2010.5.24 JVM/Fields quote: Is this case a garage sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn't understand a lot of things. Grabbed the tail of the wrong tiger.

I don't want her to get away with anything. I just don't want her invented testimony to let others get away with something.

Dear Higher Power: Please deliver lovely package of evidence, tied up with a purple bow, to satisfy all my questions and get this child all the justice she deserves. Thank you.

I guess I disagree. I think she understood what she was told, I think she went along with doing what she was told. I believe she understood why she did what she did and has said what she says. What I don't think she understands, and unfortunately it is the downfall of even highly intelligent people, is that she didn't grasp quickly enough (probably hasn't yet) that she has been manipulated and used by people more devious than she.

The one caveat she uttered "Only guilty people need lawyers" says to me she wasn't unaware. Lying doesn't mean you're guilty, in her world.

I get the feeling that everyone treats Misty as if she is guilty of murder, (including her lawyer), & goes from there. I've had enough dealings with lawyers to know that they're no smarter & most definantly no more insightful, than the average person. If Fields doesn't have experience with someone like Misty, then he's probably not gonna be of much help. He can't just give up on her. Every single person involved in this is a liar & Misty's no different. But the other lawyers seem to be fighting for their client's lives. If Fields made this comment, it seems like he made it with the intention of separating himself from Misty-like he's embarrassed to be associated with such a negatively perceived person. & that's not cool. If he's embarrassed or put out, he needs to step aside & let another, more capable attorney, take over.-someone with the ability to convince her to pay attention. Misty was a kid when this happened. a kid with a crummy background, no education, & obvious learning disabilities. She can barely verbalize her frustrations, & for all practical purposes, can't write. & she has drug problems. This girl, at 16, was put into the role of caregiver to 2 small children. from their adult daddy, their grandmother, & her own parents. & CPS obviously turned a blind eye. Now, it's MOO, that if Fields doesn't want to deal with the reality of Misty's situation, he needs to step aside. & I don't care how mich LE or anybody else doesn't want to hear about, 'poor Misty...that's the reality of the situation. I'm worried that he's not taking a pro-active stance-getting her IQ tested, dealing with her psychology, getting school records...in other words, defending his client.

I guess I disagree. I think she understood what she was told, I think she went along with doing what she was told. I believe she understood why she did what she did and has said what she says. What I don't think she understands, and unfortunately it is the downfall of even highly intelligent people, is that she didn't grasp quickly enough (probably hasn't yet) that she has been manipulated and used by people more devious than she.

The one caveat she uttered "Only guilty people need lawyers" says to me she wasn't unaware. Lying doesn't mean you're guilty, in her world.

BBM
She did say that. LOL. But, how sad too. And I guess that's my point. She doesn't understand a lot of things.

:idea: Do you recall if, when she said that, Ron had a lawyer? :innocent: Maybe that was one of those freudian-slip truthy-ish statements she was throwing out there.

ETA:
I thought I'd look up the source of this Misty quote. Best I could find was on AH site. Please see comment #62 here:
http://www.artharris.com/2009/09/21/exclusive-misty-cummings-brother-reveals-he-was-at-trailer-and-more/

Still not sure if Ron had counsel at the time AH was quoting Misty. Interesting "quote", isn't it. Put that in your LVA/LDT LOL.

How many lies can this girl tell and have anyone listen? She is a pathological liar. In fact it appears that whole family does not have a good relationship with the truth. What is LE thinking? Poor little Haleigh didn't stand a chance.

IMHO I think mistys lawyer is gonna dump her and move on. Seems like he is just about done...

He should - he has the impossible to defend client. She has told numerous stories about what happened, everything from just waking up and Haleigh being gone, all the way through her little dreams of four people in the room; to the latest revelations about Joe and Tommy (all while telling her Dad she didn't see Joe there, people were telling her ideas so she believed them). She has done what she wanted to do at times and against the advice Fields had given her. The man is doing this pro bono - I doubt he has the financial resources to continue to support a client who is obviously full of it and who refuses to cooperate with LE let alone cooperate with him. I wonder if he is bald yet...or maybe he just thinks he is caught in a defense lawyer's nightmare. :D

IMO, the relationship between M and ToC is simply over-the-top. It disturbs me, that's all I can say. I've implied it since I hopped on board, and I feel terrible for even thinking it. But I keep returning to M and ToC's relationship.

