50/60 year old Amnesia Victim Savannah, GA Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family holds memorial for missing Heyworth native
PANTAGRAPH STAFF. Pantagraph. Bloomington, Ill.: Nov 23, 2004. pg. B.5

Abstract (Summary) Rescue workers with boats and planes searched for six days around the islands west of Morocco, and his family hired private investigators. His employer, the multinational agribusiness company Sygenta, posted a Web site, www.steve-dewey.com, to ask for help.

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]»[/FONT] Jump to indexing (document details)
Full Text (201 words)
Copyright Pantagraph Publishing Co. Nov 23, 2004

HEYWORTH -- Steven Dewey, a talented, three-sport athlete at Heyworth High School in the early 1970s, turned his hand to wind- surfing during a family vacation in August in the Canary Islands.
He disappeared around 1 p.m. Aug. 3 off the coast of Fuerteventura.
Rescue workers with boats and planes searched for six days around the islands west of Morocco, and his family hired private investigators. His employer, the multinational agribusiness company Sygenta, posted a Web site, www.steve-dewey.com, to ask for help.
Family members finally concluded he won't be found, so they memorialized him with a service on Monday at the Heyworth United Methodist Church.
"This is in place of a funeral," said his brother, Bob Dewey of Heyworth. "We don't have his body -- they didn't find anything -- but we wanted to have some closure on this. It's been hard on the family."
Steven Dewey, 50, was an agribusiness executive based in Basel, Switzerland, for Sygenta.
Survivors include his wife, Gwen; two sons, Kirk, 21, and Eric, 15; a daughter, Hannah, 19; his mother, Joanne Dewey; and a sister, Susan Rehtmeyer, McLean.
Memorials may be made to Heyworth High School, where he graduated in 1972.
[Illustration]Steven Dewey

Ive been a long time lurker and have been following this thread for a while now. I just wanted to say I'm very impressed and touched by all the hard work everyone here has put into finding this mans identity. You all are truly an inspiration.

I don't know anything about amnesia but I would think that one would be able to recognize themselves were they to see a picture of themselves. Could it be possible that the recognition of self would be altered?

Its such a pity I thought for sure this was the one!
The only thing that has kept me from going all the way was that Ben has both surgical scars on his jaw and his elbow, the missing man has nothing stated to that effect.

I'm also wondering if its fear of the unknown letting go of the person he knows as Benjamin Kyle. I really would hate to walk in his shoes.

It isn't a surgical scar on his jaw, but his neck. I had forgotten about that myself. I would be interested to know if Mr. Dewey did have such scars present.

Sorry guys, had to step away for a few & then get caught up on the posts. Any publicity is good publicity but in context with the received response the NE thing leave$ me $cratching my head a bit. To dismiss Dewey so quickly,or anyone for that matter, is puzzling. It has been more than 3 years since BK was found & I personally wouldn't expect him, a person who has been through the ringer, to look exactly the same as he did then. Age, time, stress, changes in eating habits, etc. can change a person drastically. I understand that the circumstances of Dewey's desappearance make him a long-long-long shot, but as we all know from being on this board, stranger things have happened.

From what I have read, other than the amnesia, BK is healed of all of his injuries & no longer lives or works at the hospital & is living with friends... so what role does a nurse play in his life now? Is this a nurse who treated him & then became a friend after the fact? Just curious as to the relationship.

And I don't think the noses are different. I think they are a perfect match.

It isn't a surgical scar on his jaw, but his neck. I had forgotten about that myself. I would be interested to know if Mr. Dewey did have such scars present.

Its quite noticeable in the one picture from the side. I would imagine that it would be something that would be mentioned had the missing gentleman had such a scar.

I know this may be a bit far fetched but could Ben have been living in Canada when he disappeared? I think we should perhaps include Canada in our missing persons searches.

Another thing that keeps bugging me is the lack of clothing. If he was lost at sea he would still have had to walk a certain distance nude. I cant imagine people ignoring a large (6 footer) naked man walking down a busy city street such as the one on which he was found. We unfortunately all know that killers try to rid their victims of any identifying clues in order to thwart law enforcement. Could this be the real reason to the lack of clothing? Was Ben assaulted with the intention of leaving him for dead?

One last thought, now I do not know how long one would have to lay in the sun in order to induce UV related cataracts but I assume it would be an excessive amount of time. I just wanted to throw this out in the air but I read recently in a journal that airline pilots and fisherman are more likely to develop cortical cataracts as a result of long term UV exposure.

Sorry about all of this , just thinking out loud.

I really would hate to walk in his shoes.

