AL AL - Christina Carter, 3, Hueytown, 17 Sept 1973

I have recently been reading up on this. I see no one mentions the hueytown police officer anymore?? Why?
I just finished reading "Finding Sharon" and I truly wonder now about what comes out of it..,it does seem to be connected somehow.
Is your stepfather still alive? He didnt get nervous around the time FDF was arrested? And Suzanne Marie Sevakis true idenity was known?

Regarding your third point, I think it has been sorted out in this thread that baby brother was not actually taken by Floyd and is alive and well today. Read back to make sure.

I really would bet money on it , that he did have something to do with killing Janet , seems to be the same type of beating that Cheryl got in the pics and I bet he grabbed Thomas when he killed Michael and then changed his mind or got even more enraged ,the timing and where Michael was dumped per Floyd was almost spot on

I really would bet money on it , that he did have something to do with killing Janet , seems to be the same type of beating that Cheryl got in the pics and I bet he grabbed Thomas when he killed Michael and then changed his mind or got even more enraged ,the timing and where Michael was dumped per Floyd was almost spot on

Can you give me a clue who Janet, Cheryl and Thomas are?

Janet - Christina's mom, Cheryl Commesso murdered by Franklin Floyd , Thomas Tillery a little boy who resided at the exit on Oklahoma where Floyd Dumped Michael Hughes Body (and he looked alot like Michael) read Matt Birbecks blog "finally" upthread where a woman was interviewed by the FBI and said her Father a friend of Floyd's raped and killed Christina and Janet (Janet was beaten severely just like Cheryl) hope I didn't confuse you more :) I'm good for that ya know

I just finished reading "Finding Sharon" and I truly wonder now about what comes out of it..,it does seem to be connected somehow.
Is your stepfather still alive? He didnt get nervous around the time FDF was arrested? And Suzanne Marie Sevakis true idenity was known?

He passed years ago. Maybe 04?? Around then I believe.

Janet - Christina's mom, Cheryl Commesso murdered by Franklin Floyd , Thomas Tillery a little boy who resided at the exit on Oklahoma where Floyd Dumped Michael Hughes Body (and he looked alot like Michael) read Matt Birbecks blog "finally" upthread where a woman was interviewed by the FBI and said her Father a friend of Floyd's raped and killed Christina and Janet (Janet was beaten severely just like Cheryl) hope I didn't confuse you more :) I'm good for that ya know

Thank you SO much, now I get it.

Christina Lynn Carter, last seen in Hueytown on Sept. 17, 1973, was 3 when she disappeared. She lived alone with her mother, Janet Gail Carter, who was employed with an insurance company in Birmingham. Both disappeared at the same time. Janet Carter and Christina’s father had gotten divorced two months before, and Christina’s father was seeking custody of the child. According to The Charley Project, Janet Carter was dating a married man at the time of her disappearance, and said she was going on a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains with him.

Less than a month later, on Oct. 7, Janet Carter’s nude, bound body was found inside a duffel bag on Clingmans Dome Road in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. She had been killed by suffocation the same day she was found, but her remains were not identified for a month. It was then that authorities realized Christina was missing. An extensive search of the park failed to turn up Christina. Authorities have surmised that Janet Carter may have given Christina to someone else to care for prior to her murder and that Christina might still be alive. Janet Carter’s murder was never solved and there has been no sign of Christina since 1973.

Gone without a trace? Misery, mystery linger in these Alabama missing child cases

D3LFE2VUGBFNRJDEDB6RITSNCE.JPG

I knew Janet Gail (Calhoun) Carter in Winston-Salem when she was just Janet Calhoun. We went out a couple of times when I was in high school. She was constantly fighting with her parents – what teen ager doesn’t.

One of my friends told me about her body being found in the Smoky Mountains at the time it happened. That was 8 or nine years after the last time I saw her. This has been hanging around in the back of my mind all of these years.

I was watching a Dateline story last week about a body that was found and wasn’t identified for about 20 years. That reminded me of Janet’s story. Until I started looking on line, I did not realize that she had a child and that she went missing at the same time. It seems like the police and FBI need reminding that this case is still unsolved. It seems possible that there could be a resolution even after all of this time. To my way of thinking, here are the steps that should be taken.

1. If the evidence is still available, the bag and any other collected evidence, it should be tested for DNA. At the least, it should go back through a crime lab and be looked at with today’s technology. If she was raped, there could be traces of semen in the bag. If there is, the DNA should be submitted to CODIS. It could also be compared to DNA from relatives of the married man she was seeing.

2. Janet’s body should be exhumed and her DNA recovered. This is the only DNA that could be reliably matched to her child. The DNA from the father is not the best evidence since there is a possibility that he was not the sperm donor. There could also be traces of skin from her murderer under her nails even after all of this time.

3. Janet’s DNA should be submitted to the DNA ancestry sites to see if there are any familial matches. This is the most likely way to find out if Christina Carter is still alive if she or any of her children have submitted DNA for ancestry tracing. I know it’s a longshot, but if Christina is alive and believes that she was adopted, then she might be looking for relatives.

