Identified! KY - Owenton, off Hwy 330, WhtFem 25-40, UP101, 'Steve' tattoo, clothes, May'88 - Linda Bennett

‘Jane Doe’ found murdered in Kentucky 32 years ago may have ties to South Florida
By DOUG PHILLIPS
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL
JAN 10, 2020 | 1:15 PM

An unidentified woman who suffered an undignified death in rural Kentucky in 1988 may have ties to South Florida or areas around Columbus, Ohio, new leads suggest.

“It’s just information that has developed over time,” Detective Jeffrey Johnson with the Kentucky State Police told the South Florida Sun Sentinel on Friday.

A day earlier the agency updated the cold case with that new location information and help from the Texas Rangers Evidential Art & Facial Identification division, whose experts were able to develop new composite images depicting how the woman who was killed may have looked at the time of her death.

A man and woman heading out for a newspaper discovered her body May 6, 1988, in Owen County, about 50 miles northeast of Louisville.

What they initially thought might be a goat from a nearby farm was actually the woman’s body, nearly naked and missing part of her left hand.

She was wearing nothing but a pair of men’s socks — brown and pulled up around her ankles perfectly.

“It was really unusual for a person to have on men’s dress socks and nothing else," Joy Kelly, who discovered the body with her husband, said in a WHAS television report on the cold case in 2018.

Forensic information posted online by the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System indicates that the woman was between ages 25 and 40 and had likely been dead just days before being found.

A medical examiner determined that she had been strangled.

The only distinguishing feature on the woman’s body was a crude tattoo on her upper right arm with the name “Steve.”

Investigators were able to get a fingerprint from the woman, but it never led to an identification. And in recent years, hair samples have been sent to scientists to see if DNA can be extracted.

Police won’t say specifically why investigators think the woman may have ties to Ohio or South Florida.

“She may have been on her way to those areas or have family there,” Johnson said.

The remains investigators refer to as “Jane Doe” are in a cemetery in Owenton, Kentucky.

Joy Kelly, the woman who found her body all those years ago, doesn’t think the killer will ever be brought to justice but says the victim must have had family and friends.

“Somebody is missing somebody,” she told WHAS.

B3CF34D5-BE52-492B-9D59-3E57FBB6BE23.jpeg
The Texas Rangers Evidential Art & Facial Identification division used new technology to develop updated composite images for Kentucky police of how an unidentified woman may have looked before she was killed in 1988. Kentucky State Police Thursday, Jan. 9, 2019, said new information suggests the woman may have ties to South Florida or the Columbus, Ohio area. (Kentucky State Police / Courtesy)

From the above link:

“Police won’t say specifically why investigators think the woman may have ties to [Columbus] Ohio or South Florida.

She may have been on her way to those areas or have family there,” Johnson said.”

and

“...missing part of her left hand”

img

July 15, 1988. The Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY.

It looks like either mud or discoloration from decomposition to me.
That’s what I figured but I couldn’t see well enough. Thank you! The image created with her recons in front of the actual crime scene is unusual to me. Never seen that done before lol

Maybe it helps in narrowing down a specific location?

It’s been mentioned previously, but to refresh her page; this is from the Unidentified Wiki link:

“The Parabon NanoLabs offered their services in early 2019. They have yet to release the results of their testing. The Jane Doe herself was buried in an unmarked grave; the exact location of her body is unknown. DNA was recovered via hair clippings kept in her evidence file.”

Wonder what they’ll find out, or have found out?

This article summarizes OCJD's discovery and introduces this podcast, part of which is an interview with the woman who found OCJD's remains. The podcast is embedded in the article.

Investigators hope to identify nameless, faceless Kentucky woman after 30 years

The three-decade old investigation into how Jane Doe died will get new attention next week when it's featured on an episode of "True Crime Chronicles,” a podcast by VAULT Studios. The podcast's team talked with WHAS investigative reporter Shay McAlister, the woman who found Jane Doe and the detective who is trying to give Jane a name.
#
This video was embedded on the same page as this article.

I do think they look similar but the UID had no natural teeth while Rhonda is shown with a nice full set, and I don't think she could have lost them all in a year.
Was it ever mentioned if the UID hadn't had teeth for a while or if they could have been pulled recently? For edentulous UIDs i know they can usually tell.

I do think they look similar but the UID had no natural teeth while Rhonda is shown with a nice full set, and I don't think she could have lost them all in a year.
Was it ever mentioned if the UID hadn't had teeth for a while or if they could have been pulled recently? For edentulous UIDs i know they can usually tell.
I’ve not seen anything aside from “had no teeth”. And there’s not much to go on in Rhonda’s case either; when the photos were taken, prior injuries, etc. I don’t think she looks a great deal like the first photo of Rhonda (smiling), but more like the 2nd one. I don’t see teeth in that picture, but that doesn’t mean much.

I may just see if we can get more info on the dentals, or lack thereof.

Last edited:
From the above link:

“Police won’t say specifically why investigators think the woman may have ties to [Columbus] Ohio or South Florida.
She may have been on her way to those areas or have family there,” Johnson said.”

and “...missing part of her left hand”
I'm pretty convinced they're looking at this thread UID as one of the Samuel Little victims.
Samuel Little: Confessions of a Killer | Federal Bureau of Investigation
Unmatched Confession: Covington, Kentucky, 1984
... from Loraine, Ohio, to Cincinnati. While en route, he met a 25-year-old white female outside a strip club. He remembers her as being 5’6” - 5’7” tall and 130-170 pounds. Little describes her as having short blonde hair and blue eyes with a “hippie” appearance. She approached him and asked for a ride to Miami, Florida, saying her mother lived there. Little said he and the woman drove south on Interstate 75. When they reached Cincinnati, the two of them spent time downtown on Vine Street. They continued driving together, across the river into northern Kentucky. Little described driving to a hilly area not far from I-75. He drove up a small dirt road to the top of a “little round hill,” where he strangled the woman in the backseat of his car. He left her body on the top of the hill.

And, wondering if this diner from the unsolved photo gallery for this UID existed on Cincinnati's Vine Street.
UNSOLVED | GALLERY: Justice for Jane Doe

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimilino01
Back