LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping-

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...20722021/Neighbors-mum-Brandon-Scott-Lavergne

Neighbors mum on Brandon Scott Lavergne

CHURCH POINT -- In the historic town of Church Point, current and former neighbors of Brandon Scott Lavergne are reluctant to talk about the man indicted last week on two counts of first-degree murder.

A quiet fear permeates the streets and blacktop roadways of the town. The few residents willing to talk about the years when Lavergne lived with his parents and brother on North Brasseaux Street don't want their names to appear in the newspaper for fear of retribution.

'With the many locals posting now, maybe someone can answer the question on retribution.. What type of retribution is the neighbors afraid of, and by whom'?

What are the reasonable explanations for 'fear of retribution' from a person?

-Personal experience: Surely, BSL hasn't bullied everyone on that street?
-History/reputation of retaliation: CajunNet confirmed?
-Connections that allow person to "get away" with deed; and make your life hell for reporting: Family clout that says don't mess with us...OR we'll mess with you?

Wat cha ya mamma'n'dem think?:biggrin:

It's my sincere and hardcore belief that Mickey's family and friends, as well as this community, are to thank for the 'attention' her case has received. I don't believe it's a case of 'try harder'. JMHO

Agreed. Was there even Facebook or YouTube when LP went missing???

maybe back then the grand jury didn't give a yes vote because of not enough evidence..adding the evidence from Mickey's case made this grand jury vote yes.

I hope people can/will talk to LE, even if they do so in secret, if they are so worried about retribution. If the threat is real, and not just social stigma, they can be protected, IMO.

I hope people can/will talk to LE, even if they do so in secret, if they are so worried about retribution. If the threat is real, and not just social stigma, they can be protected, IMO.
I understand how people can be hesitant to speak up. I lived in a town where everyone knew everyone else, and everyone seemed to be related (actually they often were) to everyone else. Favoritism and the good old boy network were alive and well, and this included those in the local government and on the police force. In such an environment it is easier to keep quiet than risk speaking up. I also understand the fear of retribution. That being said, if anyone knows anything, please don't hesitate to find some way to make that information known. Nobody should get away with abuse and murder, not to mention the far reaching ripples of pain and suffering that that person's actions cause, no matter who they are.

I understand how people can be hesitant to speak up. I lived in a town where everyone knew everyone else, and everyone seemed to be related (actually they often were) to everyone else. Favoritism and the good old boy network were alive and well, and this included those in the local government and on the police force. In such an environment it is easier to keep quiet than risk speaking up. I also understand the fear of retribution. That being said, if anyone knows anything, please don't hesitate to find some way to make that information known. Nobody should get away with abuse and murder, not to mention the far reaching ripples of pain and suffering that that person's actions cause, no matter who they are.

I agree with everything you've written here, and I commented earlier in this thread about the possibility that BSL has a *kindred spirit* - not mentioning names here, but there's someone out there who knows way more than any of us, and the same someone may also be a bully and a criminal who is feared by locals. Someone makes comment - it's just a question with no answer so far - on this news story:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/comm...20722021/Neighbors-mum-Brandon-Scott-Lavergne

Something someone knows may give a clue to where Mickey is...you never know. Finding her, and convicting him, is more important than anything else. Brave people testify in murder and drug cases every day.

This is what I think (and hope) is happening... Possibly why they now have enough evidence in LP's case. Hopefully, since people feel confident that the charges against him will put him away for life, they feel comfortable coming forward now. Many were obviously fearful of what he might do to them down the road if they spoke up. Since it looks like there will no longer be a down the road in BSL's future, thanks to Mickey, I'm thinking a lot of people are now coming forward and even more as this case develops...

I wonder if it's just BSL people have been afraid of or is it friends or family members also? If it's friends and family members also, they may still be afraid to talk.

Yes! I'd like to know what brought on that "discussion." I can't begin to imagine someone saying that under those horrendous circumstances.
AND... may be the exact reason that the GJ didn't issue a true bill for BSL the first time. She was not "credible". ~ due to comments like that one!

Like ACI said... some people will not speak to LE! They will however speak to a PI on the front porch over a cup o joe and a ciggie!

I won't speak ill of LE. Clearly 4 or 13 years later they are finally getting answers...
but how many lives could have been saved if LP's murder was handled properly in 1999.
LE has done a great job with Mickey's case.
Maybe FINALLY there will be some answers and there (may) be people that will be called upon to explain their actions.
The truth always prevails.
moo

Agreed. Was there even Facebook or YouTube when LP went missing???

February 4, 2004 Facebook was launched, but tons of people were using Myspace before then (launched in August 2003) and I remember missing persons posters and stories on comment boards then. Prior to that, there was no real powerful social media network - so Lisa Pate's family would not have had that extra help, other than TV and radio and of course community participation with flyers, etc.

I wonder if it's just BSL people have been afraid of or is it friends or family members also? If it's friends and family members also, they may still be afraid to talk.

I hope LE will give family and close friends just enough info to convince them that they "have" him this time...and to open up with any and all details. They saw him get a fairly solid sentence once before-so they know it can happen. Just as LE has or had to convince the Shunicks that Mickey was gone, they need to let BL's family know enough to convince them that they have evidence that will hold up.

I hope LE will give family and close friends just enough info to convince them that they "have" him this time...and to open up with any and all details. They saw him get a fairly solid sentence once before-so they know it can happen. Just as LE has or had to convince the Shunicks that Mickey was gone, they need to let BL's family know enough to convince them that they have evidence that will hold up.

Good point as there probably are friends and family afraid to talk. But my point was could there be people that are afraid to talk, even if he is sentenced to life - or death because of possible retaliation by friends or family of BSL?

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

AND... may be the exact reason that the GJ didn't issue a true bill for BSL the first time. She was not "credible". ~ due to comments like that one!

Like ACI said... some people will not speak to LE! They will however speak to a PI on the front porch over a cup o joe and a ciggie!

I won't speak ill of LE. Clearly 4 or 13 years later they are finally getting answers...
but how many lives could have been saved if LP's murder was handled properly in 1999.
LE has done a great job with Mickey's case.
Maybe FINALLY there will be some answers and there (may) be people that will be called upon to explain their actions.
The truth always prevails.
moo

What upsets me is the fact that the St. Landry Parish warrant for BSL for attacking his wife was left open for 12 years and never served.

Why was BSL allowed to skip an open warrant for his arrest?!?!? He should have been tried while in prison... Had he been convicted of the assault on his wife, then maybe it would have extended his sentence, and maybe also alerted people more to his character.

As it is, I assume the warrant was never served due to the statute of limitations' expiring while he was in prison.

So OT but can't believe the time difference it's 8am Tuesday here, I'm in the future lol. Been pretty quiet on here ATM but have been following every post. I don't have anything to contribute at this time but am in awe of all the details emerging keep up the good work and welcome to all new members:)

Good point as there probably are friends and family afraid to talk. But my point was could there be people that are afraid to talk, even if he is sentenced to life - or death because of possible retaliation by friends or family of BSL?

Well, hopefully, if there are people like that, they are not the only ones with info.

I'm not sure if there was any great love for BSL in Church Point.

He dropped out, went into the military, then attacked someone and went to prison.... basically disappeared from the area. His mom re-married - family broken up.....

Is it that maybe he has a big extended family that takes up for him? I haven't heard a big cry for his defense. And from whom do people think the retaliation would come?

This is pure speculation... but the only retaliation I can think of is that there is someone else in the CP area - not behind bars - who has a lot to lose if people talk.

To further my thought.... when BSL goes on trial for Lisa Pate, he may drag other people into it. And in a small community like Church Point, it would create great enmity and upheaval to find out that the case was not handled correctly, or that someone was protected - and maybe reopen the investigation into KA's untimely demise in that auto accident. That's would be a fine kettle of fish - two cold cases blown open at once

Church Point seems like a boiling pot, from all the rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member