If this is a matter of resources, I am willing to pay for the DNA testing. Even though this is an old, cold case, we owe it to Janet to find her murderer and find her missing child. This is a tragedy that needs resolution.

I knew Janet Gail (Calhoun) Carter in Winston-Salem when she was just Janet Calhoun. We went out a couple of times when I was in high school. She was constantly fighting with her parents – what teen ager doesn’t.

One of my friends told me about her body being found in the Smoky Mountains at the time it happened. That was 8 or nine years after the last time I saw her. This has been hanging around in the back of my mind all of these years.

I was watching a Dateline story last week about a body that was found and wasn’t identified for about 20 years. That reminded me of Janet’s story. Until I started looking on line, I did not realize that she had a child and that she went missing at the same time. It seems like the police and FBI need reminding that this case is still unsolved. It seems possible that there could be a resolution even after all of this time. To my way of thinking, here are the steps that should be taken.

1. If the evidence is still available, the bag and any other collected evidence, it should be tested for DNA. At the least, it should go back through a crime lab and be looked at with today’s technology. If she was raped, there could be traces of semen in the bag. If there is, the DNA should be submitted to CODIS. It could also be compared to DNA from relatives of the married man she was seeing.

2. Janet’s body should be exhumed and her DNA recovered. This is the only DNA that could be reliably matched to her child. The DNA from the father is not the best evidence since there is a possibility that he was not the sperm donor. There could also be traces of skin from her murderer under her nails even after all of this time.

3. Janet’s DNA should be submitted to the DNA ancestry sites to see if there are any familial matches. This is the most likely way to find out if Christina Carter is still alive if she or any of her children have submitted DNA for ancestry tracing. I know it’s a longshot, but if Christina is alive and believes that she was adopted, then she might be looking for relatives.

If this is a matter of resources, I am willing to pay for the DNA testing. Even though this is an old, cold case, we owe it to Janet to find her murderer and find her missing child. This is a tragedy that needs resolution.
ITA!!
Yesterday, —I have been re-reading “Finding Sharon” again...
There are,so much unanswered questions,..however..,he (MB) did mention Christina Lynn Carter in his book.
There aren’t much updates or podcast about her..just some main details and post in this thread,yet unverified,till this day..

So Matt, —if you out there .. & reading,just to let you know,..it still haunts me...
FDF is alive,—no secrets taken in his grave! (yet!!)

No family should ever have to face that!
That sicking wondering...

ETA:
MP-AL - #MP2684 - Christina Lynn Carter - Hueytown, AL - 17 Sep 1973 - Newspapers.com
MP-AL - #MP2684 - Christina Lynn Carter - Hueytown, AL - 17 Sep 1973 - Newspapers.com

Last edited:

;) I agree with you.
I think FBI knew who was the responsible of Janet's death and Christy's disappearance, but he was very well protected by other members of LE. Reading some of the articles, you see they even made public the name of the "special friend" who was the last person who talked to her: Jerry Riley, a policeman of Hueytown.
Someone even mentioned his wife gave him an alibi... You don't need an alibi if you aren't a suspect, so I suppose he was questioned about his whereabouts when Janet and Christina disappeared.
However, as I read he died years ago... May his wife finally say the truth about that day?1658229208824.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25 2022 Erica Thomas
1669434428209.png

1669434701684.png
''HUEYTOWN – Hueytown Police continue to receive tips about a cold case from the 1970s. A three-year-old child was last seen in Hueytown on Sept 17, 1973, but her mother was found dead less than a month later on the Tennessee-North Carolina line.''

No one was ever arrested in the death of Janet Carter, and police cleared her boyfriend as a suspect. Investigators never released his name but said he has since died.''

''Technology has improved since the 1970s, and Yarbrough said advancements often lead to solving cold cases.

“A lot of times it is the new technology, DNA, because some of that stuff didn’t exist like it does now,” Yarbrough explained. “There are new ways to extract those things, and sometimes witnesses or offenders come forward and decide they want to tell their story.”

''If you have information on Christina Lynn Carter, you are asked to call the Hueytown Police Department at (205) 491-3587.''

Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 29, 1970
Height and Weight: 3'2, 30 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. At the time of her disappearance, Carter wore a toddler's size 3 and walked pigeon-toed. Her nickname is Christy.

Details of Disappearance

Christina was last seen in Hueytown, Alabama on September 17, 1973. At the time of her disappearance, she lived alone with her mother, Janet Gail Carter. Janet was originally from Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She was employed with an insurance company in Birmingham, Alabama in September 1973. She disappeared at the same time as her daughter. Janet and Christina's father had divorced two months before, and Christina's father was seeking custody of the child. It was believed that Janet went into hiding with Christina as a result.

On October 7, Janet's nude, bound body was found inside a duffel bag alongside Clingman's Dome Road in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. She had been killed by suffocation the same day she was found. Her remains were not identified for a month. It was after the identification that authorities realized Christina was missing. An extensive search of the park turned up no indication of Christina's whereabouts.

Because of the circumstances, authorities suggested Janet gave Christina to someone else to care for prior to her murder and Christina might still be alive. This theory has never been confirmed, however. Janet's murder has never been solved and there has been no sign of Christina since 1973.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/carter_chris
What about the ex?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat