8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the booze thing at all. I'm reading the thread with interest because I can not for the life of me, understand how someone could put children in a car, get behind the wheel and proceed to drink. I know more than one alcoholic and I can not imagine them doing such a thing. They would certainly drink and drive, but they would make the kids go with someone else. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part :(

Salem

1. I personally have driven drunk with my kids in the car innumerable times. Definitely I can't enumerate them because half of them I don't even remember: I was blacked out. Some on here have explained that one can do this because one's thinking is so incredibly distorted that one thinks that one can do anything drunk. People even say, "I drive better when I'm drunk." Good god.

2. Your friends who haven't ever put their kids in the car when drunk driving might have it pointed out to them that there are very definitely kids in other cars. If diane schuler had been driving alone and hit a van with 5 kids in it and killed them, would you consider her a more responsible person than she seems to you now?

What was her BAC again?.19? How are they coming up with 10 ounces as it relates to her BAC and body weight? Sounds like 1/2 that would get her to .19 if that was the BAC based on body weight. I am confused about that. I mean she would have to weigh 250 pounds to drink that much alcohol for a BAC that low.
Although, drinking it in 48 minutes would mean the alcohol had not reached it's full effect yet. It enters the blood stream like a bell curve and increase over time and then tapers off. So after 48 minutes her BAC would not have reached it's full "potential" Maybe that is why her BAC is low compared to the amount of aclohol they are saying she ingested.

I am just trying to understand how much she really had to drink. She sounds like she was text book impaired for her BAC and I find that curious.

ETA: according to this, a 140 pound woman would have a BAC of .270 if she had 10 drinks in an hour. 160 pound woman .236
Any thoughts on her size? I am trying to figure a .19 after 10 drinks in an hour.

http://olin.msu.edu/pdfs/BACFemale.pdf

All due respect, VB (and I am a broken record here, it's true) - only a seasoned drinker could have ingested that much alcohol (and would have under the circumstances of driving 5 kids home on a Sunday morning) and not been face down.

This wasn't an "I'm in physical pain and all I have is vodka and reefer" thing. This was a "I have a hidden substance abuse issue" thing. Toothache or no toothache, headache or no headache, she planned to drink on that trip because she wouldn't be around anyone who could "catch" her at it. She thought she would be just fine because she had done it before without any problems.

scm I agree with you that this was a seasoned drinker, I don't think she was the tea totaler some family members may wish she was. I just think that something else (tooth pain?) pushed her to drinking more than normal for her.
Perhaps this coming to light might help some others to seek help before they do the same thing.

I did some drinking in my younger days, the most I remember drinking was having 5 shots of scotch on an hour, it didn't knock me out but I was pretty loopy.

VB

Daniel Longo in a family picture.

The casket of Daniel Longo being borne into church. (Seth Harrison/The Journal News)

gal_hance-schuler_12.jpg

Three sisters Emma, Kate, and Alyson were killed by a drunk driver…their aunt. Also, killed (not pictured) was the drunk driver’s daughter and the drunk driver’s son was critically injured.

Guy Bastardi

Michael Bastardi

Drunk and stoned driver’s daughter killed in crash

Remembering the lives that were lost.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...niel_schuler_likely_wont_face_criminal_c.html

The husband of Taconic death driver Diane Schuler is off the hook.
Prosecutors said Tuesday that no charges will be filed in connection with the wrong-way crash that killed eight people because the only person to blame is dead.
"Diane Schuler died in the crash and the charges died with her," Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/08/18/2009-08-18_taconic_driver_diane_schulers_husband_daniel_schuler_likely_wont_face_criminal_c.html#ixzz0OfapjZPm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Schuler

Timeline of accident
At approximately 9:30 AM, Diane Schuler left the Hunter Lake Campground
18px-Erioll_world.svg.png
41°53′27″N 74°43′52″W / 41.890841°N 74.731064°W / 41.890841; -74.731064 in Parksville, New York with her two children and her brother's daughters, 8-year-old Emma Hance, 7-year-old Alyson Hance, and 5-year-old Kate Hance. Diane was driving the children in a red 2003 Ford Windstar and planned to stop at McDonald's on the way home to West Babylon. Her husband Daniel Schuler left the campground at the same time in a separate vehicle; because his vehicle had commercial license plates, he could not follow Diane home on any New York state parkway.[4][5][3] A co-owner of the campground later reported that Diane appeared to be sober when she departed. [6][7]
She stopped at a McDonald's restaurant
41°47′03″N 74°43′45″W / 41.784185°N 74.729218°W / 41.784185; -74.729218 located off Route 17 in Liberty, New York, and pumped gas at a nearby Sunoco
41°47′10″N 74°43′45″W / 41.786033°N 74.729047°W / 41.786033; -74.729047. While at the gas station, she tried to buy OTC pain-relief medication, but the store did not sell any.[8][9]
Schuler left Liberty, New York just after 11am travelling along Route 17 and Interstate 87, entering the Ramapo service area
41°09′12″N 74°11′18″W / 41.153325°N 74.188292°W / 41.153325; -74.188292, and crossing the Tappen Zee Bridge heading east.[3] Witnesses later reported seeing a red minivan driving aggressively on Route 17 and Interstate 87, including aggressively tailgating, flashing headlights, honking the horn, and straddling two lanes.[3]
At 11:37 AM, a call was made from Schuler's cell phone to Warren Hance, Diane Schuler's brother and the father of the three nieces in her car. Schuler reportedly told Hance that they were being delayed by traffic.[10]
At 12:08 PM, Schuler's cell phone received a call from a person who has not been identified.
At 12:58 PM, another call was made to Hance from Schuler's cell phone. During the call, Emma Hance reportedly told her father that Schuler was having trouble seeing and speaking clearly. The call was dropped after three minutes, after which Hance called back and stayed on the line for nine minutes.[10] According to state police, Schuler told her brother that she felt disoriented and couldn't see clearly. Police believe that the car had stopped in a pull-off area beyond the Tappan Zee Bridge tollbooths during at least part of this call, based on Emma telling her father she saw signs for Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.[11] Hance reportedly told Schuler to stay off the road while he came to meet them; follow-up calls from Hance to Schuler were not answered.[3][10][12] A motorist later found Schuler's cell phone by the side of the road near the toll lanes of the Tappen Zee Bridge.
At 1:33pm, two drivers called 911 after noticing Schuler's van edging onto the northbound exit ramp of the Taconic State Parkway near Briarcliff Manor, NY. Police have not yet determined Schuler's exact route between the Tappen Zee Bridge and the parkway's exit ramp. The end of the exit ramp, at the intersection with Pleasantville Road
41°08′32″N 73°48′55″W / 41.142104°N 73.815148°W / 41.142104; -73.815148, is marked with two signs reading Do Not Enter and two One Way signs. [13] The exit ramp itself is unmarked.[14] Within the next minute, four more 911 calls were placed by motorists who reported a car travelling the wrong way down the parkway.
Schuler's van traveled south for 1.7 miles in the parkway's northbound passing lane before colliding head-on, at approximately 1:37 PM, with a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer killing its driver Guy Bastardi, 49, of Yonkers, and his two passengers; his father Michael Bastardi, 81, and friend Daniel Longo, 74. In a secondary collision, the Trailblazer struck a 2002 Chevrolet Tracker; its passengers Dean and Angela Tallarico suffered minor injuries.[3]
Diane Schuler's son Bryan Schuler and her niece Alyson Hance were the sole survivors inside Schuler's Windstar.[15] Alyson was taken to Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, where she was pronounced dead later that day. Bryan was taken to Westchester Medical Center and survived his injuries.[3]
At 1:42pm, Warren Hance--unaware of the crash minutes before--placed a call to the New York State Police while en route to find his sister's car in Tarrytown.[11]

Diane Schuler's Death: Kills Buzz For Moms Who Drink

As recently as last month, drinking parents seemed to be all the rage. On the bookshelves: Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's Naptime Is the New Happy Hour, Robert Wilder's Daddy Needs a Drink and Chris Mancini's Pacify Me, the cover of which shows a six-pack consisting of five beers and one milk bottle. A pacifier dangles from one of the brews.
Well, goodbye to all that -- thanks, at least in part, to the fallout from a horrifying drunk-driving tragedy that has garnered national attention.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/diane-schulers-death-a-do_n_261268.html

Please continue here. Is there anything that you would like in this first post? Let me know.

