09-17-2011 Topaz Mountain Search Yields Charred Wood and Decomp

Adding to 'indicated' and 'reacted' that dogs 'led' and 'suggested'...

Cadaver dogs originally led police to the area, suggesting there was human decomposition in the area.

It's now up to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office to determine why 11 dogs trained to detect human decomposition zeroed in on the wood pieces

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...san-Powell-continues-near-Topaz-Mountain.html

Ok- so further SAR dog to human translation:

-'Led' police.
You are in your office but not on the phone. Your boss says, can you find my daily planner? I think I lost it.
(dog translation- "Yeah! Yeah! Where are we going?? Out to work?! Okay! Cool! What direction should I head in?)

-'Suggesting'
You are in your office and you boss says, can you find my daily planner? I lost it, and I think it's probably in the cafeteria, because I put it down there at lunchtime and that's the last time I remember seeing it.
(dog translation "Cafeteria? I don't have a clue what you're talking about, but this is fun! And there are a lot of daily planners in here! )

Forgive my heinous analogies, ya'll. But good gracious, I really wish the media would brush up a bit here. :(

Please make it stoooooppppppp!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

RoxanaOre Roxana Orellana
Rest of the dogs checking the area didn't indicate anything.
38 minutes ago

fox13now FOX 13 NOW
BREAKING: Cadaver dogs have indicated the presence of human decomposition in western Utah during a search for Susan Cox Powell.
57 minutes ago

In the last hour or so a cadaver dog indicated on a spot about 7mls NE of the last site they excavated. More dogs are being taken to verify.
47 minutes ago

fox13now FOX 13 NOW
Cadaver dogs again indicate presence of human remains near Topaz Mountain: bit.ly/nWGSuY #findsusan
44 minutes ago

If there is somethg there, process followed at the last site will start Lt. Merritt. "Right now we are not going to get anybody hopes up"
44 minutes ago

Update: Lt. Merritt says nothing there. It was all a miscommunication.
39 minutes ago

sltrib Salt Lake Tribune
Susan Powell search continues, moves to Topaz Mountain itself bit.ly/r5yNrq
38 minutes ago

fox13now FOX 13 NOW
UPDATE: Officials say that the spot cadaver dogs have indicated upon is not a grave. More at 4:30: bit.ly/nWGSuY
36 minutes ago

fox13now FOX 13 NOW
We're now being told that there was miscommunication at the search site and that there was no indication of human remains.
33 minutes ago

I wonder if they are still utilizing airplanes for aerial searches, that may indicate areas to move to for ground search? Wasn't the other 'spot' something they saw from the air, and went to with the dogs?

A possible grave found Sunday afternoon during a search near Topaz Mountain for clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell yielded nothing.

West Valley City Police Lt. Bill Merritt told Fox 13 that a search and rescue crew found something out of the ordinary near Topaz Mountain and sent cadaver dogs to look into the possibility of human remains on the area. Those cadaver dogs showed mild interest, but their handler determined that it was nothing of significance.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...-near-topaz-mountain-20110918,0,1481938.story

shl100402l.jpg

A possible grave found Sunday afternoon during a search near Topaz Mountain for clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell yielded nothing.

West Valley City Police Lt. Bill Merritt told Fox 13 that a search and rescue crew found something out of the ordinary near Topaz Mountain and sent cadaver dogs to look into the possibility of human remains on the area. Those cadaver dogs showed mild interest, but their handler determined that it was nothing of significance.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...-near-topaz-mountain-20110918,0,1481938.story

'Mild interest'?

Ok hang on while I translate...
Ok- got it:

You boss wanders into your office and says, "I think I might have lost my daily planner. Or maybe not, it's probably under all that stuff on my desk. But could you look for it in my car anyway? Thanks."

(Dog translation- "Umm. Ok. Where is your office? And your car? I need directions from the cafeteria, where we were looking for your planner a little earlier.")

:eek:

Yep, cluciano- I've gone totally 'round the bend.

Heart is breaking again for Susan's family and friends. They should not have to go through this. :(

I'm just seeing tidbits of this as I pop in and out, but are these dogs hitting on anything and everything or is it my imagination?

I'm just seeing tidbits of this as I pop in and out, but are these dogs hitting on anything and everything or is it my imagination?

I don't think it's the dogs or the handlers.

If you listen to the video from tonight's interview with Lt. Merritt, he says (paraphrased) that an area was found by searchers, they brought cadaver dogs to it, the handler said the dog wasn't hitting and they didn't think it was anything, and *then* another searcher said he was going to get some shovels and dig around just to be sure.

It was at that point that the 'miscommunication' occurred, where people started saying they had found another possible 'grave'.

So... not the dogs, not the handlers, but... others. Possibly Merritt? I dunno.

Video w/tonight's Lt. Merritt interview:

http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/?watchId=89981299-aa03-43ee-aff6-02295387a971

Ok- so further SAR dog to human translation:

-'Led' police.
You are in your office but not on the phone. Your boss says, can you find my daily planner? I think I lost it.
(dog translation- "Yeah! Yeah! Where are we going?? Out to work?! Okay! Cool! What direction should I head in?)

-'Suggesting'
You are in your office and you boss says, can you find my daily planner? I lost it, and I think it's probably in the cafeteria, because I put it down there at lunchtime and that's the last time I remember seeing it.
(dog translation "Cafeteria? I don't have a clue what you're talking about, but this is fun! And there are a lot of daily planners in here! )

Forgive my heinous analogies, ya'll. But good gracious, I really wish the media would brush up a bit here. :(

...Squirrel!!!!

Well, it seems there are a lot of 'hits' going on. (But not really?!)
I can't figure out what is going on!

(Btw, sorry for throwing you under the bus, sarx. But you're way better at PR than I am. :slap: )

I don't think it's the dogs or the handlers.

If you listen to the video from tonight's interview with Lt. Merritt, he says (paraphrased) that an area was found by searchers, they brought cadaver dogs to it, the handler said the dog wasn't hitting and they didn't think it was anything, and *then* another searcher said he was going to get some shovels and dig around just to be sure.

It was at that point that the 'miscommunication' occurred, where people started saying they had found another possible 'grave'.

So... not the dogs, not the handlers, but... others. Possibly Merritt? I dunno.

Video w/tonight's Lt. Merritt interview:

http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/?watchId=89981299-aa03-43ee-aff6-02295387a971

Oh, boy.
Thank you for the update, Bean.

@SLTribCrimeDesk
SLTribCrimeDesk
No tangible sign of Susan Powell found during 7 days of searching near Delta. Police contemplate taking a 2-day break.bit.ly/nuCqwr
17 minutes ago

Whenever police return to searching, it will be a scaled-back effort involving no dogs, no horses and only 10 or 12 West Valley officers.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52604453-78/police-powell-susan-searchers.html.csp

no dogs or horses or other help but 12 WVC police tells me they may be now looking for more witnesses besides Abbot, and that the search by Topaz Mntn is over for now. MOO.

@SLTribCrimeDesk
SLTribCrimeDesk
No tangible sign of Susan Powell found during 7 days of searching near Delta. Police contemplate taking a 2-day break.bit.ly/nuCqwr
17 minutes ago

Whenever police return to searching, it will be a scaled-back effort involving no dogs, no horses and only 10 or 12 West Valley officers.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52604453-78/police-powell-susan-searchers.html.csp

Oh no. That's not much of a search without the cadaver sniffing dogs. Without those dogs, they wouldn't have found the woodchips -- and the woodchips just might reveal something related to Susan's body. So we never know. Plus the horses are up high and one can see a lot when one is riding one. When they get to the mines, they should definitely have those dogs with them to smell the air coming from them.

"Yesterday was a little bit of a blow to us," Merritt said Sunday. "We had really been hoping that this would be something. We worked on that for several days. Everybody was waiting very anxiously to find the latest news on it. When it turned out to be nothing obviously significant to us, it was a big disappointment."

But Merritt added: "We’re back at it today. We are not going to give up."
He said he was pleased with how much ground searchers covered Sunday due to the massive volunteer turnout.

"We’ve been able to really step things up with the extra personnel," he said. "We are making a lot of progress, covering a lot of mileage and it’s just looking really good."
A large map in a trailer at the command post showed the areas that searchers — equipped with GPS tracking devices — had covered.
Police searchers have come across numerous items, like clothing and blankets. And a group of women camping in the area reported finding a jacket. In each case, the cadaver dogs were called over to see if they smelled any sign of a dead human being.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment/52604453-78/powell-police-susan-search.html.csp

I certainly hope that LE doesn't take this to hard, they are making way I believe.

Something they found somewhere, led them to this area, and several dogs just happen to hit out here where they are searching ? I do not believe that to be just a lucky shot.

I think Susan was there at some point and has been moved, I also believe he burned her body.
The fact that Josh isn't speaking out like he did the last search prior, tells me, imho only that LE is closing in and he knows it. I am very surprised at the dedication from this LE agency in finding Susan and I just hope that they don't let the wind go out of their sails just yet, there is yet alot of sailing left to do...... moo

Prayers

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther