2010.10.08 - MISTY's St. Johns Co. FELONY SENTENCING @1:30PM (secret witness?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not want to see her get Youthful Offender status. Misty needs to be taught a serious lesson, IMO, and some grownup prison time will do that. She broke the law by dealing and she was fully aware of what she was doing as well as the seriousness of it.

Amen! That was no youth dealing...that was an adult. I don't care what background someone comes from, it's pretty much a no brainer that drug dealing is against the law, no matter what age.

I agree with you there MADJGNLAW, it looks to me that if Fields isn't going for the combined charges that he hasn't helped her very much even if she gets YO in one of the counties. I do have a question for anyone here, if she is declared a Youthful Offender in this sentencing today, is she then considered a Youthful Offender in the other sentencing as well? If not combined, then the attorney has not helped Misty in any way at all, IMO. That said, I not only think that Hope, Donna and Tommy's attornies totally failed them in their representation of them, but I can add Fields to my opinion as well. Remind me if I ever get into trouble in Florida to bring my own attorney. Does anyone know how much average time was sentenced in a similar case where the charged decided on a trial jury? I know that here when you have a jury looking at young people the ages of Hope and Misty they usually don't send them away for what acquaints to a life sentence for them. Makes me think that Hope, Misty, Donna and Tommy would have fared better for themselves with a jury.

Lone, if Fields is going for YO status for Misty, her best bet is for him to get it in St. Johns, if she can get it at all. If she gets a lighter sentence in St. Johns, no matter what she gets for all remaining charges in Putnam she will not serve more than 25 years (plus whatever St. Johns hands down).

I do not know if concurrent sentencing can include two counties. Since they aren't the same court, but all charges were for the same "stream of offenses" it might be possible for one county to impose their sentence and the second county to impose sentence to run concurrent. I just do not know if that can be done.

The fact that charges in both counties were not consolidated leads me to believe that request was made, but denied. But that would have been a while back; maybe Misty's situation has changed in the eyes of the courts since then...or maybe not.

The only thing I could find on YO status when a person has multiple charges is for having charges considered as a "stream of offenses." I have not found anything addressing what is possible for an attorney to do for a client when that "stream" must be considered in separate courts.

All JMO.

I think if anybody in this case deserves a deal on the drug cases it's Misty. She deserves youthful offender. She grew up in a family that did drugs together! She knows nothing else! She has a sixth grade education! and bad taste in men. She was seventeen when all this started and has no previous criminal record!! who else qualifies for YO if she doesn't???

Amen! That was no youth dealing...that was an adult. I don't care what background someone comes from, it's pretty much a no brainer that drug dealing is against the law, no matter what age.

you're right Misty was acting like an adultin the only role she has ever seen adults operate. Either you're a dealer or you're a user. The only life she has ever known. I feel sorry for Misty, she should have been saved by DCF years ago

Well, I am only speaking my own opinion, but what Misty grew up with can be looked at in two different ways. If she did grow up in a family that did drugs together, then she is fully aware of how drugs are obtained (illegally), and what drugs do to people.

IMO, a person can be very smart streetwise with no formal education. They know what it is from the mere repeating of it. If she knows nothing else, then she is in bad need of learning what a tremendous mistake drugs are. And there are people who decide to have a better life than they grew up with.

All JMO and Moo.

I have no idea what sentence Misty will get this afternoon, but I really would like to see her get at least 6 years. I just wish there was a way for her to get to prison before the sentencing in Putnam County, but that will not happen. I want to see her get so scared that she gives up all information in regard to Haleigh. I believe that Ronald was the so-called mastermind behind the drug dealing because he had been doing it for years, IMO. He got Misty to follow him into it, also just IMO.

With what I saw in those videos of her wheeling and dealing (under Ronald's teaching), I do not want to see her get Youthful Offender status. Misty needs to be taught a serious lesson, IMO, and some grownup prison time will do that. She broke the law by dealing and she was fully aware of what she was doing as well as the seriousness of it.

I do not think Tommy OR Grandma Flo would be good witnesses. And that is IMO. I cannot wait to see just who this secret witness is and what they say. I think the best witness would be her mother, Lisa, telling the court that Misty had had a hard life and had been a victim at a young age. Not saying the Judge would buy it and be lenient because of it, though. Lenient in my book would be 6 years.

