GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The military can restrict him to base , restrict him to his home, even confine him to a room in the barracks for something as simple as being late to report to duty "x" amount of times in a month. He belongs to the military.

So hypothetically ... would the POI (married marine) have an attorney at this point? If so, would the attorney be civilian or military, and what court would have jurisdiction if an arrest were made? If convicted would he go to state, fed or military prison?

Just curious how all this works .

The husband is not restricted to base, this tells me he has been cleared as a suspect and person of interest. IMO, if there were any suspicions of the husband, he would be restricted to base, probably confined to quarters. Military LE /NCIS do not need a reason to restrict the husband's movements. He belongs to the military . I know of military members who have been confined to quarters for being late for duty twice in one week. Even if the Sheriff Dept is taking the lead on this, I am certain Military LE are confident Jon is not involved in Erin's disappearance.

Just placing this here...
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2014/07/11/erin-corwin-jonathan-corwin/12557135/
"Cpl. Corwin is not restricted to the base and has been placed on 'Permissive Temporary Additional Duty,' base spokesman Capt. Justin Smith said. "PTAD orders are issued to military personnel for official time off. The time away from duty is not charged against the military personnel's leave balance."

I just saw this thread.
Prayers for Erin and her baby.
I hope she is found soon.

The military can restrict him to base , restrict him to his home, even confine him to a room in the barracks for something as simple as being late to report to duty "x" amount of times in a month. He belongs to the military.

Right, but say if he was involved, but there is nothing to charge him as of now,(no proof yet) so he is not a suspect as of this moment, so why would they confine him yet, when they might not know yet?
Does that make sense?
IMOO.

You mentioned "likely on Saturday." Why Saturday in particular?
I mean it's fine if it was Saturday, but why most likely Saturday? Was her husband working then, so it was better to go when she could go alone?
Or if he wasn't working, she wanted to go alone?
It seems like it has only been stated by her husband in the media about 7am Saturday, not her family stating they knew she was going there 7am Saturday.
IMOO.

Well, she was talking to her Mom on Friday, and I thought it may have been said they spoke daily. Could be wrong.

IF the story is true about the affair, it is probably also correct about the other man giving conflicting stories, IMO. If that is the case...he is the POI, not Erin's husband. I do believe LE has one. Jmo

So hypothetically ... would the POI (married marine) have an attorney at this point? If so, would the attorney be civilian or military, and what court would have jurisdiction if an arrest were made? If convicted would he go to state, fed or military prison?

Just curious how all this works .

Jurisdiction would depend on where the actual crime occurred. For instance, if a murder happens on base then the military retains jurisdiction. If it happens in a park, beach, etc., anywhere off base, then civilian LE would retain jurisdiction. In the case where the military would retain jurisdiction it would be up to the accused on whether or not they want a military or civilian attorney. If the crime occurred off base then the accused would have to retain a civilian attorney. As far as prison is concerned, again, depends on where the crime occurs.

I wonder if she was having an affair, if she would have been facebook friends with them. She has only 2 male friends that are Marines and live in Twentynine Palms

IF the story is true about the affair, it is probably also correct about the other man giving conflicting stories, IMO. If that is the case...he is the POI, not Erin's husband. I do believe LE has one. Jmo

Well, I wonder if that person then is confined to quarters now or they don't have enough proof yet?
Maybe they are waiting until they find Erin's body, if she is deceased, then proceed?
IMOO.

I know it is incredibly unlikely, but I don't totally discount the idea that she is alive, went missing on her own, with the thought that the (alleged) other man would join her at some point. It is something a 19-year-old would be more likely to do than a 35-year-old.

Right, but say if he was involved, but there is nothing to charge him as of now,(no proof yet) so he is not a suspect as of this moment, so why would they confine him yet, when they might not know yet?
Does that make sense?
IMOO.

He does not need to be suspected of a crime to be confined to base. If Military LE felt there was a possibility he was involved or he could go AWOL or there could be a media circus if he was seen off base , they could confine him to base. They could place him on temporary leave and relieve him of duty to protect the morale of the unit he works with. They don't have to have a reason..he belongs to them.

Because the Sheriff's Dept is running this investigation , for the Military spokesperson to make a statement to MSM that Jon is not restricted to base, IMO is as close as they could come to stating Jon is not a suspect.

This is a tragic story. Erin is still a teen-ager, and has already been married for 18 months, suffered a miscarriage, and then became pregnant soon after. That's a lot on someone's shoulders. She should be enjoying her youth unencumbered instead of being tied down. The fact she may have been seeing a married man on the side (sans birth control?) indicates all may not have been right in the marriage (and she was perhaps lonely?). So many people have been hurt and the fact Erin has been missing almost two weeks, does not bode well for a happy resolution.

This just breaks my heart.

Erin is/was legally an adult. Soldiers dying for their country at that same age although numerically teenagers, would certainly consider themselves men in every sense of the word - as would I. My own mother had me by that age and was managing her own household. Erin could have been enjoying her youth "unencumbered" as you say, but saying she should have been is going a bit far. In researching my family tree, 19 year olds were often well-established in their households, with multiple children. I find it puzzling that, today, people are so quick to consider a 19 year old as more or less a child.

Don't get me wrong. I certainly hope she is found and, if her death was not accidental, I fervently hope the killer is brought to justice. I just think we should pay Erin the respect of considering her as the adult she was.

I definitely consider her an adult, too. I do think that we have to consider her lack of adult life experience when considering what might have happened.

Jurisdiction would depend on where the actual crime occurred. For instance, if a murder happens on base then the military retains jurisdiction. If it happens in a park, beach, etc., anywhere off base, then civilian LE would retain jurisdiction. In the case where the military would retain jurisdiction it would be up to the accused on whether or not they want a military or civilian attorney. If the crime occurred off base then the accused would have to retain a civilian attorney. As far as prison is concerned, again, depends on where the crime occurs.

Am curious, if the crime occurred on federal property , like a National Park, would that make a difference between Military or Civilian prosecution and State or Federal prison ?

I wonder if she was having an affair, if she would have been facebook friends with them. She has only 2 male friends that are Marines and live in Twentynine Palms

I wouldn't be FB friends if I was having a secret affair. Those 2 Marines are probably in the clear, imo.

Am curious, if the crime occurred on federal property , like a National Park, would that make a difference between Military or Civilian prosecution and State or Federal prison ?

Anything that happens off base would be considered civilian.

Erin is/was legally an adult. Soldiers dying for their country at that same age although numerically teenagers, would certainly consider themselves men in every sense of the word - as would I. My own mother had me by that age and was managing her own household. Erin could have been enjoying her youth "unencumbered" as you say, but saying she should have been is going a bit far. In researching my family tree, 19 year olds were often well-established in their households, with multiple children. I find it puzzling that, today, people are so quick to consider a 19 year old as more or less a child.

Don't get me wrong. I certainly hope she is found and, if her death was not accidental, I fervently hope the killer is brought to justice. I just think we should pay Erin the respect of considering her as the adult she was.

BBM....

The reason that 19 is considered a teenager today is because they are actually still immature. Doctors and psychologists have now studied human development intensely and have discovered a lot about how long it takes for the brain to reach adulthood. We know better now because we understand the human brain much better due to all the research that scientists have done.

A human being undergoes a huge growth spurt during the teen years and much of it is going on inside crucial areas of the brain, such as the areas for making good decisions and impulse control. A person is not an adult developmentally until he/she has reached the early 20's. A 19 year old is not actually capable of making consistently adult decisions all of the time like someone who is 25. A 19 old year old will still make poor teenage choices or take a risk that a 25 year old would not.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-teen-brain-still-under-construction/index.shtml

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/teenage-brain1.htm

The husband is not restricted to base, this tells me he has been cleared as a suspect and person of interest. IMO, if there were any suspicions of the husband, he would be restricted to base, probably confined to quarters. Military LE /NCIS do not need a reason to restrict the husband's movements. He belongs to the military . I know of military members who have been confined to quarters for being late for duty twice in one week. Even if the Sheriff Dept is taking the lead on this, I am certain Military LE are confident Jon is not involved in Erin's disappearance.

What law enforcement or the military does about Jon at this point is not material to the search for her. Since they have insufficient reason to do the things you suggest unless they find her body it's a catch 22. Moreover, the fact they are not allowing him to publicly plead for her safe return would indicate that they have not in-fact cleared him of any wrong-doing. [modsnip]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member