, 70 percent set the interval between deciding to kill themselves and acting at less than an hour, including an astonishing 24 percent who pegged the interval at less than five minutes.

“What was immediately apparent,” Rosen recounted, “was that none of them had truly wanted to die. They had wanted their inner pain to stop; they wanted some measure of relief; and this was the only answer they could find. They were in spiritual agony, and they sought a physical solution.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/magazine/06suicide-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Psychiatrist: I hate suicide but also understand it

But as much as I hate suicide, I also understand it. One of the things people have repeatedly posted in comments responding to Scott's death is that you can't weigh in on why someone might commit suicide unless you've really had your life torn apart by an episode of major depression.

I agree.

Severe major depression is probably the most unbearable pain a human being can withstand for any protracted period of time. Many people who died of cancer have written eloquently about how the crushing pain from their tumors paled in comparison to the pain they felt when depressed.

With all other pain, most people can maintain some sense of separation between themselves and the pain. As horrible as it is, the pain is in their arm, or leg, or belly or head. But there is still a "them" that is separate from the misery.

Depression is different. Because it is at its essence a perceptual disorder, it causes one to see the entire world as pain. It feels painful inside, but it also feels painful outside.
When a person is depressed, the entire world is disturbed and distressed, so there is nowhere to escape. And it is this fact that makes suicide so seductive, because it seems to offer the one available escape option.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/health/raison-suicide-tony-scott/

I hope this gets looked at. But I wonder if she wouldn't already have started experiencing these symptoms earlier on their trip. How could she have kept up that pace and published their blog while feeling depressed, etc?

She could have kept up the pace of travelling even if she was depressed. There are varying degrees of symptoms and they affect people on an individual basis.

It is also possible that she could become depressed because of having to return to a regular lifestyle and all the unappealing responsibilities. Reality isn't always fun.

I thought only one person ever said this.
I am new to this forum, so I want to be careful and not hurt anyone. But I, like many others, have been following this closely and am heartbroken. Perhaps it is denial, or maybe poor reporting by media, but there just seemed to be so many strange inconsistencies with this story. Enough that I am having a hard time believing suicide.

Is that crazy? Does anyone else feel this way?

Is there any way someone could have killed her and made it look like a suicide/

Welcome! No, it's not crazy. Staged suicides do happen. A number of us tossed this idea around a lot last night, trying to cover all the bases. I wouldn't want to see someone get away with murder, so I have to hope that the investigation was conducted as if it was homicide, as it should be. Assume nothing.

But the speed of the autopsy and announcement of suicide tells me that there must have been evidence of her intentions early on. I think the family's plea to Leanne and following up on sightings probably came from their hope to reach her before she did it.

I also think that if it was a staged suicide, it wouldn't have been done by a stranger. Why go to all that trouble? But, anything is possible. I just don't want to go in that direction now.

I really can imagine that Leanne may not have been happy with the prospect of "settling down" after their exciting world travels. I do wonder if she voiced her concerns to Josh and/or her family.

Then again, reading about the side-effects of the drugs she may have taken for their travels.....it seems quite possible there was a connection to her decision to end her life.

What a tragic situation. I can only hope Leanne will RIP and my heart goes out to those left behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back