Perhaps, Fields got a private psychiatric evaluation of M.

I get the feeling that everyone treats Misty as if she is guilty of murder, (including her lawyer), & goes from there. I've had enough dealings with lawyers to know that they're no smarter & most definantly no more insightful, than the average person. If Fields doesn't have experience with someone like Misty, then he's probably not gonna be of much help. He can't just give up on her. Every single person involved in this is a liar & Misty's no different. But the other lawyers seem to be fighting for their client's lives. If Fields made this comment, it seems like he made it with the intention of separating himself from Misty-like he's embarrassed to be associated with such a negatively perceived person. & that's not cool. If he's embarrassed or put out, he needs to step aside & let another, more capable attorney, take over.-someone with the ability to convince her to pay attention. Misty was a kid when this happened. a kid with a crummy background, no education, & obvious learning disabilities. She can barely verbalize her frustrations, & for all practical purposes, can't write. & she has drug problems. This girl, at 16, was put into the role of caregiver to 2 small children. from their adult daddy, their grandmother, & her own parents. & CPS obviously turned a blind eye. Now, it's MOO, that if Fields doesn't want to deal with the reality of Misty's situation, he needs to step aside. & I don't care how mich LE or anybody else doesn't want to hear about, 'poor Misty...that's the reality of the situation. I'm worried that he's not taking a pro-active stance-getting her IQ tested, dealing with her psychology, getting school records...in other words, defending his client.

Believe it or not, most defense lawyers don't view it as their job to lie for their clients or to support of enable utterly heinous acts. Their job is to protect their clients constitutional rights, ensure that they get a fair and just trial, or that they get the fairest best deal they can possibly arrange. There is a diference. You seem to be getting the vibe from Misty's lawyer that he may think she is guilty of murder. Well guess what he is alot closer to the situation than we are, and he deals with her on a daily basis. he is the one getting subjected daily to her lies and various stories. Like anyone else he is free to draw his own conclusions. As long as he continues to properly represent his client before the court he is doing his job.

Yes, Mr. Fields offered his services to a most difficult client.

How do you keep a wave upon the sand, eh?

Still, he knowingly offered his professional criminal defense services to a difficult and indigent client who was extremely high profile.

IMO Mr. Fields needs no defense. I'm interested in Mr. Fields defending Misty. He is obligated to represent her strenuously her - regardless.

The Garage Sale comment - one would hope RF clarifies it, confirms it, or corrects with better context - very soon.

Staying tuned. Against my doctor's orders. :rolleyes:

IMO, the relationship between M and ToC is simply over-the-top. It disturbs me, that's all I can say. I've implied it since I hopped on board, and I feel terrible for even thinking it. But I keep returning to M and ToC's relationship.

Perhaps, Fields got a private psychiatric evaluation of M.

:eek:

wouldn't that be a riveting read? :angel:

[BBM]

I really think this is the approach that is needed with Misty. It doesn't seem to me that she has grasped the severity of this situation (still). I'm sure it's been explained to her, but not to the point where she really understands it. In fact, I think they should find someone who can communicate with Misty on her level, be it a counselor, psychologist or whatever is appropriate for this type of situation. I also see the frustration for Mr. Fields and that is all the more reason to find someone who can explain the legal aspects of her case and consequences to Misty in the most simplistic way.

OMO

What do y'all make of the Fields quote? What does it mean, it's a garage sale?

Assuming it's verbatim, it rubs me the wrong way somehow because it sounds like it's a game. It sounds to me like Fields is saying Misty has had all kinds of junk out there for over a year now and no one was buying but now she's come up with more saleable junk and they're hoping some silly twit would buy it this time.

What did he mean? I must have gotten him wrong because he's a defense attorney, and he wouldn't be implying that his client is a hopeless liar, would he?

Why would anyone have to 'buy' what Misty is saying. The truth is the truth. You either believe it or you don't. If Misty spoke the truth, the whole truth, then she should be able to pass a LDT with flying colours. No need to 'buy' her story.

