1338 users online (259 members and 1079 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, TX - News coverage re Public Meeting in Austin, TX on 2/27/13

Bill Named After Murdered 4-Year-Old To Be Discussed In Austin

Posted: Mon 5:06 PM, Feb 25, 2013

Reporter: Sylvia Villarreal
    KBTX - Bryan, TX

A bill named after four-year-old Emma Thompson who was murdered in 2009 after being beaten by Lucas Coe, her mother's boyfriend, will be discussed in Austin on Wednesday at a public meeting.

Read more:
    http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/B...193138501.html
    Last edited by imamaze; 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed link to pic
    ~ ~ ~ Rest in peace precious Emma Thompson ~ ~ ~

An article regarding HB 431, the Public Meeting in Austin, TX at the Capitol on 2/27/13 and background information regarding Emma Thompson's murder is on the front page of The Banner Press - Brenham, TX in today's edition (2/26/13).

As stated before, Brenham, TX is the hometown of Abigail Young, the mother of precious Emma Thompson who was murdered by Young's boyfriend, Lucas Coe, in June, 2009.

Special thanks to The Banner Press - Brenham, TX and KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, TX for the coverage of info about this very important Public Meeting regarding HB431.
    ~~~~~

‘Emma’s Law’ to be discussed

Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:45 am
    The Banner Press - Brenham, TX

A public hearing will be held Wednesday by a House committee on a bill that would allow the state parole board to delay considering parole cases involving crimes against children.

Called “Emma’s Law” after 4-year-old Emma Thompson, who was murdered in 2009, the House’s Corrections Committee will hold the hearing tentatively scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the capitol.

Subscription required to read entire article:

http://www.brenhambanner.com/news/em...9bb2963f4.html
    Last edited by Ann-Tx; 02-26-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Corrections Committee Public Meeting will be streamed "live" on 2/27/13

Per the Texas House of Representatives - Weekly Broadcast Schedule, the Public Meeting of the Committee of Corrections will be streamed "live" on Wednesday, 2/27/13, at 2 p.m. CST.

HB 431 (Emma's Law) will be one of three House Bills discussed.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-a...cast-schedule/
    State of Texas House of Representatives - Broadcast Schedule

Snipped:

Wednesday 2013-02-27

2:00 p.m. — Committee on Corrections

Internet on Livestream 4 House TV on Channel 38 In Room E2.010 or Upon Adjournment
    ~~~~~

Around 2 p.m. on 2/27/13, you should be able to click on at this Link:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/
    State of Texas House of Representatives - Live Broadcasts

I bet this bill passes. NO rep anywhere wants to be the one who votes down ANYTHING with regards to children's deaths at hands of abusers. Even if they dont' have a conscious for it they know its political suicide! I think it'll pass !

KWHI - Brenham, TX -- Emma Thompson Bill Discussions -- 2/27/13

The following was on the local radio (Brenham, TX) News this morning at 7:35 a.m. It will be on the Noon News, 5 p.m. News and at the top of each hour today!

Once again, Brenham, TX is the hometown of Abigail Young.
    ~~~~~

EMMA THOMPSON BILL DISCUSSIONS

(FEBRUARY 27TH, 2013) EP

KWHI - Brenham, TX

The Emma Thompson Law is up for discussion in a Texas House Committee today.

State lawmakers are scheduled to discuss a bill (Wednesday) named after a young girl who died at the hands of her mother’s boyfriend.

House Bill 431, known as Emma’s Law, is named after four-year-old Emma Thompson who was murdered in 2009 after being beaten by Lucas Coe, her mother's boyfriend.

Emma's mother, Abigail Young, a former Brenham nurse is considered for parole on an annual basis but if passed, Emma's Law would make the annual review a thing of the past.

Under the new guidelines, Emma's Law would make any felon convicted of a felony against a child eligible for parole every five years instead of once every year.

House Bill 431 is going before the Texas House of Representatives Corrections Committee in a public hearing will be starting at 2 p.m.

Source:

http://www.kwhi.com/news1.htm#EMMA THOMPSON BILL DISCUSSIONS

A HUGE Thank you to Tricia for making the public hearing todays banner on the forum!!!!
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3PM ET, 2PM CT, 1PM MT and 12PM PT, folks. I had to do the conversion myself, lol, so I thought I would pass it along.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Special thanks to Tricia!

Wow, Tricia!

Thank you so very much for the banner regarding the State of Texas House of Representatives - Corrections Committee Public Meeting in Austin, Texas today at the Capitol.

Also, for the additional info/Links.

Justice for Emma Thompson continues to prevail.

Per the Clerk for the Corrections Committee in Austin, TX, the next step after today (if HB 431 is approved) will be that HB 431 will go to the Calendar Committee for a reading.

Then it will be scheduled for a reading on the "floor" of the Texas House of Representatives. All members will vote and make amendments if they so choose.

Then if passed by the Texas House of Representatives, it will go to the Texas Senate for readings, vote, etc.

If there are amendments (Senate), it will go back to the House of Representatives.

It is a long process but I, like many, are in for the long haul and am monitoring this bill closely!

I do hope HB 431 becomes "Emma's Law" in honor of precious Emma Thompson!

I downloaded a free ap of RealPlayer (from the Texas House of Representatives - Video site) to watch the Corrections Committee meeting.

The audio and video are excellent.

HB 144 is currently being discussed. Hopefully, HB 431 will be next. HB 431 is listed after HB 144 on the schedule.

Per Rep. Riddle, Laurie Thompson (Emma's paternal grandmother)
    will be among folks testifying today!

Rep. Riddle talking about the death of Emma and that Emma lived in her District and about 5 minutes from her.

Rep. Riddle certainly did her "homework" re the facts of the Emma Thompson case as to why Lucas Coe was tried under Jessica's Law vs. murder

Laurie Thompson (Emma's paternal grandmother) now speaking!

Laurie Thompson, as expected, did an awesome job of testifying in front of the Corrections Committee.

Rep. Parker, the Chairman of the Corrections Committee, told Mrs. Thompson that they will move the bill forward!

That is HB 431! Yes!

HB 431 - in Pending status with TX House of Reps. Corrections Committee

HB 431 is left in Pending status with the Corrections Committee for further discussion. It will be moving forward!

I am so happy this bill has such wonderful support. Without a doubt, I think Emma's Law will become a reality during this Legislative 2013 Session!

One State Rep on the committee asked Rep. Riddle why the bill could not be made a 5 year (parole review) mandatory for the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles when considering parole for felons who have committed felonies against children.

He asked Rep. Riddle if she thought it would not pass as a mandatory. Rep. Riddle said she did not think so.

Then he said maybe it should be made 10 years before felons (crimes against children) become eligible for parole review.

The committee will be considering various things and may make the HB 431 stronger before it moves forward.

This was an awesome public meeting and Rep. Riddle, Laurie Thompson, Andy Kahan (Victims' Rights Advocate for the City of Houston, TX), a Harris County District Attorney, etc. did a great job of testifying.

I will continue to monitor HB 431 daily!

Many may remember that Andy Kahan was a guest on Tricia's True Crime radio in 2012.

He has been an advocate for children for many, many years. He is currently the Victims' Rights Advocate for the City of Houston, TX.

Kahan works closely with many families of the victims.

Another case that some of you may be familiar with that Kahan has worked closely with the family is the Jonathan Foster case in Houston, TX.

The trial of Mona Yvette Nelson is tentatively scheduled for May, 2013 in Houston, Tx.

Sorry for the brief off-topic regarding Jonathan Foster's case!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast