AL AL - James Toole, 73, Dothan, 15 May 1995 *body found, identification ongoing*

Hi, Ashley and Mandy. Your grandfather's picture touched me, too. I'm sorry you've run into so many obstacles in your search.

Just to recap a few details:

• The last reported sighting was by your grandmother and cousin at approximately 6 pm on 05/15/95. Your cousin didn't see him, but heard him and your grandmother arguing.

• Just prior to that, you saw him on the road headed in the direction of your aunt's house where your grandmother was staying at the time.
  • Earlier that afternoon, he told you he would not be home the next day, but would be in Florida visiting family
  • He worked a few hours that day at the convenience store across from his house.
  • He did not notify the relatives in Florida of his planned visit.
  • All of his possessions were in his house, including his medication.
  • His car has never been recovered. It was a 1980's model Chevrolet, possibly a Celebrity or Cavalier with a brownish tint, LP no. BLT666.
  • DNA samples were lost and never entered into the system. You are now in the process of getting new samples.
My initial thought is that he never left for Florida. He might've planned to leave the next day, but something happened to him the night of the 15th closer to home.

A few questions --

Do you know if he informed his employer he would be out of town for a while?

Did he tell your grandmother of his travel plans?

Did anyone else live in the home with your aunt and cousin?

Did he have any enemies? Anyone with a grudge? Any recent disagreements (other the argument with your gradmother)?

Did your grandfather own a gun? Do you think there's any possibility that he might've committed suicide? I'm sorry to ask that question, but please realize that I'm an outsider looking in who didn't know your grandfather.

Hi Ashley and Mandy, does anyone in your family have your grandfather's papers? Maybe they were not disposed of? Sometimes people will keep the boxes aside for years before making a decision on what to do with the contents. If so, maybe there are papers concerning the vehicle. This is a long shot, but worth inquiring.

This is a very awkward question to ask, but did your grandfather drink? Was it possible that he went to a bar after the argument with his wife? I'm asking because sometimes guys cry in their beers over conflicts with family, relationships, or work. This would put him in another part of town, if he went out for a drink.

are there any rivers or thick woods around where he was last seen driving..I am thinking maybe he had a accident and no one ever found him..the fact his car has never been found lends me in this direction. I hope you find him and my prayers are with you all!

OK. I am going to try and answer a few more questions. I am trying not to miss any, so if I do, please feel free to re ask. I don't mind the difficult questions because we have already gone thru every scenario in our heads a million times over. It isn't easy to think about, but it is something that is always on our minds. I am willing to deal with the hard questions if it means finding out what happened and maybe bringing some sort of peace for him.

It is my understanding that he did let them (his employers) know that he was going out of town. I am not sure if he specified a time with them or not, but I was told that he had left work early that night.

I am sure that she (my grandmother) did know about his plans to go to Florida, but I never discussed it with her. I know that sounds strange, but it was difficult to get her to talk about it. I never really had a discussion with her about his disappearance. She passed away in 2004.

My Cousin and Aunt were the only two living in the home. My grandmother was not technically living with her. She left the night before after they had an argument. Most of my family had been at my grandparents house the day before for mothers day for lunch. I think that they had the argument sometime after we all left.

If he had any problems with anyone, I am unaware of it. He did drink from time to time. I know that that was one of the reasons that my grandparents argued from time to time. I know that she didn't like when he would drink, but I don't think that it caused problems in other areas of his life. He didn't drink all the time.

My grandmother didn't have a gun, and as far as I know, he did not have one either. Suicide is something that we have considered because I don't think that you can rule it out completely. The problem with that is car was never found. It is hard to kill yourself and then hide your car. I realize that it is something that you have to look into when situations like this come up, but I don't think that he would have killed himself.

I don't think that we have any of his papers or information. We are always trying to figure out avenues that we can take to get any information that we can. It is just so hard considering that it has been so long.

There is lake Eufaula and the Chattahoochee River. I was told that they searched the river and didn't find anything. I was also told that they found a car a while ago in the river that they thought might have been his, but it was a stolen car.

May I ask if you know what the argument with his wife was about? Finances? Relatives? I think the reason for the trip combined with the issue of the argument may help direct sleuthers.

OK. I am going to try and answer a few more questions. I am trying not to miss any, so if I do, please feel free to re ask. I don't mind the difficult questions because we have already gone thru every scenario in our heads a million times over. It isn't easy to think about, but it is something that is always on our minds. I am willing to deal with the hard questions if it means finding out what happened and maybe bringing some sort of peace for him.

It is my understanding that he did let them (his employers) know that he was going out of town. I am not sure if he specified a time with them or not, but I was told that he had left work early that night.

I am sure that she (my grandmother) did know about his plans to go to Florida, but I never
discussed it with her. I know that sounds strange, but it was difficult to get her to talk about it. I never really had a discussion with her
about his disappearance. She passed away in 2004.

My Cousin and Aunt were the only two living in the home. My grandmother was not technically living with her. She left the night before after they had an argument. Most of my family had been at my grandparents house the day before for mothers day for lunch. I think that they had the argument sometime after we all left.

If he had any problems with anyone, I am unaware of it. He did drink from time to time. I know that that was one of the reasons that my grandparents argued from time to time. I know that she didn't like when he would drink, but I don't think that it caused problems in other areas of his life. He didn't drink all the time.

My grandmother didn't have a gun, and as far as I know, he did not have one either. Suicide is something that we have considered because I don't think that you can rule it out completely.
The problem with that is car was never found. It is hard to kill yourself and then hide your car.
I realize that it is something that you have to look into when situations like this come up, but I don't think that he would have killed himself.

I don't think that we have any of his papers or information. We are always trying to figure out avenues that we can take to get any information that we can. It is just so hard considering that it has been so long.

There is lake Eufaula and the Chattahoochee River. I was told that they searched the river and didn't find anything. I was also told that they found a car a while ago in the river that they thought might have been his, but it was a stolen car.

Thanks for answering our questions! I'm getting a clearer picture. Since his suitcase and medication was still in the home, it makes me think he didn't make it out of Alabama. I'm wondering if he went out to get gas or do another errand before his trip. I don't think you know the answer to this, but most people tend to do last minute errands before departing on a trip. He could have had an accident along the way. The troubling thing is that he disappeared after arguing with his wife. They weren't getting along and if it was connected with his drinking, then either his drinking was worse than anyone thought, or his wife wasn't very tolerant. Was she a religious woman? Was he easier to get along with than she? I suspect he left your Aunt's home very upset that evening. He went over there to tell his wife of his plans and to say "bye," but it sounds like he got a bad reception. His mind was probably racing when he left.

Did anyone do a search along the roadsides, especially wooded areas?

Thanks!

I am sure that she (my grandmother) did know about his plans to go to Florida, but I never discussed it with her. I know that sounds strange, but it was difficult to get her to talk about it. I never really had a discussion with her about his disappearance. She passed away in 2004.

My grandmother didn't have a gun, and as far as I know, he did not have one either. Suicide is something that we have considered because I don't think that you can rule it out completely. The problem with that is car was never found. It is hard to kill yourself and then hide your car. I realize that it is something that you have to look into when situations like this come up, but I don't think that he would have killed himself.

BBM

Amanda, have you any idea how come it was difficult for your grandmother to speak of your grandfather's disappearance?

Did your grandmother ever mention your grandfather at all in the years after he disappeared? If so, would you be comfortable sharing what she had to say?

Do you know if your grandfather had ever been married before he married your grandmother? Did he have any children in addition to your dad and your aunt?

Thank you so much for all the information you and Ashley have provided to us! Thinking about your grandfather's disappearance is keeping me awake at night.....

Amanda, You probably did this already, but have you talked to your Aunt Linda about his disappearance? Her perspective may be of help. Your grandmother probably discussed her issues about him with her.

After reading this newest article, I have to wonder if his vehicle didn't go off the side of the road? Like in the Gail Palmgren case?

That is a possibility that we think alot about. They did have many foot searches during the time he went missing. They also looked in the river for his car but from nothing.

Hi Ashley and Amanda. I was just reading about your grandfather's case. After reading details porvided by you, I don't think he ever left Pansey on his trip. I believe he was involved in an accident or that someone harmed him before he could leave.

Are you familiar with ..I believe they were referred to as The Enterprise 5 ? It was a group of people from Enterprise that went out one night to a club in Opp, AL and vanished. All kinds of leads were followed up on, the Pea River was searched by dive teams as they would have had to crossed it to get home and it was as if they had vanished without a trace.

Several years later, the river was very low, and their car was discoverd where they had run off the road and into the Pea river. They had been there the whole time and the searches had missed them.

That reminds me of your granfather's case. I believe he is still in the general area undiscovered if he did not meet with foul play.

I hope you can find some answers as it is a terrible thing to need to find the truth and not be able to.

Bringing this back to the front of everyone's minds.

I am most certain that the FL John Doe is Mr Toole. It drives me nuts that they have yet to either confirm or rule this out.

I am most certain that the FL John Doe is Mr Toole. It drives me nuts that they have yet to either confirm or rule this out.

Do you have a link to this John Doe? I can't seem to find him. Thanks!

Hi Ashley and Amanda. I was just reading about your grandfather's case. After reading details porvided by you, I don't think he ever left Pansey on his trip. I believe he was involved in an accident or that someone harmed him before he could leave.

Are you familiar with ..I believe they were referred to as The Enterprise 5 ? It was a group of people from Enterprise that went out one night to a club in Opp, AL and vanished. All kinds of leads were followed up on, the Pea River was searched by dive teams as they would have had to crossed it to get home and it was as if they had vanished without a trace.

Several years later, the river was very low, and their car was discoverd where they had run off the road and into the Pea river. They had been there the whole time and the searches had missed them.

That reminds me of your granfather's case. I believe he is still in the general area undiscovered if he did not meet with foul play.

I hope you can find some answers as it is a terrible thing to need to find the truth and not be able to.

Thank you so much. We've been in contact with the Sheriff's Dept. about diving the River again. However, we haven't heard back about it. They always have some excuse, "It's been so long", etc. They were also waiting on some DNA results which they have yet to call us back about. My sister and I just keep running into walls and don't know where to turn...

Can you please post a link of which John Doe you are talking about.

Thank you,
Ashley

Just keep on at them about it. Don't let them put you off. I hope you get osme answers.

Thank you so much. We've been in contact with the Sheriff's Dept. about diving the River again. However, we haven't heard back about it. They always have some excuse, "It's been so long", etc. They were also waiting on some DNA results which they have yet to call us back about. My sister and I just keep running into walls and don't know where to turn...

I would think Depending on the type of water to be searched, that side scan sonar might be a more effective option. You should try contacting this guy, his name is Dennis. He is awesome!! I know he goes all over at little to no cost.

http://www.teamwatterssonar.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back