NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having flashbacks to the dogs hitting on the dumpster near the Haleigh Cummings property and her body never being found.

This is such a horrible thought, I can't bear to think about it.

This is the first time I've had to pop in today and I was so hoping for some news. Haven't had time to read it all but it looks like nothing major has happened yet today.

I feel just as horrible writing this but ... they did begin treating this as a homicide investigation fairly quickly. That gives me some hope they at least have enough evidence to build a case against EB & AB.

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Two women who have spoken about the family stability involving a missing girl from Hickory now claim one of them was addicted to drugs – and that contributed to why they never directly called authorities about possible problems at the missing girl's home.
Brittany Bentley, who is married to the nephew of Elisa Baker, told WBT Radio on Wednesday that she was a drug addict and that she was sorry for not contacting the NC Department of Social Services after allegedly observing problems pertaining to Zahra Claire Baker's home life.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13324177

I thought she earlier said she did call DSS?

I didn't think you came across as preaching at all. I would not like to see this thread closed down b/c of a religious debate. This is not the place for it.

Don't know if this has been mentioned (I'm a little busy with grandsons visiting), but EB's daughter, Brittany is claiming that DSS was called 85 times since 1991 (Caldwell, Catawba and Burke counties).

I just cant see that being the case at all or she would have been removed from EBs house. Consider the date and her age. If DSS had been called out that many times reguarding her other children wouldnt common sense say they would be on top of any call concerning EB after Zahra moved in? I think DSS probley did follow up on calls but if EB was as good of a story teller as it seems she was she made everything appear to be normal. We have also heard that Zahra didnt want anyone to do or say anything bad about EB so why would she tell DSS anything bad about her either. Also following this as closely as I have been im having a hard time thinking EB is the only STORY TELLER in this very messed up family.JMHO

I think BB's fifteen minutes of fame are about up. What credibility she may have once enjoyed is entirely shot.

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Two women who have spoken about the family stability involving a missing girl from Hickory now claim one of them was addicted to drugs – and that contributed to why they never directly called authorities about possible problems at the missing girl's home.
Brittany Bentley, who is married to the nephew of Elisa Baker, told WBT Radio on Wednesday that she was a drug addict and that she was sorry for not contacting the NC Department of Social Services after allegedly observing problems pertaining to Zahra Claire Baker's home life.

I believe it is the other Brittany that called DSS. (EB's daughter)

I believe things will not change til:

1) There is more community support for those struggling with families. When being treated for addiction and alcohol abuse includes information to families, children included, on where to go for help if someone in the family is drinking or using drugs. to help the family member and themselves.

2) When Family Services, BCW, Child services, whatever you call it, is reformed so that well paid, experienced and supported workers are taught how to look for discrepencies and issues a child may not want to talk about, or actually deny.

3) I think that has to be reflected in Law, that children can be removed if law enforcement suspects something is, in the words of another poster 'hinky'. And that is really giving law enforcement alot of power.

Would you want your child taken if law enforcement 'thought' there might be something off? What if it's not warrented.

Just playing devils advocate here.

I truthfully think Family Services, or whatever they call it there, did their best. If the house was clean, there was food in the fridge, if the child didn't have marks or bruises, if the child wouldn't admit to abuse, if there wasn't LE called to a DV fight between parents where there was fear the child heard, saw, was effected by it (they can remove children in NY for this if they feel child is at risk),......

if there is no 'proof' there is little that can be done. If laws change, then maybe this would change. But I really don't know.

Exactly. Yes. Well-put. All of the above. Agree entirely.

Know where those you support for public office stand on funding of social programs; support those who fund federal, state, and local organizations to protect our young.

You have both demonstrated so beautifully how we, as individual people, do hold the power. . . by our votes and readiness to turn suspected abusers in to proper authorities (and doggedly following up until there is a safe conclusion). It sure looks like we, as a whole society, need to do better with this issue as evidenced by all our active forums!

:seeya:

Tricia doesn't have a religion forum on WS for a reason. Back to precious Zahra!

I'm sorry, Kimster. It is totally my fault. Anyone who replied was just trying to help out. I didn't realize we weren't to ever mention religion. The last thing I'd want to do is upset any of my friends here.

I'd ask that anyone who has an issue with the topic please not take it out on those who were just trying to comfort and help. It is totally on me. Thanks!

:grouphug:

85 times since 1991? That's almost 20 years. I'm missing the connection to Zahra.

I think Brittany Bentley's fifteen minutes of fame are about up. What credibility she may have once enjoyed is entirely shot.

Haha. I totally agree. There really is only so much talking you can do before you begin to look like an idiot.

Don't know if this has been mentioned (I'm a little busy with grandsons visiting), but EB's daughter, Brittany is claiming that DSS was called 85 times since 1991 (Caldwell, Catawba and Burke counties).

Since 1991 ? ? ? Maybe BS is referring to calls made on EB for abuse to HERSELF or her SISTER .... ? Because Zahra hasn't been here since 1991 (or even alive since then!)

I see y'all have been holding it down quite well.

It broke my heart to read that the case had gone cold. :banghead:

I hope they end up with enough evidence that they can prosecute without the body.

I pray they find the body though. That little girl deserves a proper burial.

Zahra, you deserved so much better.

I see y'all have been holding it down quite well.

It broke my heart to read that the case had gone cold. :banghead:

I hope they end up with enough evidence that they can prosecute without the body.

I pray they find the body though. That little girl deserves a proper burial.

Zahra, you deserved so much better.

I think it's far from a cold case.

She said SM's daughter called DSS.

"Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez said, "Wow. She was locked in her room all day? She was beaten? Did anyone -- did her father, for example, try to stop this or did anyone report this to authorities?"

Bentley responded, "That's the crazy thing. I never saw Adam spank her, punish her, do anything. But he would sit there and watch Elisa do it to his child. He would just sit there and not say anything. Yes, her daughter actually reported to DSS (North Carolina Division of Social Services), and they came. I don't know how much was done. But yes, it was reported."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/12/earlyshow/main6949915.shtml

Since 1991 ? ? ? Maybe BS is referring to calls made on EB for abuse to HERSELF or her SISTER .... ? Because Zahra hasn't been here since 1991 (or even alive since then!)

That's definitely the case, but the sheer number -- wowza. The vast majority of us are never the subject of DSS calls. I would think even half a dozen calls would be concerning...but 85? (Of course, we don't know if it's true, but if it is...holy cow!)

That would show such an extreme pattern that you would think she would be on their "top reported" list and under extra watch.

Police Searching At Home Friday Where Zahra Went Missing (video)

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25403061/index.html

Dog handler told reporter neither cadaver dog hit on anything outside the house, handlers would not answer if the dogs hit on anything inside the house said - I can not answer that question you will have to talk to police"...

Can anyone here tell me about the factitious disorder that was discussed last night in reference to stepmom on NG? TIA

I might have spelled that wrong, sorry.

(I can google the definition myself, I was wanting to know if any of our medical pros here could give me a break down) :)

Police Searching At Home Friday Where Zahra Went Missing (video)

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25403061/index.html

Dog handler told reporter neither cadaver dog hit on anything outside the house, handlers would not answer if the dogs hit on anything inside the house said - I can not answer that question you will have to talk to police"...

Reading between the lines I think the dog handler may have answered the question by saying (s)he couldn't answer that question.

Either that or I've been around Military double speak to long and have completely lost my mind :crazy:

JMHO at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member