Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to knit-pick and this doesn't make a bit of difference I'm sure.

20/20 is an ABC network show.
You are right! But on MSNBC is
where I watched it ... sorry I passed on bad info 20/20.

The date was off- not days but a whole year, February 14, 2009 was the tourny , $15 buy in and the prize was $538.00. Twice Irish will appreciate this one :)

:)

I appreciate all the information that members post. I probably should have been clearer in my earlier post regarding my interest in the tournament registration and why I was asking that question.

I was curious as to whether the poker players have to register in advance for a tournament and if you had read anything about that on the website you had found. Or if it's possible for them to just show up and buy-in. My train of thought at that time was whether Joran had registered for the tournament in Peru, and if so, if there could be a paper trail showing that was his intent. That would call into question whether he had been lured to Peru by someone and if that someone had paid for everything.

I only play online for play money so have no idea how professional tournaments operate.

Thanks though!

Sounds like my speed, I'm a donk.
I know this has nothing to do with the case ..but every time yall discuss a Donk or being a Donk ... This always is the first thing I think about ......

badonkadonk

Has anyone noticed the massive scar on Paulus' skull just below his
hairline on the left side? War wound? Auto accident? Surgery?

I looked for other images and found this. This interview was conducted in 2005 and I am looking at how his hairline looks almost shaved. I don't see a scar here, is it possible the combination of the lighting and his nervousness at the other interview caused the temporal lobe veins to stand out more?

Maybe someone else knows more.

( and there's a pic of him in his judges robes, too, quoted as one time judge in training... and no I never read the book )

http://noevidenceofacrime.com/chapter6.php?blog=17&order=ASC&posts=1&page=1&paged=92

I appreciate all the information that members post. I probably should have been clearer in my earlier post regarding my interest in the tournament registration and why I was asking that question.

I was curious as to whether the poker players have to register in advance for a tournament and if you had read anything about that on the website you had found. Or if it's possible for them to just show up and buy-in. My train of thought at that time was whether Joran had registered for the tournament in Peru, and if so, if there could be a paper trail showing that was his intent. That would call into question whether he had been lured to Peru by someone and if that someone had paid for everything.

I only play online for play money so have no idea how professional tournaments operate.

Thanks though!

From what I read JVDS did not register for the tournament yet, if he was going to play he needed to have the money to register for the rounds on June 1, by that time he was gone. So I think you do not have to preregister from what I read about him. He didn't have the money ( would have been $2700 a round and then an extra $200 ) but then again it was quoted by Harold faro, reporter in Aruba, that he was going to " railbird" and never intended to play anyway.

The pretournament meet up was May 27th and he met the players at the AC hotel, I thought this was the day they arrived and then there was a trip to Macchu Pichu that was advertised to the players. The dinner at the Rose Nautica was scheduled for June 1 and he didn't show up at the dinner, where Elton Garcia was waiting for him.

this is all I know as it pertains to the case, other than that I think you should be able to find info on how and when to register for whichever tournament it is you want :)

I found another discrepancy in the reporting of this case. It probably has no bearing in the overall picture, but I just hate it when the facts don't gel!!

A report from the main newspaper in Chile states "... the young foreigner was arrested at the height of Curacaví while traveling in a rental car to the capital , coming from Viña del Mar, in which he was staying in a guesthouse." He was captured on Thurs., June 3.

All other reports we've seen to-date say that he was traveling from Santiago by taxi...ugh!!!

http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/detalle/detallenoticias.asp?idnoticia=416897

This same newspaper also reported that the police returned with him to Viña del Mar "where he [had] spent Wednesday night, to seize [his] clothes and electronic species, but the measure [was] not successful, because the detainee forgot the address of the place where he slept."

http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/detalle/detallenoticias.asp?idnoticia=417128

These reports don't agree with VDS's confession, but do somewhat agree to what he told the PLE ... that he left his credit cards, etc. in his hotel in Chile.

My inclination is to believe the Chilean news reports since that's where it happened.

I read it that way in the beginning too. That he was travelling from Vina Del Mar to Santiago. Considering Vina Del Mar was a tourist/gambling town, and it was supposed to have hosted one of the LAPT events, it made sense to me that he would have headed there once he was in Chile. The Dutch Embassy in Chile is in Santiago and I wondered if he was attempting to get there once he realized that Interpol was involved.

Does anyone know what may have happened had he gone to the Dutch Embassy? Would they have had to turn him over to the Chilean LE?

IF this incident ever happened, Joran and his friends were minors. The guy, who is depicted as the aggressor, was an adult. HE would have been charged with assault. An adult cannot go around attempting to start physical altercations with minors.

No one here would look at this the same way if Joran wasn't involved.

I've taught high school and college kids, and if one of them threw someone off a bridge for the reason stated in the posted article, I would think he or she had committed assault. Self defense only allows sufficient fierce to stop an aggressor. As I've remarked before, the worst thing adults can do to young people (short of physical and psychological abuse) is let them get away with things that are clearly wrong, to make excuses for their antisocial behavior, to turn a blind eye to signs that something is very wrong.

Tonight on a repeat of NG, I saw the undercover video with Joran talking about one version of what happened to Natalee. How do you account for his confession in this instance (not to mention the other confessions that he was present at her death and disposed of her body)--which would have been unnecessary if her death had been an accident? How do you account for his lies or his calling Natalee terrible, derogatory names? What kind of person talks about a person who died in his presence in such derogatory terms? I'd still like to see one bit of EVIDENCE to show that anyone else killed Stephany.

I think I heard or read not sure which but I understood it to be...if he told the truth, they would have Natalee's body....if he didn't it would be extortion. I'm pretty sure they knew he wouldn't tell the truth but I would think Natalee's family was desperate to at least get Joran off the street. But I also think Beth had a little flicker of hope that he would tell the truth. I would imagine that Beth has a desperate need to bring Natalee home and to know the truth.

Yes, sadly I think that BH jumped at the chance to get Joran behind bars in the US for something...anything. It had to be very difficult for her these past 5 years, firmly believing that JVS killed her daughter and knowing that he was walking around a free man and even "bragging" about it.

I think I would have done the exact same thing in her position.

MOO

I've taught high school and college kids, and if one of them threw someone off a bridge for the reason stated in the posted article, I would think he or she had committed assault. Self defense only allows sufficient fierce to stop an aggressor. As I've remarked before, the worst thing adults can do to young people (short of physical and psychological abuse) is let them get away with things that are clearly wrong, to make excuses for their antisocial behavior, to turn a blind eye to signs that something is very wrong.

Tonight on a repeat of NG, I saw the undercover video with Joran talking about one version of what happened to Natalee. How do you account for his confession in this instance (not to mention the other confessions that he was present at her death and disposed of her body)--which would have been unnecessary if her death had been an accident? How do you account for his lies or his calling Natalee a terrible, derogatory names? What kind of person talks about a person who died in his presence in such derogatory terms? I'd still like to see one bit of EVIDENCE to show that anyone else killed Stephany.

Wasn't that the same confession where he said he wasn't even sure if she was actually dead when they threw her in the ocean? The way I look at it, if he thought that she might be alive but unconscious before throwing her into the water, miles off shore,that is actually admitting to murder.

MOO

Thanks though!

I have some thoughts on that but I think LE will see everything on the computer so even if he wasn't registered there will be a trail to who he met.

Tonight on a repeat of NG, I saw the undercover video Joran talking about one version of what happened to Natalee. How do you account for his confession in this instance (not to mention the other confessions that he was present at her death and disposed of her body)--which would have been unnecessary if her death had been an accident? How do you account for his lies or his calling Natalee a terrible, derogatory names? What kind of person talks about a person who died in his presence in such derogatory terms? I'd still like to see one bit of EVIDENCE to show that anyone else killed Stephany.
presence--and whose body he admits to hiding--in such derogatory terms?

It amazes me that people find a way to make Joran look deranged, no matter what the situation. How old was Joran when this event supposedly took place? 16? 15? Satish would not have been much older, and still probably a minor. So, we have here an adult with some kind of issues, who approaches three minors and tries to pick a fight with one. Joran defends his friend and "throws him" off a bridge, whatever that really meant. We don't know how high the bridge was, and I'm guessing it was low enough so that this guy wasn't even injured by landing in the water.

In American law, at least, no minor would be charged for assault in such a situation. An adult attempted to initiate a fight with his fellow underaged friend, and he defended him. Of course, I'm assuming for hypothetical argument's sake that this incident ever happened. I have strong doubts that it did. However, my only point was that the witness who testified to it was clearly trying to report something that he felt would make Joran look bad, but his own words really paint Joran out in a pretty positive light.

As for Joran's stories, who knows? Joran is obviously motivated by money, and each time he gave varying accounts of what happened to Natalee, he was paid to do so. He was a 17 year old kid who was accused of a crime he knew he didn't commit, and I'm sure he (and his family) couldn't help but be affected by the way he was targeted exclusively by Beth and company. I don't think he was trying to be insensitive towards Natalee, but if you believe, as I do, that Joran had nothing to do with her disappearance, you should be able to understand why he developed the attitude he did towards her mother, who loathed him and spared no opportunity to bash him and his father on American television.

As attorney Les Levine described it on JVM's show last week, there is a real lynch mob mentality in both America and Peru towards Joran. He has been so thoroughly demonized by the media, that there is no way he could ever receive a fair trial in either country.

Has anyone noticed the massive scar on Paulus' skull just below his
hairline on the left side? War wound? Auto accident? Surgery?

Looks like a skin spot or maybe he had a plate inserted into his head for whatever reason., just guessing:)

Isn't it still extortion either way? What I mean is, even if he had told the truth which led to Natalee's remains, isn't that still extortion?

Not only is it extortion either way, it was extortion at the moment he made the offer without any money exchanging hands. It's sort of like conspiracy or solicitation in that regard. So, they could have charged him just for contacting BT with a bribe.

The reason, IMHO, to exchange money was to solidify the case (JVS most definitely would say that he was "just kidding" if no money were exchanged, which would leave open the possibility that Aruba/Netherlands might refuse to extradite him). And I would guess that the remote possibility that JVS would tell them something, anything with a morsel of truth played a factor. Since his dad had recently died, I can only imagine that the discussion in Alabama included a postulation that maybe he'd implicate his dad, and say his dad told him where the body was. With JVS, that would be a long shot, but worth every penny, perhaps, if it meant justice for NH through the back door.

And, as reported, wiring some of the money was to get the extra international wire fraud charge (which has a 10-year greater sentence than the extortion) with irrefutable proof.

Wasn't that the same confession where he said he wasn't even sure if she was actually dead when they threw her in the ocean? The way I look at it, if he thought that she might be alive but unconscious before throwing her into the water, miles off shore,that is actually admitting to murder.

MOO

The problem with Joran's varying accounts is that people pick and choose which parts of them to believe. If he really is a habitual liar, then nothing he has said about the Holloway case can be relied upon as being true. Still, this doesn't stop those who desperately want him punished from selecting the parts that suit their needs.

Analyzing the stories Joran told for money is fruitless. Most people accept the "he threw her body in the ocean" story because it's the one Beth has long promoted.

I know this has nothing to do with the case ..but every time yall discuss a Donk or being a Donk ... This always is the first thing I think about ......

badonkadonk

Had to look that up.:blushing:

If you understood American law, at least, you would know that no minor would be charged for assault in such a situation.

But then again, those who believe Joran is a serial killer will fit these incidents from the past into their fimly established image of him.

Merged posts, snipped.

Now you're really being silly. EVERY minor would be charged with assault in that situation. Every last one of them. You want some case law to back that up? Let me know what state your in, and I'll pull several thousand juvenile, AND juvenile charged as adult, cases off of Westlaw or LexisNexis just from your state.

Skewed again: And, Joran's "image" in the minds of others is not a result of others' conjuring an image in a vacuum, it is the image HE firmly established of himself.

Merged posts, snipped.

Now you're really being silly. EVERY minor would be charged with assault in that situation. Every last one of them. You want some case law to back that up? Let me know what state your in, and I'll pull several thousand juvenile, AND juvenile charged as adult, cases off of Westlaw or LexisNexis just from your state.

Skewed again: And, Joran's "image" in the minds of others is not a result of others' conjuring an image in a vacuum, it is the image HE firmly established of himself.

Great post and argument Cottages. I see it everyday here in the city. Yep, Joran has always chosen the low road---in everything---and up until now has met the high road. ie: dungeon in Chile--first stop. Amazes me how people "vilify" the self expressions of a "blamer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare