LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSL may find himself embroiled in three cases at once, if rumored connections prove out.

"The indictment on Wednesday listed the date of her killing as July 3, 1999."
http://theadvocate.com/home/3390194-125/acadia-grand-jury-had-looked

We have heard from MSM sources that

LP was noted missing when she did not show up to her son's birthday party.
LP was missing for months, until September 21, 1999. (July to September would be months)
It took another week or two to identify the remains as LP's.
The remains were skeleton.

IMO it is the assumption of some including me, that since the family noted her seriously missing when she did not show up for her son's birthday, this is the same date LE chose for the report of death when she was finally found identified late September early October, as July 3.
Yes it is an assumption at this point. IMO it is a fair assumption that the medical examiner did not come up with an exact date for her death, and hence LE chose July 3 as it was the day she should have been somewhere and was not.

Yes, she may well have been murdered before July 3rd. She may or may not have been reported missing to police in June.

JMO

My interest in the date was in my struggle connecting the accident with LP's murder, since I have seen it rumored that they were around the same time and connected.

My biggest question would be how is the accident and BSL's alleged murder of LP connected?

What I DO NOT and CANNOT understand is WHY these types of VIOLENT sex offenders are released only to offend again....it happens time after time. Can anyone tell me where there is proof that a violent sex offender can be "rehabilitated"?????

Sorry for the chain-postings!! My thought process today is kind of jumpy and my finger hits "post" before I am done thinking!!!

:eek:kay:

And don't forget his Uncle!

And that murder was never solved, either, right!!??

I don't know where I read this so take it with a big grain of salt, but I read that his uncle didn't trust banks and so kept all his money in cash.... I suppose robbery would have been the motive?

I'm not sure if there was any great love for BSL in Church Point.

He dropped out, went into the military, then attacked someone and went to prison.... basically disappeared from the area. His mom re-married - family broken up.....

Is it that maybe he has a big extended family that takes up for him? I haven't heard a big cry for his defense. And from whom do people think the retaliation would come?

This is pure speculation... but the only retaliation I can think of is that there is someone else in the CP area - not behind bars - who has a lot to lose if people talk.

Glad I dont live in Churchpoint, too many secrets and people not living right.

LP was missing for months, until September 21, 1999. (July to September would be months)

IMO it is the assumption of some including me, that since the family noted her seriously missing when she did not show up for her son's birthday, this is the same date LE chose for the report of death when she was finally found identified late September early October, as July 3.
Yes it is an assumption at this point. IMO it is a fair assumption that the medical examiner did not come up with an exact date for her death, and hence LE chose July 3 as it was the day she should have been somewhere and was not.

Yes, she may well have been murdered before July 3rd. She may or may not have been reported missing to police in June.

JMO

My interest in the date was in my struggle connecting the accident with LP's murder, since I have seen it rumored that they were around the same time and connected.

My biggest question would be how is the accident and BSL's alleged murder of LP connected?

Exactly. That's what must be nailed down. That's where the Church Point CajunNet is all over the map. There's a lot of smoke, but I haven't seen any fire yet.

ETA: And the Shunick killing was listed as May 19.

So either this is SOP for LE to pick a date for the warrant, or they found evidence in BSL's home that pinpointed the dates.
Very telling, to me, that July 3 was never officially listed as a decease date for her, unless I missed it, until BSL's place was searched.

Yes! I'd like to know what brought on that "discussion." I can't begin to imagine someone saying that under those horrendous circumstances.

I think that guilt along with her not being welcome when my Mother and sister were paying respect to my brother at the cemetery is what started the argument. Yes, it is public property; however, I think my family should be due some respect. Afterall, we have been fed nothing but lies from this person. I would never call anyone let alone the deceased "Maggot Food" especially since she believes he was her boyfriend at the time of the accident. Who does that?

To further my thought.... when BSL goes on trial for Lisa Pate, he may drag other people into it. And in a small community like Church Point, it would create great enmity and upheaval to find out that the case was not handled correctly, or that someone was protected - and maybe reopen the investigation into KA's untimely demise in that auto accident. That's would be a fine kettle of fish - two cold cases blown open at once

Church Point seems like a boiling pot, from all the rumors.

I sure hope none of those same people are still in the police department there. Does anyone know who hold those top positions now?

I sure hope none of those same people are still in the police department there. Does anyone know who hold those top positions now?

Dang good question.

