Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #7 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. She had money, she had a car, she had relatives in the area, and she had a phone to call 911 if he became violent. She didn't have to do what he said, if indeed it was his idea to leave Sherin at home alone while they went out to eat. Either it was her idea or it was his idea and she agreed. She's just as guilty.

I did a Crisis Line for Battered Women and one of many calls stands out in my mind, it was in the middle of the night and it was from an R.N. working the graveyard shift at a nearby hospital, which husband insisted she work this shift so she would be home sleeping during the day while children were at school. Her husband was not only physically abusive but controlled everything. Her paycheck was deposited into an account only he had access to, he did not allow her to have keys to the house or the car and in fact dropped her off and picked her up from work. It was certainly a strange situation, and I am not suggesting this was the case with Sherins parents by any means. Just posting to show the lengths abusers will go to control their victims no matter how smart and educated they are.

I come from the same background as them and know the culture extremely well. Ask me any questions you have on culture!
We lived in Bangalore, India for four years, so can understand that culture would have played a significant part in the parent’s actions.

In response to another message related to the male dominant culture in India, ultrasounds are not commonly performed there during pregnancy so that the child’s gender is not revealed.

I did a Crisis Line for Battered Women and one of many calls stands out in my mind, it was in the middle of the night and it was from an R.N. working the graveyard shift at a nearby hospital, which husband insisted she work this shift so she would be home sleeping during the day while children were at school. Her husband was not only physically abusive but controlled everything. Her paycheck was deposited into an account only he had access to, he did not allow her to have keys to the house or the car and in fact dropped her off and picked her up from work. It was certainly a strange situation, and I am not suggesting this was the case with Sherins parents by any means. Just posting to show the lengths abusers will go to control their victims no matter how smart and educated they are.

But what does that have to do with this particular case? As far as I can tell, there isn't a shred of evidence that somehow the wife was abused. We also know that when the husband confessed (twice with different stories) to what supposedly happened to the child, he left wife out of the story both times. If he was somehow that abusive and controlling, why no attempt to make her take the blame?

roccoi am sorry I have an OT question if you don’t mind.

Are you:
Male
Female
don’t know
don’t care
neither
both
other

i just want to know when the voices in my head read your posts which voice to use.

JMHO

So... maybe just use the bass voice from the dogs barking jingle bells. :wolf2:

Thank you edimmu for your perspective on the Indian Culture. I know that in other Countries many couples feel fortunate to have a son. What has bothered me from the beginning of this horrible story is why would Sini & Wesley travel all the way from the US to India to adopt a girl, Sherin, as they already have a biological daughter. I would have thought that they would have chosen a male child. As you explained in your post #561 "having a son is seen as a privilege and people automatically look up to the family. Do you have any insight as to why they chose Sherin?

Another child case, so devastating. I've seen about 5 different recent child murder cases today. Why would anyone harm a child?

( Warning: Lengthy reply )

Thanks for your reply. Thanks to everyone else too who shared their thoughts and opinions on this topic.

No argument from me about the temperament of those who are attracted to nursing, as well as the other helping professions.

Everyone who posted has shown clearly that nurses are givers. We willingly go the extra mile and beyond. We put up with conditions that others never would. We take all our commitments seriously.

There's good reasons why nursing has been voted the most trusted profession by the public, for 15 years in a row.

http://www.nursingworld.org/Homepag...NI/Nurses-Rank-1-Most-Trusted-Profession.html

The core of nursing is caring. Caring means feeling concern, empathy, and compassion for others.

Being caretakers, it's no wonder those values can easily lead many to choose the wrong partner.

I agree with that. Being assertive for patients doesn't mean a nurse will not be in an abusive relationship. I sincerely apologize if I gave the other perception. My Egyptian coworker was in a very abusive relationship for years before she got out.

I believe when many nurses realize they are in abusive relationships, they may try harder to stay. They want to fix things. To heal things. They put others before themselves. That's how nurses are wired.

But I believe the act of speaking up for a patient helps that nurse, over time, to find her voice to speak up for herself.

The knowledge that the abuse is wrong has been ingrained in her throughout her education and work experience. I believe it then becomes a tool to give her a better chance of getting out.

Not a guarantee but a better chance.

I believe several people said that in their posts - that it wasn't easy but they learned to stand up for themselves and got out.

That is most important. They're not in abusive relationships now, and they're being careful not to get into another.

Domestic violence is epidemic. That's why the stats in your links looked so odd to me. That one study, referenced by both, and based in the United Kingdom, stated: "Some 14% of nurses have been victims of domestic abuse in the last year, with one in 50 suffering injury. This compared with a national average of 4.4%"

National average of 4.4%??

Those stats sent me searching for results of domestic violence in the USA. They told a much different story. The study I've linked below states the average rate is almost one in every three women! Almost 33%, not 4.4%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ced-domestic-violence/?utm_term=.5318257caec9

That's a huge difference. Are the women in these two countries really treated that much differently? I would guess it's more an error in reporting.

I couldn't find any stats for domestic violence against American nurses. Any violence is too much, but I wonder if it's more or less than the American average of almost 33%.

Not sure what any of this means, if anything, because it's all conjecture, generalities, and opinions.

Don't know if it even applies to Sini.

It's my opinion though that she did not leave a 3 year old, defenseless child home alone because she was too scared of her husband.

She advocated for children in her job, but was too scared to advocate for her own? Not buying it.

She walked out and closed that door behind her. She knew what she was doing. ' Evil' is the only word that can explain that, imo.

My hope is that Sherin died quickly before they went out to eat. The thought of that poor child being left there alone, frightened and helpless, just tears my heart out...

JMO

I just don't find "evil" to be an adequate explanation for an act of abuse or neglect (or much of anything else for that matter). People make choices for reasons, generally to protect or advance self--or by extension family.

I have to look for the personal gain in any of this. A controlling person tends to be highly ego-protective. In many cases abuse (such as shaken baby) traces back to frustration--often based in a belief of personal rejection by the baby or child.

Understanding such causes is not about excusing any person's choices, but rather being able accurately assess the events. We should always be about looking at the fact pattern to piece together a larger picture. To my mind a placeholder like "evil" doesn't contribute much, although it may be useful in distancing ourselves from the events--believing that none of us could ever commit such horrors.

Absolutelty JMO

The only thing common across every Indian is that women should submit to men and obey them.
Though the mistreatment of women is a sad truth in Indian society, I don't think we have any evidence for mistreatment of SM at the hands of WM. It is as valid as the scenario of SM being the evil mother and wife and WM taking the blame.
The fact that the Mathews' had a biological female child and specifically adopted Sherin says that the preference for boy child (female infanticide and foeticide though common in Indian society) is not relevant here.

But it is possible that Sherin's developmental issues would not have been fully anticipated by the adoptive parents when they did the adoption in India. Physically and mentally challenged individuals are invisible in the Indian society let alone being acknowledged in public spaces with suitable amenities !!

Families hide and do not acknowledge disabilities in the family lest their good name is besmirched in the arranged marriage market. More than 80% of the marriages in India are 'arranged', the bride and groom getting selected by the family (though in modern families the groom and the bride have the final say).

I would say that if Sherin had been manifesting physical and mental challenges after her arrival in the US, this would have been a major issue for the Mathews' and their extended family. Because Sherin's issues potentially impact many others in the immediate circle.

Just another theory but I would put a lot of money betting behind this one.

It feels like the unfounded speculation on Sini being a victim of abuse/coercion is painting a picture of "poor her." She is getting so much more benefit of the doubt, despite the horror of the crime, than before we knew she would be charged with child endangerment, and more so than I've seen happen in most other cases I'm following.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another child case, so devastating. I've seen about 5 different recent child murder cases today. Why would anyone harm a child?
Welcome SpeckledCactys I look forward to reading more of your posts
:welcome6::welcome:

I just don't find "evil" to be an adequate explanation for an act of abuse or neglect (or much of anything else for that matter). People make choices for reasons, generally to protect or advance self--or by extension family.

I have to look for the personal gain in any of this. A controlling person tends to be highly ego-protective. In many cases abuse (such as shaken baby) traces back to frustration--often based in a belief of personal rejection by the baby or child.

Understanding such causes is not about excusing any person's choices, but rather being able accurately assess the events. We should always be about looking at the fact pattern to piece together a larger picture. To my mind a placeholder like "evil" doesn't contribute much, although it may be useful in distancing ourselves from the events--believing that none of us could ever commit such horrors.

Absolutelty JMO

I always enjoy and agree with your posts, but on this one I respectfully disagree. I do believe the root cause is inherent evil. Pretty simple. And I could care less whether the Perp was previously abused, controlled, whatever. Don't care. We have many shining examples of people who endured horrific abuse as children and went on to contribute significantly to society. Joyce Meyer comes to mind as a good example of that.

The defense attorneys will get deep in to the psycho babble and attempt to use it as a defense. Fortunately the people of Texas are smarter than buying that pitch. These two will either get the death penalty or a chain gang. Sounds about right.

No disrespect intended to your post, or viewpoint. I'm just expressing an alternate opinion.

