DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money orders are a perfect way to convert cash for distribution. There is no bank involved, no routing numbers, no checks to trace. Many people don't have bank accounts or checking accounts as they don't want to pay bank or checking account fees, especially lower income families that can't afford bank fees. Money orders are still quite popular.

How do you trade a money order in for cash? One of those check cashing places? I've only ever heard of people paying for items (bills, trips, etc) with a money order. Could someone take a money order into a store and pay for an item? $100 money order to pay for 96.00 worth of stuff. Will you get $4 back?

Money orders are a perfect way to convert cash for distribution. There is no bank involved, no routing numbers, no checks to trace. Many people don't have bank accounts or checking accounts as they don't want to pay bank or checking account fees, especially lower income families that can't afford bank fees. Money orders are still quite popular.

don't you have to pay fees to get a money order too? not that the fee for a money order would be as much as for a bank account, so I understand your point and not disputing it. I'm just wondering..I vaguely remember when I was fresh out of college the apt my BF and I were moving into required us to provide a money order instead of a check for our security deposit and I'm pretty sure there was a fee to obtain the money order.

I think money orders usually cost anywhere from 75 cents to $1.50. I don't believe there is a fee when cashing them.

don't you have to pay fees to get a money order too? not that the fee for a money order would be as much as for a bank account, so I understand your point and not disputing it. I'm just wondering..I vaguely remember when I was fresh out of college the apt my BF and I were moving into required us to provide a money order instead of a check for our security deposit and I'm pretty sure there was a fee to obtain the money order.

I just found the answer to my own question (amazing how that google works:)) http://banking.about.com/od/MoneyOrders/a/How-Much-Does-A-Money-Order-Cost.htm

The fee is very small for most money orders, apparently (typically anywhere from 1.00-1.50/order but most places will only give money orders in amounts lower than 1k.)

Someone earlier in the thread asked about using money orders in foreign countries. What I found about that is that money orders to be used internationally are issued at the post office and are accepted as currency in many foreign countries. Maximum amount of an international money order for most countries is $700. Apparently to send one to Guyana, maximum amount is $500. https://www.usps.com/international/money-transfers.htm

This is just something I was interested in as I wondered why DW had cash converted to money orders as I didn't think people really used money orders much anymore. Of course I have no idea if he intended to send money orders to Guyana. Just an avenue I was interested in exploring. So now I know. And still don't know....

He drove over when he heard about the fire. This has been reported. He had to park a block away because of the emergency vehicles.

The legal documents released so far indicate JW told police he drove over when he heard about the fire. So far, I have seen no direct verification by police that they were able to document JW actually arrived. I believe such verification is why LE requested the location information from the service provider.

JMO

I am just not seeing that in the car forums I have been reading. According to one website a Ford GT keeps its value better than the Mosler MT900. It is also speculated on a few of the sights that the reason there are so few of them is that that there isn't a market for them. I am not a car person, but it is interesting reading.
I'd take the turbo carrera over the mosler, any day. That mosler sits to low to ever drive it locally.

I really need something official to be released...quick, fast and in a hurry!

bbm sbm

Yes! ^Brilliant^.

Explains, at least in part, why DDW hustled to NYC from DC immed'ly, pronto, double time, quick, stat, right away, ASAP (didn't he?). Not a knight on steed crossing the mountain/plains/desert/ocean for his fair maiden/GF. Easy-peasy answer: DC pawn shops were too warmish. JM2cts,could be dead wrong.

He didn't leave DC until an arrest warrant was issued for him. He was hanging out on his dad's front porch the day after the murders (or maybe 2 days later - will have to hunt for the link, but his father's neighbor saw him.)

Up until about 4 mo. ago I paid my internet bill by money order. The credit union/ banks were at least $3.00 per, local party store .79 cents and a stamp, a nice walk and a chance to buy munchies. I could have had it deducted from my debit card, decided not to.

He didn't leave DC until an arrest warrant was issued for him. He was hanging out on his dad's front porch the day after the murders (or maybe 2 days later - will have to hunt for the link, but his father's neighbor saw him.)

I am pretty sure he went to NYC on Sunday...

The arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday, and he was in NYC according to LE.

New thread coming up, please be ready to move over.

:tyou:

I was baffled by the money orders too, and over the weekend when I was with friends, I said, "I didn't even know that people use money orders anymore," without mentioning anything about the case, the reaction of several people was, "yes, people without a lot of money use them all the time. A lot of people use them to send remittances to family abroad."

I hadn't thought of it before, but I suppose it's possible that he planned to send the money orders to Guyana and skip the country.

That would be a lot more money in Guyana, too. Good thought!

I think money orders usually cost anywhere from 75 cents to $1.50. I don't believe there is a fee when cashing them.

Money orders are similar to a check. If one doesn't have a banking account they have to rely on check cashing stores which charge a transaction fee and/or a percentage of the proceeds when cashing. Only exception, is if you cash a USPS money order at the post office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member