We know that the Jefferson Davis Parish police chief who oversaw the Jennings killings - and was embroiled in public controversy and recriminations over them (many locals, and also the high-profile PI in the cases, concluded that the killer either was a member of or had tight connections to LE or government) was just replaced. It has made me wonder if the Jennings cases may be revisited.

It shouldn't take much searching to find out if there has been much turnover in government and LE in Church Point since 1999.

I think that guilt along with her not being welcome when my Mother and sister were paying respect to my brother at the cemetery is what started the argument. Yes, it is public property; however, I think my family should be due some respect. Afterall, we have been fed nothing but lies from this person. I would never call anyone let alone the deceased "Maggot Food" especially since she believes he was her boyfriend at the time of the accident. Who does that?

Was wondering what you were told about Brandon the night of the accident? How did he figure in? Was he and your brother friends? Did he visit your brother when he lived in this house where Lisa Pate was found?

If Lisa P had gotten the attention that Mickey has gotten..maybe BSL would not have been on the streets of Laffy to kidnap and kill Mickey. Seems like the facts are always the same..if someone is on drugs or had been in jail the police seem to not try as hard? Let's just hope that their aren't a few more victims that could have been saved.

NOTE-I AM NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT LISA PATE'S CASE AND I DON'T BELIEVE THIS NEVER HAPPENS-just want to make it clear in advance.

More than the fact the people on drugs /and/or have served prison time being the reason, they don't get the same attention Mickey's case has gotten is lot of times, these people fall off their friends and family's radar. Their lifestyles discourage and hurt their loved ones and they have to pull away to maintain their own sanity. Then if the drug user/ jail time people go missing, there is no one around them who loves them enough to contact law enforcement.

A recent case proving that law enforcement does get involved in those with the "druggie" lifestyle is Jaren Lockhart.

JMO

I was under the impression that if the ME/LE didn't have the exact date of death they filled it in as unknown... Same as cause of death- they put undetermined... I guess I've never seen a case where they just guessed. Someone posted a while back (I think it was in the last thread) that they thought le may have estimated July 3rd because they needed a date filled in for the warrant. And from there it seems to have been accepted that the dod is unknown. Has anyone else heard of a dod as a requirement? Has le come out and said her dod they put in their report just was an estimate? Have we seen the ME's report? TIA...

If Lisa P had gotten the attention that Mickey has gotten..maybe BSL would not have been on the streets of Laffy to kidnap and kill Mickey. Seems like the facts are always the same..if someone is on drugs or had been in jail the police seem to not try as hard? Let's just hope that their aren't a few more victims that could have been saved.

I believe many things came in to play here with Mickeys case.

1. The Internet -13 years ago many people
In Lafayette did not have Internet access and many less in the rural areas did.
2. Social media. I found out about Mickeys disappearance on FB and posted it as did thousands of others. We didn't have to wait for the 10 o'clock news or the morning paper. We had rapid access and info right away.
3. Mickeys friends, family and our community acting right away and not sitting on our hands waiting for someone else to do something.
4. Mickeys "wholesomeness" that many people identified with as it reminded them of their child or sister or friend.

I don't know if a persons prior record or drug history or prison time alters the way LE searches for missing people or handles their cases.

I do know people as a whole are judgemental, including people who pray all the time despite the command of Jesus to love one and to judge not.

I think we all have have our own logs to pull out of our own eyes- because we judge those without a job, or the homeless,Or the addict, or the ex-con, or the neighbor who is a sex offender. We are after all, human.

What upsets me is the fact that the St. Landry Parish warrant for BSL for attacking his wife was left open for 12 years and never served.

Why was BSL allowed to skip an open warrant for his arrest?!?!? He should have been tried while in prison... Had he been convicted of the assault on his wife, then maybe it would have extended his sentence, and maybe also alerted people more to his character.

As it is, I assume the warrant was never served due to the statute of limitations' expiring while he was in prison.

They were still married for at least one attack. He was in the service. BSL again muddied the legal waters.
I have to say this much. Some of the responsibility lied with the wife.
If she didn't report it to his CO at the time (and was just waiting on LE to do something) LE isn't gonna pursue it much further... without her insistence.
She had a CT scan and ER visits???
Did she hire a lawyer?
Sure sounds like she just "dropped it" and filed for divorce?
Clearly the courts knew. He was awarded "no visitation"
She did file an RO.

I don't know ALL the laws ~ heck more like NONE!
BUT... he was military... she was a civilian.
I want to say it defaults to the base???

I'm not sure when he was discharged (or when he enlisted for that matter)
Looking at the timing I'm gonna say that attack in Feb was AFTER he was discharged???
Had it been handled properly in Dec 2000 there would have been no chance for him to attack her in Feb.
When BSL's jail term ended he SHOULD have then been brought up on the charges against the wife. AND forced to serve additional time!!!
UNLESS he was doing "concurrent time" for both???

WHAT BOTHERS ME IS Do they even have BSL's DNA?
I know hurricane Katrina wiped out a lab...
I also know due to the "back up" it can take YEARS to get these men in the system!
in 1999 when he was arrested there were no RSO laws on the books. That is why he kept appealing it.
DID THEY EVER GET HIS DNA ?

has it been put into CODIS?
I think NOT!

He filed to have his RSO removed!!!!

WHO IS HE CONNECTED TO???
moo

Was wondering what you were told about Brandon the night of the accident? How did he figure in? Was he and your brother friends? Did he visit your brother when he lived in this house where Lisa Pate was found?

I was never told anything about Brandon until recently when his name was in the news for the 2 murders. He was not a friend of my brother's; however, he seems to have ties to CH who did hang out with my brother. As far as visiting my brother's house, I don't know...it seems he knew it was vacant in order for a body to be hidden there.

I, along with my family, cleaned out my brother's house after the fatal accident. As I have said before on another site, there was no trace of Lisa Pate's body being there. IMO, the body was placed there after my brother had died. People knew it was a vacant house and a place to conceal a body. I feel 1 particular person knows a lot more than is being said. IMO, I think we need to look at the connection between BSL and CH. What are the dynamics there?

They were still married for at least one attack. He was in the service. BSL again muddied the legal waters.
I have to say this much. Some of the responsibility lied with the wife.
If she didn't report it to his CO at the time (and was just waiting on LE to do something) LE isn't gonna pursue it much further... without her insistence.
She had a CT scan and ER visits???
Did she hire a lawyer?
Sure sounds like she just "dropped it" and filed for divorce?
Clearly the courts knew. He was awarded "no visitation"
She did file an RO.

I don't know ALL the laws ~ heck more like NONE!
BUT... he was military... she was a civilian.
I want to say it defaults to the base???

Looking at the timing I'm gonna say that attack in Feb was AFTER he was discharged???
Had it been handled properly in Dec 2000 there would have been no chance for him to attack her in Feb.
When BSL's jail term ended he SHOULD have then been brought up on the charges against the wife. AND forced to serve additional time!!!

WHAT BOTHERS ME IS Do they even have BSL's DNA?
I know hurricane Katrina wiped out a lab...
I also know due to the "back up" it can take YEARS to get these men in the system!
in 1999 when he was arrested there were no RSO laws on the books. That is why he kept appealing it.
DID THEY EVER GET HIS DNA ?

has it been put into CODIS?
I think NOT!

He filed to have his RSO removed!!!!

WHO IS HE CONNECTED TO???
moo

The law for collecting DNA from RSO's did not go into effect until late 2000. He Plead & was sentenced in Feb 2000. So unless they went back and got DNA From all RSO's Convicted before law went into effect, which I doubt, they probably didn't have his DNA on file.

I was never told anything about Brandon until recently when his name was in the news for the 2 murders. He was not a friend of my brother's; however, he seems to have ties to CH who did hang out with my brother. As far as visiting my brother's house, I don't know...it seems he knew it was vacant in order for a body to be hidden there.

I, along with my family, cleaned out my brother's house after the fatal accident. As I have said before on another site, there was no trace of Lisa Pate's body being there. IMO, the body was placed there after my brother had died. People knew it was a vacant house and a place to conceal a body. I feel 1 particular person knows a lot more than is being said. IMO, I think we need to look at the connection between BSL and CH. What are the dynamics there?

I dont know the connection other than what was reported in her interview with the news channel. She was afraid of retaliation from Brandon for some reason if she said anything but I have to say I was a bit taken when she commented she hoped he rots in hell. A bit strong for someone weak and unable to speak for all these years from fear.

The law for collecting DNA from RSO's did not go into effect until late 2000. He Plead & was sentenced in Feb 2000. So unless they went back and got DNA From all RSO's Convicted before law went into effect, which I doubt, they probably didn't have his DNA on file.

That was my initial line of thinking, as well. But there's also a possibility, they did have his DNA on file from the left behind washcloth in the assault he was convicted for.

I also remember reading he was dishonorably discharged after being convicted of rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther