2011.04.12 Adam Baker Arrested

I would think he didnt look at his mum because hes ashamed. She more than anyone has been by his side through all this. Shes stuck up for him and he probley had her convinced he hadnt broken any laws she didnt know about. I know its not a popular way to think but I feel sorry for her myself. She loved Zahra and Adam and has done her best to protect her own. Thats what mothers do! JMO

I would think he didnt look at his mum because hes ashamed. She more than anyone has been by his side through all this. Shes stuck up for him and he probley had her convinced he hadnt broken any laws she didnt know about. I know its not a popular way to think but I feel sorry for her myself. She loved Zahra and Adam and has done her best to protect her own. Thats what mothers do! JMO

BBM .... I agree, he is ashamed. And I do have compassion for KB too. I think she has some friends here, but now that AB is jailed indefinantly, I think it will be very lonely for her. That is why I am wondering if she will go home for now. She must be missing her family and friends there, and I cannot imagine the stress she is under.

BBM .... I agree, he is ashamed. And I do have compassion for KB too. I think she has some friends here, but now that AB is jailed indefinantly, I think it will be very lonely for her. That is why I am wondering if she will go home for now. She must be missing her family and friends there, and I cannot imagine the stress she is under.

I am curious just how long she can remain here - legally? :waitasec: MOO

Also snipped from MSM link above:

"We got the court order in January (on the charges),” said Maj. Clyde Deal with the Hickory Police Department. “There’s a lot more to this than people think.”

Baker was placed under an immigration detainer by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at the jail Tuesday evening.

Deal said investigators have known for a few months Baker was in the country illegally and intended to bring illegal immigration charges to a Catawba County grand jury, with the hopes it would indict Baker.

“Our intent to start with was to indict,” Deal said. “We didn’t know if he was going to be here to indict. “We served the warrants to ensure he would be here when the indictments were served. If he’s out of the country, it doesn’t make sense.”

BBM:

I have been thinking there is a lot more to this. The timing is strange. Why wait so long to charge, unless they wanted him out on the streets so they could watch him and wait for some kind of slip up or wait on more evidence in the investigation into Zahra's death. And it was not like he was going anywhere in the next few days, his next court date was not until June before this, and they have his passport. And his lawyer said he would not be pleading guilty to the threat charges, which means a trial date would have been set. so did they not have atleast a few months before they had to worry about him leaving the country.

Confused but giddy!

I also think this is a prime statement in the article. I might be reading between the line incorrectly, but I think Clyde Deal is trying to tell us something...like there is more to come.

Does anyone know if the FBI and SBI are still actively working on Zahra's murder investigation?

AB used the name James Starbuck...
Isn't that the last name of one of EB's daughters...???
I wonder if EB has all of James Starbucks personal papers.... like a birth certificate, social security card, stuff like that... the originals... and they were creating him a new identity....
If would fit with this statement perfectly....
"We got the court order in January (on the charges),” said Maj. Clyde Deal with the Hickory Police Department. “There’s a lot more to this than people think."

This is sort of encouraging to me, if they keep bringing up these petty charges they can hold him until those have been dealt with and then slam him with the ICE charges. I'd love to know what the immigration charges are, if it's just overstay of his original visitor's visa that's a civil offense and effectively means he'll be deported and be banned for at least 10 years from returning but if at any time he did submit an application or filled out any official goverment form (could be work related) and LIED or falsified information he could be looking at 5 years in prison.

This is sort of encouraging to me, if they keep bringing up these petty charges they can hold him until those have been dealt with and then slam him with the ICE charges. I'd love to know what the immigration charges are, if it's just overstay of his original visitor's visa that's a civil offense and effectively means he'll be deported and be banned for at least 10 years from returning but if at any time he did submit an application or filled out any official goverment form (could be work related) and LIED or falsified information he could be looking at 5 years in prison.

So, if he's deported and banned for 10 years does that mean he wouldn't be allowed to return for Elisa's trial? That is, if he is even out of jail by then.

I am curious just how long she can remain here - legally? :waitasec: MOO

From knowing what I went through with DH, it's 90 days on a visitor visa (passport). She can apply for an extension, but it's gonna cost her. If the extension is denied you have like 48 hours to get out of the country!

I think she's already exceeded her welcome pass hasn't she?

MOO

Mel

From knowing what I went through with DH, it's 90 days on a visitor visa (passport). She can apply for an extension, but it's gonna cost her. If the extension is denied you have like 48 hours to get out of the country!

I think she's already exceeded her welcome pass hasn't she?

MOO

Mel

I guess she's been here close to 6 months?

I also expect more charges, however, for the moment they are charging him with what they believe they can prove and get a conviction on - and keep him in the U.S.. MOO

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...r-somber-court-appearance-felonies-ar-945533/

I wonder if his mom is going to stay here till all this is over now. It has got to be tuff financially and emotionally for her. I also wonder why he did not look at her in the courtroom, I would look at my mom if I was in shackles in a courtroom, for a little smile or a nod and reasurance that she was there for me.

I was a little surprised to see his facial expression when it showed him in his lime green jumpsuit-he looked p*ssed off!! ((IMO)) In the TV interviews with reporters he has given previously, he portrays himself as "poor me" -the innocent victim of circumstance- but he sure didn't come across that way (to me) in court. He looked mad but like he was trying not to show it. I think there is a very DARK side to him. Combine that with EB and that made a deadly combination-literally.

So glad to see him in his jail jumpsuit-time to pay the piper for his part in Zahra's neglect & death for whatever part he played in it. Poor Zahra deserved so much better than she got and I hope there will be justice for her better late than never. :smiliescale:

PS-Thank you HPD, SBI, FBI, & all involved.

I also think this is a prime statement in the article. I might be reading between the line incorrectly, but I think Clyde Deal is trying to tell us something...like there is more to come.

Does anyone know if the FBI and SBI are still actively working on Zahra's murder investigation?

BBM

Yes they are.

So, if he's deported and banned for 10 years does that mean he wouldn't be allowed to return for Elisa's trial? That is, if he is even out of jail by then.

Technically by simple virtue of being arrested or convicted there’s a bar on his re-entry. He would have to apply for a visa which would almost certainly be denied by immigration unless LE needed him as some kind of material witness at EB’s trial. Even if he weren’t facing charges and could leave voluntarily right now, the overstay on his original visitor’s visa means he would still be banned for 3 years but if they deport him it’s a minimum 10 years.

His mother (and I too feel sorry for her) may have applied for an extended visa (good for 6 months) when she first came here but that must be nearing its expiry date. Honestly, in her own best interests she’d be better going home before it does expire so that if AB is going to be making an ‘extended’ stay in an American jail or prison at least she’ll be able to come back periodically and visit him.

This is an interesting turn of events. I don't quite understand why charges weren't laid in January when they got the orders. I presume there is some deliberate process at play. Odd that they didn't charge him with the same charges at the time they charged EB.

I would think if Adam was required to give evidence in court (Zahra's case) that he would have been required to return to the US even if he had returned to Australia, so I doubt this is the reason they've done this. But I don't know the finer details.

I saw someone post on here (in the past few days) that there's a new release of a previously sealed warrant/document regarding the dismemberment taking place in the bath of the the home - has anyone seen this? I have not managed to locate any info on this at all.

I am also curious that NoeticSoul is certain that FBI/SBI is still investigating Zahra's death. Would this be standard where a trial has already been slated, but they're lacking in information (which they are clearly in this case)? OR does this automatically mean that they are conducting a separate investigation with regard to another potential perpetrator? I presume they can introduce new material if it is critical to the case against EB?

My suspicion is that they want to ensure AB is deported - they want this all on record so he can never return to the US. If they gave him back his passport and allowed him to return to Aust of his own free will then he'd be permitted to return to the US which they don't ever want to happen.

I was a little surprised to see his facial expression when it showed him in his lime green jumpsuit-he looked p*ssed off!! ((IMO)) In the TV interviews with reporters he has given previously, he portrays himself as "poor me" -the innocent victim of circumstance- but he sure didn't come across that way (to me) in court. He looked mad but like he was trying not to show it. I think there is a very DARK side to him. Combine that with EB and that made a deadly combination-literally.

So glad to see him in his jail jumpsuit-time to pay the piper for his part in Zahra's neglect & death for whatever part he played in it. Poor Zahra deserved so much better than she got and I hope there will be justice for her better late than never. :smiliescale:

PS-Thank you HPD, SBI, FBI, & all involved.
..a couple of visuals --i do like to see him in the lime green & handcuffs----
adamcourtapril2011.jpg

and yes, his "look" in court doesn't quite match his arrogance when doing a pre-arranged media interview.

-------leaving his lawyer's office on monday ( when he thought he'd be getting his passport back the next day and be off to Oz..)------poor guy--the stress and worry over his daughter's death has clearly reduced him to skin and bone...

adamapril11.jpg

------not going to be making any "hey, how ya' doin'?" phone calls anytime soon...
adambakeraprilcourt.jpg
...and he's NOT happy that he was 'tricked'--welcome to Justice adam baker.

It all seems to be going quite nicely as far as I can see. There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

This is an interesting turn of events. I don't quite understand why charges weren't laid in January when they got the orders. I presume there is some deliberate process at play. Odd that they didn't charge him with the same charges at the time they charged EB.

I would think if Adam was required to give evidence in court (Zahra's case) that he would have been required to return to the US even if he had returned to Australia, so I doubt this is the reason they've done this. But I don't know the finer details.

I saw someone post on here (in the past few days) that there's a new release of a previously sealed warrant/document regarding the dismemberment taking place in the bath of the the home - has anyone seen this? I have not managed to locate any info on this at all.

I am also curious that NoeticSoul is certain that FBI/SBI is still investigating Zahra's death. Would this be standard where a trial has already been slated, but they're lacking in information (which they are clearly in this case)? OR does this automatically mean that they are conducting a separate investigation with regard to another potential perpetrator? I presume they can introduce new material if it is critical to the case against EB?

My suspicion is that they want to ensure AB is deported - they want this all on record so he can never return to the US. If they gave him back his passport and allowed him to return to Aust of his own free will then he'd be permitted to return to the US which they don't ever want to happen.

BBM. Like I said, even if he were to leave voluntarily, the small matter of the overstay on his original visa alone would preclude him returning to the USA for at least 3 years and then he'd have to apply for a visa which, with his record of arrests/convictions, would be denied. Seems to me they could have just let ICE go ahead and deport him if the only goal was getting him out of the country and ensuring he couldn't return, instead we have all this elaborate behind the scene holding back of charges and then springing them so they are effectively delaying his exit. JMO.

BBM

This intrigues me, would you please post a legal link for this. Duke Power is a private company and not government related, but he did lie. What I am wondering about is his North Carolina state driver's license (does he have one?). Plus, if the Baker family were receiving monthly funds from the government (as Elisa stated...think it was approx $200), wouldn't Adam have to sign something about his income..official government papers.

Who informed LE that Adam had falsified the Duke Power documents...Elisa? We have no idea what all she has shared with LE. For all we know, she and her attorney could be sharing more info every day, especially since they want some charges combined into one trial...deal time(?).

IMO, I think Elisa is talking and LE has to confirm everything she says.

Lauriej thanks for the visuals. Sure is easy on the eyes to see AB in his fabulous new jumper.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upabigtree
Back