NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

20 odd years earlier and many miles, but this woman also paid a terrible price after she placed a newspaper ad, any chance it is the same perp with similar MO? complete speculation, imo, fwiw..

I’m just thinking that newspapers were probably good reference starting points for crime in the pre net days. We had some people following the obit column once and stealing from the homes while services were going on at a church.

I think I mentioned earlier that I’m kind of so so on the paper clipping being brought by the killer since it was pretty common for people to save clips of their own ads to proof.

I’m really surprised that no one has linked this case to the Eastburn murders case in Fayetteville, NC. Both women put an ad in the classified ad, and received strange anonymous phone calls before their death. They both had a husband stationed in the military away at the time, and although Beverly’s husband was stationed in Germany, Kathryn Eastburn and her family were preparing to be relocated to Germany.

Both women each had a 2 year old at the time who was at home when the murder occurred and left alive. Beverly and Kathryn were also reportedly raped and stabbed to death. I suppose since Kathryn died in 1985, and the alleged killer, Timothy Hennis was on trial for her murder and her 2 daughters in 1986, there wasn’t much follow up between the two cases. Unpopular opinion, but I don’t believe Timothy Hennis murdered anyone and there was some untested DNA evidence left at the crime scene that reportedly didn’t match Hennis. Perphaps this could lead to more evidence for the two cases.
Not sure how you can explain away the state crime lab results which showed with 12,000 million to one certainty that the semen from the swab belonged to Hennis.

There’s some cases on WS that I think about often and this is surely one of them. I’ve posted about several things with this case that I wish I understood better. We see dated cases get figured out often so I’ll keep looking for that here.
Yes, quite right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Not sure how you can explain away the state crime lab results which showed with 12,000 million to one certainty that the semen from the swab belonged to Hennis.
I think there is also an eyewitness account as well as dna match that was collected from Katherine. Yes, I read about that there were several other unknown dna s found that was collected from the house, but not on the victim.

Yes, quite right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts
And also, I keep thinking about her opening the back door..apparently, according to little 2 year old, she looked into the peephole,why did she opened the backdoor??
In my opinion 2 year old can not tell that his mother could not see anybody and opened the door, my question is what made her actually open the door?
What's your opinion on that?

I’m just thinking that newspapers were probably good reference starting points for crime in the pre net days. We had some people following the obit column once and stealing from the homes while services were going on at a church.

I think I mentioned earlier that I’m kind of so so on the paper clipping being brought by the killer since it was pretty common for people to save clips of their own ads to proof.
Why is it beverley jaye potter mintz murder suspect 's DNA not put Othram?

I think the address is floating in one of these reports linked. Welcome to the site and im glad to have someone who knows the local area in this discussion.
I know I'm very late with my reply here but thanks so much. I find myself coming back to this case time and time again, and being related to someone who unfortunately fell victim to a separate unsolved murder of Brunswick County, this case correlates with me pretty hard and has bothered me ever since I first read about it a couple of years ago. I just want to know as much about it as I possibly can but it's sad to see that not very much progress has been made over the years.

I know I'm very late with my reply here but thanks so much. I find myself coming back to this case time and time again, and being related to someone who unfortunately fell victim to a separate unsolved murder of Brunswick County, this case correlates with me pretty hard and has bothered me ever since I first read about it a couple of years ago. I just want to know as much about it as I possibly can but it's sad to see that not very much progress has been made over the years.

I’m sorry about your experience with a similar situation. However I’m glad to have someone else in this discussion that knows the area.

2021 rbbm repost.
1684534742765.png
''In 2000, Jaye’s story was featured in USA Today and hundreds of law enforcement officers across the country called Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office, saying they were dealing with a similar murder. Lieutenant West told Dateline that possible connections to these murders were investigated and while several women were murdered in a similar way, no evidence led to the killer.

At this time, there are persons of interest in Jaye’s murder, according to Lt. West, but no one has been publicly named.''

''She made her way to the bedroom where she discovered her daughter’s bound body on the waterbed. Jaye had been stabbed to death.

According to Lieutenant Israel West with the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office, Jaye had been raped, stabbed repeatedly and her throat had been slashed.''

''About a week before Jaye’s murder, Angela walked by her room and noticed that she seemed upset.
“She was lying on her bed and I asked her if everything was OK,” Angela explained. “She told me she had a dream about a strange man trying to kill her.''

''He is hoping the test results on DNA collected at the scene will eventually lead to some answers with the help of advancements in DNA technology.''

I'm new to this case, but have a few thoughts to share, if I may. If the younger son's account is accurate, the perpetrator might have been a delivery driver of some sort (or posing as one). There may have been just enough time lapse between the knock, and her answering the door, for the perpetrator to hide just out of view, until the door was open. A delivery driver would not likely arouse suspicion with anyone casually glancing that way.
The reference to the peculiar knot-tying could be explained by military service, or past work experience with a marina.
The perpetrator may have been a regular customer at the restaurant where Beverly worked. That would give him opportunity to become familiar with her dates, habits, schedule, etc. He could be the quiet one, who just blends in with the furniture.
Has that son ever undergone hypnosis with a forensic sketch artist? Forgive me if any of these ideas have already been mentioned or disproven.

I'm new to this case, but have a few thoughts to share, if I may. If the younger son's account is accurate, the perpetrator might have been a delivery driver of some sort (or posing as one). There may have been just enough time lapse between the knock, and her answering the door, for the perpetrator to hide just out of view, until the door was open. A delivery driver would not likely arouse suspicion with anyone casually glancing that way.
The reference to the peculiar knot-tying could be explained by military service, or past work experience with a marina.
The perpetrator may have been a regular customer at the restaurant where Beverly worked. That would give him opportunity to become familiar with her dates, habits, schedule, etc. He could be the quiet one, who just blends in with the furniture.
Has that son ever undergone hypnosis with a forensic sketch artist? Forgive me if any of these ideas have already been mentioned or disproven.

I don't think "delivery men" were as prevalent back then as they are today. People mostly bought in stores and if not I believe most packages were still handled by the post office.
Maintenance man of some sort would be more realistic, I think.

In any way, I don't think that the killer used a specific ruse. I think he simply stepped aside, so she couldn't see him through the peephole and she opened because she thought the person was familiar as they were at the backdoor. She might have also just opened because the killer was there for the waterbed and she wanted to explain in a kind way that it was already sold.

I don't think "delivery men" were as prevalent back then as they are today. People mostly bought in stores and if not I believe most packages were still handled by the post office.
Maintenance man of some sort would be more realistic, I think.

In any way, I don't think that the killer used a specific ruse. I think he simply stepped aside, so she couldn't see him through the peephole and she opened because she thought the person was familiar as they were at the backdoor. She might have also just opened because the killer was there for the waterbed and she wanted to explain in a kind way that it was already sold.
Those are good points. Had the actual purchaser of the waterbed been instructed to come around to the back door?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back