Judges all over this country have been very lenient at times and it has backfired on themselves as well as society. I imagine this Judge has seriously looked at Misty's case and already pretty much knows the type of sentence she will impose.

All just MOO.

I agree with everything you said, LA. My opinion, Ron is the ring leader of this drug bunch. As we've said here before, Ron chose Misty, one reason, because she is young and somewhat naive (sp). She was "in training" for what Ron wanted her to be, to do. Someone like Misty can be manipulated so easily, and, in my opinion, RC, Tn, and AS are master manipulators and control freaks.:furious: MOO

you're right Misty was acting like an adultin the only role she has ever seen adults operate. Either you're a dealer or you're a user. The only life she has ever known. I feel sorry for Misty, she should have been saved by DCF years ago

I certainly do agree that she should have been saved by DCF years ago, wickedeye.

* Your words are bolded by you, so I cannot bold the words I agree with, wickedeye.

Maybe Donna will be Misty's surprise witness, with those secret tapes she recorded. If Misty brings them in at her trial as evidence that she was selling drugs just to entrap the right people and get them in jail to be interrogated, then maybe Donna can use them as new evidence in her appeal.Maybe??:innocent:

BBM... Good thought wickedeye! If so, and if Misty has really confided in Donna, then hopefully the TRUTH could possibly come out today! Maybe justice for Haleigh could be very close! :praying::praying::praying:

I have no idea what sentence Misty will get this afternoon, but I really would like to see her get at least 6 years. I just wish there was a way for her to get to prison before the sentencing in Putnam County, but that will not happen. I want to see her get so scared that she gives up all information in regard to Haleigh. I believe that Ronald was the so-called mastermind behind the drug dealing because he had been doing it for years, IMO. He got Misty to follow him into it, also just IMO.

With what I saw in those videos of her wheeling and dealing (under Ronald's teaching), I do not want to see her get Youthful Offender status. Misty needs to be taught a serious lesson, IMO, and some grownup prison time will do that. She broke the law by dealing and she was fully aware of what she was doing as well as the seriousness of it.

I do not think Tommy OR Grandma Flo would be good witnesses. And that is IMO. I cannot wait to see just who this secret witness is and what they say. I think the best witness would be her mother, Lisa, telling the court that Misty had had a hard life and had been a victim at a young age. Not saying the Judge would buy it and be lenient because of it, though. Lenient in my book would be 6 years.

Judges all over this country have been very lenient at times and it has backfired on themselves as well as society. I imagine this Judge has seriously looked at Misty's case and already pretty much knows the type of sentence she will impose.

All just MOO.

Good morning LaLaw, IMO if Misty's attorney hasn't tried negotiating a plea deal for Misty to tell all at this time, he's not going to ever do it. But, although I would like to shake the truth out of her myself I also have to consider that Misty doesn't have a record of any kind. She was and still is a young teenager who was heavily influenced by a much older person in the drug dealing. I think a person such as Misty is exactly what the Youth Offender Program was created for. It was created for teenagers who think that they are ten feet tall and bullet proof, influenced by an older, criminally minded person, and with bad family histories. Misty might would benefit and become a valued member of the community. That said, when I consider that she could tell what happened to Haleigh and could get the case solved, if I were the SA I would make her an offer to drop the drug charges for a "tell all".

I also agree that she should have known better...but she didn't. Drug users to me are victims more than anything else, and dealers are not, but the lines get very blurry when it involves an uneducated, emotionally vulnerable, young girl being led by bad examples. But it is just my opinion, and I have all the respect for your differing opinion. Let the opinions roll.........:woohoo:

I also agree that she should have known better...but she didn't. Drug users to me are victims more than anything else, and dealers are not, but the lines get very blurry when it involves an uneducated, emotionally vulnerable, young girl being led by bad examples. But it is just my opinion, and I have all the respect for your differing opinion. Let the opinions roll.........:woohoo:

I so respect your opinion as well! I do see where you are coming from, wickedeye.

Well, that being said, my opinion is....I agree with almost all of you. :waitasec::waitasec::waitasec: Hope that tells you how undecided and confused I am. I can understand why Misty is like she is. Her background is what I have seen and worked with most in my profession. I really feel for her, and hope that someday she can and will be a productive asset to society. I have seen young girls like Misty turn their lives around and do just that.

But...just what will it take for that to happen for Misty? Misty has to feel that she is as low as she can go. She has to see that the time to change her life is RIGHT NOW. The courts will have to decide if she is to that point, and sentence her accordingly...What a tough decision...

Good morning LaLaw, IMO if Misty's attorney hasn't tried negotiating a plea deal for Misty to tell all at this time, he's not going to ever do it. But, although I would like to shake the truth out of her myself I also have to consider that Misty doesn't have a record of any kind. She was and still is a young teenager who was heavily influenced by a much older person in the drug dealing. I think a person such as Misty is exactly what the Youth Offender Program was created for. It was created for teenagers who think that they are ten feet tall and bullet proof, influenced by an older, criminally minded person, and with bad family histories. Misty might would benefit and become a valued member of the community. That said, when I consider that she could tell what happened to Haleigh and could get the case solved, if I were the SA I would make her an offer to drop the drug charges for a "tell all".

I agree totally but I think it's too late for that. Is it even possible for her to get the YO sentence even though she was of legal age when the sting went down?

Not sure if this will be the live stream, Sentencing today at 1:30PM follow the video link below for updates.

Misty Cummings' Sentencing Preview
http://www.news4jax.com/video/15505198/index.html

Video: Misty To Be Sentenced http://www.news4jax.com/video/15505198/index.html

Misty To Be Sentenced On Drug Charge
Missing Girl's Former Stepmother Likely Faces 25 Years In Prison

POSTED: Friday, October 8, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/25325313/detail.html

Misty will be sentenced on one count of trafficking in oxycodone in St. Johns County, facing a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.

She still faces sentencing on 7 counts of drug trafficking in Putnam County, where she could face up to 200 years. That hearing is set for Oct. 19.

Prosecutors said she could qualify for a reduced sentence as a youthful offender, since she was 17 at the time of the crime, which could reduce her sentence to between six and 25 years.

Not sure if this will be the live stream, Sentencing today at 1:30PM follow the video link below for updates.

Misty Cummings' Sentencing Preview
http://www.news4jax.com/video/15505198/index.html

Video: Misty To Be Sentenced http://www.news4jax.com/video/15505198/index.html

Misty To Be Sentenced On Drug Charge
Missing Girl's Former Stepmother Likely Faces 25 Years In Prison

POSTED: Friday, October 8, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/25325313/detail.html

Misty will be sentenced on one count of trafficking in oxycodone in St. Johns County, facing a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.

She still faces sentencing on 7 counts of drug trafficking in Putnam County, where she could face up to 200 years. That hearing is set for Oct. 19.

Prosecutors said she could qualify for a reduced sentence as a youthful offender, since she was 17 at the time of the crime, which could reduce her sentence to between six and 25 years.

I am pretty sure she was 18 when all this went down.

Thanks for your insights nonni. I agree, Misty is a product of her environment and upbringing. I see a lot of young ladies who are similar to her in behavior and carriage in my neighborhood. It is hard to watch some days.

If memory serves me right one of the charges were from before her 18th birthday. I could be wrong though. It was a month long sting investigation and Misty had turned 18 Dec 2009.

Misty was 18. And her maximum is not 25 years...that's her minimum. This is just another example of sloppy reporting.

However, even though she was 18, Youthful Offender status could still be considered for her. One does not have to be a minor to be considered for YO.

I agree with you there MADJGNLAW, it looks to me that if Fields isn't going for the combined charges that he hasn't helped her very much even if she gets YO in one of the counties. I do have a question for anyone here, if she is declared a Youthful Offender in this sentencing today, is she then considered a Youthful Offender in the other sentencing as well? If not combined, then the attorney has not helped Misty in any way at all, IMO. That said, I not only think that Hope, Donna and Tommy's attornies totally failed them in their representation of them, but I can add Fields to my opinion as well. Remind me if I ever get into trouble in Florida to bring my own attorney. Does anyone know how much average time was sentenced in a similar case where the charged decided on a trial jury? I know that here when you have a jury looking at young people the ages of Hope and Misty they usually don't send them away for what acquaints to a life sentence for them. Makes me think that Hope, Misty, Donna and Tommy would have fared better for themselves with a jury.

I'm afraid after today I'll be able to add Fields to the list too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon