Identified! KY - Owenton, off Hwy 330, WhtFem 25-40, UP101, 'Steve' tattoo, clothes, May'88 - Linda Bennett

I mean no offense to truck drivers, but a lot of serial killers that had widely spaced victims (location-wise) have been truckers or someone travelling on some sort of business.

Bruce D. MENDENHALL (trucker)
≈4 victims in at least 3 states
mendenhall_000.jpg

Robert Ben RHOADES (trucker)
3+ victims in at least 2 states
rhoades000.jpg

Wayne Adam FORD (trucker)
≈4 victims in western US
ford000.jpg

Dellmus Charles COLVIN (trucker)
7+ victims in at least 2 states
colvin5.jpg

Andrei Romanovich CHIKATILO (traveled for work)
≈60 victims across western USSR
018.jpg

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/101

Three ruleouts:

Linda Davis 1946 Oklahoma
Sherie Graves 1955 California
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia

It includes some information I hadn't seen before: "Brown nylon blouse, white men's Winner's Choice tennis shoes size 5 1/2, faded jeans, blue bra found near by body."

Size 5 1/2 men's shoes are about a size 7 or 7 1/2 women's; women with wide feet (like me) often prefer men's style if they can find them.

There's also a new, much better reconstruction dated 2017: 39771.jpeg

New forensic technology may help solve decades-old cold case in Owenton, Kentucky

https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/new...lve-decades-old-cold-case-in-owenton-kentucky

WCPO_Owenton_sketch_1526137514171_86656670_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Kentucky State Police are asking people if they recognize the woman in a new facial composite sketch after she was found dead 30 years ago.

The woman’s body was found May 6, 1988 in an open field 18 miles south of Owenton, near Highway 330. It was partially decomposed, and her identity has remained a mystery since.

With the help of new forensic facial technology, KSP hopes the new composite will help identify the victim and bring the case to a close.

New technology has been beneficial to investigators in other recent cold case developments, including the case of Marcia King near Dayton, Ohio.

The Owenton victim is believed to have been 25 to 40 years old when she died. She had dark brown, graying hair cut in a bob and a homemade tattoo reading "STEVE" on her upper arm.

She was wearing dark brown or black men’s socks, a brown nylon blouse, Winner’s choice men’s tennis shoes, faded blue jeans and a blue bra.

[h=3]KSP Needs Help Identifying Cold Case Victim[/h]
Investigators believe she was murdered, but her identity is unknown.
The woman is estimated to have been between the ages of 25-40 when she died. She was wearing dark brown or black men's socks, a brown nylon blouse, Winner's Choice men's tennis shoes, size 5 1/2, faded blue jeans and a blue bra.

She had dark brown hair, cut in a bobbed style. Investigators say she had some grey hair too.
Investigators said the victim had a poorly homemade tattoo of the name "STEVE" on her upper arm.
If you have any information, please contact Detective Endre Samu with the Kentucky State Police at 502-532-6363.
http://www.lex18.com/story/38171195/ksp-needs-help-identifying-cold-case-victim

KSP Needs Help Identifying Cold Case Victim
Investigators said the victim had a poorly homemade tattoo of the name "STEVE" on her upper arm.
http://www.lex18.com/story/38171195/ksp-needs-help-identifying-cold-case-victim

Just a thought, but it might close down possibilities to assume that "Steve" was necessarily a bloke. It's possible that "Steve" was also a female and that the deceased was a lesbian.

I'm thinking of Francis Durbridge, who wrote crime novels from the 1930s to the 1970s and adapted many of them for BBC Radio, in particular his Paul Temple stories. Durbridge's wife also wrote under the pen name Steve Trent, and in the novels Temple's wife was Steve, his former secretary. I'm assuming Steve in the wife's case was from Stephanie but I've not read the novels and the radio plays don't go into the whys and wherefores of her name.

FWIW I've also come across a girl who was officially Stephanie but who used the nickname Stevie rather than Steph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Temple

If anyone would like a taste of Paul Temple and Steve, here is a full serial from 1942:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbG7jqfeiCo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Well_of_Loneliness

It's also worth reading about The Well of Loneliness, a 1928 novel about a female who was expected to be a boy and who was nevertheless given the name she would have been given had she indeed been a boy - Stephen. Stephen grows up to be a butch lesbian.

TBH I doubt either of these would be valid references for a presumably US woman born sometime around the mid 1950s to mid 1960s, but there may be other, more US-centric, sources to consider.

