2011.04.12 Adam Baker Arrested

Remembering the pink & green "preppy" colors of yesteryear is a great oxymoron for Elisa and Adam new clothing.

Something they now have in common....incarceration. :D

BBM

This intrigues me, would you please post a legal link for this. Duke Power is a private company and not government related, but he did lie. What I am wondering about is his North Carolina state driver's license (does he have one?). Plus, if the Baker family were receiving monthly funds from the government (as Elisa stated...think it was approx $200), wouldn't Adam have to sign something about his income..official government papers.

Who informed LE that Adam had falsified the Duke Power documents...Elisa? We have no idea what all she has shared with LE. For all we know, she and her attorney could be sharing more info every day, especially since they want some charges combined into one trial...deal time(?).

IMO, I think Elisa is talking and LE has to confirm everything she says.

Ah...finally. I was really wondering how it was possible for AB to be dodging the obvious immigration issues without any charges being filed.

As far as the Duke Power account, didn't LE take a copy of a Duke Power Bill in one of the search warrants at the house after the ranson note/fire caper? So they've known since then that the account was in someone else's name. After discovering that Elisa was using her daughter's identity, something she is presently charged with, I'm sure after one phone call to JS to confirm that he did not in fact set up that Duke Power account, they knew about AB using his identity. Good on LE for keeping that one on the back burner until they needed to use it.

Did AB and his lawyer seriously think he was free and clear in this and was going to be allowed to return to Australia after paying off some bad checks with a promise to return for his trial and hers? :waitasec:

BBM

This intrigues me, would you please post a legal link for this. Duke Power is a private company and not government related, but he did lie. What I am wondering about is his North Carolina state driver's license (does he have one?). Plus, if the Baker family were receiving monthly funds from the government (as Elisa stated...think it was approx $200), wouldn't Adam have to sign something about his income..official government papers.

Who informed LE that Adam had falsified the Duke Power documents...Elisa? We have no idea what all she has shared with LE. For all we know, she and her attorney could be sharing more info every day, especially since they want some charges combined into one trial...deal time(?).

I'm not sure if it applies to him obtaining goods and services by deception from private companies such as the power company but I do know that lying or falsifying info on any government document is subject to quite severe penalties. It's considered to be perjury and they have these strong warnings on the bottom of all the official forms you have to complete during the immigration process.

In AB's case I was thinking more of his employment papers ie the I-9 he would have had to complete for employment verification, making a false declaration that he was legally able to work when he in fact wasn't.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Also I found another link about US code 18 which governs lying on official documents or to government officials.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001015----000-.html

Here's a snippet from it with phrases BBM :

" (e) Whoever knowingly makes any false statement or claim that he is, or at any time has been, a citizen or national of the United States, with the intent to obtain on behalf of himself, or any other person, any Federal or State benefit or service, or to engage unlawfully in employment in the United States; ..........

…..…..Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
"

Hope that helps.

BBM

Knowing now that he was here illegally, he should not have been able to obtain a SS#, driver's license, or employment, unless done so under illegal circumstances. You cannot work in the US without a green card or visa.

So IMHO, Baker may have signed many illegal documents, including obtaining a false ID and social security number. These can be bought off the black market for as little as $50.00

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_an_illegal_alien_work_in_the_US_without_a_green_card_or_visa

Mel

---snipped---

..i was just looking back at the info we had previously on the 'utilities' etc..

..of course these articles refer to elisa, but LE would have come across adam's name too when they checked the utility company records.

..and , as another poster has noted---the sheer (non) brilliance of elisa to write the ransom note ON the duke power envelope, drawing immediate attention to their account with the company...

http://callsforjustice.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/the-search-for-zahra-baker-continues/

October 15/2010

On Wednesday, they also searched the Bakers’ previous address, a mobile home, in the Caldwell County town of Hudson.
Police are familiar with the Hudson residence as they were called there more than a dozen times for incidents including family disputes, two break-ins, and a report by Elisa Baker’s daughter that accused Baker of using her information to get utilities in her name without her permission.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/feb/28/14/elisa-baker-indicted-fraud-ar-820685/

Feb.28/2011

Baker allegedly obtained telephone and other services for her residence using the driver’s license number, Social Security number and date of birth of Brittany Starbuck. Those offenses occurred on or about March 19 of last year, the indictment stated.

Starbuck, 21, is Elisa Baker’s daughter.
The fraud occurred on March 19 last year, according to the indictments. At that time, Baker, her husband Adam, and Zahra lived at 4010 Phillip Lane in Hudson, according to the indictments.

Baker also used Starbuck’s identity to obtain electric utility service for the Baker residence on or about April 3, the indictments states.

Financial identity fraud and obtaining property by false pretenses are felonies.

North Carolina law holds harmless the person whose identity was stolen.

This is an interesting turn of events. I don't quite understand why charges weren't laid in January when they got the orders. I presume there is some deliberate process at play. Odd that they didn't charge him with the same charges at the time they charged EB.

I would think if Adam was required to give evidence in court (Zahra's case) that he would have been required to return to the US even if he had returned to Australia, so I doubt this is the reason they've done this. But I don't know the finer details.

I saw someone post on here (in the past few days) that there's a new release of a previously sealed warrant/document regarding the dismemberment taking place in the bath of the the home - has anyone seen this? I have not managed to locate any info on this at all.

I am also curious that NoeticSoul is certain that FBI/SBI is still investigating Zahra's death. Would this be standard where a trial has already been slated, but they're lacking in information (which they are clearly in this case)? OR does this automatically mean that they are conducting a separate investigation with regard to another potential perpetrator? I presume they can introduce new material if it is critical to the case against EB?

My suspicion is that they want to ensure AB is deported - they want this all on record so he can never return to the US. If they gave him back his passport and allowed him to return to Aust of his own free will then he'd be permitted to return to the US which they don't ever want to happen.

..knowing what (little) we "know" at this point, i agree that it was absolutely deliberate on LE's part to not arrest/charge adam with the identity theft/utility fraud back in january----they already had him on the worthless chqs/etc. so he wasn't going anywhere.

..IF he did somehow manage to get "those other charges" cleared up-----and wanted his passport back----slam! they had their "ace up their sleeve" to arrest him on, and make sure he didn't get out of dodge.
( which is exactly what they did-----clever.)

..allowing someone to return to their country, and then "requiring" them to come back-------i wouldn't for one second trust that person TO come back, without a huge, long drawn out legal battle. ( if for some reason that person was against it ) i think the arrest and the ICE detainer are perfect in this case. both are perfectly legal and warranted, due to the fact that he did in fact, once again, break the law in the U.S.A.

..i totally agree with "Noetic Soul"---that the investigation is on-going-----------we heard in feb. that the case file was at 30 THOUSAND pages!

..not to sound flippant , but zahra "only" went missing/went murdered 6 months ago---------that is a huge amount for them to be going through, i'm sure as they do, re-interviews come up ETC ETC...who knows what info (new and old) they are coming across as they painstakingly go through it all at once.

..yes, they can introduce new info ----Chief Adkins said at the last press conf---that they would be continuing their investigation right up until the day of trial.

..i don't think that they want to "ensure that he leave and never come back"----at this point, i think they want to make sure that he sticks around----while they continue to go through the mountain of evidence, and more.

..right now they're holding him on legit crimes---who knows what else they may come up with in the meantime?

..at least if / and when they DO----he's HERE , and not 'disappeared' somewhere in Oz.

( i haven't seen the new info on the dismembered in the bathtub ..)

Adam became complacent and was too confident. (imho) And it was deliberately set up that way. As sickening as it was to me to see AB walking around free and enjoying his Thanksgiving and Christmas.. it was necessary. And, it was genius, given the mentality of the players that had SEEMINGLY been left out of the mix where Zahara's demise was concerned. It was even more sickening to me to see AB obtain "victim" (grieving 'father') status here on WS.

When EB was indicted LE said they will follow all leads and work on this case right up until the trial. There was a hidden meaning in that message.

The Look on LE's face when asked if AB has been ruled out as a suspect was priceless.

ruledoutmrbaker.jpg

If LE really believed AB was an innocent man, victimized, forsaken and hung out to dry by evil burlesque Goth Fairy666, (a man who lost his daughter through no fault whatsoever of his own) I'm certain they would have attempted to make things as painless as possible for AB. Of course they are still going to make him face his current charges.but one would think that LE might give him a little latitude, expressing their confidence that once he is back in AU he will return ASAP when summoned for trial, and NOT deem it a necessity to slap on these new charges to keep him here. We see them keep piling on the charges for EB, and we'll see the same for Adam.

FWIW

I do not believe for one moment that LE will be satisfied with ONLY ONE conviction. It is my BELIEF that Hickory LE & the SBI, now have some "credible" evidence that will end with AB being charged with (along with one other key player) for something pertaining to Zahra's murder, dismemberment & disposal, in the very near future.

IMHO We will also see, MORE identity theft charges--possibly for fraudulently creating accounts online requiring credit cards, some drug trafficking, and <cringe> child *advertiser censored* charges as well when all is said and done.

I also have faith in Elisa. She is no saint. She's no martyr.

Eb2point.jpg

She's not a woman so madly in love with AB that she'll cover for him. She will do and say WHATEVER she can to take him down with her. It wouldn't surprise me if she had an ace up her sleeve that will be revealed once AB is indicted.

Could just be wishful thinking, but serial manipulators often have a plan B. Lets just wait and see what LE & EB do now. There may be more to this story yet, friends. I have the feeling she is gonna TAKE 'someone(s)' with her, or die trying.

All just my very unimportant Opinion.

At this time next year we may still be waiting for Justice.. but at least we know it's coming. If only.. one charge at a time.

G A M E OVER AB & friends.

Got to keep the faith for our angel Zahra.

Anyone know what happened with AB's bond. The 10K amount is no longer listed.

http://injail.catawbacountync.gov/WhosInJail/

I noticed that too. I was thinking now that ICE is involved that the bond has been revoked? Or else it was paid and it doesn't matter--he's not going anywhere. Just a guess. On Facebook KB seems to think he's gonna walk.. so who knows!

lol yes, seen the BS over there. Now Emily is getting a thrashing for thanking the bikers who participated in Zahra's Angel wings ride. Unfreaken real. Sorry for going offtopic, but grrrrrrrr!

Well his names there, hence so is he right? I have been wondering, would Adam be better off sitting in the county jail, or better off sitting in an Immigration holding facility. I mean as far as which would be a nicer prison enviroment for him. My guess would be that he would have more access to his mother and lawyer then he would once he gets in the ICE system. From what i have seen, its complicated and you need a good Immigration lawyer to help you, oh and you have to pay for that lawyer yourself, you don not get one appointed to you.

I assumed it had been paid and hes waiting to see if he gets out from the ICE detainer. JMO

I assumed it had been paid and hes waiting to see if he gets out from the ICE detainer. JMO

I could be totally wrong but I thought even if it is paid, the amount still shows up beside his name. One reason why I wonder if he is better off staying there until court, or better for him for bail to be paid and start the ball rolling with ICE.

I noticed that too. I was thinking now that ICE is involved that the bond has been revoked? Or else it was paid and it doesn't matter--he's not going anywhere. Just a guess. On Facebook KB seems to think he's gonna walk.. so who knows!

Scanning through other inmates with no bond amount listed, I was trying to see if there was any kind of pattern to explain why the amount is no longer there. The only thing that makes sense is the Immigration Detainer cancelled the possibility. MOO

First chance I've had to check the news on this case in over a week. And may I just say:

WOO-FREAKIN-HOOOOO!

The downward spiral has begun, Adam Baker. And I'm going to savor every last minute of it! You can count on that!

YES, Mountain Kat....Justice will be served i do believe....Noetic Soul, I like the way you think too..

Does the Immigration Detention suggest they are going to want to know about every day he has been in the US, i.e. another hearing or just deport him?

I already had thought it was going to be a long case, but I think it is going to get longer too.

..knowing what (little) we "know" at this point, i agree that it was absolutely deliberate on LE's part to not arrest/charge adam with the identity theft/utility fraud back in january----they already had him on the worthless chqs/etc. so he wasn't going anywhere.

..IF he did somehow manage to get "those other charges" cleared up-----and wanted his passport back----slam! they had their "ace up their sleeve" to arrest him on, and make sure he didn't get out of dodge.
( which is exactly what they did-----clever.)

..allowing someone to return to their country, and then "requiring" them to come back-------i wouldn't for one second trust that person TO come back, without a huge, long drawn out legal battle. ( if for some reason that person was against it ) i think the arrest and the ICE detainer are perfect in this case. both are perfectly legal and warranted, due to the fact that he did in fact, once again, break the law in the U.S.A.

..i totally agree with "Noetic Soul"---that the investigation is on-going-----------we heard in feb. that the case file was at 30 THOUSAND pages!

..not to sound flippant , but zahra "only" went missing/went murdered 6 months ago---------that is a huge amount for them to be going through, i'm sure as they do, re-interviews come up ETC ETC...who knows what info (new and old) they are coming across as they painstakingly go through it all at once.

..yes, they can introduce new info ----Chief Adkins said at the last press conf---that they would be continuing their investigation right up until the day of trial.

..i don't think that they want to "ensure that he leave and never come back"----at this point, i think they want to make sure that he sticks around----while they continue to go through the mountain of evidence, and more.

..right now they're holding him on legit crimes---who knows what else they may come up with in the meantime?

..at least if / and when they DO----he's HERE , and not 'disappeared' somewhere in Oz.

( i haven't seen the new info on the dismembered in the bathtub ..)

Thanks for responding to my questions lauriej. It's often difficult for me to understand what the legal principles are in the US.

The Aust government certainly would extradite AB to the US for Zahra's case if he refused to return (if he was allowed to return to Aust before the trial). One valid reason I think they'd prefer to find ways to keep him on-site, and behind bars until trial is that the cost would be considerably less than the extradition avenue. Makes sense.

I think you're right about LE having an ace up their sleeve to keep him in the US. Your theory makes perfect sense. He had, I gather, sorted out his debts for the bad cheques, and had voiced his desire to get his passport back to return to Aust ... so this was, as you suggest, perfect timing by LE. Curious that they can keep charges up their sleeve ... but as I say I don't understand how the system works.

Noetic's comment about ongoing investigation &#8211; don't get me wrong, I wasn't disputing the accuracy of that, just trying to understand it. I thought that once the material was handed over to the defense that there were issues with introducing new evidence. I do recall that some time back I (and others) asked if the investigation was still ongoing by FBI & SBI, but I never saw replies confirming this - I presumed that once the case went to court & evidence was turned over to the defense that this was final. Apparently not. Q - do they have up till trial to build on existing evidence or is it only to introduce new info? If the defense is causing disruption with the "I cant read the CDs" claim, then how are they going to react if new material is introduced? Do they extend the case again over and again? I guess they'd have to if justice is to be maintained.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are more charges to be laid against AB. If they can hold on to them until needed, they'll just keep them in store. I also think Noetic's hunch about future charges is probably pretty accurate (I've no clue about the specifics though). I've also always felt there were more people involved (and have stated that many times) and that much more sinister issues laid below the surface. I've never been able to work out who or what though, as that info just isn't within my grasp. I was shocked when the LE declared that it was EB alone who acted. Very odd IMO.

I'm still super curious about that claim about a new warrant being released. I'll try and hunt down the comment and repost it here so people can investigate further.

Here's the comment that I saw about the recently released warrant. Post #19 in this thread, dated 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM (well, that's on Aust eastern standard time). See bold blue:

I know, right? It's been suggested that Adam Baker wrote the ransom note, and not that I would ever believe Elisa Baker, she indicated Adam did something horrifying to Zahra after she died. Do I think Adam was part of the dismemberment? You bethca.

Adam Baker said that he didn't know Zahra was missing initially because he thought she was sleeping whenever he got home from work. A walk to her bedroom revealed what looked like a sleeping body, he said.

In court documents that were unsealed Tuesday, it was revealed that Zahra Clare Baker was likely dismembered in the bathtub of the Baker house in Hickory.

How many times did he go into that bedroom and see what looked like a sleeping body that just happened to be in the same position (unless it was moved everyday). It makes NO sense to me at all.

And how does one dismember a body in the family home without the other occupants not noticing. Whoops - all that blood! My bad!

But, hey, that's okay, they now have him on this utility service fraud!

What a strange world I live in.

Moo

Mel

Has anyone seen any local media reports today regarding why Adam no longer has a bond amount?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savethedryads
Back