I was thinking of this today... I would imagine that after so long of being a "real life nobody" it would get more and more difficult to imagine the truth... each dead end, each non-match would add to the belief (internal, and largely unspoken I would imagine) that the miracle will not occur, and so all possibilities are dismissed... The fear of the unknown is far worse than the safety of his known, I would imagine, no matter how much he believes in his conscious mind that he really wants to find his past.

That said, I would wish he would look into this more carefully. So many things match, and facial expressions mean diddley to me at this point. :) We don't know if the pictures of Mr. Dewey are even capturing his "facial expressions", and from what I have seen on this board, too many missing people photos are posed, staged photos of them looking "perfect"... not how they look after they haven't slept, or looking surprised over their shoulder, or fondly at a little puppy.... :) I think most of Steve's look the same. "Say Cheese!" photos, if you will, not real life.

The National Enquirer does raise some concerns for me, but my heart is saying they wouldn't want just BK... they would want his match too. Are they reading here? Did they send someone out already? Grrr. :razz:

Also the part about the noses not matching just really throws me. I did the Photoshop on my own as I mentioned and those two pictures the noses matched EXACTLY. Not way off, not a little off, not off at all. I am stumped by that comment.

Finally, I am wondering, is it possible to work this from the Dewey side? I would really like to know about the elbow scar BK has and whether Dewey had one. As someone mentioned earlier, that would solve this for me once and for all.

I think it is great all the work everyone is putting into this and I agree they do resemble each other a lot, but not enough to think that it is a match let alone a perfect match. Just my two cents.

*raises my hand from the lurking peanut gallery* I have been searching out Canadian missing adult reports... with not much success.

Keep this in mind: just like celebrities have lookalikes, your average Joe or Jane can have them, too. BK and Stewey could just be that... lookalikes with only minor differences that aren't easily detectable. What I would like to know: are there any images of BK from when he was first found. That would help a great deal in being able to match him up to Dewey, if they are one in the same.

And a note of support: please don't get disappointed if these 2 men are not the same person. You guys have really worked hard with the best of intentions... I find that awesome. Keep it up!!!

I have a question and forgive me if I missed it in the earlier thread:

The Doe Network page says BK weighs 240 lbs. Mr. Dewey's site says he weighed approx. 190 lbs. I am curious if anyone was able to find out what BK weighed when they found him? If he weighed 240 THEN, then I think it is highly unlikely BK is the missing man. If we carry the hypotheses forward that he somehow got caught in a current in the Atlantic and ended up on the southern coast, that would mean he'd probably lost a lot of weight during the journey and due to exposure. If he's gained weight since being found then that would make more sense, but I was just curious about the weight? Anyone know?

I have a question and forgive me if I missed it in the earlier thread:

The Doe Network page says BK weighs 240 lbs. Mr. Dewey's site says he weighed approx. 190 lbs. I am curious if anyone was able to find out what BK weighed when they found him? If he weighed 240 THEN, then I think it is highly unlikely BK is the missing man. If we carry the hypotheses forward that he somehow got caught in a current in the Atlantic and ended up on the southern coast, that would mean he'd probably lost a lot of weight during the journey and due to exposure. If he's gained weight since being found then that would make more sense, but I was just curious about the weight? Anyone know?

Good point. I assumed he'd put on some weight after being found...though I would think they'd have noted what he weighed when he was found and used that on the Doe Network. Steve Dewey could have put on some weight before he was lost, but not that much. Since he was windsurfing he was probably in pretty good shape.

I posted this on page 1 but will post again here,Do you think this man could be him?
http://www.nampn.org/cases/poole_gary.html

I know this man is younger but being homeless can make you look older than what you are and his height was probably just an estimate.
Here are the two photos
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff41/satemplet/poole_gary.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff41/satemplet/202282929.jpg

Can anyone do an overlay?
Thanks​

I'm sure Dimples will be on soon. She is great at doing overlays. Thanks for the suggestion! We do need to keep our options open. Welcome to Websleuths :D

I am up now it is 8 am here........Let me know if there is anything important I missed.....

Kel

Wow I just got back, and I am soooo Disappointed about the response from the nurse. I thought she/they would be AS excited as WE were about the similarites, the side by side is just amazing, you cant take any old joe blow and do a side by side or overlay and have them be that much of a match. Even if they thopught it wasnt him I am surprised they werent amazed about how much they look alike, like twins separted at birth, like I said in a previous post I wonder if we can find out if Dewey was adopted.

I dont think
Gary David Poole looks like match because of the hairlines it looks like Garys hairline is more receded than BK's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels