2008.12.18 Deputy Richard Cain Interview "Cop Who Got Fired!"

I don't think he was negligent on purpose....just assumed there was nothing there too quickly after not checking it out, because of snakes or laziness or whatever...

that is being neligient, and it isn't always an intentional thing. snakes and/laziness aren't valid excuses for negligence.

The Deputy is appealing the Independent Review Boards ruling. Currently he is still working under his due process rights, not fired yet. Which is fair doctrine. His interviews were several mths after the incidents, his memory potentially foggy at best. YM, is not accusing the Deputy anywhere that I have seen, nor would it serve any purpose. Contribution to the confusion can more than likely be contributed to memory, confused calls, length of time gone by, lack of manpower and numerous call volume, etc. This Deputy is allowed his due process rights to fight the independent review boards opinion. Why go about attacking him as being lazy or unfit to wear a badge off the bat? The circumstances may not be as they seem to appear. Defense will always attack LE, its a common ploy and people often love to hate on LE. KC from all appearances discarded Caylee and yes her destructive actions are destroying many lives due to her chosen path of lies and deception.

On the 12th of Aug RK called in a round white object, which seems to to be something one could see in plain view of sight and not in a bag? Another call a silver bag? He also said skull rolled or bounced out, tsk, tsk, seems it had not. RK's calls were not even consistent in what he was seeing during his calls. RK himself made it clear. "He was not going into the woods due to snakes," nor would he be required to ignore those fears and follow. Which was substantiated then by his discovery, of a large dead Diamond Back rattler ala freezer time and photo sale? RK companions disputed various statements made by RK as well? Mr W with bag on a truck only claims he was fluffed off as an after thought with no complaint prior at all? I say afford the Deputy and his family the dignity of his due process rights. Working LE do get names yelled at them, distorted complaints and often unfair complaints lodged against them. What did GA refer to SGT A and his fellow Officer's as?

An interesting and certainly different perspective than those presented thus far. It includes more of the finer details that I am to tired to check out :)
But I couldn't agree with you more regarding the undue and overblown criticism LE receives at times before due process proves or disproves them.

The Deputy is appealing the Independent Review Boards ruling. Currently he is still working under his due process rights, not fired yet. Which is fair doctrine. His interviews were several mths after the incidents, his memory potentially foggy at best. YM, is not accusing the Deputy anywhere that I have seen, nor would it serve any purpose. Contribution to the confusion can more than likely be contributed to memory, confused calls, length of time gone by, lack of manpower and numerous call volume, etc. This Deputy is allowed his due process rights to fight the independent review boards opinion. Why go about attacking him as being lazy or unfit to wear a badge off the bat? The circumstances may not be as they seem to appear. Defense will always attack LE, its a common ploy and people often love to hate on LE. KC from all appearances discarded Caylee and yes her destructive actions are destroying many lives due to her chosen path of lies and deception.

On the 12th of Aug RK called in a round white object, which seems to to be something one could see in plain view of sight and not in a bag? Another call a silver bag? He also said skull rolled or bounced out, tsk, tsk, seems it had not. RK's calls were not even consistent in what he was seeing during his calls. RK himself made it clear. "He was not going into the woods due to snakes," nor would he be required to ignore those fears and follow. Which was substantiated then by his discovery, of a large dead Diamond Back rattler ala freezer time and photo sale? RK companions disputed various statements made by RK as well? Mr W with bag on a truck only claims he was fluffed off as an after thought with no complaint prior at all? I say afford the Deputy and his family the dignity of his due process rights. Working LE do get names yelled at them, distorted complaints and often unfair complaints lodged against them. What did GA refer to SGT A and his fellow Officer's as?
Read the firing documents again. He lied and was fired for lying to Yuri, among other things.

I don't know about this. It says he was fired for lying to investigators - if that is the case, then I agree. Its perjury if its under oath. He, as an LE officer, has a duty to tell the truth. And since AR was also fired for lying, I buy it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't fault him for not checking better. LE received thousands of tips. When a random meter-reader calls and says he thinks he saw bones in a bag out in the open down the block from the A house, my first impression would be "yeah sure guy, sure you did." If I was RC, I would have assumed that since this area was checked, there'd be NO WAY OCSO would have failed to find something so obvious out in the open. Also since this area seemed to have a lot of garbage, I'd assume what RK did see was just garbage. RC may have been lazy, and may have assumed this was already taken care of. Also, if a wacky-psychic called and said the bones were in a certain area - if they ended up being in that area (due to coincidence), we'd be looking back with 20/20 hindsight and saying "why didn't he follow up on the psychic tip better??" Because it was one tip out of thousands!

I may just be jaded and cynical, but the ratio of a 2mi radius from the home where bodies are usually disposed of to the number of tips received, odds are at least one tip would statistically match up with where the body was found. Even if it had nothing credible about it. JMO

I agree - if this was a low profile case I don't believe he would have been fired - he didn't see anything and thought the area had already been searched - so what if he was rude to the meter reader -(not that I agree with being rude ever) it just doesn't justify him being fired IMO

High or low profile, how would you feel if that was your child or grandchild?

Another victim of KC. Officer Cain has children to support and now no job in this horrible economy. I am not sure what he was supposed to do other than go into the woods and look for what RK said he saw. When Officer Cain found nothing, what was he supposed to do - call in the Mounties?

There must be more to his firing than this one incident. I wish all the best for him and his family.

Edited to add: Good for him, I hope he wins his appeal.

Officer Cain was demoted for doing shoddy work, he was fired for lying about it! Have any of you who are sympathetic to this guy read the interviews he gave? He lied, tried to put off blame on to his supervisor and was rude to a witness! What else was LE supposed to do with him? As a parent/adult he should know first and foremost we don't lie to get out of trouble!!! So he really should have thought about this before talking to Detectives if he wanted to keep his job. He is one who IMO can't be blamed on KC, if it wasn't this incident it would have been another. Not everyone is cut out for LE.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ony-investigator-fired-091009,0,2152264.story

Deputy Cain testified on December 18, 2008 and again on January 14, 2009 and the investigation deemed his testimony to be "untruthful".

He was forced to turn in his sworn credentials and agency-issued equipment, including badges, gun, patrol car and radio and is no longer allowed to represent himself as a deputy.

An internal investigation completed March 26 found Cain to have violated Sheriff's Office standards: His performance was deemed unsatisfactory for failing to thoroughly investigate, and he was found to have been untruthful when questioned about the case.

This is the same cop who tossed a bag of toys back into the woods, after the call from KW.

And this is a copy of the sheriff's final finding on the Cain investigation.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/acrobat/2009-04/46154739.pdf

Officer Cain was demoted for doing shoddy work, he was fired for lying about it! Have any of you who are sympathetic to this guy read the interviews he gave? He lied, tried to put off blame on to his supervisor and was rude to a witness! What else was LE supposed to do with him? As a parent/adult he should know first and foremost we don't lie to get out of trouble!!! So he really should have thought about this before talking to Detectives if he wanted to keep his job. He is one who IMO can't be blamed on KC, if it wasn't this incident it would have been another. Not everyone is cut out for LE.

I completely agree!! I am sort of shocked people are having sympathy for him and blaming this on Casey?? Casey is horrible and vile - but she is not the cause for ALL that's wrong in the world. He's a lazy, ineffective police officer - and should not be in the position to protect if he does not take his responsibility to his community with 100% seriousness, and then tries to lie his way out of his self-caused problems!

I completely agree!! I am sort of shocked people are having sympathy for him and blaming this on Casey?? Casey is horrible and vile - but she is not the cause for ALL that's wrong in the world. He's a lazy, ineffective police officer - and should not be in the position to protect if he does not take his responsibility to his community with 100% seriousness, and then tries to lie his way out of his self-caused problems!

