A small plane has crashed into building in NYC...

Saw on ESPN that it is thought his wife and son were flying commercial to California.

CNN has gone from 4 dead to 5 dead and now back to two dead... Mayor Bloomburgsaid that a flight instructor and a student were killed in the plane crash. An eyewitness said that two bodies were on the ground that of a male presumed to be Cory Lidle and the 2nd was a female victim. The latest online CNN says 2 dead and quotes Bloomburg.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html

PrayersForMaura said:
I heard if you drop a penny from a high-rise building that it can do some damage.QUOTE]

this is false according to MythBusters..they did just this on on of their episodes.

RIP Cory..you will be missed by many

thyankees2.jpg

Hi Penelope,

Isn't that Newton's Law, that falling objects gain inertia as gravity pulls them down. The higher up you are the harder it hits the ground. Things gain speed. Hadn't heard they had corrected Newton! LOL

Scandi

Cory Lidle also used to pitch for the Oakland Athletics. The A's are playing their playoff game against the Tigers right now on Fox, and I saw a few Lidle uniforms hanging from the stands. He is definately being remembered and missed tonight. God bless him and his family.

"NEW YORK (CNN) -- The flight instructor who died with baseball pitcher Cory Lidle when their plane slammed into a skyscraper in Manhattan was identified by police as Tyler Stanger.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly identified Stanger in a Thursday news conference, a day after Lidle's plane hit the high-rise condo on the Upper East Side and ignited a fireball that brought back memories of the 9/11 attacks.

Stanger, the owner of Stang-AIR in La Verne, California, first met Lidle last year in Pomona, California, according to The New York Times. Stanger was 26, according to The New York Daily News."

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/12/plane.crash/index.html

Only 26 years old.

This is an interesting background story, published by the New York Times on Sept. 8:

"“Really, anyone can learn how to fly. If you can drive a bus, you can fly an airplane. But to learn quickly takes money and time. Of course, Cory had plenty of money, and it was the off-season, so he had the time.”

Lidle, who is making $3.3 million this season, met with Stanger twice a week, for three or four hours at a time, all winter. He became queasy once, Stanger said, somewhere over New Mexico while returning from Texas. Otherwise, Lidle was a natural.

Part of Stanger’s job is to surprise students by simulating emergencies. He will pull the throttle to the idle position, essentially letting the plane coast as if the engine were failing.

Other times, he said, he would instruct a student to wear blinders so only the instrument panel was visible, simulating bad weather. Then Stanger would tilt the plane nose-high or nose-low, making the student recover by trusting the instruments.

“Most people get kind of ruffled,” Stanger said. “He was like, ‘O.K., no big deal.’ A lot of it is his mental state."

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/s...44c30a4f4&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

I hope they weren't simulating an emergency yesterday.....

HeartofTexas said:
MasterJ, I'm so glad your husband is well and accounted for. I can't imagine the PTSD that must go on with all New Yorkers at times like this and, as you said, at the sound of sirens.
Thank you for your kind words HeartofTexas. However, I must correct you - although I call him Mr. Masterj, he is not my husband. We live together and are trying to pay off debt so we can afford to get married.

I felt much better once I headed uptown to see him. I had to move his car which was 2 blocks away. The scene was so surreal. I didn't want to linger and gawk or anything, so I just drove by the area. The police, fire and news crews were still around. In fact, several police officers came by Mr. Masterj's pizza shop for some dinner. They were all very somber and you could tell they were struggling with the 9/11 memories too.

so.. anyone can just fly a small plane over new york (or any city), just because they have money and can afford to? i never liked the idea of that.
aren't there some kind of laws that limit this? what if everyone wanted to do it, where do you draw the line?

Good luck, MasterJ, on working to pay off debt so Mr. MasterJ really does become your husband! I hope it happens quickly. Sorry I assumed Mr. MasterJ was already your husband... to be honest, before today I always assumed you were a man. As you can see, I was wrong all the way around. LOL!

I just saw a video on CNN from the coast guard that caught the crash of Lidle and Stanger. It is far off but you can see the explosion when it hits the building. Pretty freaky.....

I'm so sorry but I am not good at linking things. It is right on the front of CNN's website. :truce:

Pat

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2623274

Updated: Oct. 12, 2006, 10:09 PM ET
If Lidle was pilot, beneficiaries could lose $1.5M benefit

NEW YORK -- Cory Lidle's beneficiaries could lose out on a $1.5 million payout from baseball's benefit plan if it's determined that he was piloting his plane when it crashed into a Manhattan high-rise condominium.

While Lidle wasn't a member of the Major League Baseball Players Association licensing plan because he was a replacement player during the 1994-95 strike, the New York Yankees pitcher was covered by the union's benefit plan.

The plan calls for a $450,000 life insurance benefit and has an accidental death benefit of $1.05 million. However, the plan -- which applies to all big leaguers -- contains an exclusion for "any incident related to travel in an aircraft ... while acting in any capacity other than as a passenger."

ETA: I heard there was also an exclusion in his last contract that it would not pay off if he were piloting a plane. Fortunately that contract is up and has already paid out. Don't know about his Yankee contract.

Safety Officials Say Strong Wind Blew Yankees Pitcher's Airplane Off Course
WASHINGTON -- A light wind was cited by federal investigators Friday for blowing a small airplane carrying Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle off course and into a New York City high-rise on Oct. 11.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the wind, coupled with the pilot's inability to turn sharply, forced the aircraft away from its intended path over the East River and into the building

http://orangecounty.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8L5S9F80&_action=validatearticle

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back