It feels like the unfounded speculation on Sini being a victim of abuse/coercion is painting a picture of "poor her." She is getting so much more benefit of the doubt, despite the horror of the crime, than before we knew she would be charged with child endangerment, and more so than I've seen happen in most other cases I'm following.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, it's an interesting dynamic I haven't seen before. I suspect she has some supporters who are pushing that narrative. I'm not subscribing to it. Not at all.

Absolutelty JMO

I agree... I don’t like to jump to labels such as “evil” and “monster” and prefer to believe these parent-responsible child deaths are one-off events that could happen to anyone... now, in the case of a calculating and ongoing abusive situation or repeated targeting stranger abduction/abuse/rape/murder that is a different pathology. I have seen much allusion to potential sexual abuse in this case and I don’t get that vibe at all. I am still “jury out” on what actually happened and will continue to evaluate the evidence... this may put me in the minority, but often we see a “kill the beast” knee-jerk reaction from the community (Beauty and the Beast reference).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having a discussion about possible scenarios is what I have thought was one of the best aspects of Websleuths. I am confused by the response to the discussion of Sini's affect and demeanor, and reasons why someone might act like that, and the labeling of those discussions as giving Sini the benefit of the doubt or excusing the events or trying to elicit empathy for her. Maybe I am missing something. There was a discussion earlier about Wesley being the one who was controlled, and that he was taking the fall for Sini. All in the pursuit of hypothesis that help to explain the unexplainable

We don't know what happened inside that family, and I am interested in engaging in hypothesizing and trying to figure out what could have possibly happened. Not as a way to make someone a victim or absolve them of the consequences of their actions.

I always enjoy and agree with your posts, but on this one I respectfully disagree. I do believe the root cause is inherent evil. Pretty simple. And I could care less whether the Perp was previously abused, controlled, whatever. Don't care. We have many shining examples of people who endured horrific abuse as children and went on to contribute significantly to society. Joyce Meyer comes to mind as a good example of that.

The defense attorneys will get deep in to the psycho babble and attempt to use it as a defense. Fortunately the people of Texas are smarter than buying that pitch. These two will either get the death penalty or a chain gang. Sounds about right.

No disrespect intended to your post, or viewpoint. I'm just expressing an alternate opinion.

To my mind the explanation of "evil" denies individual choice and responsibility just as much, or possibly more, than understanding psychological or environmental factors.

Begs all kinds of questions about whether "evil" is innate, or a choice. And if a choice, why would anyone make evil choices? In short, it explains little and gets us back to the same question, which is "why?"

Having a discussion about possible scenarios is what I have thought was one of the best aspects of Websleuths. I am confused by the response to the discussion of Sini's affect and demeanor, and reasons why someone might act like that, and the labeling of those discussions as giving Sini the benefit of the doubt or excusing the events or trying to elicit empathy for her. Maybe I am missing something. There was a discussion earlier about Wesley being the one who was controlled, and that he was taking the fall for Sini. All in the pursuit of hypothesis that help to explain the unexplainable

We don't know what happened inside that family, and I am interested in engaging in hypothesizing and trying to figure out what could have possibly happened. Not as a way to make someone a victim or absolve them of the consequences of their actions.

No one is trying to squash that discussion and debate. Some of us may not agree with the posts, and that is just fine. We all have different perspectives. All good. Post on! : )

I agree. Some very horrific things have happened to me and at one point in my life I wondered if I were actually a sociopath. I have severe PTSD. However, I took the horrific experiences and chose humility instead of revenge. I know I have the capacity to be evil; so I choose to be good. I got help. I know I will have to see a therapist and take medication for the rest of my life.There is a fine line some of us toe, and the direction we choose makes a difference. Instead of hunting down innocent people, I prefer to hunt down criminals and follow the law, hoping for justice. Because I can think like a criminal, I have had much success in my chosen career in CyberSecurity.

As far as this case, I just started reading yesterday, so I don't have an informed opinion yet.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

To my mind the explanation of "evil" denies individual choice and responsibility just as much, or possibly more, than understanding psychological or environmental factors.

Begs all kinds of questions about whether "evil" is innate, or a choice. And if a choice, why would anyone make evil choices? In short, it explains little and gets us back to the same question, which is "why?"

Great post. Some will say the root cause aligns with the tag line under my user name; a quote from T.S. Eliot - "The trilling wire in the blood / Sings below inveterate scars."
Others will say it is genetic. It is my personal belief that forces greater than ourselves can fill in the gaps that exist in every human being; our deficiencies, as long as we submit to that greater good.

Woah, pretty heavy before my morning coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeAM