Advertising On Websleuths

I don't care what you need to do to keep Websleuths running, I'll gladly deal with some ads.

I saw Amazon Associates mentioned, and I shop there a lot and would go through here, if that's one of the ideas you're considering.

I also saw something about Cafe Press, and I'd love to get some cool WS stuff from there if it were available.

I know you don't like to take donations, and reading your example of having a ban a contributor makes sense (yikes!). If you ever do find a way to accept donations that you are comfortable with, I'd gladly chip in for that, too.

I'm no good with web stuff but I too would chip in monetarily or through the ads or whatever it takes to keep this site going for the many victims of crime who need it.

Ok, I've come up with an idea that I think everyone will like.

I can't accept donations. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to pay anything.

I will do the GoogleSense ads but...and here is the idea...if members don't want the ads they can pay a fee ( ten dollars a month) to have an ad free site.

There are several big forums that do this on the net. I think it's fair to everyone and no one should feel obligated to pay a thing.

The ads will be not be intrusive or obnoxious but if you want the site ad free you can have it ad free. If you don't the ads won't be annoying and drive you nuts.

Also, I will look into Cafe Press. That would be more for fun than anything because I know you can't make much money using that site.

The really good news is our wonderful has been able to get us a new server, a better server, with the same company, for 100 dollars LESS. That is a big deal let me tell you.

So, with the advertising and offering people a chance to opt out of the advertising there should never be a problem with paying for the server AND we might even have enough to handle the lawyer's fees that seem to run up every year for the site.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this idea.

Thanks,
Tricia

Tricia --
I think Ad sense is a great idea. I work in the search marketing business with Yahoo and Google and clients and the ads are usually relevant to the topic of the forum, so they aren't totally intrusive. You mmight also be served an ad that is of interest to you... for example, my profile here has that I like dogs, so I sometimes will see kennel ads, or dog rescue ads. It's neat at times. Not very intrusive at all.

Good luck with that, and thanks for having this Web site for us! :)

Could you please email me? I have some questions that you may be able to answer.

Tricia

I am a newcomer to being able to post, but have read here for a very long time. Ads make sense and should be used to help defray expenses.
JMO

I am a newcomer to being able to post, but have read here for a very long time. Ads make sense and should be used to help defray expenses.
JMO

Thank you LALaw and welcome to Websleuths.

I am still working on the advertising. I keep going back and forth trying to decide which kind to accept.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Tricia

Also, I will look into Cafe Press. That would be more for fun than anything because I know you can't make much money using that site.

I researched cafe press and it's way expensive for merchandise..I copied you with some stuff that believe09 and I are working on....less $$.

I was wondering why you haven't done it before! It won't be bothersome at all...I would even support a ton of it if extra funds (after a paycheck for all you do, legal fees, etc) could go to help searches =)

I was wondering why you haven't done it before! It won't be bothersome at all...I would even support a ton of it if extra funds (after a paycheck for all you do, legal fees, etc) could go to help searches =)

Truthful Lies, I can't say for certain we can provide a lot of money to searches. It all depends on how much we make and the expenses we incur.

I use to be able to pay for everything on my own. Now, since my life has changed I don't have enough money to live let alone support the forum.

It is my intention, if there is any extra money after everything is handled, to donate to charities that help victims, such as searches. Others as well.

Ok, I've come up with an idea that I think everyone will like.

I can't accept donations. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to pay anything.

I will do the GoogleSense ads but...and here is the idea...if members don't want the ads they can pay a fee ( ten dollars a month) to have an ad free site.

There are several big forums that do this on the net. I think it's fair to everyone and no one should feel obligated to pay a thing.

I'm no advertising expert, nor do I play one on tv, so keep that in mind.

If you decide to go for adsense, one thing you must keep in mind: if someone clicks on an ad several times from the same ip, your account could be banned (if you have users or people who peruse your site and don't like you or something that is said, they may clickbomb you.) If you yourself click on your own ad, and don't contact google, you could be banned. Sometimes you can appeal, and it works, sometimes not.

I've heard different things about adsense on forums: some forums make money, some forums don't - it depends on the topic.

What I would do, if I had a forum as successful and busy as this one: since you seem to get tons of exposure, you have automatic content, and good content on top of it, is to sell advertising on a monthly basis. You could actually do a combo: adsense and the regular advertising (you have to be careful with this so it doesn't conflict with adsense.)

You could do something like a rotating banner: 10 advertisers at $100 bucks a month is a thousand bucks. (Mind you I'm just throwing out numbers here) - Guaranteed bucks. Whereas with adsense, you might make that much or more, or you may only make a hundred bucks.

Those are my ideas.

I'm no advertising expert, nor do I play one on tv, so keep that in mind.

If you decide to go for adsense, one thing you must keep in mind: if someone clicks on an ad several times from the same ip, your account could be banned (if you have users or people who peruse your site and don't like you or something that is said, they may clickbomb you.) If you yourself click on your own ad, and don't contact google, you could be banned. Sometimes you can appeal, and it works, sometimes not.

I've heard different things about adsense on forums: some forums make money, some forums don't - it depends on the topic.

What I would do, if I had a forum as successful and busy as this one: since you seem to get tons of exposure, you have automatic content, and good content on top of it, is to sell advertising on a monthly basis. You could actually do a combo: adsense and the regular advertising (you have to be careful with this so it doesn't conflict with adsense.)

You could do something like a rotating banner: 10 advertisers at $100 bucks a month is a thousand bucks. (Mind you I'm just throwing out numbers here) - Guaranteed bucks. Whereas with adsense, you might make that much or more, or you may only make a hundred bucks.

Those are my ideas.

Dear Technicalconfusion, (love the hat)

Thank you for your suggestions. I have decided not to go with adsense unless I have to. I have a feeling people who don't like Websleuths or me could cause major headaches. Don't need it.

I have been working on exactly what you have suggested. I am trying to get two or three major advertisers that would fit our forum like a glove.

Some offers from advertisers have come in but mostly it's those ads that raise your eyebrows....ads like, "make 30 grand a month without getting out of bed..." I may be in dire need of money but I won't sell out the integrity of the forum. Although I won't be able to totally and 100 percent check out everything about our advertisers I will make sure they are credible.

With the help of members like yourself and other wonderful people I am heading into this new adventure of advertising nice and slow. I want to do it right the first time :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back