2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

'Person of interest' a euphemism
After a recent shooting of the four police officers in the Seattle area, the police chief made it clear that they were searching for Maurice Clemmons as only a "person of interest" and not as a suspect. What is the difference, and what are the laws regarding aiding or assisting a person of interest vs. a suspect?
The difference between a "person of interest" and a suspect is not much or nothing at all.
In an interview with the American Journalism Review in 2006, Jim Kouri, then a spokesman for the National Association of Chiefs of Police, said "person of interest" often is just another word for "suspect."
"If it's a suspect and you say 'person of interest,' you're using the euphemism to avoid problems down the line," said Kouri. Police sometimes "try to maintain that the person really isn't a suspect" so they can question him without Miranda warnings, Kouri told AJR. "You don't want the guy to lawyer up."
Kouri said "it's the legal counsel telling police chiefs that they should instruct their officers and train them to use that term."
When the phrase first was coined isn't known, but it was used prominently to describe Richard Jewell in the investigation of the 1996 bombing at the Atlanta Olympics.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1060497.ece

I've been told by an LE friend that unless they have you on video tape and are hunting for you for an arrest or they have an arrest warrant for you in hand and can't locate you, they will rarely call someone a suspect.

How often do you hear LE name a POI and down the road say he's no longer a person of interest, he's a suspect now...in the media? They just don't. Usually it's a person of interest that is eventually arrested.

I believe that the POI label is largely used when they need to call for the help of the public in finding someone they haven't identified, i.e. "LE has a POI that is a white male, 6', average weight... anyone with any info should...".

If they know who they are interested in, his/her name and address, etc., why should they bother to announce anything until they are ready to arrest? I am sure their main concern is not to satisfy the message boards spectators.

You know, Terri has not had a chance to respond to Kaine filings. Kaine struck first and fast. Terri will soon have her chance. I predict today may bring even more strange news.

The whole "POI" moniker came as a result of the Richard Jewel case (the Atlanta bombing case) where this innocent man who found a backpack with a bomb in it was then accused of being the bomber. His reputation was ruined, as was his life. He sued and won. Since that case police departments are very careful not to call someone a 'suspect' until they are about to arrest (or have arrested) a person.

So they use the term "POI" to try and distinguish someone's status, even though it's really just a game of semantics being played.

Calliope, I agree with you here. I'm inclined to the last one -- that she did something that put Kyron at risk and led directly to his disappearance. If she finally did come clean, that might have been the last straw.

This could also have been something that was brewing before the disappearance.

All along I never really believed Terri actually took Kyron out of the school, and there wasn't any real evidence pointing to her doing so. I never ruled Terri out completely, but I also considered a 'stranger' abduction a possibility and that the setting and events of the day would have given that person a huge advantage. I did feel if Kyron was targeted specifically, it was related to activities of his parents or siblings.

I don't believe for one minute that she is not a POI. And seriously, even if their marriage was ont he rocks, wouldn't you stay with the person through this just because?

Right now I applaud LE for the way this case has been handled. I believe from early on they suspected Terri was responsible for whatever happened to Kyron but they have handled themselves in such a way as to not compromise the integrity of the investigation and to not spook her. They are handling her with kit gloves for a very specific reason and I suspect it's because she is very mentally fragile and possibly suffering from PPD. I also suspect this is part of the reason why Kaine filed for divorce and a restraining order.
Just because they're not naming her a POI doesn't mean she isn't a POI...I think she's been the only POI from early on and they're just gathering the needed evidence to make sure justice is served for Kyron.

I don't believe for one minute that she is not a POI. And seriously, even if their marriage was ont he rocks, wouldn't you stay with the person through this just because?

Not necessarily. I can see the disappearance making the situation completely intolerable for me.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've seen plenty of cases where an abusive husband grabs the kid and blames the mother when he thinks the mother is about to move out on him. It's another way of asserting control.

Even if it's true, there just is not enough information to know anything. And I'm withholding judgment until we have a better source than just "a source." As far as I can tell, this is still rumor.

After a recent shooting of the four police officers in the Seattle area, the police chief made it clear that they were searching for Maurice Clemmons as only a "person of interest" and not as a suspect. What is the difference, and what are the laws regarding aiding or assisting a person of interest vs. a suspect?
The difference between a "person of interest" and a suspect is not much or nothing at all.
In an interview with the American Journalism Review in 2006, Jim Kouri, then a spokesman for the National Association of Chiefs of Police, said "person of interest" often is just another word for "suspect."
"If it's a suspect and you say 'person of interest,' you're using the euphemism to avoid problems down the line," said Kouri. Police sometimes "try to maintain that the person really isn't a suspect" so they can question him without Miranda warnings, Kouri told AJR. "You don't want the guy to lawyer up."
Kouri said "it's the legal counsel telling police chiefs that they should instruct their officers and train them to use that term."
When the phrase first was coined isn't known, but it was used prominently to describe Richard Jewell in the investigation of the 1996 bombing at the Atlanta Olympics.

I've been told by an LE friend that unless they have you on video tape and are hunting for you for an arrest or they have an arrest warrant for you in hand and can't locate you, they will rarely call someone a suspect.

How often do you hear LE name a POI and down the road say he's no longer a person of interest, he's a suspect now...in the media? They just don't. Usually it's a person of interest that is eventually arrested.

However we have LE saying she isn't a suspect, which of course can be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I don't know exactly when the police are required to inform a person they're interviewing of their Constitutional rights, or what exactly would trigger that process, but reading of miranda is not required for a person to exercise those rights at any point, of course. They exist, regardless of what LE may say or do.

I am pressed for time so forgive me if this is not a unique thought, but I am thinking that they aren't naming her as a POI because then she would have to lawyer up and any chance of finding Kyron through her would be gone forever.

I'm curious about those of you who think he is alive, that she gave him to someone. Why then the pings on Sauvie Island? Do you think that is where the transfer occurred?

I hope you are right.

Respectfully, BBM and not directed at you, darlin -- just bouncing off your post. IMHO, there's a big difference for LE to actually name a suspect or POI as opposed to saying a person is NOT a suspect or POI.

LE's actions have made it seem that TH is a POI and they have been so tight-lipped in this case. There have been many posts here and all over the net asking if she's NOT a POI, why doesn't LE just say so?

Well, they did, and now some peeps think they must be lying? I just don't get it.

I'd still leave whomever lost my kid. Period. The circumstances really wouldn't matter. I could never let it go. I reckon that makes me a bad person or whatever but I couldn't help but think that this person cost me my child every time I looked at them.

I agree that I could not forgive someone who lost my child....if they did it on purpose or through some error on their part. On the other hand, if my husband drove my child to school, watched him enter the school like every other child, ensured he was inside and then drove off to work and after that he disappeared it would be the school I could not forgive not my husband. He just did what he was suppossed to do.

I concur. Naming her a "suspect" gives her certain legal rights. LE wants to keep all of the psychological leverage it can.

We have all connected the dots.

Being a suspect is not a legal term AFAIK. It is just a descriptive term. I don't think you have any more rights as a suspect unless you are actually in some form of police custody or otherwise entitled to be mirandized.

IMO, LE is stalling for time for an air tight case.
IMO, they want a body or Kyron back safe.
IMO, that is why they told her to do her normal stuff, like gym.
She is suppose to even be blogging on Kyron's face book.
LE is looking for more, IMO

It could be that something incidental was discovered during the investigation -- something not directly related to Kyron's disappearance, but something so deeply hurtful to Kaine that he couldn't bear to stay in the same house with Terri any longer and, in his pain, he retaliated by filing for divorce.

I could easily see that as a possibility...IF there weren't a TRO on behalf of the baby involved. That just goobers it all up. :crazy: I guess it could be taken a step further to say that, if the above happened, Terri might've threatened harm to herself and Kaine feels it's unsafe for the baby to be around her.

I'm running out of benefit of the doubt options for Terri. The above was my best shot at making a case for it. Still, I'm not completely convinced that LE didn't mean exactly what they said -- that she's not a POI or suspect. Maybe they are being truthful, even if it is SOP not to name someone prior to arrest.

We need a "pulling-my-hair-out" emoticon. ::insert teeny, tiny Kojak here::

I just don't get it. I'm racking my brain out trying to get it but I don't. If my child was missing and I found out ANYTHING about my husband, affair, abuse etc. I would likely kick him out of the house but to actually go to a lawyer and start divorce proceedings would be the last thing on my mind. My brain would be 10000% occupied with my missing child. You could always get a divorce later.

However we have LE saying she isn't a suspect, which of course can be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I don't know exactly when the police are required to inform a person they're interviewing of their Constitutional rights, or what exactly would trigger that process, but reading of miranda is not required for a person to exercise those rights at any point, of course. They exist, regardless of what LE may say or do.

I believe so far she has been cooperating, as in voluntarily talking to LE without having to be in custody.

You know, Terri has not had a chance to respond to Kaine filings. Kaine struck first and fast. Terri will soon have her chance. I predict today may bring even more strange news.

I have always felt that in the end, this case wasn't going to turn out as so many expected. Even given the events of the last day, I still don't. That's not to say I don't think Terri was involved either directly or peripherally. IMO at the very least she knew far more than she was admitting to; I feel when it's all said and done more than a few of us are going to be blindsided by the facts of what really happened that day. I don't believe for a minute that it's as neatly tied up as it may appear.

Being a suspect is not a legal term AFAIK. It is just a descriptive term. I don't think you have any more rights as a suspect unless you are actually in some form of police custody or otherwise entitled to be mirandized.

Can you translate for me?? LOL:)

I have always felt that in the end, this case wasn't going to turn out as so many expected. Even given the events of the last day, I still don't. That's not to say I don't think Terri was involved either directly or peripherally. IMO at the very least she knew far more than she was admitting to; I feel when it's all said and done more than a few of us are going to be blindsided by the facts of what really happened that day. I don't believe for a minute that it's as neatly tied up as it may appear.

I am totally with you, gal pal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back