IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer Session II technically started June 18, but most students classes wouldn't have begun until Monday June 21. What I meant to say is that it was "between" summer sessions.

I graduated from IU and spent time there during the summer both taking classes and just visiting those that were staying taking classes. It is definitely quiet, but I think the "between" weekend would be even more quiet.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Arnold. It looks like the reporters were there early Friday June 24 (3 weeks after disappearance). So that would be a few days after Session II started.

Does the community college where LS was taking her summer course have many students attending during the time she went missing?

yes I would like to know too, as well as the location of the campus for the CC (Ivy? IIRC)

I think that LE knows more than they are willing to say which allows them to discount at least the timing of what the witness say she saw at 3:38AM. They may have the indentical incident on tape at 2:51AM, just as an example.

It doesn't make sense why they wouldn't say that and fully rule it out then. Instead they say that the witness may have seen LS but that it was an hour earlier.

Bloomington police Capt. Joe Qualters said Wednesday they have completed their “second tier” of interviews with people close to Spierer. One, possibly two, of those interviews from that “extensive” group of people still need to happen, he said.
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

This statement was made eight days ago and could explain LE's change of stance from "everyone's cooperating" to "no comment". Guess they never happened.

This statement was made eight days ago and could explain LE's stance from "everyone's cooperating" to "no comment". Guess they never happened.

Ok, so in that statement, is he speaking of tier 2 as in the follow-up questions to the primary POIs, or is he talking about the interviews of the tier 2 POIs? (I have to go and read it now)

Also, I think this part of Voyle's statement regarding his client, JR is not getting enough visibility
"Again, Mr. Rosenbaum provided cooperation as soon as requested by the authorities and continues to do so."

So, it is possible the focus is on someone other than JR? Not saying it is, but asking opinions (I'm clueless)

I think that LE knows more than they are willing to say which allows them to discount at least the timing of what the witness say she saw at 3:38AM. They may have the indentical incident on tape at 2:51AM, just as an example.

The 2:51 video is from the alley. This is at college and tenth. And even if it were the 2:51 video they're referring to, then that would change prevailing theory of CR being the man in that video, because he is clearly not the man that this witness saw.

Ivy Tech Community College is about 4 miles west of Smallwood Plaza, outside of the "main" part of Bloomington. It is not within walking distance, and most students who go there either drive or take a bus.

The 2:51 video is from the alley. This is at college and tenth. And even if it were the 2:51 video they're referring to, then that would change prevailing theory of CR being the man in that video, because he is clearly not the man that this witness saw.

But what if the video shows the exact same scenario? Witnesses can be wrong in descriptions...anyway, I was just trying to give an example, I think LE knows why her sighting cannot be right, timewise and/or other reasons...and just don't want to spell it out at this time.

I'm really on the fence as of late...however, how does a supposedly upstanding friend allow a girl to walk home alone in the first place? It's one thing if she had a cell phone with her, but she didn't. We would hope she was coherent enough to be able to recognize that she had misplaced items especially since the claim was that she wasn't "stumbling" when she left.
How does someone allow her to leave without walking her that short distance, even based on the selfish thought of having to live with yourself if something happens to that individual. We can see from the timeline, it would have put him out, maybe 15 min. That's why I'm on the fence because how could someone not have the human decency? It's hard to fathom... So hard to believe the responsibility lies with friends, which is why I'm really struggling with fully focusing on JR.

In addition, if that call at 4:15 was about a phone' whereabouts, then he def was well aware of her leaving in such a vulnerable manner... No shoes, tiny girl, no phone, no purse, no keys.... Extremely irresponsible as a "friend". Who does that kind of thing?

Now, I'm not condemning JR, it's just that my inclination is to always believe and trust people that are close to me. However, who knows why the call was made to DR really? Maybe she called for a ride, but got the VM.

And by the way, "calling" is so much more vague in the sense of having to explain it. But texting... You would have to take the time and really fabricate a good message... That's much harder to cover up or explain.

yes I would like to know too, as well as the location of the campus for the CC (Ivy? IIRC)

Ivy Tech's summer schedule is different than IU's. It goes from early June to early august, only one 8-week session. It is also way outvwest of town off w. 3rd st. Plenty of people take classes there, and unfortunately there was a peeping Tom incident last semester in the women's bathroom. He was arrested. There was also someone at ivy tech that was recently arrested for making child *advertiser censored*. I'm taking a summer class there right now. They are installing new security cameras, and lots of them.

Ok, so in that statement, is he speaking of tier 2 as in the follow-up questions to the primary POIs, or is he talking about the interviews of the tier 2 POIs? (I have to go and read it now)

Also, I think this part of Voyle's statement regarding his client, JR is not getting enough visibility
"Again, Mr. Rosenbaum provided cooperation as soon as requested by the authorities and continues to do so."

So, it is possible the focus is on someone other than JR? Not saying it is, but asking opinions (I'm clueless)
Good question. It sounds like preliminary questioning led LE to want answers from new individuals, but left open the possibility of a need to talk with the "primary" individuals again.

Those who were directly with Spierer in the hours before her disappearance — some of those people accompanied by local attorneys — have also been interviewed by police.
Those “primary” people who had direct contact with Spierer may still need to be re-interviewed, Qualters said, after police “get together, compare notes.”

So, it could be the new individuals aren't cooperating. We have no way to be sure, but clearly, someone's holding out, which goes back to Phantom's question about LE's change of attitude regarding cooperation.

Does the community college where LS was taking her summer course have many students attending during the time she went missing?

She hadn't started yet. [sad face] Monday, June 6 is when Summer classes started.

But what if the video shows the exact same scenario? Witnesses can be wrong in descriptions...anyway, I was just trying to give an example, I think LE knows why her sighting cannot be right, timewise and/or other reasons...and just don't want to spell it out at this time.

I agree. As I listened to him respond to the question at the PC I thought that in an effort to downplay it he obfuscated it to the point where it got all turned around. In other words, it worked.

To long time sleuthers,
have you ever seen a case where LE (or possibly PIs working to assist LE's efforts) have used the internet to gather clues?

I'm really on the fence as of late...however, how does a supposedly upstanding friend allow a girl to walk home alone in the first place? It's one thing if she had a cell phone with her, but she didn't. We would hope she was coherent enough to be able to recognize that she had misplaced items especially since the claim was that she wasn't "stumbling" when she left.
How does someone allow her to leave without walking her that short distance, even based on the selfish thought of having to live with yourself if something happens to that individual. We can see from the timeline, it would have put him out, maybe 15 min. That's why I'm on the fence because how could someone not have the human decency? It's hard to fathom... So hard to believe the responsibility lies with friends, which is why I'm really struggling with fully focusing on JR.

In addition, if that call at 4:15 was about a phone' whereabouts, then he def was well aware of her leaving in such a vulnerable manner... No shoes, tiny girl, no phone, no purse, no keys.... Extremely irresponsible as a "friend". Who does that kind of thing?

Now, I'm not condemning JR, it's just that my inclination is to always believe and trust people that are close to me. However, who knows why the call was made to DR really? Maybe she called for a ride, but got the VM.

And by the way, "calling" is so much more vague in the sense of having to explain it. But texting... You would have to take the time and really fabricate a good message... That's much harder to cover up or explain.

When I read this I can't help but to think that JR and HT could be in cahootz. Commenters (here and PT I think) have said they have been friends longer than JR and LS. Think about it: With what I perceive as accusatory, it's as though she's saying, LS deserves what she got. It's her fault. Maybe JR called HT not DR and said, She won't leave or alternatively, She won't stay. HT says Throw her out. Whatever JR is responsible for, I wouldn't be surprised if HT played a role in it. She appears unwavering in her admonishment, like a scolding mother.

To long time sleuthers,
have you ever seen a case where LE (or possibly PIs working to assist LE's efforts) have used the internet to gather clues?

I believe there is a person assigned to this case whose work is mostly on the computer. I take that to mean the Internet. My basis is an Indianapolis TV news station report within the first few days she was missing.

I think tier 2 means people that knew LS but where not with her that night. But the article also states the "primary" (people with LS that night) may need to be re interviewed.
So it is possible those interviews never happened.MR.Voyle made the statement early on about hoping the police followed leads he and his client provided.So I guess he is working very hard to get the police to focus their investigation some where other than his client.I do not know if the police are buying it.

I think HT is more taking on a role of "Miss Know-it-All" and liking it, i.e information has been funneled to her and she was, for a time, in control of the release of the information. She may well be wishing she had never taken on that role and resents the portion of reactions (to her words) that has been negative. The first time in the public eye is always fraught with danger, not everyone will believe and/or like you, and this is the part that makes HR angry or upset.

This case was big news as soon as it hit the wire, so I am not inclined to think that none of these intelligent college students had any clue that there could be fallout from what they said or posted or inferred through the internet or with media. JMO

When I read this I can't help but to think that JR and HT could be in cahootz. Commenters (here and PT I think) have said they have been friends longer than JR and LS. Think about it: HT's accusatory tone, "LS deserves what she got. It's her fault." My quotes. Maybe JR called HT not DR and said, "She won't leave" or alternatively, "She won't stay." HT says "Throw her out." Whatever JR is responsible for, I wouldn't be surprised if HT played a role in it. She appears unwavering in her admonishment, like a scolding mother.

I find this comment almost unbelievable. Reality check: HT was just the roommate of LS and had nothing to do with her disappearance. She was not with her that night. Where did you see an accusatory tone made by her as "LS deserves what she got. It's her fault" as you wrote above ? She never said or implied anything like that. You should retract that erroneous comment.

The real POIs are people who were with her or who may be implicated otherwise. But to focus on her roommate and attack her and target her is in my opinion very wrong. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim