CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have personally never really noticed a dramatic kick up or uneven gait. I suppose police are experts? And they have undoubtedly watched the tapes in slow motion. Remembering too that they have a lot more footage of the NW than we have seen….

Still, I’ve wondered: could it be due to purposefully-oversized footwear (the better to mask my footprints, my dear), or a deliberate gait alteration (the better to mask my identity, my dear), or simply a response to slippery conditions (the better to survive Canadian winters, my dear).

Regardless, I agree with the comments that have been made about the NW likely being local. They appear to walk a long way, on a circuitous route, in the dark, and with confidence, ease and purpose— and most likely without consulting a map. That isn’t easy if you are in a strange location, even if you have memorized a route (especially if you’ve just murdered two people??). MOO.

I have personally never really noticed a dramatic kick up or uneven gait. I suppose police are experts? And they have undoubtedly watched the tapes in slow motion. Remembering too that they have a lot more footage of the NW than we have seen….

Still, I’ve wondered: could it be due to purposefully-oversized footwear (the better to mask my footprints, my dear), or a deliberate gait alteration (the better to mask my identity, my dear), or simply a response to slippery conditions (the better to survive Canadian winters, my dear).

Regardless, I agree with the comments that have been made about the NW likely being local. They appear to walk a long way, on a circuitous route, in the dark, and with confidence, ease and purpose— and most likely without consulting a map. That isn’t easy if you are in a strange location, even if you have memorized a route (especially if you’ve just murdered two people??). MOO.
Regarding the NW being local.
Recently we had some guests from overseas (a northern climate) staying with us. On the second day they set out for a long afternoon/evening walk to a plaza. They had never been to our suburban community before and only had minimal language fluency, yet they had no trouble reaching their destination and returning after about four hours. They had a GPS app on their phone.

I believe the NW was not necessarily a local, and could have traversed the Old Colony neighborhood quite easily by previously, inspecting the planned route, or having a map, or using GPS. His confidence and ease in walking were likely based on his thorough preparation. MOO

Deug transcribed these interesting interviews with KD last year:

“05:27
Donovan:
Well, the only theory I've been able to publish that the police say on the record is that a mysterious man that has been dubbed 'the walking man', who's a fellow between 5'6" and 5'9", is seen in the area of the Sherman home at precisely the time of the murders, which would be sort of around between 9 and 10 o'clock on the Wednesday night that they're killed. Uh this person is picked up on video, uh the police have scoured the universe to see who the person is, but they can't find anybody who knew who he was, so they've decided that this person is the killer, or one of the killers, or a lookout. That's the only theory.

The police have also said that, you know, that they believe there's a financial side to this crime, which is not surprising, given that they're billionaires, and then they've also talked about the estate of Barry and Honey Sherman and how that is part of the case. They won't say if it's because of somebody who benefitted from the estate, or somebody who thought they would and didn't benefit. Again, you know, the more I learn about this, and I've been pretty active in doing stories for The Star on this, the more questions are raised from what I dig up.
[…]
The problem is, as I've discovered recently, it's not like in the movies where you just fly over to ‘Country X’ and talk to the local detective - you've gotta go through Ottawa to make a request to the foreign jurisdiction, and that takes time. I'm getting a sense that, that we'll be having, if you'll have me, this conversation again in a year because they'll move the ball forward, but they're really having a hard time. I've written recently that the police do have a theory beyond the walking man. They, I believe they have a theory of the person or persons who did this, but they are completely, at this stage, unable to prove it, and so that's why they're going in search of other information.”

From another KD interview:

“11:50 KD: They haven’t said that he’s a hitman and I personally believe that - and you know, what do I know, I’m just a reporter - but I personally believe that the person who wanted Barry and Honey dead, or the people that wanted them dead, did it themselves. I’ve never believed in the theory of the mysterious overseas hitman. But the police are focused on the ‘walking man’ because Barry and Honey are both home by nine o’clock on that Wednesday evening. Honey’s home at eight o’clock, Barry’s home by nine, and they’re killed pretty soon after that. Canvas by the police of the neighbourhood - eventually, when they get around to doing it - they go through and they see ‘Person X’ out walking their dog, ‘Person Y’, you know, get in their car and drive to a store, and they figure out those people aren’t involved. And they find this one individual – somebody between the height of five feet six and five foot nine – walking in the area of the Sherman home, coming right up to the Sherman home, you know, appearing in a video that shows a person is getting close to the Sherman home, then he disappears, ‘cause there’s no video coverage, and then he reappears about an hour later and proceeds east, away from the Sherman home. That’s their reason for thinking this person is suspicious, and sure, it is suspicious.”

KD recently wrote that the Shermans were killed between 8:00 pm -10:00 pm. In his documentary he said Honey was home at 8:20. KD said his timeline is subject to change as it’s based on what his sources have told him, but maybe the WM arrived at the home before Honey?

