Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

BBM and replying to my own post ... sorry.

The man allegedly spoke about the crime 18 months after it happened while a teenager at Mount Penang Training School - a home for troubled teenage boys.
The accused murderer, who is of British heritage, allegedly spoke about the girl's abduction to detectives investigating the case at the time but was not charged.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...case-murder-Cheryl-Grimmer.html#ixzz4cWJMYSge

If the accused spoke about Cheryl's abduction whilst in Mt Penang around Aug/Sept 1971 (18mths after Cheryl went missing), its got me wondering why would detectives want to know if the institution allowed weekend release between Jan to April 1971?

Possibly other crimes Symbah? Do we know if any others in the area between Jan to Apr 1971?
Just thinking, if he was just a boy, how would he travel? Possibly hitch hike? Bus or train?
And surely weekend release would not be allowing a 15/16 year old with possible behavioural problems to roam about unsupervised. I dunno - maybe they gave time off for good behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly other crimes Symbah? Do we know if any others in the area between Jan to Apr 1971?
Just thinking, if he was just a boy, how would he travel? Possibly hitch hike? Bus or train?
And surely weekend release would not be allowing a 15/16 year old with possible behavioural problems to roam about unsupervised. I dunno - maybe they gave time off for good behaviour.

I wonder whether Mt Penang daily records of individuals carrying out sentences there back in the 60's/70's have been destroyed or are inaccessible due to privacy laws?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/international-appeal-find-british-family-10219875
As part of their inquiries into the case, NSW police said they would like to speak to the Goodyear family again and have launched an international appeal to find them.

Peter Goodyear, his wife Mavis and their daughters Karen, then six, and Janette, who was five at the time, were living at the Fairy Meadow Commonwealth Hostel at the time.

Mr Goodyear, who was 37 at the time, worked as a labourer at the John Lysaght Springhill metal works in Illawarra before the family moved to the Biabi plantation on Kar Kar Island, Papua New Guinea in late 1970. The British family later moved back to England.
Detective Sergeant Damian Loone, of NSW Police Force, said: "We have been making inquiries with authorities in Britain in a bid to find Mr Goodyear, if he is still alive, to determine whether he can still assist our ongoing inquiries. To date, these efforts have not been successful.

"We are keen to hear from anyone, here or abroad, who can help us locate the Goodyears. We will make the necessary arrangements to speak to them."

The Goodyear family or anyone who knows them is urged to contact Australian Crimestoppers on 00 61 1800 333 000 or detectives in Wollongong directly on 00 61 2 4226 7899.

What's the deal with witness in this article Peter Goodyear (described as a "hostel resident" ) who described a man of southern European appearance grabbing a child and making off with her in a car.
In light of the recent arrest his story appears rather strange. It was very detailed. Hmmm. Thinking.

https://forgottenillawarra.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-disappearance-of-cheryl-grimmer/amp/

Thanks 1968.

I agree strange and wonder if and how the 30-40 year old European ties in with the now accused :thinking:

From you're post: https://forgottenillawarra.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-disappearance-of-cheryl-grimmer/amp/

Peter Goodyear, a hostel resident, was passing the changing room when he saw a man running fast with a fair haired girl wrapped in a white towel under his arm, and recognised the man as one he had spoken to outside the changeroom earlier. He watched the man run across carpark, climb into old Holden and drive away. Thinking nothing of it, Mr. Goodyear returned home.
It is uncertain whether Cheryl was alive when Mr. Goodyear saw her, as there was a lag between this and the boys seeing her grabbed.
grimmer.jpg
The remaining Grimmer family.

The police released details about the suspect based on Mr. Goodyear’s description:
The police have never found a trace of Cheryl.. All believe she is dead, except for Carol. Cheryl’s bedroom still looks the way it did the day she disappeared. Family have moved from Fairy Meadow. Police released a description of man based on boys and Goodyear’s description: 30-40 years old, slim build, thin face and dark olive complexion. Spoke good English, but believed to be southern European. Wearing orange swimming trunks and black and vbrown beach coat and black felt hat. Driving Holden sedan 1956-1958, off-white colour with rusty mudguards. Car in poor condtion.

The clothing description of the European man in my two posts above ^^ are different.

One a black felt hat, the other a grey hat.
One a black and brown beach coat, the other a shirt. :confused:

REVEALED: British family who saw a toddler being snatched in Australia 50 years ago are FOUND and are being quizzed by police as witnesses after a man was charged with girl's murder
Detectives appealed for Goodyear family from Nottingham to come forward
They gave a statement on day Cheryl Grimmer disappeared in Wollongong
MailOnline tracked down family in Nottingham, where they vowed to help police
Detectives are now on their way to question the family over their statements
Man, 63, charged with abduction and murder in Australia's oldest cold case

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dler-snatched-tracked-down.html#ixzz4eH8VP0UX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This Canberra Times article in Trove dated Thursday 15.1.70.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/131682394?

Police seek
man with
big hat

WOLLONGONG,

Wednesday. — Police
working on the Cheryl
Grimmer case are now
looking for a swarthy,
small man in a floppy
hat.

He was seen leaving
Fairy Meadow beach, from
which the three-year-old
vanished, a half hour after
she was missed on Monday.

The girl and her three
brothers were on the beach
when Cheryl wandered over
to a dressing shed. She has
not been seen since.

Today, police received
their first real lead, when
two boys reported seeing a
man pick up a little girl
answering Cheryl's descrip-
tion and carry her away.

Police describe the man
they are seeking as 35 to
40, about 5 feet to 5 feet 2
inches tall, slim build, dark
complexion as though Ital-
ian or Spanish, speaking
with an Italian accent, and
small-faced.

He was wearing brown or
orange cotton-type shorts, a
plain creamy-white shirt
with short, sleeves, thongs
or sandals, and the floppy
hat, similar to army-style
jungle wear.

Police are seeking also
a car believed to be a rusty
Holden sedan, about 1960
make, with a dirty cream,
unpolished body, in bad
condition, and with mud-
guards either black or dark-
blue.

I wonder how these alleged sightings of a short adult man with Cheryl will be handled at the trial. They could be enough for the jury to find reasonable doubt with regard to the then-teen. A pity PG isn't available to be re-interviewed.

This is perplexing.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...er-goodyear-key-witness-to-grimmer-abduction/

According to reports from the day, Mr Goodyear told police he saw a man running from the area with a motionless, fair-haired girl under his arm, the day Cheryl vanished.
“I saw a little, dark man carrying a limp, blond-haired girl to the car. My daughter said to me, ‘Daddy, why is that man carrying that little girl?’,” Mr Goodyear told reporters.

bbm

Yet he seems to have passed muster to have been employed as a security guard.

Sorry to say this but I know the guy that's been arrested. Yes, I can confirm that the name he was arrested under is not the same as the name I know him by. He not only worked as a Security Guard, he and his former wife ran a home based child day care center and he had other Government issued licences that required Working With Children checks. Look, I feeling quite gutted over this. I desperately want justice for Cheryl but part of me wants to believe it's not really him.

Sorry to say this but I know the guy that's been arrested. Yes, I can confirm that the name he was arrested under is not the same as the name I know him by. He not only worked as a Security Guard, he and his former wife ran a home based child day care center and he had other Government issued licences that required Working With Children checks. Look, I feeling quite gutted over this. I desperately want justice for Cheryl but part of me wants to believe it's not really him.

Oh gosh that must have been a real shock for you. Without wanting to pry any further, and probably stating the obvious, but I take it you had no idea that he could have been involved in anything like this?

Oh gosh that must have been a real shock for you. Without wanting to pry any further, and probably stating the obvious, but I take it you had no idea that he could have been involved in anything like this?

Absolutely not!!!
I only found out tonight and I stumbled on this page in my research into the story.
I sat there stunned for about an hour just looking at the notes I'd made from the phone call I got.
Mind you, If he's confessed, as I suspect he has given that no body was ever found and the Police described Cheryl's injuries as "Horrrific", I'll be the first to volunteer as Executioner.
I'm aware of the Court Orders on his Identity, so obviously I won't volunteer either of the names he's known by, save to say that previous speculation is wrong.

From the NSW court lists for 24 March and 24 May, I thought it likely that this case is R v SH. I don't know whether they would be the accused's real initials, or arbitrarily chosen, or a joke (sh! hush!) The man who was arrested, was he known by a name with initials S H?

Putting aside the March arrest and assumptions about what the police know and we don't, do we know anything that would eliminate Goodyear as a suspect?

From the NSW court lists for 24 March and 24 May, I thought it likely that this case is R v SH. I don't know whether they would be the accused's real initials, or arbitrarily chosen, or a joke (sh! hush!) The man who was arrested, was he known by a name with initials S H?

That's the initials of his original name. I know him by another.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donna_Avery
Back