2010.08.09 Transcript of Jose Baez & Robin Lunceford Released

I have no idea what JB was so worried about....much ado about nothing. imo
The part I don't like is when this Maya supposedly said the detective was filling in the blanks for her and wanted "proof". Which detective was it that visited Maya?

I love the part where he mentions that the new judge, the Chief Judge, won't allow any of this nonsense...YET HE WENT IN FRONT OF HHJP WITH NONSENSE ABOUT THESE PHONE CALLS! *facepalm*

And she even tells him that "these phones are recorded"! Baez is the most moronic lawyer EVER. These calls were yawn worthy!

The only thing of interest to me is that he asked her who would hold Maya's letters, and she said it was Maya's mother - so he's worried that the state would think he was trying to get those letters and maybe hide them? That's the only thing I could see, if Baez is paranoid enough at this time, that would get him thinking he might get into trouble for those letters (were they the ones already released, btw?).

I don't think Maya knows anything - I would be surprised if she talked to KC. I listened to most of her phone calls home today (that rhornsby) posted and she mentions Casey a few times to her dad but doesn't really make it seem like she really knows KC or even talked to her.

In the phone calls home her mother sounds weary and exhausted and both her parents repeat over and over for her to not mess up, to mind her business and to stay away from others. I actually feel bad for them.

Is there a thread for Maya's phonecalls?

Here they are:

Thread #1:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5034839&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Robyn Adams, Benhaida, and Derkovic -The Jail Calls INCLUDED #2[/ame]

Thread #2:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5033071&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Robyn Adams, Benhaida, and Derkovic Jail Calls[/ame]

Well JB certainly made a mountain out of that particular mole hill.

Nums24, weren't you, Sleutherontheside and Faefrost having a very recent conversation about the likelihood of a third call taped and Baez not sure if it was included?
Just two or so days ago?
There is kinda nothing on these transcripts that I can see even close to Baez's usual poor form.

I definitely suspect there's a third call (or more) that (as JB said) did NOT include the "this call may be recorded" warning, because RL successfully circumvented the jail telephone rules. These calls might actually include JB's thoughts about Casey's case ("work product"), as JB claimed in his motion. Then, when the SA told JB they had tapes of phone calls between him and RL, he thought, "Oh carp! Those calls were recorded after all!" and fired off his motion before firing up his brain. :loser:

IMO the blacked-out stuff probably relates to alleged wrongdoing on the part of jail staff or prisoners that is still under investigation--or suggested methods of circumventing jail procedures that the jail does not want to become general knowledge.

There has to be another call... one where Jose B thought that they were not being recorded (and it possibly wasn't recorded) because Robin even told him that it was being recorded after he had pressed "one" for the call to be accepted.

None of these women matter... can they get the letters in without having even Robyn Adams as a witness?

I definitely suspect there's a third call (or more) that (as JB said) did NOT include the "this call may be recorded" warning, because RL successfully circumvented the jail telephone rules. These calls might actually include JB's thoughts about Casey's case ("work product"), as JB claimed in his motion. Then, when the SA told JB they had tapes of phone calls between him and RL, he thought, "Oh carp! Those calls were recorded after all!" and fired off his motion before firing up his brain. :loser:

IMO the blacked-out stuff probably relates to alleged wrongdoing on the part of jail staff or prisoners that is still under investigation--or suggested methods of circumventing jail procedures that the jail does not want to become general knowledge.

Thank you for your insight!

Did you see the boxes that were checked off on page 2? I thought it might be the inmate's parents and jail staff that were blocked out. I also wondered if it the redacted info names specific investigators.

Thank you for your insight!

Did you see the boxes that were checked off on page 2? I thought it might be the inmate's parents and jail staff that were blocked out. I also wondered if it the redacted info names specific investigators.
bbm
I'd be willing to bet that it does and that is what bothers me. I don't really care what these jailbirds sit and talk about all day but when they start dragging LE and Investigators that have worked on this case into their little circles then that causes doubt. I do not want to see these people have their names blackened to further some early release agenda.

This is why Jose wanted them kept away, IMO;

*She claims she was the victim of misconduct by the SAO - This gives her a reason to lie.

*She claims the prosecutors threatened her that if she went to the media with this she'd be punished by having to stay in prison and that nobody would help her with her appeal in Miami. - She's accusing the prosecutors of misconduct. She names the names of who Maya, "allegedly" talked to. They've been redacted but they are there in the SAO's copies. Wouldn't he be obligated to report the alleged prosecutorial misconduct?

*Her story changes. In the first version she leaves out Maya asking her about what she could get out of lying. In the second version she includes it. Also in the first version Maya had already contacted the SAO and in the second version they sit down and make up the story and then a month goes by. In the second story the prosecutors made the story up for her. In the first story Maya talks to the SA on the phone. In the second they come out to the prison to meet Maya. - That's not helpful.

*Would the other inmates really care if Maya lied to help convict the murderer of her own kid. :waitasec: These are women inmates. Some with kids of their own.

*She says that Maya told her JB was having a personal relationship with his client KC. - This, IMO, is why JB fought so hard to keep this call from being heard. The funny thing is that if he had just laughed it off and acted like these are the rantings of a lunatic it might not matter. After fighting tooth and nail it sure makes it look like that might be true. If you look at other circumstantial evidence it looks like that might be true, JMO. (If that is inappropriate mods let me know. I am just commenting on what Lunceford said in her call and am giving a reason why that might bother him.)

*She accuses the prison system of being corrupt. - looks like a conspiracy theorist.

(BTW, it appears he does press the button to accept the call.)

There was a statement Robin made on the first call. She is telling the secretary about the 'real story' Maya told her>

"The REAL (my bold) story that she told me what the girl told her is nothing that any of you have, that she hasn't even told because I've never seen it on the news".

Basically Robin is saying that KC told Maya a completely different 'real story' that KC obviously has not told anyone else. Now if I were JB I most certainly would not want this little bit of info to get out - if it's true, that is.

However, since JB did not hear this conversation, only the secretary, he may not have heard what she said. However, the secretary did say she was taking notes.

In the call between RL and JB she does tell him that Maya said that JB and KC had a 'personal relationship' - I can see JB not wanting that little tidbit to ever see the light of day!

Those are the only two things I could find that might make JB try to get the conversations sealed.

There was a statement Robin made on the first call. She is telling the secretary about the 'real story' Maya told her>

"The REAL (my bold) story that she told me what the girl told her is nothing that any of you have, that she hasn't even told because I've never seen it on the news".

Basically Robin is saying that KC told Maya a completely different 'real story' that KC obviously has not told anyone else. Now if I were JB I most certainly would not want this little bit of info to get out - if it's true, that is.

However, since JB did not hear this conversation, only the secretary, he may not have heard what she said. However, the secretary did say she was taking notes.

In the call between RL and JB she does tell him that Maya said that JB and KC had a 'personal relationship' - I can see JB not wanting that little tidbit to ever see the light of day!

Those are the only two things I could find that might make JB try to get the conversations sealed.

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought the real story she talks about was about Maya's story being a lie.

One more thing I just thought of, and this could mean nothing but when she accuses JB of the relationship he doesn't say anything like that's not true or that's ridiculous. It may just be he was writing notes and didn't want to interrupt her, but I did notice that. JMO

Does anyone know if NG or JVM discussed that particular part of the call?

Robin was claiming in the transcripts so presumably on the tapes that she was scheming with Maya to tell lies about the KC case... so from the word go there could be no credibility to anything that comes out of her mouth.

I actually feel sorry for JB and his secretary for having to sit and listen to that.

I can't imagine why JB would even entertain any thoughts of this woman beyond that phone call, or fight these tapes? Am I wrong in thinking that neither Maya nor Robin will ever see the inside of the courtroom to give any testimony in KC's case? The state doesn't need anything they have to say. They have the letters going from KC. It really doesn't matter who they were going to. The state can prove that they came from KC and that they were written by her. Yeah JB could call one of them, but would the judge even permit such testimony? What would be its relevance to the case? "Did you read the letters?" "Yes" "Thank you please step down". Unless the state were to try and get that rumored testimony from Maya that KC claimed she used chloroform... but why would they? They certainly don't need to be putting a questionable prison snitch in front of the jury when they have much a much better and compelling case without her. And unless the SA calls Maya, I don't think there is anything that JB can do with Robin? Or am I missing something?

If the inmate didn't ask JB to represent her was it not technically a violation of bar ethics for him to talk and ask her questions without speaking to her legal representative first? It would seem that he would have to stop her and tell her I want to hear what you have to say, but I must first get permission to speak with you via your attorney.

So, JB speaks that he knows the new judge is no nonsense -- so the big question I get out of this is, Why are you still being nonsensical JB?

PS I thought call one and two sounded very much alike, well rehearsed.

I agree that the one thing I read that Baez probably didn't want public was the mention of the rumor that Jose Baez had a "personal relationship" with his client. Baez did not interrupt or deny it at all during the recorded convo...just let it slide right on by! I would think that most professional businesspersons would clear up a statement like that with an emphatic denial, short and sweet... something like "Whoa there, I just want to be clear that this is a tabloid rumor, I do not mess around with clients, and I'll be sure to make that clear to Maya when we follow up with her!

What a waste, a total waste of time! LOL! Seriously, though, this is just another wild goose chase on the part of the defense and I would guess none of this will even come into play in the trial. JMHO.

This may be totally unnecessary but I thought I'd mention that we have 2 Robin's in jail. Robyn Adams that was housed with Casey in Orange Co, and this newer - Robin Lunceford, the pro jailhouse snitch.

This nut thinks she went to law school. Blackstone is some crummy online paralegal course from what I can tell.

Can you polygraph to that?? lol Yes all this shows is that Jose is a confirmed, unabashed liar and Lunceford has a very active imagination and thinks she's going to be a martyr and then get a lighter sentence. Waste huge waste. This just makes Baez look bizarre.

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought the real story she talks about was about Maya's story being a lie.

I reread the paragraph and I think I had the 'gist of it' right. Let me quote the whole thing and perhaps we can figure out exactly what RL is saying: Italics are mine to emphasize.

"Okay, bottom line, it's a lie. I can polygraph that I sit with her when she made up the story. The real story that she told me what the girl told her is nothing that any of you have, that she hasn't even told because I've never seen it on the news. She's never said a word because she doesn't think anyone would believe her, and Maya just made this whole thing up.

I think RL is saying that KC told Maya a 'real story' that is not out there yet, so to speak. what I am having a problem with is the last sentence - how she never said a word because she doesn't think anyone would believe her - is RL talking about Maya or KC in that sentence.

Would love to get other peoples perspective on this statement. Are the last few words the key - Maya just made this whole thing up - or is RL saying Maya made some stuff up because no one would believe what KC really told her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious
Back