From his interview above it makes it sound like the WM approached the house from the west, possibly going out of cctv range in front of their door (a possible camera blind spot) then reappeared at around 10:00 pm in the same area and continued eastbound, imo.

The basement door being used is still a possibility, as it was on the west side of the home in the back. The only thing I’d question is whether the front gate he’d have to pass through was unlocked. (But there was also a short fence between the Shermans’ home and their neighbours’ home on the west side.)

4884C3A9-2D6F-48A0-ADDC-2D7E26873F5C.jpeg
Photo from Getty images.

Deug transcribed these interesting interviews with KD last year:

“05:27
Donovan:
Well, the only theory I've been able to publish that the police say on the record is that a mysterious man that has been dubbed 'the walking man', who's a fellow between 5'6" and 5'9", is seen in the area of the Sherman home at precisely the time of the murders, which would be sort of around between 9 and 10 o'clock on the Wednesday night that they're killed. Uh this person is picked up on video, uh the police have scoured the universe to see who the person is, but they can't find anybody who knew who he was, so they've decided that this person is the killer, or one of the killers, or a lookout. That's the only theory.

The police have also said that, you know, that they believe there's a financial side to this crime, which is not surprising, given that they're billionaires, and then they've also talked about the estate of Barry and Honey Sherman and how that is part of the case. They won't say if it's because of somebody who benefitted from the estate, or somebody who thought they would and didn't benefit. Again, you know, the more I learn about this, and I've been pretty active in doing stories for The Star on this, the more questions are raised from what I dig up.
[…]
The problem is, as I've discovered recently, it's not like in the movies where you just fly over to ‘Country X’ and talk to the local detective - you've gotta go through Ottawa to make a request to the foreign jurisdiction, and that takes time. I'm getting a sense that, that we'll be having, if you'll have me, this conversation again in a year because they'll move the ball forward, but they're really having a hard time. I've written recently that the police do have a theory beyond the walking man. They, I believe they have a theory of the person or persons who did this, but they are completely, at this stage, unable to prove it, and so that's why they're going in search of other information.”

From another KD interview:

“11:50 KD: They haven’t said that he’s a hitman and I personally believe that - and you know, what do I know, I’m just a reporter - but I personally believe that the person who wanted Barry and Honey dead, or the people that wanted them dead, did it themselves. I’ve never believed in the theory of the mysterious overseas hitman. But the police are focused on the ‘walking man’ because Barry and Honey are both home by nine o’clock on that Wednesday evening. Honey’s home at eight o’clock, Barry’s home by nine, and they’re killed pretty soon after that. Canvas by the police of the neighbourhood - eventually, when they get around to doing it - they go through and they see ‘Person X’ out walking their dog, ‘Person Y’, you know, get in their car and drive to a store, and they figure out those people aren’t involved. And they find this one individual – somebody between the height of five feet six and five foot nine – walking in the area of the Sherman home, coming right up to the Sherman home, you know, appearing in a video that shows a person is getting close to the Sherman home, then he disappears, ‘cause there’s no video coverage, and then he reappears about an hour later and proceeds east, away from the Sherman home. That’s their reason for thinking this person is suspicious, and sure, it is suspicious.”

KD recently wrote that the Shermans were killed between 8:00 pm -10:00 pm. In his documentary he said Honey was home at 8:20. KD said his timeline is subject to change as it’s based on what his sources have told him, but maybe the WM arrived at the home before Honey?

From his interview above it makes it sound like the WM approached the house from the west, possibly going out of cctv range in front of their door (a possible camera blind spot) then reappeared at around 10:00 pm in the same area and continued eastbound, imo.

The basement door being used is still a possibility, as it was on the west side of the home in the back. The only thing I’d question is whether the front gate he’d have to pass through was unlocked. (But there was also a short fence between the Shermans’ home and their neighbours’ home on the west side.)

View attachment 465434
Photo from Getty images.
@Lexiintoronto thank you for going to the effort of finding @deugirtni’s posts (RIP) and quoting them. These quotes give me a bit more hope that the police really do have a theory beyond the WM.

@Lexiintoronto thank you for going to the effort of finding @deugirtni’s posts (RIP) and quoting them. These quotes give me a bit more hope that the police really do have a theory beyond the WM.

I was worried about the same thing.

KD has always seemed focused on JS, which involves the second most obvious theory, imo. But, except for Barry’s loans coming from Sherfam, what did JS have to do with Sherfam? Unless it’s something that has evolved. I mean, why the warrant to search Sherfam in 2022 as opposed to 2018?

One of my old theories is that the killer benefited or embezzled from Sherfam and once Barry started to discharge Sherfam loans and investments in 2017 someone was either found out or they were about to be discovered. Similar to that investment in yachts that never actually existed.

Possibly unrelated, but this is one possible example of Sherfam funds going towards a project that doesn’t compute, imo. I’ve never understood the two last loans that AP & JS asked Barry/Sherfam for.

“On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities.

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?””

Last edited:
I was worried about the same thing.

KD has always seemed focused on JS, which involves the second most obvious theory, imo. But, except for Barry’s loans coming from Sherfam, what did JS have to do with Sherfam? Unless it’s something that has evolved. I mean, why the warrant to search Sherfam in 2022 as opposed to 2018?

One of my old theories is that the killer benefited or embezzled from Sherfam and once Barry started to discharge Sherfam loans and investments in 2017 someone was either found out or they were about to be discovered. Similar to that investment in yachts that never actually existed.

Possibly unrelated, but this is one possible example of Sherfam funds going towards a project that doesn’t compute, imo. I’ve never understood the two last loans that AP & JS asked Barry/Sherfam for.

“On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities.

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?””

I've never understood this as Barry asked/demanded they take out mortgages for $50 to $60 million so why would they ask for more?

Understatement!
rbbm
''At 66, Barry Sherman likes to boast that he’ll work another 40 years. But if he died suddenly—and there is a history of unexpected death in his familyhe’d leave behind a huge fortune, as well as vast problems. Just in case, he’s thinking of strengthening management and considering his options—including the possibility of going public and giving away much of his personal wealth. He and Honey like to believe that Apotex will continue as an influential Canadian company for generations, whoever runs it.''

I've never understood this as Barry asked/demanded they take out mortgages for $50 to $60 million so why would they ask for more?

I get the sense that Barry had lunch with AP and Barry agreed to cover ‘cash needs’ in the interim as he stopped funding them, but was surprised when it turned out to be $6.2 million that they needed within days, then even more by January 15th. (Speculation.)

Barry did that a few times, as we know. He’d fund businesses for people, recall the loans at some point but give them an allowance to keep them afloat.

That may explain why he was paying JS’s and Kaelen S’s bills. He may have been reigning them in but told them he’d pay their immediate expenses. (And we haven’t heard that he was paying the bills for the two other Sherman daughters.)

I don't believe JS and AP took Barry Sherman seriously when it came to money. From what i understand, Barry found out that JS and AP had lied about what the various Green storage buildings cost. He found out that he had paid 50 to 60 million more than they were worth.
JS talks to Barry about how successful he and AP are. Meanwhile he doesn't even pay one cent toward the two babies born through surrogacy.
The first email BS received on the 13th the day he was murdered was from JS reminding BS to pay the balance owing to the surrogate company for he and Fred's babies.
Did he know that BS wouldn't be able to pay anything after the 13th.

I get the sense that Barry had lunch with AP and Barry agreed to cover ‘cash needs’ in the interim as he stopped funding them, but was surprised when it turned out to be $6.2 million that they needed within days, then even more by January 15th. (Speculation.)

Barry did that a few times, as we know. He’d fund businesses for people, recall the loans at some point but give them an allowance to keep them afloat.

That may explain why he was paying JS’s and Kaelen S’s bills. He may have been reigning them in but told them he’d pay their immediate expenses. (And we haven’t heard that he was paying the bills for the two other Sherman daughters.)
I thought it was interesting that the $6.2 million was needed by December 15th

I thought it was interesting that the $6.2 million was needed by December 15th
Wondering if maybe the hockey arena was quietly in the works and the money was needed to get the puck rolling so to speak? speculation, imo, rbbm

''On Nov. 16, Barry writes to Jonathon and Paulin, copying Alex Glasenberg, Sherfam’s chief financial officer. Subject line: Arranging mortgages. “We might have to pay the 580 million judgment in January,” Barry writes. “We thus need to take steps to improve liquidity, in case needed. I thus request that you discuss with Alex and arrange first mortgages to enable repaying 50-60 million to (Sherfam) if possible. Please do within weeks.” Barry adds, “I am certain we will be able to advance further substantial funds to you, if wanted for further investments, beginning in 2019.”

On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities.

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”

Paulin replies to Barry, copying Glasenberg and Jonathon: “Hi Barry, Yes, we are restarting these conversations with the banks to get this sorted out as soon as possible.” Adam says it will take “time and money” to get “appraisals” and arrange the bank mortgages, particularly as it is the holiday season, adding “the requested ($6.2 million) funds should get us through until financing is available.”

The Sherfam warrant could relate to anything AG and Sherfam helped facilitate….

from loans to JS & AP;

to liquidity to fund judgment/house build/money to Honey/money to MS;

to planned charitable gifts;

to estate planning …

This is interesting and not surprising. When did Barry find this out? Do you have more details or sources?
From what i was told, BS and HS belonged to Oakdale country club. The original owner of the All City Storage on Cherry St also was a member. He sold the the building to JS and AP to become a Green Storage. Somehow it came out that he sold the building to them for 30 million not 50 million. BS had someone look into the other purchases and found that most cost less than the money they asked for.
I thought Kevin D wrote about it a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraJean1130