GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

This doesn't seem planned to me (i.e. for life insurance). I'm inclined to think alcohol played a role and he snapped over something stupid and didn't stop until it was too late. His life truly is over, as is his wife's, and his daughters' lives will be forever altered...in one instant of rage over feeling disrespected and humiliated. How tragic! I hope he at least immediately sobers up, is remorseful and takes full responsibility for the enormity of what he did. It's the least he can do. His girls need that from him. If he blames his wife and tries to weasel out of consequences, he would be pouring salt on their wounds. I hope he does the right thing in this horrible situation of his own making. My heart goes out to those poor girls and the entire family.

This would not have been his first foray into domestic violence. I would bet that he has always been a puncher when things didn't go his way or he perceived that she wasn't treating him with the respect that is intrinsically his. Or something else went wrong in his life that he could take out on her.

This would not have been his first foray into domestic violence. I would bet that he has always been a puncher when things didn't go his way or he perceived that she wasn't treating him with the respect that is intrinsically his. Or something else went wrong in his life that he could take out on her.

I absolutely agree - this would not have been his first foray into domestic violence, I think in the past when she could see the violence building up in him she could carefully move further away from him until he calmed down. Someone posted further back "why cruise ships" -- on a cruise ship people cannot get very far away from each other.......a real test for married couples. For this couple they could not get far enough away from each other and when he flared up she could not escape and he killed her. If she really did laugh - it would not have been at him, she would not have dared to laugh at him, (I agree with you Jennifer17) he would be a domestic violence candidate. She just could not get far enough away from him this time.

<modsnip>

My ex told me a story of how his mom said something that caused the people they were with to laugh "at" his father. When they left to go home, he put his gun to her head and threatened if she ever laughed at him in front of people again he'd kill her.

He was in prison when I dated the son so I never had the pleasure of meeting him.

When I learned about this brutal slaying and read details about the couple, I thought about Mark Hacking who murdered his wife, Lori. My thoughts and prayers are with the family members and passengers who witnessed this horrific crime.

i just saw this on primetime justice. how did he get the gun past security? i never taken a cruise so i havent a clue on guns onboard, so i doubt they are allowed on but ill ask, can passengers take guns, weapons, etc with them? feel for the daughter(s) that had seen this. just dumbfounded

As I said in my first post, it's highly unlikely he used a gun. And I haven't seen any MSM reports that refer to a gun. It seems far more likely to me that he battered her to death using something that was in the room. In any case, a terrible crime.

As I said in my first post, it's highly unlikely he used a gun. And I haven't seen any MSM reports that refer to a gun. It seems far more likely to me that he battered her to death using something that was in the room. In any case, a terrible crime.

Having sailed on Emerald Princess several times, there are any number of possible "weapons" in staterooms. Water glasses in bathrooms. Stateroom/balcony furniture. Small tables with weighted glass top. Flatware from room service (or steak knife from dining room).

I believe the weapon was the ladder used for the pull-down bed. I was recently on this particular ship and have been on other princess ships. The ladders are not especially heavy. I believe they are aluminum. But I have no doubt that object could inflict severe injuries especially if the victim was repeatedly bashed with it.

Did she actually "Laugh"... or was this 'victim blaming' ???? (As is he's implying she'd brought this on herself)

Did anyone else observe her mocking him or similar behavior ?

If he'd mistreated her before-- wouldn't she be hesitant to laugh or do anything that would set him off ?
:moo:

I believe the weapon was the ladder used for the pull-down bed. I was recently on this particular ship and have been on other princess ships. The ladders are not especially heavy. I believe they are aluminum. But I have no doubt that object could inflict severe injuries especially if the victim was repeatedly bashed with it.

Good call. Never been in a Princess stateroom with upper berth and didn't think of a ladder. Do you know if children were in the cabin during the incident?

I have no idea other than what people have reported on cruise-reddit and cruise critic which indicate the children were either present or arrived shortly after the murder.

"Meanwhile, a 2010 bankruptcy filing in the couple&#8217;s names said that Kenneth was a retail manager at Walgreen&#8217;s. However, his LinkedIn page says he was more recently working as a &#8220;licensed sales producer&#8221; for an insurance company. The page says he previously worked as a general manager for a company selling folding tables and chairs. He said he had an associate&#8217;s degree from Broadview University in Sports and Exercise."
http://heavy.com/news/2017/07/krist...-death-murder-alaska-emerald-princess-photos/
I think you will find a history of "hot-headedness" from this man. And, his co-workers have been intimidated by him in the past...especially women...just thinking out loud.

Wow. So incredibly sad and senseless!

I hope this wasn't planned.

I also wonder if there has been an insurance policy recently taken out on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent question FIERYNUGGET!! (you sleuths always think of the best questions.!) Ironically the answer maybe YES..he
most recently (?) became a " Licensed Sales Producer Allstate Insurance Company ..."
per Linkedin info
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kenny-manzanares-45959468

OKAY?? WOW!! Guess what one of his other "career" choices was??
BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS UTAH (I can't make this stuff up, geeez)
Kenny has spent the last 12 years living and working in St. George, Utah. Kenny has three daughters and has been married for 13 years. Prior to becoming the manager at Wal-Greens Kenny worked as a counselor in various youth programs. Kenny has been with Bad Boys Bail Bonds Utah since the beginning of 2011.
https://badboysbailbondsutah.com/contact-us/our-agents/kenny-manzanares/

OKAY?? WOW!! Guess what one of his other "career" choices was??
BAD BOYS BAIL BONDS UTAH (I can't make this stuff up, geeez)

RSBM

Not sure why this merits quote marks around the word career. Just because a business deals with the accused doesn't mean the business itself is shady.

Manzanares, 39, participated in his first court appearance Thursday by teleconference from Juneau, where he is in custody.

He appeared to be crying at times before the hearing and near the start, when U.S. Magistrate Judge Kevin F. McCoy began speaking.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alaska-cruise-ship-death-victim-kristy-manzanares/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also from the link:

Friends told CBS News' Jamie Yuccas that the couple were high school sweethearts and had been married more than 20 years.

Bail has not been set and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Aug. 10. McCoy approved change of venue from Anchorage to Juneau for further proceedings.

Manzanares has no criminal history, according to online Utah court records.

bolded by me

Sad. I don't think this was premeditated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back