A small plane has crashed into building in NYC...

scandi said:
What a tragedy. It looks like the building is still burning - Oh, Fox is showing old film. MSNBC has it live and it is now smoke, with all the flames put out.

Cory was 31 or 32, has a 6 year old son and his home is in California. They just said 2 people on the ground died plus 2 in the plane. They must have meant in the condo unit and not on the ground, right?

He didn't get clearance to fly over Manhatten, so he was suppose to have been flying 1,000' over the tallest building. Whoever was piloting the plane was having a hard time controling it, as people on the ground said it looked like it was doing acrobatic maneuvers.
I was reading that the plane fell to the ground, so it is possible that two died outside. I am suprised that not more died.

I heard if you drop a penny from a high-rise building that it can do some damage. I can't imagine a plane. It's the force.

PrayersForMaura said:
They are saying online on live News that the Yankees lost a pitcher in 1979, too, in a plane crash.
:eek:

Respondents to the scene found Lidle's passport on the street -- live feed from CNN pipeline

Thanks Prayers, I hadn't heard that on the tube, but I started watching this late after it was well into the action.

WOW how awful to have something fall on you like that, and imagine watching that happen. Horrible!

Scandi

I have a free subscription to the new CNN Pipeline which is up to date news right from the scene, live. Right now I am looking at trucks and emergency vehicles leaving the scene

Lidle has less than 400 flight hours logged. He is a fairly new pilot, from what they are saying.

This is sad news :( So young and with family :(

PrayersForMaura said:
I have a free subscription to the new CNN Pipeline which is up to date news right from the scene, live. Right now I am looking at trucks and emergency vehicles leaving the scene
Wow, I am so impressed with the NYPD, NYFD and all the others for doing such a great job in getting this under control.

Fighter aircraft is now in the air over various cities just for precautionary reasons.
They won't say which cities, but reporters say it is safe to say NYC and DC.

Don't be alarmed if you see these planes. thanks

From www.yankees.com :

Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle was the pilot of a plane that crashed into a highrise apartment building in Manhattan on Wednesday, according to published reports. Lidle, 34, who earned his pilot's license last offseason, was killed in the crash, the reports said

PrayersForMaura said:
They are saying online on live News that the Yankees lost a pitcher in 1979, too, in a plane crash.
It was not a Pitcher it was a catcher Thrumon munson.

Yo CowboW! Nice to see another country heard from LOL {as my dad always used to say when it's been awhile}

Thanks for the stat.

Scandi

Hi Prayers,

Have they said anything about the plane falling to the ground? I wonder if he was inside of it when it fell, so that is where they recovered his body. Did she say 5 were dead?

I did hear about 20 min ago that they have not yet been able to get ahold of next of kin. His poor wife if she learns about this on TV!

Scandi

Everything I've seen aand read say 2 dead, Lidle and his instructor.

scandi said:
Hi Prayers,

Have they said anything about the plane falling to the ground? I wonder if he was inside of it when it fell, so that is where they recovered his body. Did she say 5 were dead?

I did hear about 20 min ago that they have not yet been able to get ahold of next of kin. His poor wife if she learns about this on TV!

Scandi
Yeah, the media sometimes run with the information too soon. His poor wife.

They said during the briefing that his body was found on the ground and identified.

I continue to read and hear conflicting reports about whether there was one person on board or two. There was an announcement from Mayor Bloomberg that 2 peopel were killed in the plane crash: a pilot and an instructor.

I think the reports won't be accurate until a bit later, unfortunately.

NYC.plane.crash4.jpg

Plane crash -- map courtesy of CNN.com

CNN now confirming 2 dead... Pilot and an instructor. Plane hit building and fell to ground. Only the engine block went inside the building... Bodies found on ground below..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back