I totally agree with this post. Perhaps Officer Cain should have thought about how this would effect himself and his family before he lied under oath. There has to be consequences or everything would be a free for all. IMO

I am glad he is fired. And, Yep, unfortunately his firing will help the defense in twisting the story and saying there were no remains there when he looked. But hopefully the prosecution has enough forensics to prove her remains where there very long.

Can his *advertiser censored*****! He's a perfect example of everything that is wrong with our justice system, and he epitomizes the injustices that have been heaped upon our beautifual American angel, Caylee Marie Anthony, may she rest in peace.

I am glad he is fired. And, Yep, unfortunately his firing will help the defense in twisting the story and saying there were no remains there when he looked. But hopefully the prosecution has enough forensics to prove her remains where there very long.

I am not sure that this will help the defense. Just because he did a sloppy job of investigating a tip. If they call him to the stand, it is a no win situation for the defense. I doubt under oath in a criminal trial that he would be stupid enough to lie and be subject to perjury charges.

Alot of the talking heads on HLN and otherwhere have been babbling about what a boon this is to the defense. I gotta wonder why? I mean honestly how stupid do these lawyers think regular folks are? This guy screwed up in his job. he failed to find evidence that was there and lied about it. This was discovered, and he was disciplined in an appropriate manner. The system worked. There was certainly no police conspiracy at work here. Nor was there any signs of shoddy police work beyond the actions of 1 lazy bad attitude low level deputy. And yet some expert lawyers think this is enough to call the entire investigations competance into question???

I am not sure that this will help the defense. Just because he did a sloppy job of investigating a tip. If they call him to the stand, it is a no win situation for the defense. I doubt under oath in a criminal trial that he would be stupid enough to lie and be subject to perjury charges.

I don't think we the people will blame all cops involved for this one lazy one either, firing him actually proves they won't put up with his lack of ethics. But he was under the same oath talking to the detectives as he will be in court!!!

I don't think we the people will blame all cops involved for this one lazy one either, firing him actually proves they won't put up with his lack of ethics. But he was under the same oath talking to the detectives as he will be in court!!!

It may be, but he runs the risk of more than losing his job.

The defense isn't upset that he wasn't doing his job, didn't find the body right away, thus it shows LE is incompetent, IMO, or that he may not have been truthful. They were most likely perfectly happy with his saying that he went right to the place where the body was later found, looked all around diligently, and there was nothing there. They want to use it to support the theory the body was placed there later by someone other than the defendant. There's a problem with his telling two versions of events. Everyone can argue that their preferred version is the true one and not the other. In the end, I think it will be believable that he didn't look well enough at what Kronk told him. The scientific evidence will support it, etc. The other witnesses show he didn't diligently look.

Have a nice holiday: :)

I don't understand this comment are you viewing the Deputy as being cold or indifferent to a missing child remains? From what determination could that be established, seriously I'm not being snide I'm confused.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-caylee-anthony-investigator-fired-091009,0,2152264.story

Deputy Cain testified on December 18, 2008 and again on January 14, 2009 and the investigation deemed his testimony to be "untruthful".

He was forced to turn in his sworn credentials and agency-issued equipment, including badges, gun, patrol car and radio and is no longer allowed to represent himself as a deputy.

An internal investigation completed March 26 found Cain to have violated Sheriff's Office standards: His performance was deemed unsatisfactory for failing to thoroughly investigate, and he was found to have been untruthful when questioned about the case.

This is the same cop who tossed a bag of toys back into the woods, after the call from KW.

It's clear from your post that you misunderstand standard operating procedures within various LE agencies. My points were, this has become an open attack against the Deputy and viewing the various reactions on this topic, its exactly the type of negative activity defense loves to see. One of the objectives for the defense is to make LE look shoddy and the phrase Junk Science should come to mind, pick apart one pick apart all. If and I say if the Deputy is guilty of inattention to duty then that will be determined by his day before the board and or court. Due process is his right. LE took the direction they felt they needed to take as did the city, now the Deputy comes forward via challenge. It is what it is.

Officer Cain was demoted for doing shoddy work, he was fired for lying about it! Have any of you who are sympathetic to this guy read the interviews he gave? He lied, tried to put off blame on to his supervisor and was rude to a witness!

What does sympathy have to do with technical issue's? Others have their views too and if their empathetic their empathetic, varying views are healthy for a discussion. You appear to be also calling the Deputy a liar, prior to his full due process rights because of what you read and upon your reading it at only face value.. This makes one side all correct and the other side immediately wrong, plus let alone guilty right off the bat. Please take that into consideration as that does not seem like its fair doctrine. Maybe your views come from your interpretation of his interviews. Either way he still also has rights and that's important. Or maybe your concerned his alleged actions or in-actions will negatively affect the outcome of the case to a great degree? I think not but then again I see through what's really occurring within this saga.

I'm further confused on how you perceive demotion for a Deputy who is entitled to his full due process. The Deputy was not demoted he was required to turn in his gear and equipment, its procedural. Is the Independent Review Board looking to fire him? Yes in short. The Deputy was still working last I read. Again this is where his due process rights came into play. Surly you don't have a problem with his rights to a fair hearing since the Independent Review is the beginning process in this procedure?

The news headlines had him fired which was not factual, unfortunately this issue has stirred up a few peoples negative perceptions though, such a shame. I'm not taking this personal and I trust the SA and LE have done an amazingly good job with both the investigation and all the curves thrown in heeding their established evidence aka defense's negative ploy, attack LE/FBI/SA Junk Science, etc. I'm very familiar with how Defense operates in order to serve their best interest aka their clients. Defense will always pick apart LE if needed, its a given. Junk Science and this story tells me Defense is floundering!

My final words are Justice for Caylee is all that matters. I'm not easily side tracked by defense's tactic angles of swaying.

Originally Posted by missmybaby

Quote:

I don't understand this comment are you viewing the Deputy as being cold or indifferent to a missing child remains? From what determination could that be established, seriously I'm not being snide I'm confused.

Quote:

OT-good to see ya Check!

Quote:

If you go back to where I first voiced my opinion this was OP and my reply. I believe it doesn't matter if it was a high profile case or not. If that was my baby or gbaby left in the woods from Aug to Dec because officer Cain by his own admission didn't follow thru on a witness statement, I'd be very upset.

I agree - if this was a low profile case I don't believe he would have been fired - he didn't see anything and thought the area had already been searched - so what if he was rude to the meter reader -(not that I agree with being rude ever) it just doesn't justify him being fired IMO

I 100% agree we're all entitled to our own opinions and feelings. But all those folks posting Cain was fired for not doing his job well are misinformed, Cain was not fired for Shoddy work. He was fired because of all the lies he told the detectives. This is not my opinion, it was the opinion of the officers who filed this report.

missmybaby:

CheckDaFacts
What does sympathy have to do with technical issue's? Others have their views too and if their empathetic their empathetic, varying views are healthy for a discussion. You appear to be also calling the Deputy a liar, prior to his full due process rights because of what you read and upon your reading it at only face value.. This makes one side all correct and the other side immediately wrong, plus let alone guilty right off the bat. Please take that into consideration as that does not seem like its fair doctrine. Maybe your views come from your interpretation of his interviews. Either way he still also has rights and that's important. Or maybe your concerned his alleged actions or in-actions will negatively affect the outcome of the case to a great degree? I think not but then again I see through what's really occurring within this saga.

I'm further confused on how you perceive demotion for a Deputy who is entitled to his full due process. The Deputy was not demoted he was required to turn in his gear and equipment, its procedural. Is the Independent Review Board looking to fire him? Yes in short. The Deputy was still working last I read. Again this is where his due process rights came into play. Surly you don't have a problem with his rights to a fair hearing since the Independent Review is the beginning process in this procedure?

Maybe I misunderstood, I viewed losing badge, gun and title for X number of days as his original punishment for doing shoddy work. At that time he was still entitled to be reinstated as a LEO, if he was cleared by the review board. Then a review of his statements and actions was completed showing he indeed did lie to the detectives.

Yes he is still employed by OCSD, but not as a deputy. He is a supply clerk.

My opinion, which you said we are all entitled to is, he lied. I came to this conclusion from reading his sworn testimony given on different days. He back tracks, he changes his story, he even tries to pawn the blame off on his supervisor. He gives different accounts than other witnesses.

I don't know why he didn't follow thru with investigating the claim of Kronk saying there is a human skull in a bag.

I also don't know why he picked up a bag of toys, found a few hundred feet from where Caylee was found and chucked them into the trees rather than taking a report of a suspicious bag in a critical area. When there is a known missing toddler who lived around the block. Shouldn't it be up to CSI or detectives to say if there is a connection or not?

I don't think Cain has done irreparable harm to the state, by following up on witness concerns OCSD has even showed themselves to be above the mediocre who wouldn't care.

Due process, it's a funny thing. Some people in some jobs are able to say "Fired, I'm not fired." And they go right back to work, then the powers that be jump thru a few hoops and fire them again. I was fired once, if I had tried to say "No, I don't believe you" they would have called the cops and had me removed. Heck, maybe even arrested.

I know Not everyone is cut out to be LEO, no shame there. Maybe the poor quality of Cains work is a reflection on his dissatisfaction with his job.

I hope I answered your question in here somewhere. I didn't think you were snide at all.

[/I]

Officer Cain was demoted for doing shoddy work, he was fired for lying about it! Have any of you who are sympathetic to this guy read the interviews he gave? He lied, tried to put off blame on to his supervisor and was rude to a witness!

What does sympathy have to do with technical issue's? Others have their views too and if their empathetic their empathetic, varying views are healthy for a discussion. You appear to be also calling the Deputy a liar, prior to his full due process rights because of what you read and upon your reading it at only face value.. This makes one side all correct and the other side immediately wrong, plus let alone guilty right off the bat. Please take that into consideration as that does not seem like its fair doctrine. Maybe your views come from your interpretation of his interviews. Either way he still also has rights and that's importantequipment, its procedural. Is the Independent Review Board looking to fire him? Yes in short. The Deputy was still working last I read. Again this is where his due process rights came into play. Surly you don't have a problem with his rights to a fair hearing since the Independent Review is the beginning process in this procedure?

Snipped and bolded by me

What's the difference between the OP expressing an opinion about this deputy's guilt regarding the charges laid against him by LE, and all the multiple posters who daily express on this forum their belief that KC is guilty of the charges against her? Both 'accused' have the right of due process and the right to be presumed innocent until they have had a fair hearing but I don't see many people protesting that KC has been subjected to an unfair doctrine or that it's wrong to make assumptions that one side is all correct and the other side immediately wrong in her case. In essence it's exactly the same situation, except that Cain is in the position of 'defendant', and yet you seem to be advocating that he is fully entitled to defend himself whilst at the same time expressing some contempt for anything KC's defence might do on her behalf!

Snipped and bolded by me

What's the difference between the OP expressing an opinion about this deputy's guilt regarding the charges laid against him by LE, and all the multiple posters who daily express on this forum their belief that KC is guilty of the charges against her? Both 'accused' have the right of due process and the right to be presumed innocent until they have had a fair hearing but I don't see many people protesting that KC has been subjected to an unfair doctrine or that it's wrong to make assumptions that one side is all correct and the other side immediately wrong in her case. In essence it's exactly the same situation, except that Cain is in the position of 'defendant', and yet you seem to be advocating that he is fully entitled to defend himself whilst at the same time expressing some contempt for anything KC's defence might do on her behalf!

I guess people are human and imperfect, and work from some sort of ethical, moral sense of proportion, rightly or wrongly. Suspected murder of a helpless child by her own mother versus suspected negligent performance of duty or failure to tell the truth as to a specific incident. They fit very, very, very, very far apart on a spectrum of suspected wrongdoing. Both people at issue are entitled to defend themselves and get all the process that's due. At the same time, people can express their opinions about that occurring.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back