MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I commented on this yesterday :)

The GJ hears the prosecutors case to determine if there is probable cause for an indictment. wilson is the defendant in this case. He will be the one prosecuted if the case moves forward. He may be offered the opportunity to provide testimony in his defense. I'm not exactly sure if that is a given. No other "defense" is presented.

Thanks betty. Does that mean the 12 witnesses that supposedly support the police officer won't be presented, nor evidence of the assault or the prior robbery? Surely that can't be the case, but all of that evidence is more in line with a "defense", not a prosecution of charges. If that's what we're saying, there is no way he isn't indicted if the prosecuting attorney does his job. Some may feel that, given all the evidence, that the cop was justified, but from what we're saying, that isn't even the question. The question of justification only comes later at trial/motions after charges are brought.

I just don't know how I feel about that.

Wasn't there a link yesterday that the request was denied. Or is he trying again?

Hiya, bettybaby00 !

Allow me to just give an informed opinion. CCJ cannot be intimidated. He is young, resourceful with many well-placed connections. If there is a way, he will find it.

Twitter two hours ago:
Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson

Today I retained Missouri counsel to file a FOIA challenge to get #MichaelBrown's juvenile criminal record. #Ferguson.

Twitter moments ago:
Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson

I had two law enforcement contacts who told me #MichaelBrown had juvenile criminal record. I will be suing to get the answer. #Ferguson

moo and all that jazz

If I'm reading that right, it is not the prosecuting attorney's job to put on the witnesses/evidence that support the cop's version. If I'm reading that right, it is the prosecuting attorney's job to put evidence in front of the GJ that support charges, not evidence of a defense to the charges because technically there is no defense until it has been raised by the defendant which can't happen until there are charges in the first place.

I read something about Grand Jury proceedings earlier, from my understanding the Prosecutor puts ALL of the evidence collected so far (both good and bad) in front of the Jury. While the defendant does not have a right to be there witnesses ARE called and in this case since Officer Wilson was certainly one of the best witnesses he will probably be called.

I expect we all might ask the same question if we were in her shoes?

No, I wouldn't. I choose to live in reality. Even if it means I face really ugly truths about my kids or myself.

Not facing the reality of a situation does not serve my children at all and, for me, living a lie is as good as saying I don't love them.

my husband had this injury. we are talking plates and pins to rebuild his eye socket.

Not always, my son did too, didn't require any. IMO

It's certainly without a doubt a very painful injury...lots and lots of swelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks betty. Does that mean the 12 witnesses that supposedly support the police officer won't be presented, nor evidence of the assault or the prior robbery? Surely that can't be the case, but all of that evidence is more in line with a "defense", not a prosecution of charges. If that's what we're saying, there is no way he isn't indicted if the prosecuting attorney does his job. Some may feel that, given all the evidence, that the cop was justified, but from what we're saying, that isn't even the question. The question of justification only comes later at trial/motions after charges are brought.

Are you saying that if there is no indictment, the prosecutor is not doing his job?

So if you make a cop mad it's OK for him to shoot you?

IS that what you think MB did? Made the officer "mad"? I think you need to read some more of the facts....

Stealing
Ignoring officer's command
Assaulting an officer
Struggling over the gun

I imagine there are thousands of things being done every night that make these officers "mad" and yet they are not shooting the protesters.

I have the same questions. It can't be as you described can it? You have brought up some very important questions in your post.

Also, didn't the prosecutor have a choice to proceed with a grand jury right now? Like today? Could he have waited in order to gain more time to collect evidence, statements and all of that? I wish that a verified attorney was here to help us.

I don't know how to feel about any of this GJ stuff either. I'm so confused.

IS that what you think MB did? Made the officer "mad"? I think you need to read some more of the facts....

Stealing
Ignoring officer's command
Assaulting an officer
Struggling over the gun

I imagine there are thousands of things being done every night that make these officers "mad" and yet they are not shooting the protesters.

Just my Opine, That the evidence will show that MB got what he asked for. jmo

Is it normal for a grand jury to take so long to reach a conclusion?

Just an FYI:

Ferguson Coverage Drives CNN and Fox News Ratings as Curfew Lifts
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ferguson-coverage-drives-cnn-fox-726333
<sniped - read more & BBM>

Though CNN's viewership (1.03 million) was also up significantly, it could not match FNC's 2.14 million viewers &#8212; that despite regular cable news champ Bill O'Reilly sitting out on Monday night (Eric Bolling filled in).
Languishing in third place in both measures was MSNBC. The network, coming off of a rough July, averaged 854,000 viewers and 194,000 in the key demo.

Grand jurors are allowed to ask any witness any question. I bet if they have a question that remains unanswered, they can ask the prosecutor/s to call someone in to answer them. If they want to see Ofc. Wilson's personnel file to check for complaints against him, they can. If they want to see the medical report re his eye/face, they can. JMO based on my experience on a GA grand jury. And a gj decision in GA doesn't have to be unanimous, just majority iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theb