CANADA Canada - Madison Scott, 20, Vanderhoof, BC, 27 May 2011

From article dated Dec 14, 2023

Snipped...
...Cpl. Madonna Saunderson issued the following statement on behalf of the E-Division’s Major Crimes Unit:

“This is an active and ongoing matter and while very little can be said at this time, we do not believe there is any further risk to public safety. Regardless of the amount of time that has passed, investigations that remain open are considered active. We are mindful of what information is released, in any investigation, in order to maintain the integrity and that the investigation is not compromised. More information may be released as it becomes available.”

JUSTICE FOR MADDY!!!

Less than one month until the 13th anniversary of Madison's disappearance!
>>>>> JUSTICE FOR MADDY!!! <<<<<
Hopefully LE have some sort of announcement/update planned for the anniversary. Even if it’s just a status update on the investigation, “we’re collecting evidence on a person of interest” etc etc.
all imo.

''Madison Scott investigation remains active​

Vanderhoof

2024-05-28 07:45 PDT

The investigation into Madison Scott’s disappearance has been led by the BC RCMP Major Crime -Section Special Projects Unit in support of the Vanderhoof RCMP. The investigation remains active and ongoing. Police need further help to find justice for Madison Scott and her family.

Thirteen years ago, Madison disappeared from Hogsback Lake where she was celebrating a friend’s birthday. Early in the investigation, police determined that it was out of character for Madison not to be in contact with her family and/or friends. Foul play was suspected. Tragically, Madison’s remains were located on a rural property in Vanderhoof one year ago. Investigators appreciate the public’s interest in the case and hope to provide further details in the future, however, no further information can be released at this time in order to maintain the integrity of the investigation.

Madison Scott

Family say Madison was a vibrant, free-spirited, loyal and kind individual who immersed herself in family, friends, hockey, softball and photography. This past April was Madison’s birthday. She would have been 33 years old.

On their ‘Justice for Maddy’ Facebook account, the Scott family posted a message to commemorate the day and thank the public. The significance of this year is that it is approaching one year since her remains were discovered. While finding Maddy has yielded some relief, it has since generated many other questions that remain unsolved. It is challenging to comprehend the varying emotions that we experienced at that time. Once again, the community was there to stabilize our family as we processed the unexpected information. We are forever grateful for the ongoing love and support we have had over the last 13 years. We are unwavering in our belief that justice will be obtained.

The RCMP and Scott family are again asking for the public’s help in solving Madison’s disappearance. Should you have any NEW information regarding her disappearance, please call the RCMP at 778-290-5291, 1-877-543-4822 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

The Scott family continues to offer a $100,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and laying of charge(s) of individual(s) responsible for Madison’s disappearance.

Released by

Cpl. Madonna Saunderson''

RCMP seeking new information in Madison Scott case

The Vanderhoof woman vanished 13 years ago; her body was found in 2023
CItizen staffabout 16 hours ago
  • Share via Text Message
madisonscott2

Madison Scott.Submitted
Listen to this article
00:02:10

A year after the body of a missing Vanderhoof woman was found, the RCMP is reminding the public that the case is active and new information is welcome.
Madison Scott disappeared on May 27, 2011, when she was 20. She had been at a friend's birthday party and camp-out at Hogsback Lake when she vanished, leaving her tent and vehicle behind.

Foul play was suspected. "Early in the investigation, police determined that it was out of character for Madison not to be in contact with her family and/or friends," states an update from the BC RCMP Major Crime Section Special Projects Unit.
Her body was found on a rural property in Vanderhoof one year ago, sparking renewed public interest in the case.
"Investigators appreciate the public’s interest in the case and hope to provide further details in the future, however, no further information can be released at this time in order to maintain the integrity of the investigation," RCMP state.
  • The Scott family offers a $100,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and laying of charges.
  • Anyone with new information regarding her disappearance is asked to call the RCMP at 778-290-5291, 1-877-543-4822 or, anonymously, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
On their Justice for Maddy Facebook page, the Scott family posted a message to commemorate the day and thank the public. The significance of this year is that it is approaching one year since her remains were discovered. While finding Maddy has yielded some relief, it has since generated many other questions that remain unsolved. It is challenging to comprehend the varying emotions that we experienced at that time. Once again, the community was there to stabilize our family as we processed the unexpected information. We are forever grateful for the ongoing love and support we have had over the last 13 years. We are unwavering in our belief that justice will be obtained.

I find it a bit much that LE has asked “seeking new information from the public” there are 2 people who know exactly what happened and probably 5 or 6 that can help piece it together. LE knows these peoples addresses and there associates. At this point do they think some magic tip is going to come in on crime stoppers ?

I find it a bit much that LE has asked “seeking new information from the public” there are 2 people who know exactly what happened and probably 5 or 6 that can help piece it together. LE knows these peoples addresses and there associates. At this point do they think some magic tip is going to come in on crime stoppers ?

Seems there are many similiar cases in the west --- "Big Ben kids, parliment"...MOO.

It reads like maybe they’re hoping one of those 5 or 6 might come forward with some new information that could be the nail in the coffin for the perpetrator(s), or potentially another witness who may have seen something that proves integral in building a case.
Either way it sounds like right now LE certainly don’t have enough evidence to build (or at least prosecute) a case.
Just imo.

Vanderhoof has been quiet. Life goes on as normal for the town. As for the 2 people in question, i would pretty much bet my life that they could keep a secret. There would be no 5 or 6 others that could out them, if indeed there was anything to out them with. I saw their father the other day at the grocery store by himself which is funny actually because the rumour mill is abound with the fact that he has early dementia...who knows....but he was by himself which is extremely rare being one son was always with him....so, where the boys are now, i have no idea and have not seen them in town.

Vanderhoof has been quiet. Life goes on as normal for the town. As for the 2 people in question, i would pretty much bet my life that they could keep a secret. There would be no 5 or 6 others that could out them, if indeed there was anything to out them with. I saw their father the other day at the grocery store by himself which is funny actually because the rumour mill is abound with the fact that he has early dementia...who knows....but he was by himself which is extremely rare being one son was always with him....so, where the boys are now, i have no idea and have not seen them in town.
Thank you for the local perspective, always interesting!

I'm new to this thread, bear with me as I'm not super versed in all the details but was following this years ago a bit. I am going to try to find any articles stating how much (or little) of that huge property was searched.

I also wonder about legalities... I would think if human remains were found on anyone's property LE would easily get a search warrant or ask permission to search ENTIRE property but that would be a huge undertaking and unsure if any MSM articles mentioned a huge search happenng. Going to look...

ETA: From MSM 2023

In a statement released Monday (May 29), the RCMP said they are currently executing a search warrant at the property and the area has been secured and additional resources are anticipated to be on the scene for as long as may be required.

Last edited:
It reads like maybe they’re hoping one of those 5 or 6 might come forward with some new information that could be the nail in the coffin for the perpetrator(s), or potentially another witness who may have seen something that proves integral in building a case.
Either way it sounds like right now LE certainly don’t have enough evidence to build (or at least prosecute) a case.
Just imo.
I hope some media attention might get some people to start panicking or paranoid... I feel like it's been fairly quiet in the media though. That can be a good sign too if LE keeping things close to the vest.

I noticed in the article it says:

"Police provided no details, saying only that they were now serving a search warrant on the property. For more than three weeks, RCMP cruisers, unmarked trucks, and a white tent canopy were visible from a gravel road near the property."

So they were there for 3+ weeks searching sounds like. I hope they found something, anything to get things moving!

Of course, police and anyone else who knows the inside scoop, knows exactly what you're saying. IMO, they are not silly, they are not engaged in magical thinking.

They just can't go and extract a confession out of anyone, they can't pry mouths open and force them to talk. So they they say the standard thing, because a. it is true and b. it gives nothing away about what they know or suspect.

And, after all, the tip did come in about finding remains. Someone could have hidden it away, and not called in police.

JMO

Of course, police and anyone else who knows the inside scoop, knows exactly what you're saying. IMO, they are not silly, they are not engaged in magical thinking.

They just can't go and extract a confession out of anyone, they can't pry mouths open and force them to talk. So they they say the standard thing, because a. it is true and b. it gives nothing away about what they know or suspect.

And, after all, the tip did come in about finding remains. Someone could have hidden it away, and not called in police.

JMO
2 of the last people at the party … remains found on their family property. What do you need a confession for?

2 of the last people at the party … remains found on their family property. What do you need a confession for?
They need evidence that will win the case in court. They're playing a longer term game: life in prison. Not a brief arrest and then forced to let them go for lack of evidence.

JMO

I am so curious how long the remains have been there. Since the beginning or moved around or recent? It's been so long since she was missing :(

Too long probably to detemine COD (unless obvious like gunshot or broken bones).

And sorry if already discussed/mentioned - It seems rings were removed to deter identification when she was found since everyone seemed to easily identify them as hers.

I feel like only an experienced killer would do that (serial kinda thing) or someone who knew her or knew of her or shared friends/association. Otherwise, most random crimes don't go through the trouble or really think of it while in the heat of the moment. That was an after thought or a premeditated thought.

JMO MOO

I am so curious how long the remains have been there. Since the beginning or moved around or recent? It's been so long since she was missing :(

Too long probably to detemine COD (unless obvious like gunshot or broken bones).

And sorry if already discussed/mentioned - It seems rings were removed to deter identification when she was found since everyone seemed to easily identify them as hers.

I feel like only an experienced killer would do that (serial kinda thing) or someone who knew her or knew of her or shared friends/association. Otherwise, most random crimes don't go through the trouble or really think of it while in the heat of the moment. That was an after thought or a premeditated thought.

JMO MOO
She was found "by accident" by the boys father. All three lived on the property at the time she went missing. One moved away a few years ago, leaving the one and his father. Let's put it this way, the property is 160 acres.....my property is also 160 acres in the same area. People don't visit each other here...you can go for years without anyone coming by...it's not like the city. Life is quiet. No "experienced killer" needed. She may have died by mishap/accident and they got scared and buried her...just a thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holidayhouse
Back