Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with what you've said and sadly my answer to your question is...probably workload...coroners have been cut and cut. And now with MAID (medical assistance in dying) we involve the coroner with every case. You may be surprised how often coroners are involved in patient deaths.....add that up along with other factors that have yet to be described and you have a perfect (unsatisfactory to us) reason why they may seem less than eager to jump in with the offer of an autopsy......But as you said, it is certainly also about the investigators with law enforcement.

Well the coroner in this case claims to have actually retired two years prior but he "helped out" as an "investigating" coroner when asked. His name still shows up online quite often in regards to consultation work on other cases. Are coroners being hired on a contract basis now?

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
He technically retired in 2010, Evans says, but he still helped out as an investigating coroner on cases when needed in the city on a case by case basis. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Evans says he got a phone call from dispatch on the evening of Nov. 29, sometime after 8 p.m. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
"I picked up my bag and I went to the address given," Evans says. It was Millard's home. #Millard

Thank you for posting the pictures. Just scrolled thru and wow.......2 more lululemon bags.....at 1:34 and 1:43. The red one similar to the one in WM's bedroom with the gun "on it" is very similar to the one at 1:34. I find it odd that it would end up in WM's room.

The pictures I posted were taken in May 2013 about 6 months after WM's death during the Tim Bosma investigation. So the bags you are seeing would not be the one in WM's bedroom. Unless it was just left there with the blood on it and all and DM just threw it somewhere else with the rest of the junk? :eek:

Now I've got to go have a look!

MOO

ETA: Wow, that IS creepy that DM had the same kind of bag beside his own bed 6 months later. Too bad there weren't any pictures of WM's room shown at that time. I'd be curious to know what he did with the room after WM's death.

Last edited:
Why could not police search properly the house after finding the (illegal) gun and drugs on a base of illegal activities? Though, they seemed tried to open the safe. Have they succeed afterwards?

If the police data-bank was better, they could traced that DM was connected to a missing person. A police visit to a hangar probably would have closed the deal for a full scale investigation.

Why has the coroner rushed to conclude the suicide? Save the town monies and get own paycheck asap?

Why could not police search properly the house after finding the (illegal) gun and drugs on a base of illegal activities? Though, they seemed tried to open the safe. Have they succeed afterwards?

If the police data-bank was better, they could traced that DM was connected to a missing person. A police visit to a hangar probably would have closed the deal for a full scale investigation.

Why has the coroner rushed to conclude the suicide? Save the town monies and get own paycheck asap?
To search a home in Canada, police need a warrant. To get a search warrant, they need to convince a judge they have reasonable grounds to believe a particular crime has been committed. To prove reasonable grounds they need to compile known, established facts that are specifically evidence of a crime. Conducting a search purely on the basis of suspicions is a violation of Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and would probably not stand up in court even if some evidence were found.

Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms - Wikipedia

I doubt that his conclusion had any affect on when he would receive his paycheque, or that saving the town money was a priority. Rather, I suspect that the police and the coroner were hoodwinked by the assurances made by DM that WM was a drinker and prone to depression. Psychopathic murderers can tell tales that are very manipulative and persuasive. Perhaps if DM had not been present, the case might have been investigated more thoroughly.

To search a home in Canada, police need a warrant. To get a search warrant, they need to convince a judge they have reasonable grounds to believe a particular crime has been committed. To prove reasonable grounds they need to compile known, established facts that are specifically evidence of a crime. Conducting a search purely on the basis of suspicions is a violation of Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and would probably not stand up in court even if some evidence were found.

Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms - Wikipedia

In this instance, police were called to the scene. They did not need a warrant to enter and search the premise for foul play.

I thought that DM had said that there might be guns in a safe, and that is why the cops spent 10 mins trying to open the safe. I don't remember him before that there might be a gun in a bag. I'm a bit confused.
Visiting by ex-wife and mother MB (family) after death/previous to police and police trying to open a safe reminds me of OPistorius case - and I think it was constructed all the similar way by the accused, IMO.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 24s25 seconds ago
Bevilacqua says he later spoke with Millard and Burns about the gun after it was found. Burns says she knew her ex-husband to have owned guns, but didn't know if there were any still in the home. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Bevilacqua says Dellen Millard told him that night there might be a bag with a gun in it in the basement of the home. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 36s37 seconds ago
Bevilacqua says he and some other officers went down to the basement and looked around. He noticed the walls were all painted black, and there were gaming units attached. He also noticed "drug paraphernalia lying around" and a "green leafy substance" in the fireplace. #Millard

Extremely clever of DM to keep these things lying around .....

or if he is aware that the police are trained in body language and tells (things people do when they lie).
What I noticed: DM again and again had a brief look to the officer to learn if the officer was looking at him and whether his own (prolix) statements (recited in rehearsed serious tone) would impress the "poor stupid" officer.
All MOO of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I can't find it now, but in the last few days there was a court exhibit photo released of WM laying on his bed - he's actually blurred out, but the rest of the pic is very clear. In that pic, to his left, is a dresser with a bowl at the very end. I'm guessing this is the bowl of whatever snack it was speculated that he prepared for himself. I'm also guessing the autopsy results will reveal what that snack was, and how long between eating it and passing away.

This might sound awful, and I don't mean it to, and I do not think this is the case for all retirees (sometimes it can actually be the complete opposite): but I wouldn't be surprised that after retirement, some folks look for easy breezy consultant/contract work. When that's the case, they sometimes don't put in a thorough effort.

People always cut up TPS, but having seen the evidence thus far, what would tip you off that this was a murder. Millard was very cooperative with police and in his interview appeared to be distraught. He didn't really say anything out of the ordinary and to this point I haven't heard anything to say he contradicted himself. Would you like TPS to treat every family member of a suicide victim as a murder suspect? Fact is that multiple people have told police that WM was under stress, in financial crisis, was prone to depression, and was on powerful medication while continuing to drink heavily. He fit the bill as somebody that would kill themselves.

Also, if Millard had planned this, why would he leave marijuana lying around. Why would he suggest that his father had gotten rid of all his guns years earlier? That said, I would have asked him why he would call his mother first, before calling 911. At this point that is the only thing that seems strange.
If his father was getting rid of his guns why would DM give him another, and why an illegal one. And, if he didn't, how did his dad get hold of it? Do they normally leave guns lying around the house?
The existence of pot paraphernalia around the house is just another example of DMs stellar cleaning abilities. We would probably be appalled at what it looked like before he cleaned up.

Sorry to quote myself.
I had *assumed*, for some reason, that DM's business meeting involving WM and the last time he'd seen him, on Nov 28th around noon, had occurred at the Maplegate residence. When I looked back at AC's liveblog, I see that he did not specify the location. So my above comment about going 'back' to the house becomes even more relevant if that meeting happened instead at the hangar..... so when exactly had DM gone to the house BEFORE 6-6:30pm on Nov 30th, if he stated he had gone BACK to the house?? Ooops!!

The term "back" can't be right, IMO. Doesn't fit at all which situation ever. When he said he couldn't get a hold of WM for days (AFAIK) therefore would have gone to the home checking on him, then he himself shouldn't have been there for some time before. Why "back", if he wasn't there before?

I am enjoying this case because it is judge-only and they dont have to take all those time-outs to discuss what the jury can or cannot see or hear.

I am thinking there will be more tantalizing info to come .... because in the past 2 trials there were many "tantalizing" redactions kept from the jury and from the public because it might taint the Wayne trial

Now that we are here , with no further trials on the horizon , I hope they tell us everything. Such as the history of the gun ..... it was quashed at the other trials because the crown could not say it was used to kill Wayne (not proven yet) ..... stuff like that ..... and all the entanglements with the gun seller who obviously admitted a lot more than we know about.

I assume it was because the Millards are the wrong colour.

I admit I'm understanding not much when DM gets interviewed. English, I mostly don't hear and don't speak here at home, plus the little volume and clarity. BUT I heard when he said "family business" like a verrry modest young man, haha. I'm sure he was proud of himself to have not by mistake spoken of "my business". Maybe, he inwardly has grinned. - IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donwhoolery