2011.03.30- LE is waiting on evidence in crime lab before going to Grand Jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
District Attorney Hardy Wilkerson said Tuesday. “However, until the evidence and a report is handed over to our office, there's nothing we can do to prosecute the alleged crime. It also depends whether or not the feds want it.”

*sigh* Indefinite pronoun. :banghead:

"It" could mean "whether the Feds want the evidence" or "whether the Feds want the local DA to prosecute."

They should have asked that guy for clarification - what is he talking about?

I (and a few friends) have been independently emailing and calling, etc. in Mitchell, Howard and Scurry Counties. It is amazing who are very responsive and those who are down right cold/rude.
Very telling IMHO.

http://173.192.100.200/content/dunn-case-da-hasnt-received-*advertiser censored*-evidence

“I'm not sure which agency recovered the alleged evidence, but I'm sure the computer has been handed over to federal or state law enforcement by now,” District Attorney

What ?? Your kidding me right?

I supposed in a place like this part of texas these kinds of missing kids/ CP cases are so everyday and routine that the DA doest pay much attention to what is going on ,much less ever speak with investigators about what happening in work related events.

The DA doesnt know what agency recovered the alledged evidence? The DA is SURE the either federal or state LE has it by now. I feel much better.

Cocktail anyone?

DO they even teach investigation as a style of reporting in journalism schools any more??

I (and a few friends) have been independently emailing and calling, etc. in Mitchell, Howard and Scurry Counties. It is amazing who are very responsive and those who are down right cold/rude.
Very telling IMHO.

I am afraid mitchell county is going to try and arrest you !:floorlaugh:

What ?? Your kidding me right?

I supposed in a place like this part of texas these kinds of missing kids/ CP cases are so everyday and routine that the DA doest pay much attention to what is going on ,much less ever speak with investigators about what happening in work related events.

The DA doesnt know what agency recovered the alledged evidence? The DA is SURE the either federal or state LE has it by now. I feel much better.

Cocktail anyone?

The way it works is that LE does an investigation and if/when they have evidence that a crime has been committed they turn the evidence over to the DA who then decides whether or not to prosecute, based on the strength of the evidence. The DA does not oversee the initial investigation.

I too am anxious, but one comment on this...

Remeber jurisdiction is VERY diffucult in the computer crime cases. Our legal system still has not caught up with the technology - yet!

They say "if" the feds want it could mean two things - FBI comes in when/if there is a sting/larger investigation into the CP OR jurisdiction is an issue.

District Attorney Hardy Wilkerson said Tuesday. “However, until the evidence and a report is handed over to our office, there's nothing we can do to prosecute the alleged crime. It also depends whether or not the feds want it.”

*sigh* Indefinite pronoun. :banghead:

"It" could mean "whether the Feds want the evidence" or "whether the Feds want the local DA to prosecute."

They should have asked that guy for clarification - what is he talking about?

IIRC, the computer was turned over, willingly, by SA's step father on 12/30....then the mother scurried over to CC to retrieve it....which LE then kept as evidence and would not give it back. Did local LE find CP early on and WHEN did they notify other agencies? Wasn't it around 1/5?

I find it hard to understand if CP was found or thought to be found, that LE would not discuss it with the DA.....and the DA not following thru and wanting updates.?????

The way it works is that LE does an investigation and if/when they have evidence that a crime has been committed they turn the evidence over to the DA who then decides whether or not to prosecute, based on the strength of the evidence. The DA does not oversee the initial investigation.

The DA presents the evidence to a GJ and they will decide whether it goes to trial or not. But it depends on which agency handled this part of the investigation... state or federal.
I assume that they are still trying to figure out if the CP is tied into Hailey's case. It may not be, it may be a separate issue entirely.

I haven't gone back to double check, but if CCPD or MC Sheriff's Dept were the ones to take the computer from the step dad in Howard Co.....wouldn't the Howard Co. LE be involved.... I guess what I'm asking is...wouldn't Howard Co have to be there when the puter was taken...since it's within their jurisdiction? Could MC LE do that without notifying Howard Co?

The DA presents the evidence to a GJ and they will decide whether it goes to trial or not. But it depends on which agency handled this part of the investigation... state or federal.
I assume that they are still trying to figure out if the CP is tied into Hailey's case. It may not be, it may be a separate issue entirely.

It's my understanding that CP is being handled separate, but as you stated that doesn't mean it can't be tied in to HD's case.....it may well be.

The DA doesn't always go to the GJ..for indictment. Most times the evidence found is enough to charge the perp. I think the GJ is brought in if there is good circumstantial evidence...and the forensics will take some time to get back. Maybe they are waiting for the puter expert's findings...and any witnesses the DA may have at this point-- to testify at GJ---he feels aren't strong enough......or wouldn't feel they would be too truthful, Kwim? Tho you would think if the DA had the forensics back and it definitely pointed to SA with CP....there would be no need for the GJ. ??

I just think it is and has been too quite in SA's world since the beginning of this case. Nothing be brought forward or commented on from anyone with the exception of his cousin and a past paramour.

Pink- good one! apparently not...at least not the investigative sort:)

Wasnt Howard county the ones who releaed the FOIA on items seized? Meaning the *advertiser censored* and Cp on the Computer?

No reason the DA not know what is going on ,unless I am mistaken.

How much longer? Is something going to happen? Don't forget about Hailey, please, don't forget about Hailey.

Maybe Clint Dunn knew what he was talking about, when he said that LE wanted him to give up so they could close the case.

I've been under the impression for a while, that the local police are just looking at this whole thing like just a big imposition.

Lets not forget about the little girl killed in AU, the police waited and waited (she want missing in July of 2010 and her parents were arrested just yesterday)... finally waiting out the family for many many months till finally the mother and step father went and visited her little grave and they grabbed them as they were leaving.. they found the girls body by being patient and biding their time. They waited till the little girls birthday hoping the family would visit where she was buried.. and they were right.

LE lied during the investigation to make it seem as though they weren't suspects...

Anyone wanting to read about her, here is a link...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113723&page=18

It's my understanding that CP is being handled separate, but as you stated that doesn't mean it can't be tied in to HD's case.....it may well be.

The DA doesn't always go to the GJ..for indictment. Most times the evidence found is enough to charge the perp. I think the GJ is brought in if there is good circumstantial evidence...and the forensics will take some time to get back. Maybe they are waiting for the puter expert's findings...and any witnesses the DA may have at this point-- to testify at GJ---he feels aren't strong enough......or wouldn't feel they would be too truthful, Kwim? Tho you would think if the DA had the forensics back and it definitely pointed to SA with CP....there would be no need for the GJ. ??

I just think it is and has been too quite in SA's world since the beginning of this case. Nothing be brought forward or commented on from anyone with the exception of his cousin and a past paramour.

I do believe anything related to Hailey will have to be brought to the GJ, though, because there is not really much evidence to tie him to her disappearance except the CP, and I'm not sure that they can do that, unless Hailey is on any of those devices.
This might look like a slam dunk to a lot of people, but it is not, IMO. It might be more complicated than we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6