Ron & Tommy, & probably Joe are also liars & Their lawyers aren't making snide comments about their clients. How are they figuring out which stories to run with? They are assuming their clients are telling the truth. When Tommy got caught up, he changed his story again, but his lawyer still didn't degrade his client. He's again, assuming he's telling the truth. Even if Misty is the murderer, she has a right to defend herself & explain her actions & the chain of events that led to it. She needs an attorney who's willing to help her do that. If Fields isn't willing to do that-if he only wants to defend an innocent, know nothing, client-he needs to step away. He should already be preparing a defense. Ron's & Tommy's lawyers are both working towards pleas. What is Fields doing? He can't very well blame it on Misty being a liar, because they are all liars, & the other lawyers are forging ahead. In Misty's case, way more so than the others, there are extenuating circumstances. A decent lawyer would work with that.

IIRC - wasn't AH the one who said LC was not divorcing TC?
If so, then the garage sale statement may not be accurate.

btw (O.T.) - I one time found a brand new pair of shoes for a quarter at a garage sale, turned out to be the shoes I wore most.

Ruby

IIRC - wasn't AH the one who said LC was not divorcing TC?
If so, then the garage sale statement may not be accurate.

btw (O.T.) - I one time found a brand new pair of shoes for a quarter at a garage sale, turned out to be the shoes I wore most.

I bought some vintage 1950s board games & Samsonite suitcases at a garage sale, for less than 15 bucks total, & they're gonna make awesome Christmas gifts. so, you never know...

Misty didn't get Mr Fields as her attorney until she needed one for her divorce. Ron had at least 2 attorneys: One for the custody issue with Crystal, and the other was a criminal defense attorney (Mr Shoemaker).

(I saw that: Misty had her attorney in May. Thanks, L)

[BBM]

I really think this is the approach that is needed with Misty. It doesn't seem to me that she has grasped the severity of this situation (still). I'm sure it's been explained to her, but not to the point where she really understands it. In fact, I think they should find someone who can communicate with Misty on her level, be it a counselor, psychologist or whatever is appropriate for this type of situation. I also see the frustration for Mr. Fields and that is all the more reason to find someone who can explain the legal aspects of her case and consequences to Misty in the most simplistic way.

OMO
Misty has a way of putting all negativity out of her mind, & not dealing with it. She needs a lawyer who'll make her listen. explain that 'this is the way things stand...now what are we gonna do about it'? give her a private LDT & go from there. Bring in a (child?) psychologist & work WITH her, & not against her. & I don't care how resistant Misty is, somebody's gotta get into her head, so they can prepare a defense.

Snipped for space...IMO Misty's att. should have stepped down along time ago! ...... pursauded by others and this is extremely dangerous in terms of her making a false confession - and yes, I believe that has already contributed to her giving/making alot of these false stories/statements - .....Mr. Field's has been ineffective in convincing his client to follow his professional legal advice, so what is he hanging around for? ....I won't answer my own question as I have some strong feelings/suspicions regarding this and expressing them could result in a T/O. Suffice it to say that I feel Mr. Fields should step down immediately. JMHO ~

BBM I agree 100% and maybe for a added reason. I'd probably be in time out with you! I have never felt Mr. Fields has represented MC the way a Defense Lawyer should. He should have leveled with her in the beginning and talked to her like the child she is/was and made her really understand what she was facing and that she had to tell the truth. If he had this would have been over a long time ago. I know she went against him many times but look who she was living with and trying to please. She was not nor is she now an adult only in age. She is still a young immature girl living in a grown up world and has no clue the right way to do things. So sad Haleigh had to pay the price. I agree RF should step down immediately and someone tough should replace him, someone who has both Haleigh and Misty's best interest at heart and get this mess over with!

Continuing previous thought:

I wonder if new counsel could argue that she wasn't emancipated because the parent who emancipated her was high as a kite when she signed the paperwork. :crazy:

Argue Misty's limited capacity (as a child) to understand legal proceedings, rewind all the lies, and let the girl start over with proper counsel ...

(slamming the adult advisors in her life at the time - parents, TN, GGMS - not RF)

I think you are right on!! I wrote a short while ago how I felt about RF guess I should have waited because you stated it so much better. I really think if MC had had someone who knew how to work with a child things would be so different now. Even if she is guilty!

thanks for your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member