A new article on this Jane Doe. While there isn't much new information about her physical appearance or case circumstances, there are some quotes from the lady who found her body.

Also, this little piece of information suggested that the small local police department was overwhelmed by a bus crash a week later in which 27 people died, meaning this Jane Doe case was not their priority:

The progress, though, came to a screeching halt only a week after the discovery.

On May 14, 1988, less than an hour away from where the body was found, the deadliest drunk driving collision in United States history took place. The Carrollton bus crash took the lives of 27 people and became detectives' main priority, pushing Jane Doe's file to the bottom of the pile.

“That kind of deterred the investigation process on this particular case," Samu said. "So the case eventually went cold and people, other detectives, have tried to come up with answers to this situation, but just like anything else we all get wrapped up in our work."

UNSOLVED | Justice for Jane Doe

Unidentified Person Case

Three ruleouts:

Linda Davis 1946 Oklahoma
Sherie Graves 1955 California
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia

It includes some information I hadn't seen before: "Brown nylon blouse, white men's Winner's Choice tennis shoes size 5 1/2, faded jeans, blue bra found near by body."

Size 5 1/2 men's shoes are about a size 7 or 7 1/2 women's; women with wide feet (like me) often prefer men's style if they can find them.

There's also a new, much better reconstruction dated 2017: View attachment 132264

Unidentified Person Case

Ruleout added: Barbara Frame, from Ohio.

Posted: 3:50 PM, Jan 09, 2020
Updated: 2:56 PM, Jan 09, 2020
By: Melissa Ratliff

07AC6529-9E81-4554-8FB1-E3F56A55030F.png
OWEN COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — Do you know this Jane Doe?

Kentucky State Police in Campbellsburg have asked for the public's assistance in identifying a 1988 cold case murder victim.

That year, officials found a woman in a rural area lying in close proximity to a roadway. Due to severe decomposition, the woman has not yet been identified. KSP is hoping to change that.

New information has led investigators to believe the victim may have affiliations to the Columbus, Ohio and/or the Miami, Florida areas. With the assistance of Texas Rangers Evidential Art & Facial Identification, using new advancements in technology, a new composite has been prepared that depicts how the victim may have looked at the time of her death.
915A8CD5-CB79-4247-AC38-6E4BDC901485.png
If you know this woman...please call Detective Johnson with the Kentucky State Police Post 5 at 502-532-6363.

K475OSR2HRCKJMGAQRX45FCOYU.jpg

‘Jane Doe’ found murdered in Kentucky 32 years ago may have ties to South Florida

I'm wondering if Samuel Little may have his dates and location a bit off. There's a woman below he said he met in Columbus, Ohio. That she asked for a ride to Florida and he said murdered her in northern KY in 1984.

620ec39a-583c-4ed5-826f-a32f763679c5.jpeg

Samuel Little: Confessions of a Killer | Federal Bureau of Investigation

I’m currently “stuck in Kentucky”...I came across a newspaper article while researching another case and it made me want to look into some of the many KY cold cases! I didn’t realize there were as many as there are.

I hadn’t thought of Samuel Little for this one but it’s quite possible! I’ll have to do some more reading. I’ll attach the newspaper clipping I found for anyone interested in KY Unidentified cases. This was from 1997, so it’s older and I’ve not checked to see which cases have been solved, but it’s a start...

Attachments

• 0E0FB638-4C15-42B9-B9DE-34F03FF334F2.jpeg
    0E0FB638-4C15-42B9-B9DE-34F03FF334F2.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 15
  • D9260581-3C5B-47BF-B5D9-A5A0076A7F0B.jpeg
    D9260581-3C5B-47BF-B5D9-A5A0076A7F0B.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 062A25FC-6764-4293-87A2-13C643EE03C5.jpeg
    062A25FC-6764-4293-87A2-13C643EE03C5.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 12
I'm wondering if Samuel Little may have his dates and location a bit off. There's a woman below he said he met in Columbus, Ohio. That she asked for a ride to Florida and he said murdered her in northern KY in 1984.

620ec39a-583c-4ed5-826f-a32f763679c5.jpeg

Samuel Little victim

K475OSR2HRCKJMGAQRX45FCOYU.jpg

You could be onto something with Little. He's been accurate with his portraits though his timelines are sometimes fuzzy. The reconstruction certainly bears quite a resemblance to the portrait.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back