Salem

Link to Thread 1: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87087&page=47

Photos from Steve2010 (hope this works)

Here is an overview of Hunter Lake Campground. State Route 17 is at the lower left corner

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...unter-Lake.jpg

Here is a google earth image of the route I believe they took to arrive in Liberty

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...to-Liberty.jpg

Here is a google earth image of the Sunoco and the McDonalds in Liberty that I think they stopped at.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ald-Sunoco.jpg

This is a google earth image of the Ramapo Service Area

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20.../ds-Ramapo.jpg

Here is a google earth image of the first portion of their trip - which shows from the campground to the TZ Bridge

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...s-route-17.jpg

Here is a google earth image of the last portion of their trip. Reminder, this route has not been confirmed

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...z-overview.jpg

This is a google earth image of the area where the pullover is after the toll-booths.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...z-bridge-1.jpg

This is a google earth image of where she made a left turn onto an OFF ramp to end up southbound on the northbound side of the Taconic Parkway

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...s-off-ramp.jpg
Ok...I'll ask again...'cause the other thread's now closed...does anyone know why DS was in this part of Westchester? It's not the way home to LI. TIA

What was her BAC again?.19? How are they coming up with 10 ounces as it relates to her BAC and body weight? Sounds like 1/2 that would get her to .19 if that was the BAC based on body weight. I am confused about that. I mean she would have to weigh 250 pounds to drink that much alcohol for a BAC that low.
Although, drinking it in 48 minutes would mean the alcohol had not reached it's full effect yet. It enters the blood stream like a bell curve and increase over time and then tapers off. So after 48 minutes her BAC would not have reached it's full "potential" Maybe that is why her BAC is low compared to the amount of aclohol they are saying she ingested.

I am just trying to understand how much she really had to drink. She sounds like she was text book impaired for her BAC and I find that curious.

ETA: according to this, a 140 pound woman would have a BAC of .270 if she had 10 drinks in an hour. 160 pound woman .236
Any thoughts on her size? I am trying to figure a .19 after 10 drinks in an hour.

http://olin.msu.edu/pdfs/BACFemale.pdf

According to that chart, a 200 lb. woman would have a BAC of just under .19 (.189) if she ingested 10 drinks in an hour. I'm not an expert on weight but from the photos I've seen, I don't think she was 200 lbs. I'm guessing 150-160 lbs. At 160, a woman would have to ingest 10 drinks in 2-3 hours to have a BAC that high. I'm curious to know if any large/xlarge drinks were purchased at McDs. If she started drinking shortly after the McD stop, that would fit in to the 3 hour time frame until the accident. JMO

According to that chart, a 200 lb. woman would have a BAC of just under .19 (.189) if she ingested 10 drinks in an hour. I'm not an expert on weight but from the photos I've seen, I don't think she was 200 lbs. I'm guessing 150-160 lbs. At 160, a woman would have to ingest 10 drinks in 2-3 hours to have a BAC that high. I'm curious to know if any large/xlarge drinks were purchased at McDs. If she started drinking shortly after the McD stop, that would fit in to the 3 hour time frame until the accident. JMO

That's what I am saying. So either she had less drinks than reported in a short period of time or 10 drinks over a much longer period of time. IMO, it is important as it relates to the discussion of her alcohol tolerance.

Ok...I'll ask again...'cause the other thread's now closed...does anyone know why DS was in this part of Westchester? It's not the way home to LI. TIA
I think that is part of the puzzle. Why was she drunk and why was she there.

Welcome, ShyGal. I think she started drinking at McDonald's too - shortly after leaving the campground and probably ordering at OJ.

I don't know this area at all.

I know she was headed to her brother's house and I think she left the TappanZee and meandered to the Taconic to take a route home that her brother (who was coming to find her) wouldn't take to get to her. She was, as we know, quite drunk by this time, so her thinking may not have been the clearest.

That's what I am saying. So either she had less drinks than reported in a short period of time or 10 drinks over a much longer period of time. IMO, it is important as it relates to the discussion of her alcohol tolerance.

I know nothing about the chemistry of all of this, JBean, but your questions are good ones. I do think she was drinking from early in the trip (probably McDonald's) on. Maybe a science smartie will come along and elucidate the BAC findings more fully!

I know nothing about the chemistry of all of this, JBean, but your questions are good ones. I do think she was drinking from early in the trip (probably McDonald's) on. Maybe a science smartie will come along and elucidate the BAC findings more fully!

Since we do not know when she started drinking we have to back into the .19 BAC. So, from that we can extrapolate that if she is approx 150 lbs and the reports about 10oz of alcohol are correct, then she had to have those drinks over about 3 hours.
But I still don't understand how they can know how much alcohol she had if they don't know when she started drinking. There is way more science than the BAC because that doesn't tell us anything! We know she had alcohol in her eye fluids so maybe that is a critical factor? 6 grams is not much in the belly I mean there are 28 grams in an ounce right?

So now my question is how do they know she had 10 ounces of alcohol :)
I am going to do some googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members