2008.12.18 Deputy Richard Cain Interview "Cop Who Got Fired!"

I have to say I am not surprised. After I listened to YM and JA interview him 2x, I was shocked that this person was even a deputy to begin with. I hate to say it, but I don't think this was his calling in life and I don't think OCSO really had any other choice. I hope he finds another job soon. jmo
Also, he has other items in his file from similar type of complaiints, not following up on leads, etc. Believe me, they do not fire people lightly. He was misplaced, should have a desk job, but certainly not be sent out to the field.

Another victim of KC. Officer Cain has children to support and now no job in this horrible economy. I am not sure what he was supposed to do other than go into the woods and look for what RK said he saw. When Officer Cain found nothing, what was he supposed to do - call in the Mounties?

There must be more to his firing than this one incident. I wish all the best for him and his family.

Edited to add: Good for him, I hope he wins his appeal.
He had the caller/witness right there in front of him who said he found "Bones in a bag". What do you mean what should he have done? He should have asked Kronk to show him the specific bag.

A little Boy Scout would know if you have the witness there, you ask them to show you!!!! What bag, what bones sir,can you take me to it... something along those lines. Has the whole world gone mad? Listen to his talk with Yuri you will write me back and say yes, he should not be an officer. Maybe he can do something else in the department, but he just should not be trusted to be sent out in the field, he doesn't take it seriously and HE LIED!!!!

The bottom line is that KC could walk because this guy did not do his job properly, and then to save his own skin, he lied about it. You can't have someone like this on the force, period.
He is to this KC what Mark Furhman was on the OJ case--------------the one bad apple. Dear God, this is not good for the case that he lied and lied and lied. There is a lot of evidence, but this is definitely one for the defense.

This guy just threw egg in the face of all the dedicated detectives and CSI workers that have spent months and months on this case. What a jerk, he tells bold face lies to Yuri!!! Uuhg!

Wasn't Cain the one who wrote up GA's "gas can incident" complaint? So he met GA in June. I have a friend who could easily imagine GA getting into a "I used to be in LE yadayadayada" conversation with him. That might have influenced his reticence to find a body, subtly or not. Or the fact he'd been reprimanded before. I don't see anything to make me feel sympathetic to this guy if this turns out to be careless and lazy negligence.

I feel sympathy for LE in general over this incident however; so many dedicated people worked tirelessly and Le allocated what was probably an enormous portion of their budgeted resources to the case. Perhaps LE would have had been able to pay more time and attention to this officer and the individual tip if they hadn't been chasing down thousands of false leads, ALL of which were promulgated by a lying, spiteful little B who didn't want her butt in a sling for something she knew she had done. And a family who thought the whole world should buy into her Emperor's New Clothes routine and lay down the red carpet to extend their enabling behavior to the rest of the community.

The collateral damage this girl and her obnoxiously self-righteous family have caused others is astounding. And the fact they don't have the decency or intelligence to dial it down a notch makes it even worse. (Guess y'all can tell I couldn't possibly be one of those phony PR "infiltrators" mentioned of late that have been allegedly sent to create cyberspace spin!)

Wasn't Cain the one who wrote up GA's "gas can incident" complaint? So he met GA in June. I have a friend who could easily imagine GA getting into a "I used to be in LE yadayadayada" conversation with him. That might have influenced his reticence to find a body, subtly or not. Or the fact he'd been reprimanded before. I don't see anything to make me feel sympathetic to this guy if this turns out to be careless and lazy negligence.

I feel sympathy for LE in general over this incident however; so many dedicated people worked tirelessly and Le allocated what was probably an enormous portion of their budgeted resources to the case. Perhaps LE would have had been able to pay more time and attention to this officer and the individual tip if they hadn't been chasing down thousands of false leads, ALL of which were promulgated by a lying, spiteful little B who didn't want her butt in a sling for something she knew she had done. And a family who thought the whole world should buy into her Emperor's New Clothes routine and lay down the red carpet to extend their enabling behavior to the rest of the community.

The collateral damage this girl and her obnoxiously self-righteous family have caused others is astounding. And the fact they don't have the decency or intelligence to dial it down a notch makes it even worse. (Guess y'all can tell I couldn't possibly be one of those phony PR "infiltrators" mentioned of late that have been allegedly sent to create cyberspace spin!)
Do you have that link to that police report about the cans? If this is the same guy who made that report, this is even worse than I thought!

I totally agree with the others on here that are wondering if Kronk didn't already know for sure there was a little child's skeleton in the bag, since the very first phone call he made.

Does anyone know who Chris Stunz is that LP is referring to?

Out of all the cops there, this particular one happens to be the one who went to the Anthony home and took the burglary report about the gas cans. Are you kidding me?

I have to say I am not surprised. After I listened to YM and JA interview him 2x, I was shocked that this person was even a deputy to begin with. I hate to say it, but I don't think this was his calling in life and I don't think OCSO really had any other choice. I hope he finds another job soon. jmo

I have to say that I agree 100% and only wish that I could have said it as eloquently as you did. :)

Another victim of KC. Officer Cain has children to support and now no job in this horrible economy. I am not sure what he was supposed to do other than go into the woods and look for what RK said he saw. When Officer Cain found nothing, what was he supposed to do - call in the Mounties?

There must be more to his firing than this one incident. I wish all the best for him and his family.

The newscast also mentioned that the officer gave 2 false statements regarding this issue.

He practically called Kronk a liar in those statements.

I always told my kids, it's not the mistake or action that will get you into trouble..... it's LYING to avoid resposibility for it.

From what I have heard this evening on the local news, the deputy was fired for making false statements during the investigation. In other words, one time he said that he picked up the bag and there was nothing in it. Then he said in another interview that he did not pick up anything and that he wasn't even sure it was a bag. Could have been a shirt he thinks. So, the obviously conflicting statements are what got him in the firing category. Before that he was just going to be put in a lesser job for 160 days.

And also, I wanted to say that I drove by the Suburban Drive site yesterday and the Hopespring Drive address too. That was a desolate, ugly place that she discarded that darling little girl in. Very spooky looking. The vegetation is rapidly growing back and the memorial with many stuffed toys, etc. is still very much a presence. I was surprised at how close to their home the site actually is. The wooded area on Suburban is definitely a swampy area and I feel certain that it would have been under water for months after TS Faye was here. The road is a good bit higher ground than the wooded area. You would walk down into it, sort of like walking down into a slanted ditch. And it is dark too. The home on Hopespring is smaller than it seems on television and closer to the street than I had imagined. Lee's car was in the driveway. Another thing that surprised me is the color of the house is pinkish. I thought from the news coverage that it was tan colored, but no, it is definitely more pink. The yard looks like George and Cindy no longer work out in it and keep it nice like it used to be.

I feel for anyone who looses a job, especially someone with a family to support. I thought I had read, don't have a link, months ago that there were prior incidents where he hadn't properly investigated a call. I don't remember the details. It is hard, remembering all the people that came out to search, to think he disregarded RK's call so easily and then told him he was wasting county funds. My opinion only.

This guy lied about what he found AND couldn't be bothered to check the tip out thoroughly with RK standing right there, available to be asked where the heck this supposed bag was. Wouldn't have taken that much extra effort. I'm sure he figured there was a very small chance that RK's tip was legit, but he should have checked it out since he was right there for the asking. It's not like it would have taken all day and a bunch of manpower.

The Deputy is appealing the Independent Review Boards ruling. Currently he is still working under his due process rights, not fired yet. Which is fair doctrine. His interviews were several mths after the incidents, his memory potentially foggy at best. YM, is not accusing the Deputy anywhere that I have seen, nor would it serve any purpose. Contribution to the confusion can more than likely be contributed to memory, confused calls, length of time gone by, lack of manpower and numerous call volume, etc. This Deputy is allowed his due process rights to fight the independent review boards opinion. Why go about attacking him as being lazy or unfit to wear a badge off the bat? The circumstances may not be as they seem to appear. Defense will always attack LE, its a common ploy and people often love to hate on LE. KC from all appearances discarded Caylee and yes her destructive actions are destroying many lives due to her chosen path of lies and deception.

On the 12th of Aug RK called in a round white object, which seems to to be something one could see in plain view of sight and not in a bag? Another call a silver bag? He also said skull rolled or bounced out, tsk, tsk, seems it had not. RK's calls were not even consistent in what he was seeing during his calls. RK himself made it clear. "He was not going into the woods due to snakes," nor would he be required to ignore those fears and follow. Which was substantiated then by his discovery, of a large dead Diamond Back rattler ala freezer time and photo sale? RK companions disputed various statements made by RK as well? Mr W with bag on a truck only claims he was fluffed off as an after thought with no complaint prior at all? I say afford the Deputy and his family the dignity of his due process rights. Working LE do get names yelled at them, distorted complaints and often unfair complaints lodged against them. What did GA refer to SGT A and his fellow Officer's as?

I may be in the minority here( please do not throw pointy things in mimi's general direction) but I think Cain's lack of a good search in this area, coupled with the wording in the OCSO disiplinary findings, actually helps this case! It seems to me that the finidngs state that Caylee's body was indeed there, and he picked up one of the bags containing a clothlike object the size of a leaf...to me this sounds like he stumbled on the exact location and quite possibly saw a piece of the pullup. Does this makes sense to anyone?
*********This and all future posts come with a warning label*******************
I am currently, and have been for the past 3 days, quaratined in my offce, as my entire family has the flu and are all terrified that mama might get it...It would be a sinking ship here the mama gets sick....so take all posts with two aspirin and call me in the morning, because I am EXTREMELY stircrazy!!!!

The newscast also mentioned that the officer gave 2 false statements regarding this issue.

He practically called Kronk a liar in those statements.

I always told my kids, it's not the mistake or action that will get you into trouble..... it's LYING to avoid resposibility for it.

Same reason AR was fired from the force...he lied to investigators.

What I'm curious about is that Cain told Melich/Allen when asked by them if he ever reported the occurences to anyone, he said in both interviews of December 18th that he called Crimeline and/or sent an e-mail to Crimeline. He seemed to have trouble remembering if he called or e-mailed or both. I wonder if it was ever determined if this was true or did he lie about it. I guess we will never know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back